2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

How are we liking ping i230’s?

Kuuuch

Going on about a year now with my Mizuno 223’s and I am just not a fan. Switched back to my old ping ie1’s.

Haven’t hit the i230’s and didn’t find a lot of user testing reviews. No matter what I try, I always go back to ping irons/woods just because of the forgiveness. 

If you like them, how’s the gapping/feel/forgiveness/ball flight etc.?

• Like 1

Ill chime in. Coming from srixon zx7. I love my i230s. They're just great all around irons. Forgiving too. As my swing has changed (been working on it) the zx7 would get a little low spin and I hit the irons too far on occasion. The i230s are very consistent for me. I did power spec my 230s because I hit the ball very high. Distance wise I'd say I actually hit the 230s a little farther but they are more consistent front to back. Feel and sound are nice too, muted and solid, not quite as soft as zx7 when flushed but it's not like they feel hard or anything. Finish is holding up well, and I don't have any issues with the badge in the back either. I do use iron head covers though lol. 

IE1s are great irons and I'd say you can't go wrong with the i230s if thats what you decide. I'm curious about the blueprint s irons but I'd be wasting money because the 230s are really good (for me). Lastly the set 4 iron is my favorite club, really easy to hit any shot and pretty long too. 

Good luck and hope this helps!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kuuuch said:

Going on about a year now with my Mizuno 223’s and I am just not a fan. Switched back to my old ping ie1’s.

Haven’t hit the i230’s and didn’t find a lot of user testing reviews. No matter what I try, I always go back to ping irons/woods just because of the forgiveness. 

Can I ask what about 223s don't you like? 

35 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Can I ask what about 223s don't you like? 

For sure! I just do not like the 7-4 iron at all. Feels/operates like a completely different set of clubs than the pw-8 iron imo. My 8 iron goes ~163 and if I step on the 7 I’ve hit it 190 on trackman. I think they’re too hot in the long irons and the long irons are very difficult to hit a soft 3/4 shot with. 

If the whole set was like the pw-8 iron I’d like them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I put the i230s into play this year and have been having my best iron play this season. The i230s tick every box for me. I’ve played Srixon irons in past because my swing is on the steep side but do not get the height I’d like. The pings give me extra height, spin and control. Some think they look too big for the category of iron they are but I’ve always liked the look of ping irons.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kuuuch said:

For sure! I just do not like the 7-4 iron at all. Feels/operates like a completely different set of clubs than the pw-8 iron imo. My 8 iron goes ~163 and if I step on the 7 I’ve hit it 190 on trackman. I think they’re too hot in the long irons and the long irons are very difficult to hit a soft 3/4 shot with. 

I'm not as long as you but I weakened the lofts on 4-7i  and actually settled some of the "hotness " 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kuuuch said:

I'd agree with the 7 and up, although I haven't owned the 223, I did hit about 20 or so balls with a 7 iron and it was stupid long, I felt like it would be too long for me to play if that even makes sense lol

• Like 1

Love the i230's. Massive improvement in sound/feel compared to the i525/G425 that I previously gamed. Still very forgiving. I ended up going power spec because I like to play a little fade which tends to create a lot of spin. I'm still hitting them maybe 5-7 yards shorter than the stock i525/G425's but I don't care, the consistency, feel & performance more than make up for it. A+. 

P.S. very happy with my iron play stats too! Always great to have data! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChipLife said:

Love my i230s (modus 105x)...I've never felt as confident with a set of irons. For the size & feel, they have no business being as forgiving as they are. They are the first set of irons to cause me to stop tinkering...

Same set - with 105-x 

Killer combo Agreed 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

I’ve been seriously considering some i230’s

Currently playing current gen T100 and whilst I love them, my game isn’t what it used to be and I only play once a week so thinking of making a change to something slightly more forgiving (especially in the 4/5 iron) but not shovely!!

Options are i230 or P770

On 7/30/2023 at 5:22 PM, Kuuuch said:

I had the same issue with my 223s as well. 

Really wanting to LOVE mine.  So far it's an extremely likeable iron.  Very forgiving, feels nice, plenty of distance in STD lofts... but there's just something holding them back for me.  I haven't had that, "these are the ones" feeling yet with them like I have had in the past with a couple others.  I love Ping so I will continue to try them but I wouldn't say I am over the moon about them like I had hoped.  

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

On 7/30/2023 at 4:22 PM, Kuuuch said:

I actually bought a 221/225 combo here. I like it better than the 223 for some reason. The 7-PW blade is very forgiving and confidence-inspiring and the 4-6 are stupid easy to hit. I'm no die-hard blade guy, but they aren't your run-of-the-mill intimidating requires-D1 college-skill type of blade. You just have to adjust distance expectations. With the blades/225 set, I'm 7-178, 6-197, 5-215, 4-228 or so carry. My MP20 MMCs are 7-180, 6-193, 5-208, 4-221; much more consistent gapping. I've flown the green with the 225 5-iron: the back of the green is 217 from the box. Ball speed is ridiculous.  

I should probably weaken the 6/5/4 more if I keep them. Even though they are built "weak" as a blended set, there is just a ton more power out of these vs a player's iron without all the tech. 

I love Mizunos but each time I have tried the 223, it was kind of a "meh" experience. 

8 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I actually bought a 221/225 combo here. I like it better than the 223 for some reason. The 7-PW blade is very forgiving and confidence-inspiring and the 4-6 are stupid easy to hit. I'm no die-hard blade guy, but they aren't your run-of-the-mill intimidating requires-D1 college-skill type of blade. You just have to adjust distance expectations. With the blades/225 set, I'm 7-178, 6-197, 5-215, 4-228 or so carry. My MP20 MMCs are 7-180, 6-193, 5-208, 4-221; much more consistent gapping. I've flown the green with the 225 5-iron: the back of the green is 217 from the box. Ball speed is ridiculous.  

I should probably weaken the 6/5/4 more if I keep them. Even though they are built "weak" as a blended set, there is just a ton more power out of these vs a player's iron without all the tech. 

I love Mizunos but each time I have tried the 223, it was kind of a "meh" experience. 

I was originally fit for the 221's but ended up choosing the 223's because I didn't want to play blades - also thought i might have just been hitting it really well during the fitting and maybe that had something to do with it. Looking back I wish I got the 221's because a good friend of mine has them and they aren't that hard to hit for blades. 

On 7/30/2023 at 8:29 AM, Kuuuch said:

Rather large thread here - 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

On 7/30/2023 at 8:29 AM, Kuuuch said:

still in my ie1's - I think the 230's look better, but marginal improvement over past I sets.

Tsr2 9*

BRNR Mini 13.5*

Gen 5 XF 17.5*

818 H1 20*/24*

Ping i210 6-P (29*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

How are they off super firm , baked out fairways with those big soles?

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

On 8/2/2023 at 2:19 PM, Kale_m said:

How are they off super firm , baked out fairways with those big soles?

Terrible for me.  I have gone back and forth quite a bit between my ZX7/Z Forged combo set and the i230.  As of yesterday, I am sticking with the Srixons.  The V sole is far better for me than the bouncier i230 sole.  The Pings are great irons, feel nice and all, but I do not strike them as well..  Firmer conditions have only made my striking with them worse, I'm typically 5 degrees down with my irons fwiw.

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"