New 2024 Titleist AVX ball announced today!

grochol17

4 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Put the NEW AVX in play this past weekend, wasn't impressed.  It wasn't as long as last year's AVX, felt softer at impact much like the lessor tour line.   IMO they downgraded the ball.

After 8 holes gave it to my playing partner and put last year's AVX in play.  The course was damp and mushy in places, and last year's AVX performed nicely.   Looks as though I will be replacing AVX with ProV1 for ugly weather. 

Many of us would appreciate if you play handful of rounds in normal condition and give the feedback.  BTW, aerification season is just around the corner.

16 minutes ago, flushem said:

Many of us would appreciate if you play handful of rounds in normal condition and give the feedback.  BTW, aerification season is just around the corner.

It didn't take me 18 holes to realize that ball's distance isn't equal to the previous version, and it feels too soft.  Subsequently, I gave the box away.  The ball doesn't perform to my expectations, so it wouldn't be fun to play it just to post what I already know. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

14 hours ago, flushem said:

I'm hoping within the next week to get some time on a trackman to compare launch conditions.  It will be indoors, so I won't be able to tell anything about the downrange flight of the ball, but at the very least I'll be able to get an idea of ball speed, launch, spin, etc.  I'll share those numbers whenever I get them.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

20 hours ago, flushem said:

I'm now 4-5 rounds in with new AVX.  For my swing its definitely still as long as the old one.  Way to many variables to sleuth out why one other poster may be experiencing otherwise.  Also still feel like greenside spin is where I need it to be.  Ball is a great fit for my game but again, if you are considering, just buy a sleeve and try it.    

• Like 4

Played 4 more rounds since my last post on this. Two with the new AVX and two with Chrome Tour. All these rounds have been around handicap, summer here in Australia. Both these balls are long for me, easy to get a good drive past 250 yards, 7 iron is comfortably around the 155 yard mark. 

I’m leaning to the CT, I think these balls are close in performance for me, it’s just that the AVX is so soft off putter and wedges. 

Driver = Callaway Rogue ST Max w Kai’li White 60S

3HL = Callaway Paradigm X w Tensei AV Blue 75S

3UI = Srixon ZX Mkii w Recoil DART 90
5-PW = XXIO X 12 w N.S. Pro 950GH Neo DST

Wedges = Cobra Snakebite 48 | 52 | 58

Putter = Wilson Staff Model 8802 

Ball = 2024 AVX 

On 2/2/2024 at 2:24 PM, grochol17 said:

The problem with the swing speed approach is that not everyone with the same swing speed has the same launch conditions or needs from a ball.  In an interview, a Titleist tour rep said that, in spite of their "slow" swing speeds, a lot of LPGA tour players fit into the V1x better because of the high flight and high spin.

Spot on with this. The "traditional wisdom" is that Prov1x is really only for people with swings speeds of 110 or above (in fact Titleist says that this is who it is designed for). It is a four piece, dual core ball, and you really need some serious SS to get enough compression to activate that inner core. So with a slower SS, it is (functionally) a three piece ball. But a really good three piece ball.

My driver SS probably averages 90 (I'm old). 85 if I got up too early to play golf or are stiff, 95 or even 100 if my body's good or I swing out of my shoes (which is rare). Been a decade since I was close to a 110 SS.  In practice, however, I found almost no difference in distance or playability between the 1 and 1x, other than the 1x having a bit more spin with wedges around the green. I still play the ProV1, but more for aesthetic reasons. It does pretty much the same thing as the 1x (at my SS), but just feels a little better. The 1x (paradoxically) spins more, but feels much harder. Almost sort of unpleasantly clicky off wedges and the putter. (Is not just a minor difference, it is very distinct. Could easily tell the difference with my eyes closed. Assuming I could actually hit a ball with my eyes closed. Which is quite questionable, as I have a hard enough time hitting a golf ball with my eyes open. But you get the point. 😂)

Has been interesting to read this thread, especially the posts that compared the AVX to the ProV1 or 1x. Almost sounds worth it to try a couple sleeves. I don't actually care about cost at all. Will pay more for my first couple of rounds of the year than I'll spend on even the most expensive golf balls for the entire year. I generally buy a couple dozen balls at the beginning of the season, and they last for most of it (unless I'm playing a lot of golf, or an unusual number of links courses - that always eat a ball or two ). Am more likely to wear balls out than lose them ... cart path scuffs get retired. More interested in the eternal quest to find the best playing (and feeling) ball for my game. 

Sounds like the AVX may be worth at least a look. 

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I had a chance to get on an indoor trackman today to do some testing with the 2024 and 2022 AVX.  Indoors obviously means the test was a bit limited because I couldn't see the ball flight, so I'm not sure how the new aerodynamics may change things.  And the room is a bit small, so the trackman was estimating the spin the entire time, but I'm guessing that the relative numbers should be pretty darn accurate even if the absolute numbers are not.  I hit full swing shots with 3 wood and 6 iron, and some 3/4 shots with my 58* wedge.  And for the last bit of context, I'm a 5 handicap and my ball striking is the strong point of my game (with everything but the driver), so while I'm not a robot, I'm reasonably consistent.   

All that being said, the ball speed, smash factor, spin rates, and launch angle of the two balls were pretty much identical for the shots I hit.  They also felt the same to me on all shots.

When I can find the yellow ones in store near me I'm going to pick up a dozen to give them a proper test on course to see how things go with the short game and to find out if the change in aerodynamics provides any noticeable difference between the two balls.  But, it sure seems that the 2024 AVX is very very similar to the 2022 AVX.

Piretti Potenza 1.5

On 3/3/2024 at 8:35 PM, grochol17 said:

I had a chance to get on an indoor trackman today to do some testing with the 2024 and 2022 AVX.  Indoors obviously means the test was a bit limited because I couldn't see the ball flight, so I'm not sure how the new aerodynamics may change things.  And the room is a bit small, so the trackman was estimating the spin the entire time, but I'm guessing that the relative numbers should be pretty darn accurate even if the absolute numbers are not.  I hit full swing shots with 3 wood and 6 iron, and some 3/4 shots with my 58* wedge.  And for the last bit of context, I'm a 5 handicap and my ball striking is the strong point of my game (with everything but the driver), so while I'm not a robot, I'm reasonably consistent.   

All that being said, the ball speed, smash factor, spin rates, and launch angle of the two balls were pretty much identical for the shots I hit.  They also felt the same to me on all shots.

When I can find the yellow ones in store near me I'm going to pick up a dozen to give them a proper test on course to see how things go with the short game and to find out if the change in aerodynamics provides any noticeable difference between the two balls.  But, it sure seems that the 2024 AVX is very very similar to the 2022 AVX.

did the 2024 feel any softer then 2022?

49 minutes ago, monks66 said:

did the 2024 feel any softer then 2022?

I didn't notice any obvious feel differences between the two on any of my full shots, though your mileage may vary.  For example, I know a lot of people complain that the left dash is clicky.  When I did a Titleist ball fitting about a month ago I thought the left dash felt a bit firmer than the Pro V1, but I definitely would not have called it clicky.  Maybe all golf balls feel about the same when you only hit them in the center of the face?  🤣 

But, seriously, in my limited testing I've really felt like the new and old ball are basically then same in every way, with two caveats.  One, putting and maybe chipping, the 2024 AVX might be a tiny bit softer feeling, but it isn't much.  And, two, I've not had a chance to do much with testing pitch shots, so I don't know how the AVXs compare in those situations.  In my one round with the 24 AVX I felt like it had plenty of spin on those shots, but it was in a scramble, so I wasn't able to do any back-to-back comparisons.  For various reasons it will be a few weeks before I can get them out on the course to see how they play over a couple of rounds, but I'll report back when I have a more complete on course picture of the new ball.

• Like 2

Piretti Potenza 1.5

Have made a few posts in this thread. Have now been playing the 2024 AVX for a good 6 to 8 weeks, my handicap is 4 shots lower! This ball is longer, straighter and it has plenty of zip and check around the greens. My bag is mostly irons, where the ball flight and length is better and very consistent. 

im no Titleist fan and I usually have a high ball flight with everything but … credit where it’s due. For a mid 90s swing speed this ball works across my game. It’s summer here so we are getting a bit of run but 260+ drives for me were never a regular thing. They are now!

• Like 3

Ball = 2024 AVX 

I love this new ball 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

On 2/21/2024 at 2:48 PM, grochol17 said:

I never said your experience of hitting the AVX futher than the left dash wasn't real.  I hit the AVX further than the left dash, but it is not because of ball speed... with driver, 7 iron, and wedge during my ball fitting I had marginally lower ball speed with the AVX than the left dash.  I hit the AVX further because its flight characteristics work best for my launch conditions. 

What I said is that your *why* is wrong.  Soft golf balls do not produce faster ball speeds than firm golf balls at any swing speed.

And, I'm not making an assumption about this.  The my golf spy robot ball testing data refutes this idea that softer balls compress better and thus give faster ball speeds at slower swing speeds.  While I don't have access to their data, the fact that Ping's Ballnamic fits slow swing golfers into the "X" version of golf balls and Titleist fits many of their LPGA Tour players into the V1x also does not support the idea that softer golf balls are universally better than hard golf balls for slower swing speeds because of some magical increase in ball speed.  You can keep believing that the AVX is better for you in cold/bad weather because it is softer, but your one "personal experience" data point doesn't override the plethora of data to the contrary.

Softer golf balls do not produce more ball speed, per se, but they do spin less.  And lower spin can equal more distance on drives and full iron shots.  

Ping's Ballnamic fit me into a Bridgestone BX, even though my driver swing speed is 104 (BX marketed as being for 105 and above).  However the BX is 10 yards shorter off the tee and 5 yards shorter on full iron shots than the BRX or the AVX.  So don't think of Ballnamic being the gospel of correct ball fitting for all people.  It certainly wasn't for me.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Temp was in the mid 40's with some nagging wind, but I put the AVX in play anyway.  Performed exceptional!  I liked the distance, especially off the irons.  I didn't have a very good day with the driver, so I can't say much about that performance.  I can probably count on one hand how many good drives I had.  But .... into the wind, it stayed nice in low.  A few iron shots went further than expected thru the wind, either that or the wind stopped blowing right as I hit it.  🤣  I love the softer cover now on the AVX   Previous iterations had a louder, more audible, click ... this one does not.  Hit a number of wedges that flew high & stopped really easily.  I played the entire round with one ball & there were hardly any marks on it.  So durability is a plus as well.  👍  Only one round with it but I'm impressed so far.  

image.png.84627bd8b8b17b794d5a8bcca0eeb5c9.png

image.png.9a41acc0e8b9914f31fff7d5c6d621e8.png

image.png.33243747e2ece91ebdd141c90a057f5c.png

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

1 hour ago, HackinNut said:

Temp was in the mid 40's with some nagging wind, but I put the AVX in play anyway.  Performed exceptional!  I liked the distance, especially off the irons.  I didn't have a very good day with the driver, so I can't say much about that performance.  I can probably count on one hand how many good drives I had.  But .... into the wind, it stayed nice in low.  A few iron shots went further than expected thru the wind, either that or the wind stopped blowing right as I hit it.  🤣  I love the softer cover now on the AVX   Previous iterations had a louder, more audible, click ... this one does not.  Hit a number of wedges that flew high & stopped really easily.  I played the entire round with one ball & there were hardly any marks on it.  So durability is a plus as well.  👍  Only one round with it but I'm impressed so far.  

image.png.84627bd8b8b17b794d5a8bcca0eeb5c9.png

image.png.9a41acc0e8b9914f31fff7d5c6d621e8.png

image.png.33243747e2ece91ebdd141c90a057f5c.png

I've got to say, that looks a little beat-up to me. I probably would finish the round with a ball that looks like that but would not use it again.

I’m loving this ball.  

but anyone having issues finding yellow now, in the new model? I’ve been to a few stores now in Atlanta, Mobile, Nashville and Raleigh. All while looking while I’m working in those areas and they have plenty of new AVX and white but not in yellow.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

On 3/25/2024 at 4:56 PM, Minarets said:

I’m loving this ball.  

but anyone having issues finding yellow now, in the new model? I’ve been to a few stores now in Atlanta, Mobile, Nashville and Raleigh. All while looking while I’m working in those areas and they have plenty of new AVX and white but not in yellow.  

I was in my local PGA Tour Superstore today... they had 10 stacks of the new AVX, but only one stack was yellow.  I didn't count individual boxes, but it looks like either Titleist isn't producing a lot of the yellow right now, or they are really popular.

• Like 1

Piretti Potenza 1.5

I like the AVX and I did the buy 3 get 1 deal so they're coming in at $40/dozen for me. Four dozen balls will last me a year. 

We all have our performance preferences but getting hung up on exactly what type of urethane is used for the cover seems a bit silly. If the only issue with it is perceived value for dollars spent you can get around that by finding deals like I did.  

Whether you want to believe it or not, the biggest difference between a $30 ball and a $55 ball is MARKETING. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 3/25/2024 at 3:03 PM, North Butte said:

I've got to say, that looks a little beat-up to me. I probably would finish the round with a ball that looks like that but would not use it again.

Yeah it's gone into the den caddy 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

Put the 24 AVX out for a round this morning. Course was a little wet so I can't really comment on short game spin, but I had one stop within 2 feet from a 170 yard 6 iron off tee (into moderate headwind so flighted down slightly).

This post is more about durability - the ball has one tiny scuff and it hit a few trees and bounced down a path at one point. As a B X user traditionally, and the odd V1, I can say this AVX initially seems far more durable than both. The B X I'd get one round out of then it would be used as a risk ball. V1's are usually pretty chopped from the 50 and 54 after a round to the point that again I'd only use it as a risk ball - also why I went away from V1's.

First post here, but I thought it would be good to have a view from someone that doesn't usually game Titleist balls (or have any bias for Cast/TPU covers).

I hit a high ball with moderate spin and 108ish SS (2hcp). Honestly I find it hard to distinguish between the 3 in terms of distance and launch. I do prefer the feel of the AVX, plus I guess 80 compression with my SS did produce a more knuckle ball flight from the driver which is handy in windy conditions. Be interesting to see what the spin is like on a dry day, I've got 3 comp rounds coming up over the next 3 days so that'll be a good test.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, North Butte said:

That said, some of the guys I play with would find a ball like that in the rough somewhere and say, "Look at this, it's good as new. Plenty of rounds left in this one!". 

I have a buddy at my club and we play weekly. He plays well over 100 rounds a year. He buys the 4 for 3 deal every year and those balls last him until next years 4 for 3. Of course he plays any found ball plus ones given to him in tournaments but still to make those last all year is amazing. Some of the balls I see him playing look gray they are so bad. We make fun of him all the time. He's a good golfer too. Around a 4 -5 HC.

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 2:20 PM, NDSwim said:

I’ve been playing these for years.  Anyone play avx and think the new generation are horrible?  Bad cover, scuff easily and the graphics on the ball are not good.  Definitely not a premium ball.

Been playing the last few versions. Big changes in the new ball but have not seen anything quality wise that stands out. 

Ball = 2024 AVX 

21 hours ago, jrsgar said:

My driver ball speed is 125 average mph. Is that fast enough for this ball? Any comments will be appreicated.

Swing/ball speed only matters if you have a very high swing speed and try playing a low compression ball.  In that case, you're likely to "overcompress" it and start losing distance.  On the other end, it never happens that a low compression ball gives higher ball speeds for slow swing speeds.  So you should pick a ball based on the performance you're looking for... for example, the AVX is designed to be a low spin, low flight golf ball off most clubs, but with a decent amount of spin on short game shots.  If that is what you want or need, then you should definitely give it a shot. 

Piretti Potenza 1.5