How much improvement is there, really, from a $100 putter to a $400 putter? Is it pure marketing, or is there truly a technological improvement that effects your game?

hidrives

I would say that as long as the putter fits you well, there will be no significant difference in performance.  You cant ignore technological advancements in MOI and face technology. 

There are putters with plenty of tech and various fitting options for under $200. People prefer to use the  new and fancy.  It is a hobby for some (like myself), but I am not a believer in more money = better performance. Same goes for the rest of the bag imo 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

34 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

The L.A.B. stuff seems qualitatively different, and they ain't cheap.  But yes, I totally agree with you on about 95% or more of these. Spend the money on lessons and fittings, not a Circle T.    Unless you want to flex, and that's fine too.

I liked a little Huntington Cleveland putter I saw for about a 100 in a PGASS. Made a lot on their little practice green with it.  Not as many as with the branding iron, but a decent amount.

So much of this seems to be fit and getting the alignment/eye parallax stuff right.

Not to get into detail, but LAB markets their tech as different, and it may be, but it didnt have a positive impact quantitatively in my experience.  It is a great example how tech and big $$$ doesnt equate to improved putting. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

People pay double for a hat with some golf brand logo than one without a logo.

Does a YSL handbag work better than one 1/10th the price?

Consumers are more brand conscious than utility conscious.

The overwhelming majority of luxury goods customers are not wealthy. They can barely afford it, but want to look wealthy to others.

A revolutionary putter that reduces bounce and skid by 50% is no match for what a tour pro won with last week.

• Like 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I wonder this every time I pick up a brand new Scotty Cameron.  I look at it so closely trying to figure out why it costs $450.  It is a beautiful putter, but why does it cost so much?  Surely the technology used to roll a ball along a surface can't change that much.  

Oh well. I'll continue to stand there confused in the pro shop until I figure it out.  

Golf Gains X

• CALLAWAY Epic Max LS 9°
  • CALLAWAY Epic Max 5W
  • Cleveland Mashie 18°
  • Wilson Staff Model CB 4-PW
  • LAZRUS V-Milled 52°, 56°, 60°
  • Odyssey White Hot OG 2-Ball
  • K-Sig V3

I've had 1000 dollar putters, a bunch of Scotties, the newest Odyssey's and nothing feels better to me than the Maltby PTM-1 I put together and cost me under 100 bucks. 

The important 2 words in my above statement are TO ME. To each their own, whatever helps to make putts, cost never factors in to my decision. Just my humble opinion. 

Happy Holidays everyone.

• Like 3

Ping G410 Driver

Ping G410 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

I used to be anti “high end putter (500+)”, but after years of buying and selling I figured, “I probably have spent 2x this flipping putters”. So I bit the bullet and got a T22 albeit at a much more reasonable price than many listings. 

There is just something about buying the putter you want. It feels good, looks good, and I immediately sold all my backups and “tinker” putters. Is it any different than a used bin putter? Quality wise - absolutely, performance wise - maybe? 

If you find what you like though, over many years your cost to acquire is much smaller. So now I say go for it. 

Edited by LoopySwing13
  • Like 3

My go-to line working in retail and fitting people to putters is “You could hand Tiger Woods a tree branch and he could putt with it.”

My opinion is that people will putt the best with the putter they spend the most time practicing/playing with. Regardless of price or material or anything else. No one NEEDS a $120k watch to tell time or a $500k car to get from point A to point B. 

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

12 hours ago, GGX_Jacob said:

I wonder this every time I pick up a brand new Scotty Cameron.  I look at it so closely trying to figure out why it costs $450.  It is a beautiful putter, but why does it cost so much?  Surely the technology used to roll a ball along a surface can't change that much.  

Oh well. I'll continue to stand there confused in the pro shop until I figure it out.  

The top end line from every manufacturer is more or less at that price point these days, so its not just Scotty. The main thing they have going for them is that they will hold their value better, just due to the demand of popularity.

Once you get a putter that gets the ball rolling well and has a flat face, the rest of it is on you.

The old "any old Ping or Wilson from Goodwill" is bunk, IMO.  Many of these older putters scooted the ball too much before it gets rolling and many also of them have wear spots in the center where you can get feeler wire under a straightedged on the face in the sweet spot.

For me, any putter made of quality materials since late 1990s that is not worn out should be OK.  Mizuno Cameron and Santa Fe were the first putters that just were "different" in my mind.  Everybody makes them like this now.

• Like 1

After rolling putts and seeing data on how I lined up the putt, how I presented the club to the ball, and how the ball started rolling, I'd agree with the expert that many putters can be set up to fit your putting style.  

Sure, a great putter won't suck with a putter not optimized for his putting stroke, but it matters.

That said, IMO it also needs to fit your eye.  If you don't like how a putter looks when you're standing over a putt you'll never get that special warm, fuzzy feeling that let's you drop occasional 40 footers.  

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

Principle of substitution. You won’t spend $1 more for what you can get for $1 less. The same thoughts exists with watches, rifles, cars, jewelry, coffee, etc. Is Starbucks really worth $5 a cup when you can make it at home for pennies? Rolex vs Timex? 

Cleveland trying to pass off a blade looking POS as “milled” when it’s cast “to save waste” then milled to perfection is a joke. But people buy it. Everyone is trying to say their copy of an Anser is “just as good as SC”. Well, OK. Throw $400 price tag on it and let’s see. Made in USA also matters. Odyssey has a piece made here and a piece made there then someone assembled it here. Maybe. And you ain’t getting “all the tech”. Who wants to bet TriHot AI get melded together next year? People b**** because not much changes with SC, but I think it’s because there ain’t much to change besides what’s superficial.  

28 minutes ago, BHI 99 said:

Principle of substitution. You won’t spend $1 more for what you can get for $1 less. The same thoughts exists with watches, rifles, cars, jewelry, coffee, etc. Is Starbucks really worth $5 a cup when you can make it at home for pennies? Rolex vs Timex? 

Cleveland trying to pass off a blade looking POS as “milled” when it’s cast “to save waste” then milled to perfection is a joke. But people buy it. Everyone is trying to say their copy of an Anser is “just as good as SC”. Well, OK. Throw $400 price tag on it and let’s see. Made in USA also matters. Odyssey has a piece made here and a piece made there then someone assembled it here. Maybe. And you ain’t getting “all the tech”. Who wants to bet TriHot AI get melded together next year? People b**** because not much changes with SC, but I think it’s because there ain’t much to change besides what’s superficial.  

Don't get the anger behind Cleveland on this post. That's not uncommon to do, many do it except Cleveland is being transparent about it and sharing their process on it too. Plus it's a budget line of putters, you can't fully mill a head and expect to keep the price point under $200. That's the whole reason they're doing what they're doing. 

Also it's golf there's a ton of shady branding. Look at all of these "forged" irons today. They're just Forged faces with cast bodies. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I've been using my Newport for 25 years. When I bought it, I went into the store with no preference, and tried everything they had on the floor. I did not plan on buying a $300 putter in 1998, but it was the best one they had.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

45 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

I've been using my Newport for 25 years. When I bought it, I went into the store with no preference, and tried everything they had on the floor. I did not plan on buying a $300 putter in 1998, but it was the best one they had.

And the “tech” that’s changed over the years? Not much and very little. Removable weights and milling is about it. Which in my opinion is huge, but none the less. 

2 hours ago, BHI 99 said:

And the “tech” that’s changed over the years? Not much and very little. Removable weights and milling is about it. Which in my opinion is huge, but none the less. 

Interesting point, while I do agree that it’s a great step forward to allow better customization per user, reading some posts here on the forum also can lend itself to “analysis paralysis.” With great power comes great responsibility… 😂 

• Like 3

On 12/20/2023 at 9:26 AM, hidrives said:

I bought an Odyssey white hot well over a decade ago and was in the golf shop recently when I saw putters pushing past $300 and $400. I didn't try putting with one, but it made me wonder for those that have tried different ones, is there really a difference in hitting one of the high end models vs. a middle of the road one? Putters to me have always been fairly basic pieces of equipment. I don't know if I have an outdated view because the technology does make a difference, or if it's pure marketing and people will shoot just as well with a $400 putter as with a $100 putter, assuming they are buying a quality brand. 

still have to read the green and put a good stroke on it.  putter is useless if you cant see the line and blast it 10 feet by .

50 minutes ago, BHI 99 said:

SC is well built, Made in USA and if someone put a $150 price tag on it next to a Cleveland they’d break their leg trying to buy it. 

Will it perform better though?

• Like 2

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

16 hours ago, BHI 99 said:

Cleveland knows when they say milled and SC says milled, there’s a pile of unsuspecting folk that think it’s the same. Just like forged as you mentioned. 

That's on the consumer to do their research then. 

But really if someone is stoked over a $200 Cleveland because to them it's milled and they like it and the roll it well. Are you going to pop up from behind the ball racks and go "actually they're not milled they're....."? I hope not. But let someone enjoy their equipment. 

I'm an equipment snob but to my bag. If someone I know is over the moon or has their eyes set on a Cleveland, Wilson or any other cheap putter I'll just make sure they have the right setup in that and be happy they're enjoying the game more vs shaking my fist at some online description which again Cleveland fully lays out that these are cast then milled vs being angry at them like you are. 

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, BHI 99 said:

Better is better. I’’m the cheapest skate there is, but don’t think you’re going to sell me s*** and pretend it’s Shinola. 

Just don’t fool yourself in thinking you bought what you didn’t. 

What are you rambling about? Is it past your bedtime or something? 

No one is trying to sell you anything and this is WRX people know what they're buying or they're asking about products. You're fixated on 1 thing and it's clearly irritating you to the point you cannot string a coherent sentence together. 

• Like 4

Lefty - WITB Thread

11 hours ago, BHI 99 said:

Sorry if facts offend you. 

To get out of this hole you dug yourself into dig up stupid.

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 12/22/2023 at 9:19 AM, Ger21 said:

Scotty Newport is about $420 today.

Only a 40% increase,,,,,,,, in 20 25 years ? :classic_blink:

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow