Wilson 2024 new staff blade/cb, dynapower forged, staff wedges, staff balls

67VIP

Just read through the 17 page thread. I am a guy who doesn't necessarily buy equipment because of the name on it. In fact, I would argue that historically, I have tended to buy Cobra  Srixon and Mizuno as the three main companies. My main irons this past year were the 921 forged Mizuno Jpx.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with him but I usually like having a second set of irons so that while my bag is at my home club, I still have a means to go to a nearby driving range that is close to my house or play around of golf elsewhere without having to drive the 30 minutes to go get my equipment.

A couple of years ago, I purchased an immediately returned a set of the Wilson D7 forged irons. While in the simulator they performed amazing for me and gave me better performance numbers than the P790 from Taylor made, I was unfortunately less impressed with their performance on the course. It seems like at least in my hands they were launching too low, and with two little spin, and I play a course with small fast greens, and I had trouble holding them.

Fast forward two years and I saw the D9 forged and felt that they looked very much like the 921 Forged, except with a shinier chrome finish. Even the back cavity looks quite similar. This time around they have a lighter shaft as stock 105 g dynamic gold compared to previously $taper lite which I think I just did not get along with.

Well, I am in Canada and Golftown had been marking them down. Additionally, they had a demo sale in November where the price was 800 Canadian or roughly 600 US. At that time the stores had a few of the D9 for still with the plastic on the heads at that price. I was tempted, but did not buy them. Sure enough for boxing day. They reduce them another 20%. At that point we are talking C$640 which is about 475 USD.

SO I jumped on them. They definitely launch a little bit higher and spin a little bit more than the previous D7F.

While I am sure the new Dynapower forged model will be very good, it does not seem to have enough to distinguish itself in my opinion. I think anybody wanting to get in on the players distance irons that are still forged with good, feel the d9 forged right now seem to be the sweet spot for performance price on the market.

I agree that this is a very underrated brand, and you can certainly find great performing equipment out of value price. Their irons in particular are outstanding both and looks and performance. I am still not sold on the woods. While maybe they perform well there is just something about them to does not look premium to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mitchdoc said:

Just read through the 17 page thread. I am a guy who doesn't necessarily buy equipment because of the name on it. In fact, I would argue that historically, I have tended to buy Cobra  Srixon and Mizuno as the three main companies. My main irons this past year were the 921 forged Mizuno Jpx.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with him but I usually like having a second set of irons so that while my bag is at my home club, I still have a means to go to a nearby driving range that is close to my house or play around of golf elsewhere without having to drive the 30 minutes to go get my equipment.

A couple of years ago, I purchased an immediately returned a set of the Wilson D7 forged irons. While in the simulator they performed amazing for me and gave me better performance numbers than the P790 from Taylor made, I was unfortunately less impressed with their performance on the course. It seems like at least in my hands they were launching too low, and with two little spin, and I play a course with small fast greens, and I had trouble holding them.

Fast forward two years and I saw the D9 forged and felt that they looked very much like the 921 Forged, except with a shinier chrome finish. Even the back cavity looks quite similar. This time around they have a lighter shaft as stock 105 g dynamic gold compared to previously $taper lite which I think I just did not get along with.

Well, I am in Canada and Golftown had been marking them down. Additionally, they had a demo sale in November where the price was 800 Canadian or roughly 600 US. At that time the stores had a few of the D9 for still with the plastic on the heads at that price. I was tempted, but did not buy them. Sure enough for boxing day. They reduce them another 20%. At that point we are talking C$640 which is about 475 USD.

SO I jumped on them. They definitely launch a little bit higher and spin a little bit more than the previous D7F.

While I am sure the new Dynapower forged model will be very good, it does not seem to have enough to distinguish itself in my opinion. I think anybody wanting to get in on the players distance irons that are still forged with good, feel the d9 forged right now seem to be the sweet spot for performance price on the market.

I agree that this is a very underrated brand, and you can certainly find great performing equipment out of value price. Their irons in particular are outstanding both and looks and performance. I am still not sold on the woods. While maybe they perform well there is just something about them to does not look premium to me.

I played the D7 Forged in 4-pw with kbs $-taper lite and had just the opposite experience…I was able to hit unbelievable long iron shots with them, to the point I special ordered the three iron as well. The D9 Forged I initially had with Recoil Dart 75 and while great clubs they lacked a certain amount of feel. I got a second set of D9F with kbs tour $-taper 110 and they are fabulous…I’m hitting shots like I did 10 years ago when I was 50 and still had a bit of speed. As to your low ball flight and lack of spin did you try a higher launching/spinning ball such as the TP5? The prov1 is NOT the holiest grail out there…and certainly a soft two piece ball like the cally super soft isn’t a particularly good option either. That kbs shaft is a mid launch with a more responsive tip so if you were hitting low shots it had to be the ball or the lie angle was way off.

• Like 1

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

I had purchased a set of CB's with regular tour lite shafts and found that I needed more help. My buddy was selling his D9 forged last Fall and switching to the DynaPowers, so I jumped on them. After playing the last months of the season with the Recoil Dart shafts, I reshafted them a few weeks ago with some Accra 50i shafts that I had been bit into at Club Champion previously. Just hitting them inside, they feel great. It's like having a new set of irons. The only equipment I'm buying this year is Triads.

Edited by Woodridge
  • Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

5 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

heresy-located-heresy.gif.01ff79a944447f9435c8097ff68032a7.gif

The carbon driver is 110% legit…but like every other driver you have to get it with the right shaft. In reasonably extensive fitting sessions with it and the standard Dynapwr the 60/70g hzrdus smoke rdx red and black shafts in 5.5/6.0/6.5 are an ideal match for most players. Stay away from the 50g shafts unless you are looking at a senior flex. The 60g Ventus blue is a joke, nothing like the ones Taylormade gets which are actually pretty darn good. I personally can’t hit the three wood but I’ve seen other people kill it…it’s just stupid long in the right hands. 

My carbon driver is a tour issue 10.5 set at -0.5 (opens the face), Hzrdus Smoke RDX red 60g 5.5, mcc +4 align midsize, and a 16g back weight in place of the standard 12g…combined with the Triad ball I hit it pretty freaking good for a 60 year old degenerate. 

Edited by 67VIP

w/KBS $-Taper 110

7 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

heresy-located-heresy.gif.01ff79a944447f9435c8097ff68032a7.gif

I can't help but think of White Zombie and SuperCharger Heaven    🤘🤘

• Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, 67VIP said:

The carbon driver is 110% legit…but like every other driver you have to get it with the right shaft. In reasonably extensive fitting sessions with it and the standard Dynapwr the 60/70g hzrdus smoke rdx red and black shafts in 5.5/6.0/6.5 are an ideal match for most players. Stay away from the 50g shafts unless you are looking at a senior flex. The 60g Ventus blue is a joke, nothing like the ones Taylormade gets which are actually pretty darn good. I personally can’t hit the three wood but I’ve seen other people kill it…it’s just stupid long in the right hands. 

My carbon driver is a tour issue 10.5 set at -0.5 (opens the face), Hzrdus Smoke RDX red 60g 5.5, mcc +4 align midsize, and a 16g back weight in place of the standard 12g…combined with the Triad ball I hit it pretty freaking good for a 60 year old degenerate. 

I was a bit of a weirdo and went with the Riptide as it just seemed to be good juju for me, but I agree that the shaft offerings at no upcharge make the Carbon an absolute steal. Unless someone really needs the bias help of the Titanium I also recommend the Carbon for its great feel & sound on top of the performance. The clean look just caps it off. Very glad they updated it between initial designs and actual release. 

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I can't help but think of White Zombie and SuperCharger Heaven    🤘🤘

Good taste in equipment and music. You'll go far in life, my friend. 

• Like 2

Love Wilson looks and feel on all their players offerings for the last few generations, but they have always been a bridesmaid for me. Curious to see if this time is different.

Did blade lengths on the CBs stay the same with this release?

Also, did they get rid of tungsten in the CB long irons?

Finally, is there a new driving iron coming out alongside these?

From the pics at the beginning of the thread it doesn't look like the Dynapower forged is made to combo with these CB/MB offerings (@67VIP if I am off here let me know!) so would be curious a) if I could handle a full CB set which would require longer blade lengths at the top than the prior iteration, or b) a driving iron in the 4-5 spots possibly, but I wouldn't be interested in forking over $250 on the 4 year old offering.

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

27 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

Love Wilson looks and feel on all their players offerings for the last few generations, but they have always been a bridesmaid for me. Curious to see if this time is different.

Did blade lengths on the CBs stay the same with this release?

Also, did they get rid of tungsten in the CB long irons?

Finally, is there a new driving iron coming out alongside these?

From the pics at the beginning of the thread it doesn't look like the Dynapower forged is made to combo with these CB/MB offerings (@67VIP if I am off here let me know!) so would be curious a) if I could handle a full CB set which would require longer blade lengths at the top than the prior iteration, or b) a driving iron in the 4-5 spots possibly, but I wouldn't be interested in forking over $250 on the 4 year old offering.

The staff blade & cb have the same specs and are combinable at any point. The Dynapower Forged will have stronger lofts so to combine with the cb’s you’ll have to adjust lofts in both sets. Basically a degree or two each direction depending on set make up. There isn’t a new utility iron coming out at this time.  The current one is pretty damn good as it is. 

• Thanks 2

w/KBS $-Taper 110

6 hours ago, 67VIP said:

If the driver is ordered shorter than standard, does W/S automatically adjust for it or do you have to request?  Can the weights be purchased by a reputable dealer? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, boggyman said:

If the driver is ordered shorter than standard, does W/S automatically adjust for it or do you have to request?  Can the weights be purchased by a reputable dealer? Thanks in advance!

Wilson offers 12/16/20g weights…that can be specified when doing a custom order, as well as length/grip/shaft.

• Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Ex C300 owner.  These new irons look great.   I was interested in the DynaPowr 3 wood but it sits closed to me at address.  Did anyone else notice this? 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

1 hour ago, Lemonde said:

Ex C300 owner.  These new irons look great.   I was interested in the DynaPowr 3 wood but it sits closed to me at address.  Did anyone else notice this? 

It’s actually looks open at address if you grip it with the bottom leading edge square at address. Top & bottom face edges are two different angles. Most woods now have some bulge & roll in the face like a persimmon wood from 30+ years ago…

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Big fan of all things Wilson Staff.  Have a set of Staff MB and CB that I'll never get rid of.  Would like to try the Dynapower driver too. Also, the new stuff looks great. 

More importantly,  I want to say thank you to @67VIP for the contribution to this thread.  Your info has been very helpful.

• Thanks 1

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

26 minutes ago, kylesilk said:

Big fan of all things Wilson Staff.  Have a set of Staff MB and CB that I'll never get rid of.  Would like to try the Dynapower driver too. Also, the new stuff looks great. 

More importantly,  I want to say thank you to @67VIP for the contribution to this thread.  Your info has been very helpful.

Thank you, much appreciated.

• Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

3 hours ago, kylesilk said:

Got our fitting kits in today for the new Wilson irons and two new shafts for the Dynapwr drivers; the UST Helium Black and Mitsubishi Kaili White 60 s/x flex. I don’t think the Helium will be a good match, but the Kaili White should do well…especially with the carbon. 

Edited by 67VIP

w/KBS $-Taper 110

On 9/21/2023 at 4:41 PM, 67VIP said:

No, that is an earlier prototype from before the final production change.

I took a screenshot from a video that was taken at the latest Wilson store opening in NYC. The Golf Channel guy has a glove on with the updated shield. I expect it and other accessories will be introduced soon. 

IMG_0336.png

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

2 hours ago, 67VIP said:

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• Thanks 2

w/KBS $-Taper 110

1 hour ago, 67VIP said:

I hit the Dynapwr Forged demo 7 iron with the kbs tour lite stiff and it was very nice…solid feel at impact and I am pretty sure it’s a bit longer than my D9 Forged with kbs tour $-taper 110. Set up at address is beautiful and I can only imagine that my sticks will be even longer as I always order mine a 1/2 inch long and the $-taper is a better shaft than the stock tour lite. We shall see…

IMG_5620.jpeg

IMG_5621.jpeg

IMG_5622.jpeg

These look great.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

2 hours ago, 67VIP said:

I hit the Dynapwr Forged demo 7 iron with the kbs tour lite stiff and it was very nice…solid feel at impact and I am pretty sure it’s a bit longer than my D9 Forged with kbs tour $-taper 110. Set up at address is beautiful and I can only imagine that my sticks will be even longer as I always order mine a 1/2 inch long and the $-taper is a better shaft than the stock tour lite. We shall see…

IMG_5620.jpeg

IMG_5621.jpeg

IMG_5622.jpeg

Ok, totally confused. Which shield is it going to be. They can't do both. I assume since this doesn't launch until march its the new shield. Either way this club is pretty cool.

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

2 hours ago, 67VIP said:

That was a good review. Weird that there no pictures. Sounds like it will be a big selling club relative to W/S.

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

55 minutes ago, Steve o said:

Ok, totally confused. Which shield is it going to be. They can't do both. I assume since this doesn't launch until march its the new shield. Either way this club is pretty cool.

The demo heads for the Dynapwr Forged were made prior to the logo change. The production models for stock retail and custom will have the blank shield. Custom orders for the blade, cb, dynapwr forged can be submitted now. Stock sets will not be available for a little while longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

w/KBS $-Taper 110

2024 Wilson Ball comparison