2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Roger Dunn completely F’ed up my Ventus shaft

nicky_01

Hi everyone, I would just like to get an opinion on the situation I am in and what you would do. I went to my local Roger Dunn on Saturday and asked them to cut down a driver shaft I had to put into my BRNR mini driver. It was supposed to be cut down 2 inches (played 45.75, supposed to play at 43.75 in the mini driver). But instead they cut it down to 41.75 inches because the person at the club repair shop wrote “2 inches short from Taylormade standard”. I had literally GIVEN HIM THE NUMBER OF 43.75 inches but instead he wrote that. The “remedy” the manager Mark gave was that a 2 inch extension can be put in and the club should be fine. 
I have a couple of concerns. For one, 2 inches seems too excessive and the shaft might break on me. Secondly, isn’t the profile of the shaft completely different now? If this were a cheap shaft I wouldn’t have cared but it was a Ventus Blue TR 6X that I haven’t used for a full year yet. I have accepted the 2 inch extension as a short remedy but currently I am furious and thinking about going back and asking for a brand new shaft. What are your guy’s opinion? 
Also for anyone in the OC area I would STAY CLEAR OF THE ROGER DUNN in Santa Ana if you’re looking to get club work done. 

Edited by nicky_01
  • Like 1

I'd be walking out with a new shaft and taking my business elsewhere, especially if you explicitly gave them a number. 

• Like 3

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

I wouldn’t have left the store until you had a new shaft in hand.  With that said, something this simple could’ve been done by yourself and all this avoided.  Learning to do your own club work is an invaluable skill.  Regripping and trimming shafts is about as basic as it gets and can be done with little investment in equipment.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Definitely a new shaft is in order.

they should know they are at fault in the first place and secondly should know that you cannot extend a graphite shaft more than 1” without the risk of splintering.

• Like 1
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

A new shaft from them is the only answer. You're now the proud owner of a 5/7w/UW shaft.

Absolutely do not accept a 2" extension as that is in sane and legitimately not safe to use. Not to mention any shop that recommends a 2" extension is full of idiots.

• Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

11 hours ago, nicky_01 said:

Hi everyone, I would just like to get an opinion on the situation I am in and what you would do. I went to my local Roger Dunn on Saturday and asked them to cut down a driver shaft I had to put into my BRNR mini driver. It was supposed to be cut down 2 inches (played 45.75, supposed to play at 43.75 in the mini driver). But instead they cut it down to 41.75 inches because the person at the club repair shop wrote “2 inches short from Taylormade standard”. I had literally GIVEN HIM THE NUMBER OF 43.75 inches but instead he wrote that. The “remedy” the manager Mark gave was that a 2 inch extension can be put in and the club should be fine. 
I have a couple of concerns. For one, 2 inches seems too excessive and the shaft might break on me. Secondly, isn’t the profile of the shaft completely different now? If this were a cheap shaft I wouldn’t have cared but it was a Ventus Blue TR 6X that I haven’t used for a full year yet. I have accepted the 2 inch extension as a short remedy but currently I am furious and thinking about going back and asking for a brand new shaft. What are your guy’s opinion? 
Also for anyone in the OC area I would STAY CLEAR OF THE ROGER DUNN in Santa Ana if you’re looking to get club work done. 

Not acceptable on the part of the shop manager.  I hope this turns out well for you. 

• Like 1

Always have Juanita (assuming she still works there) do the club work at Roger Dunn or take it over to Dean Ota down the street at Quality Golf Repair.  Juanita also works there too.  I would try and have Roger Dunn replace the shaft but it might be a tough one depending on what the yellow slip they gave you said.  I always checked it when Daniel filled it out to make sure the notes were perfect and again, request only Juanita do my clubs builds/repairs.  

- KC 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 (8°)

Mizuno ST-Z 230 (16.8°)

Ping iBlade (3i/19°)

Ping i59 (4i-Pw)

Ping Glide 4.0 Raw (52S/56S/58T)

Odyssey Marxman XG (44")

Mizuno RB Max (Yellow)

11 hours ago, nicky_01 said:

Did they understand your 2" extension remedy was a "short remedy" or did they think that settled it when you walked out? Seems like you may have an argument on your hands if you accepted it and they think it's done with. Heck, sounds like you might have an argument on your hands either way. Hope it gets worked out for you.

Edited by Pudgelewis

3 hours ago, jblough99 said:

I wouldn’t have left the store until you had a new shaft in hand.  With that said, something this simple could’ve been done by yourself and all this avoided.  Learning to do your own club work is an invaluable skill.  Regripping and trimming shafts is about as basic as it gets and can be done with little investment in equipment.

This, this, this. Ever since I’ve gotten access to a workshop I’ve done all my club stuff myself. Better for it since I know it’s right. 

• Like 2

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

26 minutes ago, KC13 said:

Always have Juanita (assuming she still works there) do the club work at Roger Dunn or take it over to Dean Ota down the street at Quality Golf Repair.  Juanita also works there too.  I would try and have Roger Dunn replace the shaft but it might be a tough one depending on what the yellow slip they gave you said.  I always checked it when Daniel filled it out to make sure the notes were perfect and again, request only Juanita do my clubs builds/repairs.  

- KC 

I was going to post this. Go to Quality Golf for all repairs. 

• Like 3

Wow!! Insane how the message was not clear enough for a special order to the point of cutting the shaft by that much. I would demand a shaft replacement for sure. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Even aside from the valid concerns about the length of extension, they’ve tangibly reduced the value of the shaft, ESPECIALLY since it now is a 5w length but without 5w tipping which is not possible without an extension. That’s an expensive tomato stake for most intents and purposes now and they need to make you whole. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Place is horrible, never again will I have this location work on my clubs. Multiple friends of mine have also had issues, shafts cut too short, sets not matching in length, grips being off, wrong grips installed, they can never do ferrules right and often come loose after a few months. The quality of work produced by the Santa Ana location is downright pitiful. They seem to hire too many inexperienced kids in high school and dont do enough quality checks.

• Like 1

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

1 hour ago, Jab3384 said:

Granted this was a handful of years ago, but the West LA Roger Dunn misscut an ADDI shaft and replaced it without even asking me. Go back and talk to a manager. 

Sounded like the Manager was who had the genius remedy of the extension. Hopefully it wasn't THE manager.

• Like 1

I am friend with one of the store managers at the location as we both practice at the local range so in the worst case scenario I will try to work something out with him. Again thank you all for your replies. But I you are right in the sense that I did walk out but we never officially ended the argument. So you guys are right in saying that yes I will have an argument on my hands. Will call today and update the results and let you all know. Normally I would go to Quality Golf Repair as Dean has been my most trusted club builder. Never has done me wrong and is cheaper. Recently I started working an 8-5 job so it’s been difficult to get my clubs s dropped off there 

Yes unfortunately 2” shaft extension. I don’t know why I didn’t fight for a brand new shaft right then and there over the phone and in person. So they do have the original receipt on hand and the manager ACKNOWLEDGED that someone had written the request inaccurately. So yes his genius solution ended up being adding 2”. I am going to make a call when I get off of work. Then no matter what I’m heading down there in person to get the dispute settled. If they end up not giving me a new shaft I will inform all of you. 

• Like 1

That's wild. Roger Dunn Santa Ana used to have good club people. I only trust Daniel there now and the middle aged woman who knows what she's doing as well. 

For all significant builds I take them to No Bogeys in Laguna Niguel.

100% they should give you a new shaft. Given the robustness of that shop, I'm surprised they didn't offer it to you. 

• Like 1

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

I’ve wanted to try Quality but it’s tough to get there on weekdays. I go to No Bogey’s since they’re open on weekends and no issues. I would not accept an extension for their mistake. How it works out for you. Glad you know someone that is a manager there and hopefully they can take care of it for you if you have issues. 

• Like 2

I am here to see the final outcome. 2 inches. WOW.

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

36 minutes ago, absoludicrous said:

I’ve wanted to try Quality but it’s tough to get there on weekdays. I go to No Bogey’s since they’re open on weekends and no issues. I would not accept an extension for their mistake. How it works out for you. Glad you know someone that is a manager there and hopefully they can take care of it for you if you have issues. 

I’ve also wanted to try No Bogeys because I have a buddy that teaches there on some days. But I totally agree that it’s hard to get on week days with Quality’s hours. If you text Dean you could drop it off at 7 as that’s what he allows me to do 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nicky_01 said:

Alright everyone, final update. They are currently building me a new shaft at no extra charge. The manager did not hassle me at all which was nice. I am quite a bit calmed down now after the fact. But I would definitely still avoid the Santa Ana Roger Dunn for club repair services. The only person I would look for at this location if you want your clubs built is a person named Juanita, who also happens to work for Quality Golf Repair

Oh also, I would like to point out that in the managers words when I told him “hey man I think 2 inches is excessive. Does a 2 iron cut down to a 6 iron length , then extended back to 4 iron length sound right?” And he said “well yeah generally we can add 2 inches to fix a club. In my humble opinion, he does not sound like someone who’s played a lot of golf.

Roger Dunn has a great selection of equipment.... but I think that place is a little chaotic to get club work done.  I would agree Quality Golf or Newport Beach Golf shop near the John Wayne Airport.  It's a little easier to get quality work done with more experienced people.  Glad the issue was resolved with an understanding manger.... just remember.....  "You're number 1 at Roger Dunn"  !!!!

Edited by DaveTrom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nicky_01 said:

I’ve also wanted to try No Bogeys because I have a buddy that teaches there on some days. But I totally agree that it’s hard to get on week days with Quality’s hours. If you text Dean you could drop it off at 7 as that’s what he allows me to do 

I’m glad they took care of you. And thanks for the tip. Fountain Valley is an easier drive for me. 

Another reason I go down to No Bogeys is to see Monte for lessons. Oak Creek was an easier drive, but I’m willing to drive to see him. Last time I was able to get some work done while getting a lesson. 

I’m gonna give Quality a try as I have some paint work needed. 

• Like 1