Wide blades

PNW

Hi all, hoping for some help with suggestions. I'm looking to get a wide blade anser/newport style putter (rather than newport 2) and trying to figure out options. Would love something that is a little more squat heel to toe (similar to Bettinardi BB1W). The tricky part is getting to my ideal weight around 340g. Also, no soft inserts... prefer a milled face. Plumber or mid slant hosels. 

The two I've come up with are EVNROLL ER2.2 or Artisan 0519. Obviously a price difference on those but I don't mind spending ~$1,200 if it fits my ideal specs and I plan to keep for a long time. 

Are there any others that you all recommend taking a look at? The head weight one is the biggest limiter. I've tested a number of head weights and hosel styles over the years and feel pretty confident with these specs. 

Thank you!

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

Will be very hard to find at your desired weight.  It might be a "remove the sole weight" type of fit. 

You can always go custom from other guys for much more reasonable pricing. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

My artisan wide is phenomenal.  340 I don’t think will be a problem… my head with no weights is 335g’s 

Only other wide blade I’d consider would be a Sink or a 2D from that new Ping plus program.   The Sink will be my next custom for sure..

IMG_3639.jpeg

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Sink is a great option. Goodwood is also good for the price. Royal Payne has a nice wide body too!

• Thanks 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

30 minutes ago, Phabs said:

My artisan wide is phenomenal.  340 I don’t think will be a problem… my head with no weights is 335g’s 

Only other wide blade I’d consider would be a Sink or a 2D from that new Ping plus program.   The Sink will be my next custom for sure..

IMG_3639.jpeg

My OP really should have been "what should I double check before doing an Artisan 0519 custom order." That's such a good looking putter and I noticed they can go as low as 330g. What milling depth did you go with and what is the feel like? I tend to prefer only light milling or no face milling. 

Good call from both of you @DFS PFD on double checking Ping. They tend to do heavier heads so hadn't thought of their custom program. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

3 minutes ago, PNW said:

My OP really should have been "what should I double check before doing an Artisan 0519 custom order." That's such a good looking putter and I noticed they can go as low as 330g. What milling depth did you go with and what is the feel like? I tend to prefer only light milling or no face milling. 

Good call from both of you @DFS PFD on double checking Ping. They tend to do heavier heads so hadn't thought of their custom program. 

Between Ping PLD and Artisan you'll be in great hands, I'm sure either can easily accommodate a 340g head weight. Let us know what you end up going with and good luck! 

1 minute ago, DFS PFD said:

Between Ping PLD and Artisan you'll be in great hands, I'm sure either can easily accommodate a 340g head weight. Let us know what you end up going with and good luck! 

Thank you, great to hear about Ping being an option too. I think I can safely knock EVNROLL off the list which I wasn't too pumped about in the first place... Appreciate it!

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

28 minutes ago, PNW said:

That’s the mid mill on their carbon head… I’ve got some miles on mine now.  

It’s perfect for what I want feel wise out of a head.  The head had a “ting” spot that I fought for most last season on long putts.  I sent it back to John at Artisan and after a few phone calls he had it figured out.  I played 5 or so rounds with it after I got it back and the issue was addressed.  Biggest thing about my Artisan versus the other customs I own - when you sole this putter it has ZERO rock... it soles square and requires no manipulation which I love.  John prides himself on that 

IMG_6435.jpeg

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

PLD Wide blades are 360g+ and most likely can't get them down to 340g just an FYI on that.

Artisan is probably the best option, can always look at NCW/3DP Putters but wait time will be a while. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

23 minutes ago, jls667 said:

Bettinardi BB8W might be what you're interested in. Maple Hill also has mint demos on a huge discount right now for the 2022 series. Comes in at 350g though so just depends on how sensitive you are to the 10g difference.

That's a good suggestion and I tried it and ended up selling it. I actually also have a 2022 BB1 with an Accra graphite shaft in it that I'm meaning to sell as well. It's heavier than I like and actually comes in at 352 when I pulled it. I keep going back to my 2000 Pro Platinum Mid-Slant that's 330g but am comfortable up to 340. Also tried going shorter than 35" to handle something a little heavier but wasn't comfortable. But I think Bettinardi does a great job with their retail putters. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

I know that you mentioned that you would prefer a milled putter but it might be worth checking out the Odyssey AI One double wide with the plumber’s neck. I would say that insert is on the firmer feeling side. It has a stock weight of 360g with 15g weights in the head. If you swap out the 15g weights for 5g weights, then you have your 340g putter head. 

• Thanks 1

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

For the sake of the thread in case someone else is looking for something similar, Edel has a new wide anser2/newport2 with good hosel and alignment options along with a wide head weight range. I'm likely going with the Artisan but thought I'd share for anyone else interested

Edel Golf Array B-1 Putter

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

On 2/22/2024 at 9:58 AM, PNW said:

For the sake of the thread in case someone else is looking for something similar, Edel has a new wide anser2/newport2 with good hosel and alignment options along with a wide head weight range. I'm likely going with the Artisan but thought I'd share for anyone else interested

Edel Golf Array B-1 Putter

I'm getting fit for an Edel on Monday at their HQ in Denver. I'm coming off a 1992ish Mizuno M100 Scotty Cameron blade, so hoping that one of the blades or wider blades from Edel is suited for me, but I've never been fit for a putter before and open to anything. But really want a blade or wide blade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, angler99 said:

I'm getting fit for an Edel on Monday at their HQ in Denver. I'm coming off a 1992ish Mizuno M100 Scotty Cameron blade, so hoping that one of the blades or wider blades from Edel is suited for me, but I've never been fit for a putter before and open to anything. But really want a blade or wide blade.

Curious to hear what you think. Are you doing irons or wedges also? I bet Edel does a great job fitting in general 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Just now, PNW said:

Curious to hear what you think. Are you doing irons or wedges also? I bet Edel does a great job fitting in general 

Just a putter. I don't think I like the idea of choosing between just two heads on their irons. I've only been fitted for a driver so play mostly off the rack with everything else. Wedges wear out too fast for me to drop too much on them, but it's probably a wise investment.  I have baby number 2 on the way in 2 weeks, so this is my last chance to get a putter that will hopefully suit me well for the next 10 years or so. I've only used two different putters in the last 15 years.

2 minutes ago, angler99 said:

Just a putter. I don't think I like the idea of choosing between just two heads on their irons. I've only been fitted for a driver so play mostly off the rack with everything else. Wedges wear out too fast for me to drop too much on them, but it's probably a wise investment.  I have baby number 2 on the way in 2 weeks, so this is my last chance to get a putter that will hopefully suit me well for the next 10 years or so. I've only used two different putters in the last 15 years.

Nice, get the fitting in while you can! And a putting mat to get some practice in between changing diapers 🙂. I have a 5 year old and 1 year old and spent a lot of the last year trying to dial in putter preferences after playing mostly the same putter (SC Pro Platinum Mid Slant) for about 23 years. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

TaylorMade Just released an updated version of there TP Collection in all black

The Del Monte is the Wide Blade option. Not sure of the weight

$199.99

Sounds like a good deal

• Like 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

On 2/20/2024 at 2:55 PM, PNW said:

Let us know how the artisan order goes... post pics when you get it haha 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

51 minutes ago, Phabs said:

Let us know how the artisan order goes... post pics when you get it haha 

Will do! I am actually going to test a mild counterbalance first on my Bettinardi BB1 at 352g to see how I react to more static weight while keeping it from feeling so head heavy which has messed with my pace in the past. This might buy me time while I try to rationalize flying from Seattle to Fort Worth for an in-person fitting. I've been reading through the Artisan Love thread and seems like such an ideal putter fitting scenario by itself, coupled with a putter that I already know will appreciate. I just need to be careful because I know I'll find myself doing an iron and wedge fitting there too haha

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

1 minute ago, PNW said:

Will do! I am actually going to test a mild counterbalance first on my Bettinardi BB1 at 352g to see how I react to more static weight while keeping it from feeling so head heavy which has messed with my pace in the past. This might buy me time while I try to rationalize flying from Seattle to Fort Worth for an in-person fitting. I've been reading through the Artisan Love thread and seems like such an ideal putter fitting scenario by itself, coupled with a putter that I already know will appreciate. I just need to be careful because I know I'll find myself doing an iron and wedge fitting there too haha

It’s a sickness… welcome to my world 🤣

For what it’s worth the phone fitting is worthwhile if you know what specs you need to be in for loft / lie and headweight 

IMG_5899.jpeg

• Haha 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 minutes ago, Phabs said:

It’s a sickness… welcome to my world 🤣

For what it’s worth the phone fitting is worthwhile if you know what specs you need to be in for loft / lie and headweight 

IMG_5899.jpeg

That's exactly what I had in mind... been eyeing the HC model for a while now. First time I saw those I made up my mind to sell my MC501s. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100