2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Man this is getting tough.... getting old SUCKS!

spineguy

"Almost useless" suggests some hope in the future.  In my case it was just like a toddler learning to walk and talk.    At first I'd fling the pencil across the room.  Don't remember if I was every able to pick one up off the floor from a wheelchair.  I think not.  I'd practice writing every day, even though it looked awful at first.  I got to do my childhood over again!  I built model rockets because they were the simplest. I chased them across an old farm field at a nearby monthly rocket launch.   I built some stick and tissue model airplanes and a functional wood sailboat. Eventually I stopped doing that and spent my time gardening in the yard.  Learned how to remove tree stumps with hand tools.  Took out a big maple tree stump with an ax, a little at a time.  Really hard wood.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 3:13 PM, spineguy said:

Enjoy your youth fellow WRX'ers...  here is my problem

Been a long time prov1x user and looking for more...

as i get older, my swing speed is declining.  that poses a terrible problem...  need distance but with a lower spinning ball and i525's, i can not stop a ball for the life of me!!  so frustrating hitting the front of the green and watching it roll off the back.

So... any suggestions from my fellow aging golfers....  I play good golf (handicap 4) but driver is 230 crushed and 7 iron is 145-152 so I need help... need stopping power from 5 iron down but need distance...

I am NOT brand loyal if it proves beneficial...

thoughts??

Spineguy

Why are you wanting to use a lower spinning ball? Before spending any money on new clubs, try a higher launching ball and/or a ball with more spin.  Get your shots higher so they stop on the green.  I'm 65 and use a custom set of clubs that launches the ball high. Stronger players hitting my irons will launch it really high but at my age they're great.  My shots stop at the mark. Of course, using a 3 or 4 hybrid I can get a little bit of roll out but never enough to keep rolling through the green.  If you can't find a ball that works with your clubs then you'll need to go to the golf store and hit all the irons and see which ones launch highest with your swing.  Good luck.  I'm a single digit handicap as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, darsony said:

Why are you wanting to use a lower spinning ball? Before spending any money on new clubs, try a higher launching ball and/or a ball with more spin.  Get your shots higher so they stop on the green.

Yes!  Low spin, (and softer ball) is not necessarily longer.
   Try ProV1 X left dash or Callaway Chrome Soft X LS. Still plenty of spin, and are longer off the tee than most for lower swing speeds.   Both are high compression, I use the CS as I find the -PV somewhat clicky.  

Being a forever prov1x user, I was just wondering if too much spin off the driver and long irons was causing shorter length. Also, was wondering with my swing speed decline, if I was even compressing the prov1x enough.  

So, I was looking for the optimal flight with driver with adequate spin off 6-pw shots.  Unicorn probably but again I only know prov1x. 

1 minute ago, spineguy said:

Being a forever prov1x user, I was just wondering if too much spin off the driver and long irons was causing shorter length. Also, was wondering with my swing speed decline, if I was even compressing the prov1x enough.  

So, I was looking for the optimal flight with driver with adequate spin off 6-pw shots.  Unicorn probably but again I only know prov1x. 

See my post above yours. 

On 8/28/2023 at 3:57 PM, spineguy said:

i know the p790 are jacked but was hoping the 95g shaft would launch higher...

Shafts are not the answer to increase launch and spin, you need less loft and the right ball combination which should give you a better decent angle. Watch some of the TXG videos. Unfortunately less loft will usually mean a little less distance. I’d try weakening your P790 1-2 degrees and see what difference that makes.

Edited by Sparty4202
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

On 8/28/2023 at 3:57 PM, spineguy said:

playing titleist TSR3 with hazardous CB 50 shaft

new p790 with DG 95 reg shafts

Prov1x balls

i know the p790 are jacked but was hoping the 95g shaft would launch higher...

Stop using the ProV's if you want more distance.  Too spinny for your swing speed.  Try the AVX if you are a Titleist loyalist. 

Other good candidate balls for more distance are:

Vice Tour - reminds me of the old Titleist NXT Tour

Callaway ERC Soft

Bridgestone BRX

Callaway Supersoft - My buddy moved from a ProV to the Supersoft and picked up 20 yards on his drives and 10 yards on his irons and the ball goes straighter

Pinnacle Rush

I've played all of them at one point or another and have never had any problems holding a green even with a hybrid or a 5 iron.

• Confused 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

On 8/31/2023 at 8:37 AM, ShortGolfer said:

"Almost useless" suggests some hope in the future.  In my case it was just like a toddler learning to walk and talk.    At first I'd fling the pencil across the room.  Don't remember if I was every able to pick one up off the floor from a wheelchair.  I think not.  I'd practice writing every day, even though it looked awful at first.  I got to do my childhood over again!  I built model rockets because they were the simplest. I chased them across an old farm field at a nearby monthly rocket launch.   I built some stick and tissue model airplanes and a functional wood sailboat. Eventually I stopped doing that and spent my time gardening in the yard.  Learned how to remove tree stumps with hand tools.  Took out a big maple tree stump with an ax, a little at a time.  Really hard wood.

I'm doing all the exercises the therapists told me to do and they have helped to a certain extent. It's been about 5 months since the stroke with not a whole lot of difference. The therapists have also told me that whatever movement I have at 18 months is probably the best it will get. So, I have another year to improve as much as I can.

When I had my stroke the time limit for recovery was just six months.

In the twenty five years since the stroke I have learned a lot of about stroke recovery.  Of course it just applies to me. 😉

This is my 3rd short season of playing.  Not only do we have a short season in New England, but I spent the first half working on my gardens.

My natural shot is a high fade.  It is perfect for digging balls out of bunkers.

This season I worked on ball first contact, hitting the ground first.  I broke it down to first just hitting the ball so it sounds good with straight ball flight.

Now I'm working on aiming it and digging the ball out of the rough.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 12:40 PM, Sparty4202 said:

Shafts are not the answer to increase launch and spin, you need less loft and the right ball combination which should give you a better decent angle. Watch some of the TXG videos. Unfortunately less loft will usually mean a little less distance. I’d try weakening your P790 1-2 degrees and see what difference that makes.

That’s not correct. Going from a 105 gram shaft to a 70 gram shaft will absolutely have a big effect on adding launch and spin.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

13 hours ago, hammergolf said:

That’s not correct. Going from a 105 gram shaft to a 70 gram shaft will absolutely have a big effect on adding launch and spin.

He’s currently playing a TT DG95 which is a high launch/high spin shaft from True Temper a 70gram shaft will not produce a significantly higher amount of launch and spin and a 25 gram weight difference can cause other swing issues. 

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

12 minutes ago, Sparty4202 said:

He’s currently playing a TT DG95 which is a high launch/high spin shaft from True Temper a 70gram shaft will not produce a significantly higher amount of launch and spin and a 25 gram weight difference can cause other swing issues. 

I went from 95gram steel to 70 gram graphite when I injured my shoulder. Launch angle was almost 2* higher, ballspeed went up almost 2mph, spin increased 700rpms, peak height went up almost 15 feet, and decent angle increased over 2*. I’m speaking from fact, not opinion.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 8/31/2023 at 11:46 AM, spineguy said:

Mygolfspy.com just did their extensive ball test. You can pour over all the data. They tested slow, med, and fast swing speed. I’d suggest you sort by slow swing speed for spin and descent angle on irons. Then see if the best choices still hold their own off the tee with driver.

one of their general conclusions was that everyone, eve slower swing speeds, can get speed off the clubface with high compression balls. Hard is fast. The question is whether the lower spin off slower lower compression balls makes up for the initial launch conditions with further distance due to the lower spin.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm right there with you .....soon to be 58 , notoriously low launch and spin guy but despise hybrids .

Got into i230s which are weaker lofts than i525s or P790 but I still get roughly same carry as you're seeing .....the bigger difference is launch ..... my long irons now are a strength.....4, 5 and 6i are very useful....but now I have a 7wd for that 185+ carry shot in lieu of hybrids....since if shorter than desired,  I have worked hard on accuracy...

Oh and a ball like ERC SOFT might give you some distance back but that's minimal over the prov1/x ....it is straighter with less side spin though

Also add VICE PRO PLUS to the list...

Edited by SwooshLT

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, gioreeko said:

I'm 58 and just had a stroke out of nowhere about 7 weeks ago. I'm a big guy, 6 foot 6 and in shape at around 225. LIft weights at least 4 times a week, healthy and strong. Then boom, out of nowhere, had a stroke and was pretty close to dying they tell me. I was lucky I live close to a great hospital for stroke care, and got there within minutes, which saved my life. I was golfing again a few weeks later, the docs are really amazed at how quickly I bounced back. 

That's amazing! 

I've had CV-19 which is shown to cause clotting.  Since I've had it 12/20 I've been taking a low dose baby aspirin daily with my blood pressure meds.  My pressure has been steady normal for 12 years.  I also have 1 of the 2 genes for a clotting disorder so I worry about stroke, even taking the baby aspirin daily.  I'm 56 turning 57 in January. 

I'm going to need a knee replacement within the next 3-4 years which is overdue by a few years.  LOL.  Trying to push it off until I'm at least 60.  Played golf yesterday and even though I  had a cart, it was a hilly course.  Still found myself walking up and down steep hills to greens and tee boxes, down ravines to a wayward tee shot.  After driving home I walked like I was 90 to my front door after sitting for 20 minutes.  Woke up in middle of the night from the pain.  

IT SUCKS GETTING OLD!!  The alternative sucks more though. LOL

• Like 2

I manage my weight by cooking small portions of good food.   My favorite market had a sale on tenderloin so I bought two small steaks and marinated them yesterday for more flavor.

I'll often buy a Porterhouse and divide it into three small steaks and use the bone for making soup. 

I used to cook steaks on a gas grill until I ran out of propane so I switched to a carbon steel skillet on the electric range.

When I went to Cape Cod to play at Highland links I had light snacks for lunch and a big dinner out with friends the day I drove out there.

Walked the course, climbed the lighthouse, and hiked out to the beach at Race Point the next day.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spineguy said:

Stroke and heart attack scare the hell out of me.  53 and way over weight and bloodwork not terrible but not fantastic either.  

not sure if it’s too late but time to get right. Don’t drink or smoke but I love pasta, steaks and just good food.  

not sure if too late…

I'm 56 turning 57 in January and 5'10.5" - 5'11".  In January 2023 I hit 306+.  Cholesterol was approaching 275-290.  A1C was 5.7-5.8 and sugar at about 110-115 (Pre-diabetic).  Doctor wanted to put me on all kinds of meds.  I'm already on BP meds.  I convinced him to let me try to get things under control without meds.  Made an appointment for new physical with bloodwork for 7/30. 

By 7/30 I had lost 45 lbs. My cholesterol got down to 174 (200< is normal range).  A1C down to 5.3 with sugar at 85 (normal).  All blood numbers in the green.  To date I'm down 56 lbs. hoping for another 10 - 15 lbs by 12/2 (my 2nd daughters wedding)  My goal weight is the 230+/- range.

As far as exercise with bad knees, golf, walking and just now starting some light weight training with physical therapy for my knees.  Nothing crazy..

It's never too late!

• Like 3

Definitely try and get your weight down, and eat healthy. The fact that I'm considered really fit and active had a lot of me recovering so quickly the doctors said. My brain went without oxygen for at least 90 minutes, and somehow I seemed to have gotten through it pretty unscathed. 

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

On 8/29/2023 at 8:47 AM, wantacigar said:

I do a Keto based diet of no sugar, bread, rice, potatoes, etc.  Basically protein (eggs, beef, pork, chicken, fish and lamb) and vegetables (spinach, broccoli, fresh string beans, zucchini,  Brussel sprouts)

I lost about 60 pounds in 2017 doing Keto/low carb (6ft 1, went from 260 to about 200), ate pretty much what you describe.  Was pretty hard core for several months, then more and more vegetables as time went on.  Lost about 10 pounds a month when I stuck with it. 

However, had a pretty serious heart attack in October 2020 while walking and playing golf, had just turned 59, I had gained about 10 pounds back, but was still in pretty good shape.   Luckily I was playing with a doctor who convinced me to get off the course and call 911.  Had a 99% blockage in the left descending artery, the "widow maker".  But we got in so fast and and the EMS got there fast and got me to the hospital fast, I had a stent put in within and hour of getting off the course.....I pretty much fully recovered with no damage, was playing golf 3 weeks later.  

My current diet isn't what it was, I gave up the Keto, but have gained another 15 pounds.  I really need to just cut the sugar/bread/potatoes/rice and I know I would lose weight.

• Like 1

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

On 8/29/2023 at 8:47 AM, wantacigar said:

edit, double post

Edited by Mike_C

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

17 hours ago, gioreeko said:

I'm 58 and just had a stroke out of nowhere about 7 weeks ago. I'm a big guy, 6 foot 6 and in shape at around 225. LIft weights at least 4 times a week, healthy and strong. Then boom, out of nowhere, had a stroke and was pretty close to dying they tell me. I was lucky I live close to a great hospital for stroke care, and got there within minutes, which saved my life. I was golfing again a few weeks later, the docs are really amazed at how quickly I bounced back. 

Yes, strokes can happen to anyone regardless of health but some things I've done in life contributed. My X-rays showed that I had another stroke a while back that didn't affect me at all. Looking back now I would be comfortable saying I know when it happened. Several years ago I had the worst headache I ever had. This last one got me on the right side. Fortunately I was able to recover my right leg function well enough to walk reasoably well but my right arm is next to useless.

Edited by rd1959

6 hours ago, rd1959 said:

Yes, strokes can happen to anyone regardless of health but some things I've done in life contributed. My X-rays showed that I had another stroke a while back that didn't affect me at all. Looking back now I would be comfortable saying I know when it happened. Several years ago I had the worst headache I ever had. This last one got me on the right side. Fortunately I was able to recover my right leg function well enough to walk reasoably well but my right arm is next to useless.

man, sorry to hear that, are you able to golf at all still?

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

15 hours ago, Mike_C said:

I lost about 60 pounds in 2017 doing Keto/low carb (6ft 1, went from 260 to about 200), ate pretty much what you describe.  Was pretty hard core for several months, then more and more vegetables as time went on.  Lost about 10 pounds a month when I stuck with it. 

However, had a pretty serious heart attack in October 2020 while walking and playing golf, had just turned 59, I had gained about 10 pounds back, but was still in pretty good shape.   Luckily I was playing with a doctor who convinced me to get off the course and call 911.  Had a 99% blockage in the left descending artery, the "widow maker".  But we got in so fast and and the EMS got there fast and got me to the hospital fast, I had a stent put in within and hour of getting off the course.....I pretty much fully recovered with no damage, was playing golf 3 weeks later.  

My current diet isn't what it was, I gave up the Keto, but have gained another 15 pounds.  I really need to just cut the sugar/bread/potatoes/rice and I know I would lose weight.

You don't have to cut any of those foods out completely, portion control is more important, which most everybody has a problem with. I've got a bad habit with only eating at dinner time and end up "pigging out" on all the wrong foods. 

• Like 2