2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping Eye2 Upgrade

secolvin19

Been out of the game for 20 years and coming back.  I have some old Eye2’s and ‘was’ a 20 handicapper.  Technology has changed the modern iron.  I have read about the lower loft, thinner face, tungston, MOI, spin, higher flight, etc … it can be exhausting.  If I were to look for a used set of G15, G25 or G400 to upgrade the Eye2, what would you recommend and why?

38 minutes ago, secolvin19 said:

Been out of the game for 20 years and coming back.  I have some old Eye2’s and ‘was’ a 20 handicapper.  Technology has changed the modern iron.  I have read about the lower loft, thinner face, tungston, MOI, spin, higher flight, etc … it can be exhausting.  If I were to look for a used set of G15, G25 or G400 to upgrade the Eye2, what would you recommend and why?

G25s are GREAT irons. I played them for a long time and kick myself for getting rid of them.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

G25/G30 (better looks and slightly better feel) or G410 (larger jump in MOI).  Can read more in the link below.

Realistically, the biggest thing is whether the old Ping Eye 2 shafts are too heavy for you.  If not, can also just play them for a few months to get some sense of what you need (lowest lofted iron that can be reasonably hit, etc).

• Like 2

The nostalgia of ping eye2’s… great set of irons. I grew up with a set before eventually upgrading to a set of G30’s. All fantastic irons, just make sure your lie angle (dot color), length, and shaft flex/weight are a good match. I’m not sure much of the differences in performance between, for instance, a set of G25 vs. G30 but I’d imagine they’re pretty similar in general. 

I think it depends on how much you’re willing to spend. If you aren’t too worried about budget then it’s hard to not argue in favor of some used G425’s. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the options you mentioned though. Just make sure the specs are in line with what you need, cheers! 

Driver: Srixon ZX5 LS 8.5 - Hzrdus Black Gen 4

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White 75

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (3-P) - Modus 115

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore - Modus Wedge

Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB

You might find interesting:

https://store-k9nvqai7wz.mybigcommerce.com/content/PDFs/Head_MPFs/MPF_PING.pdf

Some of the clubs you mentioned have a lower COG than the others, which should mean higher launch and lower spin, and IMO those low COG clubs seem to be designed for those who rely on getting the ball in the air by hitting up on it rather than down and getting spin.

I would argue that modern tech has more to do with packaging than performance, and don’t see how of the clubs are an upgrade over the Eye 2’s…unless you want the low COG.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

You might find interesting:

https://store-k9nvqai7wz.mybigcommerce.com/content/PDFs/Head_MPFs/MPF_PING.pdf

Some of the clubs you mentioned have a lower COG than the others, which should mean higher launch and lower spin, and IMO those low COG clubs seem to be designed for those who rely on getting the ball in the air by hitting up on it rather than down and getting spin.

I would argue that modern tech has more to do with packaging than performance, and don’t see how of the clubs are an upgrade over the Eye 2’s…unless you want the low COG.

Low CG increases spin, not lower it.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

The eye 2's work all the things you need to play well that iron does.

Set a goal, get help, spend money on things that will help you feel and play better.

Lessons even group lessons for pointers. Driver, putter, wedge. regrip, push-cart, bag

You need to get a driver, putter and wedge that you love and want to grow with. Just facts. 

Also a range finder and take some lessons to brush up FASTER I'm serious about this BECAUSE if you've been out for 20 what if it takes you 2 to get back into it. Might as well take some group lessons to help you get closer to where you were FASTER. You don't have another 20 years to neglect your game. So lessons will help you have more fun.

Also get a range finder it will help shoot lower scores faster a win win win.

With the eye 2's I would regrip for sure and consider reshafting for the performance boost you're looking for. 

No reason not to get great shoes and a bag push cart too you'll feel a thousand times better.

Let us know how it goes. @secolvin19 

• Like 4

The eye2s were classic. But just about anything would be an upgrade. IMO, the first response you got was fantastic. The G25s are, IMO, the best G series iron PING made. The optimal blend of forgiveness, size, feel, etc.

• Like 3

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

The g25s had some magic and I rue the day I sold them. I’m into some i230s now though and the lines, curves and beef all remind me of my old eye 2s in an odd way. 

• Like 1

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

Any recent PING's that will match the Eye 2s?  I.e. still kind of cool after decades.

I'm sure many sets out there will get the job done (like the G25s and G30s), and that will still be the case a decade from now.  From the Eye 2's time, I also think the DCIs (original black and gold triangle version) and the 845s were pretty good.  The Zings were good clubs too, no one liked to look at them.  But now, the Eye 2s seem to have a bit more associated with them.  The wedges are a bit different, although realistically many of the features have since been copied and I'm not sure they are really any better (especially considering condition).

I still have a 975D, PT fairway, and various Eye 2 wedges.  All other clubs have been moved, since while they were good at the time, they just don't seem as cool.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nessism said:

One of the main differences between the Eye 2 and the G-series, is that the G's have a more forgiving sole to the steep miss.  Eye 2's tend to dig.  

My opinion is to target a G set from G15 to present.  Let your best fit and budget guide you.  The older clubs, up to G30, feel and sound better, because the face is thicker.  The newer clubs went spring face, and may be a little longer, but the sound and feel won't be quite as good.

I'm surprised you didn't stick with the 410s, as my impression was that they were a bit better on the misses.  I guess the sound and feel was preferred, and the additional help only matters so much every now and then?

Eye 2s won't hurt your enjoyment or your development. 

If you want new-to-you clubs, get a Ping with a G at the beginning.

There are many days I wish I had kept my G5s, or my i10s, or my G15s, or my S58s, or my ie1s ... You get the idea. But I still have my Eye 2s.

Edited by tatertot
  • Like 3

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

10 hours ago, agolf1 said:

Any recent PING's that will match the Eye 2s?  I.e. still kind of cool after decades.

I'm sure many sets out there will get the job done (like the G25s and G30s), and that will still be the case a decade from now.  From the Eye 2's time, I also think the DCIs (original black and gold triangle version) and the 845s were pretty good.  The Zings were good clubs too, no one liked to look at them.  But now, the Eye 2s seem to have a bit more associated with them.  The wedges are a bit different, although realistically many of the features have since been copied and I'm not sure they are really any better (especially considering condition).

I still have a 975D, PT fairway, and various Eye 2 wedges.  All other clubs have been moved, since while they were good at the time, they just don't seem as cool.

I think the current release cycles make it hard for a club to have that kind of rep, even if it deserves it.

The Eye2 was 'the club' for years.  Ping was under pressure to release something 12-24 months later and hype it as the next best thing.  People could buy it 3 years into the cycle and be just as happy as when they bought it new.

IMO, sometimes a company makes something so good that the next club is invariably a letdown. I think this happened to Cleveland with the TA7.  They were absolutely fantastic game improvement clubs that took everything about the TA5 and made them better.  Cleveland's subsequent irons felt like a step back or gimmicky.  (like novelty run in the Carbon Metal Matrix' era).  They didn't make anything as good as the TA7 and the newer releases hurt the brand more than it helped.

Every Ping iron since the G25 has been a step back in looks/feel or both.  The current models went buckwild with loft.

• Like 3

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I'd just play the Eye 2's - one of the best irons ever made, they hold up today as well as anything else IMO.   Play em - get your footing and figure out where you want to go with this silly sport and then look at what's out there, but there's no reason to not use em if you have em. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

So after hitting the Eye2 for 6 weeks or so, I have come to the conclusion these are great clubs, just not for me.  I am a Sweeper.  These Eye2s are digging if I hit behind the ball too much.  I need something that will forgive me for that. I get forgiveness on heel or toe mis-hits, but not if you hit behind the ball.  From what I have read, I think the G15 with a wide sole would be a great choice.  But does the G25 have as wide a sole for a Sweeper swing?

• Like 1

If I was to suggest a g iron it would either be g25 or g410. The g25 I played for six years, they were great clubs and looked good for being a g iron.

The g410 I’ve had four years now and they go further with narrower dispersion than my g25s, however not everyone will like the loft change. I can hit the 20 degree four iron quite well repeatedly but it won’t be for everyone.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport Two
Titleist pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

• 3 months later...

Not at all understanding the description of a “narrow sole”. The Eye2s are quite a bit wider than my other current Ping set of i500s and certainly wider than my Mizuno MP30s. If I could create an amalgam from a number of clubs I’ve had it would start with the Eye2s but with the offset of the Mizunos, the distance of Zing2s (modern lofts), and a lighter steel shaft (Elevate?). Keep the topline thin, drastically reduce the offset, and update the lofts. Perfect! 

G25. Find a set +/- a color (lie)code and have them bent to your liking.

Taylormade OG Stealth 10.5º (Ventus Red R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5 or Odyssey WH Versa 3T

Royal M Taper 360's

2 hours ago, BMC said:

The PING i200 and i210s are the modern version of Eye 2s.

Except for the bounce.  Eye2 and Eye2+ irons don't really have any bounce until you get to the 8i or so.  Long irons are negative bounce. 

Well, and the CG; the Eye2 CG is lower.

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors