PXG 0317 T - Impressions and Discussion

Soccerrick10

22 hours ago, 055 said:

That is great! I was surprised to learn that the path issue could be shaft related.

Several things surprised me. I think it was as much shaft weight as anything, but also shaft feel, and how I react to it. Really, the fit showed me the dramatic difference between a “hanging back” swing versus being in the right sequence. I think with more weight I swing a little more patiently and give myself time to get my low point forward. So if I do that, so many other pieces fall into place, such as path. 

Getting low point more forward before the arms come down also takes away some steepness in the swing, hence the flatter lie angle works.

But keep in mind it is all relative. Standard lie angles have gotten higher, there is no industry “standard,” so 2 degrees flat on a PXG 0317T is only 0.5 degrees flatter than the MP59’s I played back in the day. The fitter did not know about those clubs so he fit the lie angle fresh and that was what he recommended. Pretty good job I’d say. 

The unusual tweak for me is I fit a heavier, stiffer shaft but with a lower swing weight. I would not have guessed that. With these clubs, PXG can set it up however you want with whatever swing weight and no need for lead tape or tip weights — or drilling out weight. They just change the weight on the back. 

Finally, and an important point for those who look at these heads and various shafts: PXG uses the parallel blanks version of the C Taper. I know they are supposed to be the same as the taper tips, but the C Taper stiff in parallel feels easier to swing to me vs the taper tip. Hireko’s data says the parallel plays a bit softer and I believe that. I loved how it felt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 10/27/2023 at 9:53 AM, dmeeksDC said:

So I posted that I went through a 90 minute iron fitting at PXG Virginia with Master Fitter Tim Goodiehl and wanted to share my story for others who are thinking about it. Had a few messages from buddies curious about the outcome. It is quite a process if you do it. I will tell it just like it happened. Sorry for the lengthy post. 

Started by hitting some shots with my Wilson Staff Model CB 7 iron to get a baseline. Very nice irons. These had Modus 120 stiff shafts, a set I was not fit for but is a shaft I have been fit for in the past. Swing weight D4. Loft 1 degree strong. 

I had mentioned to the fitter I have been thinking about going lighter than 114g so we started with the Nippon 950 in the Gen 6 P head. I was all over the place. About 5 swings and he said, “Hand me the club. Too light.” Head was fine but looked kind of big and in looking at my club speed (81 mph, 7 iron) I noticed it was lower than I expected. “Getting old,” I said to myself. While that is true, it was not the reason for the speed drop, as it turned out. 

Kind of bummed. Fitter says to me, “Trust me, we’ll go through this and at some point, it will click. It will happen.”

Switched to a Dynamic Gold 105 with an 0317T head. Immediately loved the head, felt great, but still not great on accuracy. Shots moving left, coming a bit over the top. The strikes were pretty good but path was not. Certainly not flag hunting. 

I then did hit a handful of shots with the 0317CB and it’s quite nice. Just a preference that I loved the look from address and the feel of the 0317T. Fitter said it fits me well if I like it. “You don’t need a larger head. Your issues are about path.”

Next up: Modus 105 stiff. For whatever reason I was better with this one than the DG105 and I liked it more. Numbers were pretty good and I was thinking maybe this is a fit, but the fitter said there’s still too much variance in shot height and path and he took the club back again. Next: Tour Elevate got me into the 115-117g range. Hit it solid except the shots were going too high and spinning too much. But club speed went UP a few mph. 

Fitter then suggests we try the C Taper. “Standard C Taper or C Taper Lite?” I said. 

He hands me the C Taper 120. “Always fear this thing is super stiff,” I said. I was somewhat hesitant but here I am, why not try it? Swing weight D4, standard lie. First outcome noticed: Club head speed went up to 86 mph — 5 miles an hour faster than the Nippon 950. I asked why do I swing the heavier one faster? “You don’t,” he said. “That is your speed. With lighter ones your sequence is off and you are slowing down coming into impact, not accelerating like we want.”

Now I am a fan of Project X Rifle. So C Taper felt great, maybe a tad heavy, and I was still seeing it go left here and there. Fitter asked about lie angles. I told him I had always played standard, then 1 or 2 degrees upright when I was dealing with a balky back about 5 years ago, but I am  over it. He is studying the data, takes the club and lowers the swing weight 4 points and switches to a head 2 degrees flat from standard, about 3 degrees flatter than I often play. He does not tell me the specs. “Try this,” is all he said. 

Started nailing it down the middle. So much so I did not believe it, thought I had simply found a groove. Switched back to the Modus 105 for a gut check and saw inconsistency return immediately. Shots and spin are too high. “You like more real weight but you don’t like higher swing weight,” Tim says. 

Back to the C Taper for round two. We are now at standard length and loft, 2 degrees flat lie and a shaft heavier and stiffer than I am playing.

“Spend some time with it,” he says. 

It was impressive. Decided to hit 20 shots and toss out any obvious clunkers to see the big picture. But I only had to delete 1 shot. And here is where I saw the consistency of the 0317T show up. Shot after shot looked the same. 

Trackman on those 20 shots:

Club speed: 86.4 mph average, variance 1 mph. 

Ball speed: 116.5 mph avg., variance 1.0 mph. 
Carry: 167.9 avg, variance 3.2 yards. 
Total: 172, variance 4.0 yards. 
Spin: 5690 avg., variance 364

Smash factor: 1.39 avg., variance 0.02.

Shot height: 94 feet average, variance 3 feet. 

Attack angle: Minus 2.5, variance 0.8

Launch angle: 17.9 degrees avg., variance 0.9

Landing angle: 48.5 degrees, variance 1.2. 

Tim says, “I think those are in the bag! The C Taper does not fit everyone but for those it fits it is a dispersion killer.”

Best of all, if I need tweaks, PXG does that for free. Worst case scenario: This fit is all wrong and the shaft is too much for me. I’ve got 30 days to return. 

Definitely the most precise fitting I have ever had. They really do not leave any stone unturned. Thought about it overnight, ordered the next day and 5-P 0317T with C Taper stiff at D-0 and 2 degrees flat will be delivered tomorrow.

Now THIS sounds like a fitter that knows his stuff. Really cool to hear the adjustments that he made to get you dialed in. Good stuff! 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Wilson Infinite North Side

Titleist Pro V1X

Thanks dmeeksDC for you very detailed report of your fitting. I am not good with very low swing speed and my fitter was so patient and I got to try so many different shaft head combinations it was great! I am really sold on their fitting process and their clubs.

• Like 1

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

12 hours ago, leftycabe said:

You have earned a virtual fist bump 👊! Thank you!!!!

4 iron below

IMG_0286.jpeg.49194771c34832e7585515096a44dc8e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 10K (Tour Issue) 7.5* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 4-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, JStang said:

I asked this early on in the thread but didn't get any responses. Have any T100 players gone to these and what is your thoughts on forgiveness between the two? 

I hit T100 and T150 at my local shop against my CBs (I do have Ts that I find more forgiving than the cb even), and I thought the CBs were easier to hit and they were definitely quicker ball speed wise.  Thought Id move to the T150s and didnt take long to know that wasnt happening

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JStang said:

I asked this early on in the thread but didn't get any responses. Have any T100 players gone to these and what is your thoughts on forgiveness between the two? 

Best thing to do is hit them. It answers a lot of questions. I did not hit the T100 but I did hit the T150 and it’s nice. I just liked the 0317T a lot more. The feel at impact of the 0317T is very nice but so is the look, shot height, everything. It checks the boxes I need and forgiveness is impressive vs the 0317CB. I could tell right away. On not only toe strikes but also on two-grooves-too-low strikes, the 0317T does not drop off much.

Overall it was a pretty quick conclusion: I did not love the T150 as much as the PXG. For my preferences the feel and sound of PXG’s irons is more to my liking. And it was a better choice for dialing in weight, which is big for me. Plenty of people will like Titleist more. But on forgiveness, I would bet the 0317T wins. 

• Like 1

Good afternoon WRX,

Just had a fitting with Jon Keens at PXG Fairfax and it was phenomenal. I went in already with a 0317t PX 6.5 standard/standard I picked up to try  out, and much to my surprise we actually stuck with the 6.5 as it just grooved with me the best. Now the fun began when he gave me the ST head, as I have played the 0211ST and honestly the ST was incredible. BUT blade being blade.... mishits punished and the T was only a bit lower launching and slightly less spin but much more forgiving. Almost a no brainer to go with the T's but I will say if you are on the fence just go try them out if the option is available. I have no clue what sort of black magic PXG pulled with the 0317T but its damn near identical from topline to feel and sound. Obviously not one to one but it was so close its almost impossible to choose the ST over the T unless you truly have your heart set on it. I did swing the CB and it felt great just didnt like how short and boxy it ended up looking

All in all the order looks like: 4-5-6-8-9 in 0317t PX 6.5 rifle, standard/standard with a D3 SW. Also ended up leaving with a gen 6 5W with hzrdus smoke black 6.5, which also just fit perfect between my TSI3 3w and 4i. I cannot recommend the fitting and the irons enough... now the wait to get them!

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 6:31 PM, 20footputt said:

Can anyone compare the 0137T to i230? I play i230 and got fitted for 0311P got them in and they look chunky especially in the GW-9i. After 2 rounds I decided I don’t like them and may swap for 0137T but not sure if it’s forgiving enough.  I’m a high single digit cap

I was fitted for the 3017 T when I did a PXG fitting and I went to PGA superstore and hit i230, zx7, 770’s and the i230 were the best for me dispersion and distance.  The i230’s are larger and easy to hit but I think the 3017 T are in the same category.  If you can hit one you can hit the other.  I would love to hit them both side by side.  I’m guessing turf interaction is the main difference.  

1 hour ago, HarborMike said:

Watched the video. He really likes them, especially the soft feel, but then says he’s disappointed that the clubs get dings in them…. 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

10 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Watched the video. He really likes them, especially the soft feel, but then says he’s disappointed that the clubs get dings in them…. 🤦‍♂️ 

Yes, my thinking was he needed some criticism to avoid the Finch Fanboy label, so under durability he raised this and compared to Ping. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAM01 said:

Yes, my thinking was he needed some criticism to avoid the Finch Fanboy label, so under durability he raised this and compared to Ping. 

Yeah, some interesting comments from Finch. I’ve never owned a forged set that didn’t have dings after several rounds of playing and putting them through various conditions, then again I don’t play with iron head covers 😏. Also didn’t state which model of Ping he compares to either (whether it’s against one of the newer forged offerings or rest of the line which has been traditionally cast).

He also stated “one of the first potential issue with these irons is they are a hollow headed design”….(duh!), but goes on to rave about them and produce identical numbers/performance to his MP-20 blades. Can’t go too over the top in criticism if he wants to keep getting invited to Scottsdale National for annual product launch week 😉.

Personally, I don't think Finch was too wide of the mark with his comments, which were more about the coating/finish wearing badly rather than them getting dinged up because they're forged and therefore soft. 

Accepting they're tools not jewels, I don't imagine many people want to drop significant money on an iron set that ages prematurely and looks like gash after a few months. Titleist irons used to be awful for that. 

Edited by MMB1500

I will say that I’ve experienced this many times with Ping and PXG, both. The early wear is almost worse to my eye than the long term wear. I think both Ping and PXG wear/age really well. I’ve had at least a half dozen sets of each and never saw the way they age as a negative. I personally feel like the MP20’s he is comparing them against wear far worse. A few rounds and the matte gray in the grooves wears off extremely quickly. I like to keep my stuff clean but certainly don’t expect them to be flawless. Solid review overall!

Well, the outdoor season in Michigan is winding down. We’ve been fortunate to play into the middle of November. 

After 15 rounds with the 0317 T irons, I can say they are almost perfect. The powerful, but soft feel they have, still makes me smile on pure hits. The forgiveness on toe strikes has saved me many times. The consistency in distance, height and spin are the best balanced of any recent club I’ve tested. They are easily one of my favorite clubs. 

On the negative side, a 2* strong loft setting makes them dig like old Mizuno blades. They are very sensitive to loft changes and my swing can’t tolerate more than 1*. 

I haven’t seen the wear some are reporting. But, I’m one of “those guys” that use iron covers. 

All in all, I’m really pleased with these irons. I’m clearing out all the others I’ve been testing including the CB’s, Takoma 201’s, Gen 6 P’s and my Gen 5 T‘s. If a Black Friday sale comes along, I may pick up another set. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Soccerrick10 said:

Am I going crazy or did PXG just RAISE the price on the 0317 line?

If so,  guess I’ll be holding off buying a second set. 

I am thinking you are right. Not a blg bump but I believe the 0317T has gone up $10 per head compared to what I paid. But I also remember PXG mentioning an introductory price when they were released so maybe that has expired. It is also a popular club, 2023 iron of the year in my book. 

Says on the site now that sale prices on Gen 5 woods will go back up on Dec. 31. There are Black Friday priced on Gen 6 0311 double chrome or double black and also the fairways so I assume those will go up too. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1