Wilson 2024 new staff blade/cb, dynapower forged, staff wedges, staff balls

67VIP

6 hours ago, Steve o said:

All of that is fine but consumers buy clubs with the assumption that it conforms even if  they never play in an event where it needs to be. The feeling I got was that Wilson didn’t handle it well at the consumer level. Of course they are moving on from the club so it’s a hassle to worry about it conforming. I champion Wilson but I care about what’s right more. 

Most recreational consumers are clueless…they just want to play. They don’t even understand the concept of radical loft changes to irons…”can I get a three or four iron with this set?” In this day and age you cannot reasonably expect a new golfer to go out on a range and exert blood/sweat/tears as in the old days when a lot of us learned to play with persimmon/blades/balata. The newer generations grew up with video games they’ve learned to hack in 36 hours and access to 24 hour news and social media. They have the attention span of a gnat….they need instant gratification, hence clubs with very low center of gravity, a sweet spot the size of a Buick, extremely light weight & lower cost. My own son told me golf was boring and he’d learn to play when he got older…this after I’d gotten him to the point he could play nine holes and almost break 50. I don’t expect everyone to like golf, much less  love it…I have hated the game at a couple of times in the last 46 years. But if the industry doesn’t make it as easy as humanly possible to learn & enjoy, it will shrink to unsustainable levels.

Edited by 67VIP
  • Like 2

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

6 hours ago, Steve o said:

What is the plan for bags and accessories. The walking billboards,,,  hats, gloves, bags all need to have the new shield. Otherwise, what was the point. 

It will eventually switch over to one of the new logos…blank shield, Wilson script, or the W. 

w/KBS $-Taper 110

33 minutes ago, 67VIP said:

Most recreational consumers are clueless…they just want to play. They don’t even understand the concept of radical loft changes to irons…”can I get a three or four iron with this set?” In this day and age you cannot reasonably expect a new golfer to go out on a range and exert blood/sweat/tears as in the old days when a lot of us learned to play with persimmon/blades/balata. The newer generations grew up with video games they’ve learned to hack in 36 hours and access to 24 hour news and social media. They have the attention span of a gnat….they need instant gratification, hence clubs with very low center of gravity, a sweet spot the size of a Buick, extremely light weight & lower cost. My own son told me golf was boring and he’d learn to play when he got older…this after I’d gotten him to the point he could play nine holes and almost break 50. I don’t expect everyone to like golf, much less  love it…I have hated the game at a couple of times in the last 46 years. But if the industry doesn’t make it as easy as humanly possible to learn & enjoy, it will shrink to unsustainable levels.

I believe you vastly underestimate today’s consumers. Information is so easily obtained . This club is leaving the line so no big deal but it’s the stupid stuff Wilson does that gives them a bad rep. As they modernize the line they need to get the details right. It’s the price of entry. 
I enjoyed the review of the blade and cb but it only reinforced that the forged is the one I need to wait on. 

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

2 hours ago, Steve o said:

I believe you vastly underestimate today’s consumers. Information is so easily obtained . This club is leaving the line so no big deal but it’s the stupid stuff Wilson does that gives them a bad rep. As they modernize the line they need to get the details right. It’s the price of entry. 
I enjoyed the review of the blade and cb but it only reinforced that the forged is the one I need to wait on. 

I see way too much of the first, and not nearly enough of the second. The average Joe is not a Golfwrx member, doesn’t know or remember what’s in his bag, doesn’t have a lot of time or interest in researching iron specs, & lucky if he/she plays once a week. Life/family/work takes up too much time. 

IMG_5643.jpeg

IMG_5644.jpeg

Edited by 67VIP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

1 hour ago, 67VIP said:

I see way too much of the first, and not nearly enough of the second. The average Joe is not a Golfwrx member, doesn’t know or remember what’s in his bag, doesn’t have a lot of time or interest in researching iron specs, & lucky if he/she plays once a week. Life/family/work takes up too much time. 

IMG_5643.jpeg

IMG_5644.jpeg

. I’ve called on retail accounts in footwear and other categories forever. They see a lot of stuff on social IG, Facebook and other sites. They see what their friends play, talk at the water cooler. 

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

10 hours ago, prusd said:

I dont think Wilson was at the PGA show, so I was disappointed there wasnt any news of the dynapower forged irons.  Then late tonight, I accidentally stumbled across this...

https://www.2ndswing.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/wilson-staff-dynapwr-forged-iron-set/dynapwr-frg-new-sts

It looks legit to me.

Mine are on order, just waiting for them to arrive…I’ve been playing the D9 Forged for two years so should be a simple transition.

• Like 2

w/KBS $-Taper 110

11 hours ago, prusd said:

I dont think Wilson was at the PGA show, so I was disappointed there wasnt any news of the dynapower forged irons.  Then late tonight, I accidentally stumbled across this...

https://www.2ndswing.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/wilson-staff-dynapwr-forged-iron-set/dynapwr-frg-new-sts

It looks legit to me.

Wish they would have attended . Even with a smaller show they could have made inroads with key account relationships. 

Edited by Steve o
Misspelled word

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

44 minutes ago, PedronNiall said:

Jealous of the WS on the Dynapwrs, hah.

I bet that’s why it’s not coming until March. Late decision to change the shield.  

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

Site issues have been mentioned, but they've also got to set their reviews to verified purchasers only. Some nutter threw on a literal gibberish review with a 1-star rating and pulled the blades down to a 3.6 average. How hard is it to have someone keep reigns on the things they can actually control when it comes to giving the brand a fair shot online?

5 stars only for the CBs at the moment. Looks like both sets will do as well as the last for player reception.

• Like 1

Nice find on the Dynapower forged info. I think I like the D9s better, but will see once I get a chance to hit both. I've switched irons way too often the last decade. It would be nice to play an entire season with one set so I know what to expect.

Edited by Woodridge
  • Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

2 hours ago, Woodridge said:

Nice find on the Dynapower forged info. I think I like the D9s better, but will see once I get a chance to hit both. I've switched irons way too often the last decade. It would be nice to play an entire season with one set so I know what to expect.

Yep—I am in no rush to replace the D9 Forged, which are so good. But I know I’ll likely cave and pick up the Dynapower Forged at some point if they come down in price.

I played the C300 Forged extensively as well (skipped the D7 Forged), and this line is so good for mid-cappers in terms of looks and feel, while still packing real forgiveness.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade Qi Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

8 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Site issues have been mentioned, but they've also got to set their reviews to verified purchasers only. Some nutter threw on a literal gibberish review with a 1-star rating and pulled the blades down to a 3.6 average. How hard is it to have someone keep reigns on the things they can actually control when it comes to giving the brand a fair shot online?

5 stars only for the CBs at the moment. Looks like both sets will do as well as the last for player reception.

That idiot wasn’t the only one; two illiterate jackasses posted LH isn’t available when it’s clearly listed that it is in the Wilson B2B custom build site. Another was whining about shaft upgrades…duh, if you don’t want the stock shaft there may be an upcharge.  If the DG 115 Mid is too whippy for you there’s always DG X100…it’s only been a staple on the PGA Tour for the past 50 years but WTH.

Edited by 67VIP
  • Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

35 minutes ago, 67VIP said:

That idiot wasn’t the only one; two illiterate jackasses posted LH isn’t available when it’s clearly listed that it is in the Wilson B2B custom build site. Another was whining about shaft upgrades…duh, if you don’t want the stock shaft there may be an upcharge.  If the DG 115 Mid is too whippy for you there’s always DG X100…it’s only been a staple on the PGA Tour for the past 50 years but WTH.

To be fair the website was/is trash and the custom option for left handed didn’t exist for a couple weeks until very recently. So for someone that’s never perused the site prior or knows better they would think lefties were in fact left off. They don’t even list specs or at least didn’t last I looked. Big miss on their part 

27 minutes ago, southpaw72 said:

To be fair the website was/is trash and the custom option for left handed didn’t exist for a couple weeks until very recently. So for someone that’s never perused the site prior or knows better they would think lefties were in fact left off. They don’t even list specs or at least didn’t last I looked. Big miss on their part 

Clubs don't deserve a 1 star rating for that as it's irrelevant to their quality or how they perform, but regardless, the issue is Wilson doesn't manage their site very well.

Their specs are there, but they screwed up something with them prior to the release and at the moment you have to hunt them down. Again, an issue with poor website management.

45 minutes ago, southpaw72 said:

I understand and have repeatedly told them that. But even if it works correctly they don’t list every optional shaft on the website, some shaft manufacturers are notorious for back orders and late deliveries. You really need to talk with an authorized dealer in person…they can look on the B2B site and tell you immediately if your requested components are available. 

Edited by 67VIP

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Not having solid information versus their competitors hurts Wilson. Consumer websites are like window shopping. You can gather information. For the things Wilson is doing right the site needs help. 

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

12 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Their specs are there, but they screwed up something with them prior to the release and at the moment you have to hunt them down. Again, an issue with poor website management.

Are the specs for their irons actually on the website now? Because unless they were horribly hidden, they were definitely not visible or findable when I was purchasing my D9 Forged irons (which I did custom from the Wilson website). I had to go to TGW for the specs.  https://www.tgw.com/p/wilson-mens-d9-forged-irons?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_channel=nonbrnd&utm_campaign=15489231329&SITE_ID=W0209&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAtt2tBhBDEiwALZuhAI1gjUay9AMG9QHJsB7s6cC02s-gO3-9QOFcps0LtqjGG9ixdmPtZhoCRCEQAvD_BwE

And mind you, while Wilson (TGW) listed the D9 Forged shaft lengths as .25” over “standard” length, when I ordered them at -.25” to get what I thought would be “standard” length (such as it is), they showed up .25” shorter than “standard”.  Fortunately, this was not a big issue for me, but I won’t make that mistake again.  I know this has been discussed here before, but just another reminder about how Wilson Staff measures their irons, and even if listed as slightly longer than standard, they are actually generally standard length.

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 67VIP said:

I understand and have repeatedly told them that. But even if it works correctly they don’t list every optional shaft on the website, some shaft manufacturers are notorious for back orders and late deliveries. You really need to talk with an authorized dealer in person…they can look on the B2B site and tell you immediately if your requested components are available. 

I believe the golf business doesn't have dedicated marketers but that it is a shared service with some of the other LOB's under the Amer unbrella.  Don't know it for certain but def feels/looks that way.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

Are the specs for their irons actually on the website now? Because unless they were horribly hidden, they were definitely not visible or findable when I was purchasing my D9 Forged irons (which I did custom from the Wilson website). I had to go to TGW for the specs.  https://www.tgw.com/p/wilson-mens-d9-forged-irons?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_channel=nonbrnd&utm_campaign=15489231329&SITE_ID=W0209&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAtt2tBhBDEiwALZuhAI1gjUay9AMG9QHJsB7s6cC02s-gO3-9QOFcps0LtqjGG9ixdmPtZhoCRCEQAvD_BwE

And mind you, while Wilson (TGW) listed the D9 Forged shaft lengths as .25” over “standard” length, when I ordered them at -.25” to get what I thought would be “standard” length (such as it is), they showed up .25” shorter than “standard”.  Fortunately, this was not a big issue for me, but I won’t make that mistake again.  I know this has been discussed here before, but just another reminder about how Wilson Staff measures their irons, and even if listed as slightly longer than standard, they are actually generally standard length.

Unfortunately there is no industry standard anything anymore, that automatically includes loft/length/lie. When designing your particular set of clubs you really need to know what your own preferred specifications are and compare that to the clubs stock configuration. Some companies make clubs 1/4 inch longer in graphite…some don’t. 

The specs are listed now for 4-pw on both the blade & cb. 

IMG_5653.jpeg

w/KBS $-Taper 110

18 minutes ago, the bishop said:

I believe the golf business doesn't have dedicated marketers but that it is a shared service with some of the other LOB's under the Amer unbrella.  Don't know it for certain but def feels/looks that way.

I have use other Wilson products and the websites appear to be managed under one umbrella. One with many holes in it. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

They were there before, but also seem to have been wiped along with the others right before the new releases this year. Not a good look. 

1 hour ago, 67VIP said:

Unfortunately there is no industry standard anything anymore, that automatically includes loft/length/lie. When designing your particular set of clubs you really need to know what your own preferred specifications are and compare that to the clubs stock configuration. Some companies make clubs 1/4 inch longer in graphite…some don’t. 

The specs are listed now for 4-pw on both the blade & cb. 

IMG_5653.jpeg

Trust me, I get it. But the specs you quote right there would put me in the same position if I wanted to start with a 38" 5 iron as I did with my D9 Forged set (which is what I consider to be standard, but regardless was what I wanted). WS quotes 38.25" for the 5 iron.

I ordered -.25", precisely what I was shooting for to achieve a 38" 5 iron and then go from there in half-inch increments. And I received irons that were .25" shorter than my other sets that are built off a 38" 5 iron. We are back at the same place--despite WS indicating 38.25" for a 5 iron and so on, they are really building to other OEMs' 38" 5 irons and so on.

40 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Well, the best laid plans as they say 😞

Having gotten the CB's last summer as well as the T350's I am very content with my irons right now, not to mention the G430's that I got all the way back last March 🙂 

Anyway, our rep came by today to help us set up the Wilson Ai Fit system.  Walked us through it inside, then I volunteered to be the Crash Test dummy and go to the range to be fit.  The device worked really well, no hiccups and gave us the results---more on that in abit.

But while most were focused on the I pad and Ai I was transfixed by the shots I was hitting and the feel of the club.   The Ai Fit club is a DynaPower Forged, although it's not labeled.  It has a KBS Lite R flex shaft.  Which is designed to fit 80% of the golf public.    I was hitting the best 7 irons I think I've hit all year...ok not just 2024 but all the way back to last year.  And it was a cold 46 degrees with a slight breeze, so certainly not ideal conditions.  My dispersion had to be within 15 or 20 feet of each one if we had had trackman out and the distance was at least 10 yards past where my CB's go and possibly a bit further than the T350's?  AGain no Trackman, just eyeballing.  And the flight was darn near perfect for me, just a high soft fade.  

So damn!!  There goes the, "don't need any irons this year" theory.   

As to the Wilson Ai Fit, I think @67VIP has covered it here before in detail, but I'll just say I loved that it provides a whole different set of metrics than a typical LM will.  That means, you can use it in conjunction with that, or just focus on the Wilson Ai Fit and since that's what's happening with the swing dynamics. 

I will say the results it spit out for me were  

DynaPower Forged Irons,  KBS Lite Shaft if I wanted steel or Recoil Dart 75 if I wanted graphite, and 2 degrees upright and 1/2 long.   Now get this,  My CB's are 1/2 long 2 degrees upright and Recoil Dart 75 shafts.  I mean how good...errrr scary is that.  I mean Spot On!  

So the question now is.....Anyone want a great deal on a set of 2023 CB's less than 7 months old before they hit the Classifieds 🙂

Awesome information. I’m super excited to try the DynaPwr Forged and the AI Fit. I’m in Charlotte so maybe I’ll get fit by CG2. 

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

11 minutes ago, Steve o said:

Awesome information. I’m super excited to try the DynaPwr Forged and the AI Fit. I’m in Charlotte so maybe I’ll get fit by CG2. 

My name is a bit misleading, I haven't been in North Carolina for several years, I live in Maryland now but I didn't want to give up the name 🙂    I'm sure you can find a much better fitter than me down there anyway.    But yo should be looking forward to the irons, they are so sweet.   When I saw them during his fall visit, they were awesome looking but I couldn't hit it as it was his only sample.    I had no idea, how good it was going to feel. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

59 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

My name is a bit misleading, I haven't been in North Carolina for several years, I live in Maryland now but I didn't want to give up the name 🙂    I'm sure you can find a much better fitter than me down there anyway.    But yo should be looking forward to the irons, they are so sweet.   When I saw them during his fall visit, they were awesome looking but I couldn't hit it as it was his only sample.    I had no idea, how good it was going to feel. 

We have several good fitters in and around Charlotte and another good store in Burlington NC. They are a big Wilson account. I’m excited to see the wedge too

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag