2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My first "plus cap" round (shooting under the course rating). What was yours like?

RoyalMustang

I'm a 4.9 and have been playing better recently, but I always fell victim to a really bad swing coming out of nowhere. Usually a duck hook leading to a double or worse, at least 3 times a round. The other day on the course, I just kept thinking about how I could get to the top of the swing better, and thought that perhaps my hips are stuck because I'm not working my ankles to get my hip back. So, I started to aggressively dorsiflex the front ankle (left for me as I am a RH player). On the very first swing, I striped a 4-iron from the fairway 230 yards; it was as good of a swing as I had ever made. Perfect balance and felt completely effortless. 

Fast forward to yesterday, and I try to remember that move each and every swing. The result was no double bogeys, only one duck hook that I got away with, and with "misses" that were playable. I had short birdie putts all day long and ended up shooting a 73 on a 73.6/133 course. If I hadn't been 1/5 on makeable par saves from under 8 feet, it would have been even better, but I offset that with 5 birdies. 

I'm not under par yet, but this is definitely a great feeling! My coach always says in our lessons that I should be playing at this level based on the quality of my contact; somehow we never figured out the source of my inconsistency however. He always thought it was tempo, and that contributes, but my tempo was off because I would get stuck and not complete the swing. 

Do you remember the first round that you were under the course rating? Was it an anomaly for you or a marker of better play to come? I know that some people are 10 caps and shoot a 68 out of nowhere but never go low again; others won't ever play 15 strokes better than their cap but they steadily improve. 

• Like 1

For me the very first time was when i shot 69 on a par 72 (sss 71) course. The old handicapping system.

The way i can describe it was that i played the round id played in my head a hundred times.....but never ACTUALLY played.

Namely i got into a lovely groove of visualising the shot, a good routine and then executing the shot. All the cliches of one shot at a time were true and i was accurate and it felt very easy.

Ive broken par a lot of times since but its always that feeling of being "in" the round mentally.

Going forwards it gave me the feeling "i CAN do this". Obviously lots of times i dont but i felt it validated my game and taught me the importance of the mental side of the game because i didnt do anything else swing wise to shoot the 69 that day.

• Like 3

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

To accomplish it on my home track you technically need to shoot 1-under 71 as a level par round is actually -0.2 or something like that.

As I recall, I arrived pretty nervous on the Par5 18th desperately needing just 1 more par to drag things across the finish line and shoot 71. I knew I was playing well but when you're setting a PR there's no way to avoid it. You know exactly what's happening and what you have to do. 

I (somehow) hit a great drive so I was in position to attack the green in 2. I hit some sort of long club that actually landed on the green which kind of secured things. 

I knew I had 3 putts for the par but thankfully my lag putt got close enough that I could tap in for birdie which obviously took me to 2-under 70. 

It was a big moment for sure! 🙂

Since then, I've done it a bunch more and every time it gets easier and much more enjoyable. The last time I was literally feeling like I was in attack mode on holes 15-18. I was under par as I came through the back-9 and I think I made some really bad swing on #14 and missed an easy GIR.

It was such a pathetic swing that I was really frustrated by it. I let the nerves get to me and made a nervous, uncommitted pass at the ball. As I came off the 14th green I was thinking, 'Screw being a coward or feeling nervous. I'm swinging free and easy on every swing from here on out,' and I proceeded to hit the rest of the GIR and birdied #16 and #18 coming in.

That's an even better feeling knowing you can take those nerves and go get it. That's what it's really about. Seeing the moment as an opportunity. Trust what got you there and go do it!

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

20 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

To accomplish it on my home track you technically need to shoot 1-under 71 as a level par round is actually -0.2 or something like that.

As I recall, I arrived pretty nervous on the Par5 18th desperately needing just 1 more par to drag things across the finish line and shoot 71. I knew I was playing well but when you're setting a PR there's no way to avoid it. You know exactly what's happening and what you have to do. 

I (somehow) hit a great drive so I was in position to attack the green in 2. I hit some sort of long club that actually landed on the green which kind of secured things. 

I knew I had 3 putts for the par but thankfully my lag putt got close enough that I could tap in for birdie which obviously took me to 2-under 70. 

It was a big moment for sure! 🙂

Since then, I've done it a bunch more and every time it gets easier and much more enjoyable. The last time I was literally feeling like I was in attack mode on holes 15-18. I was under par as I came through the back-9 and I think I made some really bad swing on #14 and missed an easy GIR.

It was such a pathetic swing that I was really frustrated by it. I let the nerves get to me and made a nervous, uncommitted pass at the ball. As I came off the 14th green I was thinking, 'Screw being a coward or feeling nervous. I'm swinging free and easy on every swing from here on out,' and I proceeded to hit the rest of the GIR and birdied #16 and #18 coming in.

That's an even better feeling knowing you can take those nerves and go get it. That's what it's really about. Seeing the moment as an opportunity. Trust what got you there and go do it!

yeah, the mental part is something I was thinking of. Being loose and relaxed is 80% of the game. I bogeyed my last hole yesterday to just miss out on getting par for the first time, but I was relaxed. I smoked my drive 290 into a decent headwind: I just misjudged the wind on my approach shot and left the ball a few yards short in the bunker, plugged. Stupid mistake. But I was happy going into it as I wasn't tight at all, thinking "I need par or birdie here". 

2 hours ago, Denny100 said:

For me the very first time was when i shot 69 on a par 72 (sss 71) course. The old handicapping system.

The way i can describe it was that i played the round id played in my head a hundred times.....but never ACTUALLY played.

Namely i got into a lovely groove of visualising the shot, a good routine and then executing the shot. All the cliches of one shot at a time were true and i was accurate and it felt very easy.

Ive broken par a lot of times since but its always that feeling of being "in" the round mentally.

Going forwards it gave me the feeling "i CAN do this". Obviously lots of times i dont but i felt it validated my game and taught me the importance of the mental side of the game because i didnt do anything else swing wise to shoot the 69 that day.

can 100% relate to this feeling, best rounds feel... cliche.  taking my time pre/post shot routine, having positive thoughts, treating all the putts the same, laying up

• Like 2

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

It never occurred to me... I never once thought; "I need to shoot x number to beat the course rating". I was always focussed on shooting the lowest score possible, and when I had a chance to shoot under par, or break 70, I was all in on that, never considered what the course rating was. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

I actually had to go dig a scorecard out of my bag from my home course.

Played it a million times and couldn't remember the rating from my tee's (71.8)

So I've beat it a few times this year, I need to play better overall.

The fun stuff is when you do something like break your personal  record like most birdies in a row during a round or most greens, etc. 

Of course a career low round is the best one.

My first time breaking the course rating was a -5.4 differential ( 67 on a 72.4/137). Bogeyed the first hole, got to -2 through 15 and birdied 16,17,18. I was about a 5 handicap at the time. Got to scratch within a year and half of that and to a +3 within another few years. 

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Mine was just this past Labor Day.  Shot 71 as a 4.1.  Ended up as a -0.6 differential.  By far the best iron day of my life.   My general scoring is between 78 and 82.  

I had 2 birdies and 1 bogey.  Funny part was that I had 9 other birdie putts within 20 ft.  None of them dropped.  Could have been even better. 

71.7/136

71.jpg

As an 8,  I've never even heard of this mysterious thing you call the "plus cap".

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Guess I never beat it but as a 11HC I matched it once. Didn't play again for a while to savor it. 

Edited by Wooley12

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

I’m pretty sure mustang gets paid by golfwrx to make up topics. 

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

Only thing I can remember about it now was I 4-putted the par 3 15th for double bogey and birdied the last 2 holes coming in.

Edited by SNIPERBBB

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

It was a shotgun start probably 15-16 years ago, and because of the hole I started on 3 of the last 4 holes were par 5s. I ended up making birdie on all 3 of them to shoot 71. 

I still recall it pretty well. 

Was it a sign of things to come? I suppose so, I have 18 + rounds this year. 

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The first time I shot under par was my soph year of high school.  Shot 69 at a 71.1 course to win by four.  I’d say that 69 when I was 16 was definitely the start of the golf addiction and the following 15 years of competitive golf were a result without a doubt.  

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 9/26/2023 at 1:31 PM, Denny100 said:

In the US, the single score differential calculation didn't change under the WHS, only the Course Handicap calculation (and the index calculation)

On 9/30/2023 at 10:26 PM, Phabs said:

The first time I shot under par was my soph year of high school.  Shot 69 at a 71.1 course to win by four.  I’d say that 69 when I was 16 was definitely the start of the golf addiction and the following 15 years of competitive golf were a result without a doubt.  

As a sophomore; that's sick! I've been playing 5 years cumulatively now (2 back in JR high and 3 since COVID, 25 years in between) and I still haven't broken par! Been close a number of times.

My brother was a multiple tournament medalist in HS and I don't think he ever broke 74. But Oregon is not exactly a golf hotbed. I won a tournament going away as a 7th grader by shooting 80.