Brad Faxon vs Scott Fawcett: Feel vs Data driven?

nikegolfer93

2 hours ago, jvincent said:

I'm not sure if it's a fault really but from a SG perspective all misses are the same. The fact that some had a chance doesn't matter.

Where the DECADE guys get their panties in a twist is when they look at the dispersion circle. Let's say you've got a 10 ft dispersion circle for putts from 20 feet (yes, you suck that bad). Their argument would be that if you try to finish 2 feet past the hole then a large enough percentage of your next putts will be low probability vs trying to die every putt into the hole.

Again, the premise above is that your speed control sucks. And when you think about it, most really bad amateur putters struggle more with speed than line so from the perspective of improving their scores it makes sense to try and lag it to the hole.

Once you get to a point where your dispersion is better, then from a SG perspective there is very little difference in trying get the ball past the hole vs lagging it to the hole. 

Which to me is an incomplete stat.

Take two golfers on tour

Roy McAvoy is a bit of a head case afraid of three putting…ever.  So he lags every approach putt to about 6 inches to a foot short and taps in the next.

Brad Claxton has excellent speed control and knows it and trusts it.  Every putt is hit with a speed that would finish a foot or two past the hole.

Some of them are going in and creating wins and Roy is headed back to Texas with nothing.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

43 minutes ago, TonyRo said:

I think most people think they're better putters than they are: 

I used to follow Lou and put a lot of stock into these tweets. But then I realized, literally, what is the point of this information?

It just made me more apathetic towards putting. My three-putt rate when way up because, hey, 5-6ft ain't bad according to Lou. And it must be an good result even though it didn't even sniff the hole. I mean, why even bother reading the green if you'd happy with that as a result? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

1 hour ago, RCGA said:

I used to follow Lou and put a lot of stock into these tweets. But then I realized, literally, what is the point of this information?

It just made me more apathetic towards putting. My three-putt rate when way up because, hey, 5-6ft ain't bad according to Lou. And it must be an good result even though it didn't even sniff the hole. I mean, why even bother reading the green if you'd happy with that as a result? 

Lou Stagner and Scott Fawcett are not saying 5-6 feet is not bad. That is a misinterpretation. The point of the information is that 33 feet is the magic number where you have a higher chance of a 3-putt rather than making the putt (These are the stats for PGA tour players).  So, anything outside of 33 feet, the focus should be focusing more on speed and lagging for a two-putt rather than making it.  Likely for amateurs the magic number is much shorter than 33 feet. 

This chart shows the make percentage verses the 3-putt percentage.

putting-chart-feature.webp.e805e96a4e69c7b29dd84b30db308a27.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Based on SG a 6’ putt left 6” short is better than the same 6’ putt hit 3’ past.
Which is fine….if you are measuring misses.  The short putt never had a chance to go in.

Never up never in®

I just thought of this and it's pretty catchy. I think it has a future as a classic golf cliche some day.

So please feel free to use this next time you leave one short.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, m d g said:

Never up never in®

I just thought of this and it's pretty catchy. I think it has a future as a classic golf cliche some day.

So please feel free to use this next time you leave one short.

Wow! I’ve never heard that before.  How witty of you.🤣

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, Mcgeeno said:

As in most things with life, people typically dislike what they dont understand.

I dont think this site is the data driven type of place lol. Its kinda still a 'drive for show putt for dough' type of vibe. 

It's a mixed bag. There are a number of posters who think their methods or feels are all there is, some who live or die by data and nothing else, and many in between who help create pretty enjoyable discussions, add context that might otherwise be missed, and end up contributing a lot to the forums. This site is absurdly good in terms of what can be gleaned given how muddled trying to figure anything out about the game can be on the internet at large.

• Like 3

On 1/10/2024 at 2:02 PM, Dave230 said:

Agreed with this. Have thought this for a while. I think the issue with Brad Faxon sometimes is that he was such a brilliant putter himself, one of the best of all-time, I get the impression from his tuition it's like 'see, it's easy! Don't think about it too much!'... but not everyone is as talented as him, or have that level of feel and hand eye co-ordination. If you do then that can work for you, but if you're not a natural like the vast majority of people who play golf, then sometimes you need a different approach

Agree here and this thought is often why great players, in any sport, rarely make great coaches. 

Because they can't grasp why the players they are coaching can't do what they did. Like you said they sit there and go "it's so easy, just do this." And they get very frustrated.  

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 9:13 AM, MattyO1984 said:

Just as I was reading through this, I remember an old quote from Ebbe Skovdahl who was for a time manger of Aberdeen Football Club:-

"Statistics are like mini-skirts - they give you good ideas but hide the most important parts". He probably be cancelled for saying something like that these days but it sums things up quite well. 

I had heard : "People use stats like drunks use lampposts.  For support, not illumination"  But that mini-skirt one is good as well.  

I can't believe a golf feud is about putting and speed.  LOL.  

I remember many years ago as a kid hearing Jack say that he preferred to putt so the ball died at hole and maybe it would fall in the side if it wasn't right in the hole while Watson preferred putting a little more aggressively.  It didn't turn into a feud.  

34 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I can't believe a golf feud is about putting and speed.  LOL.  

I remember many years ago as a kid hearing Jack say that he preferred to putt so the ball died at hole and maybe it would fall in the side if it wasn't right in the hole while Watson preferred putting a little more aggressively.  It didn't turn into a feud.  

But they were just talking.  This has *stats.*  Stats are a requirement for a "feud."  Refer to the relevant wrx laws. 

Ferguson may even have info on some marital troubles to explain some of this... 

5 hours ago, RobS said:

If Faxon and Fawcett had a real discussion, they would largely be in agreement on putting. Faxon is not anti stats/analytics.  He's on record saying he was interested in all of his stats.  When strokes gained putting was introduced, he called it "an evolution in how we understand the game" and that it "moves us well beyond where we have been in the past in our ability to measure, teach and explain putting performance".  He, however, didn't want to record and think about stats while he was on the golf course.  It was part of his philosophy to maintain a confidence high confidence level and believe he could make any putt.  I'm pretty sure that Faxon's comment about hitting a putt aggressive enough to have to mark a comeback putt is based on his confidence and ability to make a 3'-5' putt and not an all or nothing philosophy where he's willing to risk going 8'-10' by trying to hole a downhill 30' putt.

Fawcett's philosophy is to mitigate risk and manage expectations.  Statistically speaking, an average tour player is going to 3 putt almost twice as often as they 1 putt from 30' if they are hitting the putt hard enough to roll just 4' by the hole.  That's the rationale behind Fawcett's claim that a putt that finishes short can be a good putt.  Fawcett simply preaches not to putt so aggressively that you are introducing a 3 putt while at the same time setting expectations that a 2 putt from distance shouldn't be a disappointment. 

This is sort of a silly argument about a 1' short putt being better than a 4' long putt and vice versa.  No one is saying to leave putts 1' short from inside 10' to lock up a 2 putt and conversely Faxon isn't saying it's ok to risk a 3 putt for a low percentage long putt putt make.  I don't know what Faxon's make rate was from 3'-5' but I'm guessing it was exceptionally high.  If he and Fawcett were analyzing stats together, Fawcett would likely have no problem with Faxon hitting his putts slightly further past the hole than the average tour player.

Great post. Much more nuanced and detailed than I ever could.

I understand the argument from both sides and admittedly lean towards the data end. I used a whole bunch of data (among other things) to go from a 5 handicap when I joined here over a decade ago to a plus 1.7 index as of this year. 

A 50 foot lag putt nussling up to a foot short of the hole for me is an amazing stroke. The 'never up never in' mantra hasnt stuck with me since I was a child and definitely does not ring true with what I see good players do.

Really good shots might not go in or fit with what we used to think many years ago.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RCGA said:

It just made me more apathetic towards putting. My three-putt rate when way up because, hey, 5-6ft ain't bad according to Lou. And it must be a good result even though it didn't even sniff the hole. I mean, why even bother reading the green if you'd happy with that as a result? 

Amen.  I do not believe that their spiels jive with certain personalities. Acceptance isn’t something that driven folks do well.  Accepting failure is the basic gist of all that teaching.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

As in most things with life, people typically dislike what they dont understand.

I dont think this site is the data driven type of place lol. Its kinda still a 'drive for show putt for dough' type of vibe. 

Respectfully disagree.  I’ve paid for decade for a couple years now.  Studied. I understand it. I just don’t agree with the mindset.  And I don’t like the results.  I do like the stats interface. And I do enjoy the info on tour and elite am stats.  For comparison sakes.  It’s nice to know where the tip top ceiling is while raising your own floor. But I don’t believe that even half the world’s best use a similar system to achieve those heights.  Studying the organic data  and acting as if the knowledge of the data and playing toward it will produce better data , is two different things.   I believe the best are trying to make most putts.  And they stop the ball around the hole while doing that.  Telling ams that they can’t make those , so they adopt the strategy to intentionally miss to achieve the same stat - isn’t the same thing.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

I dislike logarithms.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5*

Ping G 16* 3 wood

Ping G15 20* & 23* hybrids

Ping G700 5/UW irons

Ping Glide ES 56* & 60* 

Putter Yes! Marilyn 

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

And some people are the opposite, they dislike the exponential scale.

I’m personally an onomatopoeia man myself.  

• Haha 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

29 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

And why would that be if I may ask?

In a US open qualifier, I'm near the field average for skill and need to shoot a very above average round to have a chance of getting through (normally a ~+5 differential to get through a local qualifier). Best way to maximize my chance of going fairly low is make sure I'm getting putts to the hole inside 30 feet (albeit you can't be totally reckless). I will have no chance at getting through if I'm not getting pretty much everything to the hole inside 30 feet.  

In my club championship, I'm ~2 shots better than the 2nd best player in the field. So especially in the early going, I need to not 3 putt more than I need to be super aggressive in the 20-30 foot range. Winning by 4 or 5 makes no difference to me. But if I have a couple careless 3 putts, I've probably let the field back into a tournament that should be a snoozefest. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mbb86 said:

In a US open qualifier, I'm near the field average for skill and need to shoot a very above average round to have a chance of getting through (normally a ~+5 differential to get through a local qualifier). Best way to maximize my chance of going fairly low is make sure I'm getting putts to the hole inside 30 feet (albeit you can't be totally reckless). I will have no chance at getting through if I'm not getting pretty much everything to the hole inside 30 feet.  

In my club championship, I'm ~2 shots better than the 2nd best player in the field. So especially in the early going, I need to not 3 putt more than I need to be super aggressive in the 20-30 foot range. Winning by 4 or 5 makes no difference to me. But if I have a couple careless 3 putts, I've probably let the field back into a tournament that should be a snoozefest. 

Which is as I expected.  You're in a rarefied air of player first of all, and in a one round scenario, yes, putts getting made are the difference.  In no small part because at that level of play, putts are essentially the only area you can make up ground.  Very few guys are losing balls OB, they are hitting the same number of greens, so you really only have putting as a differentiator.  

As you say, in a different scenario 3 putt avoidance is a bigger key, and over a large sample size, for most players, that will play out.

The other question would be how often do you drill a putt you were trying to make 4-5 past?