2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Worse US Open choke: Rory today or Dustin Johnson in 2015?

LimaSierra

Just now, EmperorPenguin said:

The putt on the 18th was no gimme, but Rory's putt on 16 was the mistake.  I think it was his first putt missed inside 3' for nearly 500 attempts?

The putt on 18 was so hard I struggle to even consider missing that one a "choke" job. 

I mean, I get it, it was inside 4 feet. But the camera doesn't lie, he was aimed well outside the hole and it still wasn't enough. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

The putt on 18 was so hard I struggle to even consider missing that one a "choke" job. 

I mean, I get it, it was inside 4 feet. But the camera doesn't lie, he was aimed well outside the hole and it still wasn't enough. 

The mistake was not leaving his chip shot below the hole. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

51 minutes ago, ClintDagger said:

The word choke is polarizing, but the bottom line is that something has happened to McIlroy mentally that he will have to overcome to win another major.  I don’t know what caused it, if it was one thing or an accumulation, but it’s there now.  You could see once it appeared the tourney was his to lose he became a different guy.  And we’ve seen it before with him in other majors over the last 7 or 8 years.

He'll win another one. He's playing too good right now not too. And he seems laser focused. 

Reminds me a bit of Duval or even Xander not being able to get it done after putting themselves in that position a bunch of times and coming up close. Just like Xander losing his lead a week or two before the PGA, the best time for Rory is now and the next one (The Open). He's 35. Not 45. And there's nothing about his game that looks like he's losing ground to the younger generation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

Just trying to get my arms this.  

So, if I have some surgery (with the best and most favored surgeon in a medical practice), and he makes an error resulting in an unwanted outcome, he can't be criticized by me (the patient) because I never performed surgery?

Never really understood that either. Went through it a ton as a Bears fan who was critical of the last two overhyped QB prospects. "Let's see you do better!". I know I can't, i'm not comparing these guys to the average human i'm comparing them to their peers and they freaking stink in comparison.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

When he set up I literally said out loud to my brothers "is this really gonna break that much"? And, yeah, that much and then a little more. That was a brutal slider.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paincake said:

Do you also require your oncologist be a cancer survivor?

We get it, you like Rory.  But just because we haven't 'wOn A tOuRnAmEnT', we can still make the observation that he choked.  Bad-faith take, bruh. Cillian Murphy No GIF by ARTEfr

First of all, I'm not your "bruh" ...

It looks like you need to fix your shift key ...

And if you don't know, you don't know.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

There was a stark difference in how Rory and BDC interacted with the crowd throughout the day on Sunday.

Did Bryson overdo his crowd interactions throughout the day? Without a doubt, yes. At times it seemed over-the-top and borderline disrespectful to both his playing partner and the other players ahead on the course. One could charitably say he has become used to a different tournament environment. 

Was Rory too reticent and detached from the energy the crowd was feeding him? Again, I say yes. There were times after he made birdies and the crowd was really cheering him on and he didn't even acknowledge the galleries.

I don't think it turned anyone against his efforts but it probably seemed incredibly cold once BDC came through and was chopping it up with the grandstands and fully interacting with the entire crowd. While BDC was giving high fives Rory was asking people to stand still. 

Honestly it's starting to seem like Rory has a distaste for American sports fans and the way American galleries have gotten more raucous and rowdy during the Ryder Cup and at majors. I can't say I like it either but it's not productive to hate the environment you're forced to work in for your millions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rory chokes and Scheffler struggles?

The real choker was Scheffler.  He had a terrible week.  He faced a premium field at a tough track and couldn't perform, folding  like a cheap suit.  

Now, here he is again trying to get in the news by saying he's "thinking about making a change."

Go have a fancy coffee drink and take a long look in the mirror, Scheffler.   You're not as good as you think you are.

https://www.thegolfinggazette.com/news/scottie-scheffler-confirms-change-hes-thinking-about-making-after-struggling-at-the-us-open/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

It was a bad stroke though. It was very timid, not trusting line, causing putt to wipe across face like that and go right 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, me05501 said:

There was a stark difference in how Rory and BDC interacted with the crowd throughout the day on Sunday.

Did Bryson overdo his crowd interactions throughout the day? Without a doubt, yes. At times it seemed over-the-top and borderline disrespectful to both his playing partner and the other players ahead on the course. One could charitably say he has become used to a different tournament environment. 

Was Rory too reticent and detached from the energy the crowd was feeding him? Again, I say yes. There were times after he made birdies and the crowd was really cheering him on and he didn't even acknowledge the galleries.

I don't think it turned anyone against his efforts but it probably seemed incredibly cold once BDC came through and was chopping it up with the grandstands and fully interacting with the entire crowd. While BDC was giving high fives Rory was asking people to stand still. 

Honestly it's starting to seem like Rory has a distaste for American sports fans and the way American galleries have gotten more raucous and rowdy during the Ryder Cup and at majors. I can't say I like it either but it's not productive to hate the environment you're forced to work in for your millions. 

Admittedly i thought Rory's attitude after the merger was announced was a bit of an act. But in retrospect i think it was more genuine than i believed. He does seem different and a little bitter i think at the past couple of years. 

I'm not sure he distastes American fans, but i could see him not having a ton of passion for his job right now. 

I like Bryson a lot, he has grown on me. His personality is a bit different and always has been---but i appreciate how hard he tries to put on a good show

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It was painful to watch but in fairness, that last putt was not an easy one. Downhill big left to right 4-footer, 3 or 4 cups out. I might make 5 or 6 out of 10 of those under pressure if I'm lucky. 

Edited by geesecougar2
  • Like 1

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

13 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

The real choker was Scheffler.  He had a terrible week.  He faced a premium field at a tough track and couldn't perform, folding  like a cheap suit.  

Now, here he is again trying to get in the news by saying he's "thinking about making a change."

Go have a fancy coffee drink and take a long look in the mirror, Scheffler.   You're not as good as you think you are.

https://www.thegolfinggazette.com/news/scottie-scheffler-confirms-change-hes-thinking-about-making-after-struggling-at-the-us-open/

For those of that don't know the context, what is your beef with Scheffler about? Genuine question on my part because I missed the context but see your posts where you aren't a fan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

I was shocked at the odds on Scottie going into the week. It was hard to find a commentator who didn't separate him from the rest of the field. I heard a few segments based around the idea of "Assuming Scottie doesn't win, and he should, who else might compete for this one?" 

It made no sense to me. It was pretty clear those greens weren't going to be a great fit for a very average putter like SS.

Admittedly I never expected him to fight his driver like he did, but then BDC couldn't hit a fairway on Sunday's back nine to save his life and he still found a way to get the ball in the hole. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LimaSierra said:

It was a bad stroke though. It was very timid, not trusting line, causing putt to wipe across face like that and go right 

I think everyone of us has missed a similar putt to that before, fast breaking slider going away from you. So easy to wipe it there when you don't hit it confidently. Natural instinct makes you almost want to guide it in to the hole, the ball is on the putter face for way too long and it dives hard away from you. Always hit a second one with normal stroke carelessly and it goes in. Having that putt for anything meaningful would be nightmare fuel for me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

um, no. He didnt have a 2-shot lead with 4 to play and proceeds to  miss a couple of shorties.......no post-interviews for Rory, was looking for a place to hide, i suppose. Humbling game 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, me05501 said:

My view is that Rory was trying to go about his business without getting involved with the crowd.  That's the way that Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson got things done.  Remember that Arnold Palmer had a Masters won, took congratulations from George Low walking up the 18th fairway, and then lost after hitting in a bunker and making a mess of the bunker shot.

Perhaps American fans have been "spoiled" by Tiger's fist pumps (contrived antics?) and general over the top celebrations.  I'm old enough to respect golfers who didn't and don't show that outward emotion until the last putt is in the hole.  People don't get warm and fuzzies from Scheffler, but I sure respect his golf game and the way that he has been winning important golf tournaments. 

I think that Bryson's act is an act; always has been and probably always will be.  He comes across as a little boy wrapped in a man's body.  Mr scientist without a degree, etc.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

34 minutes ago, AThompson_3 said:

For those of that don't know the context, what is your beef with Scheffler about? Genuine question on my part because I missed the context but see your posts where you aren't a fan.

It's just a worn-out schtick he sticks to like glue.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Poor Rory, that was a tough putt. Nobody wants that putt to win it. That is all.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

1 minute ago, gvogel said:

My view is that Rory was trying to go about his business without getting involved with the crowd.  That's the way that Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson got things done.  Remember that Arnold Palmer had a Masters won, took congratulations from George Low walking up the 18th fairway, and then lost after hitting in a bunker and making a mess of the bunker shot.

Perhaps American fans have been "spoiled" by Tiger's fist pumps (contrived antics?) and general over the top celebrations.  I'm old enough to respect golfers who didn't and don't show that outward emotion until the last putt is in the hole.  People don't get warm and fuzzies from Scheffler, but I sure respect his golf game and the way that he has been winning important golf tournaments. 

I think that Bryson's act is an act; always has been and probably always will be.  He comes across as a little boy wrapped in a man's body.  Mr scientist without a degree, etc.

I can't disagree with any of that, and we know Rory has been dealing with off-course stuff as well. Maybe there was a part of him who felt some added pressure from the PGAT vs. LIV too. 

The course presented an incredibly challenging test and it caught up to him at the worst time. Today's narrative would be very different if he'd missed those short putts earlier in the round and somehow ended up in second place by a stroke. It would be "fell just short" vs. "gave it away." 

• Thanks 1

By the way, I wish I were good enough to have choked into second place in two consecutive US Opens.

To me, choking is when you have never won, and then you throw up on yourself - see Greg Norman at Augusta.  Rory might have choked a bit yesterday, maybe on 16, but it may also have been that a very difficult golf course wore him down.  Concentration is tough to maintain for 4 days under the circumstances.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

41 minutes ago, freddi22cl said:

um, no. He didnt have a 2-shot lead with 4 to play and proceeds to  miss a couple of shorties.......no post-interviews for Rory, was looking for a place to hide, i suppose. Humbling game 

Here is the difference:

It's unfortunate but true, Rory has been doing this for years.  This pattern of poor weekend performance (albeit putting or wedge play) is becoming almost typical. 

Again, not a first-time event.  

Scheffler, on the other hand, was fully expected to win.  Many of the pundits claimed it was "the field against Scheffler."

The betting houses and all the media pointed to Scheffler. 

Choking to me is being #1 (on paper) and almost missing a cut.  That's chop city.

At least Rory was in there with a fighting chance.  

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I was shocked at the odds on Scottie going into the week. It was hard to find a commentator who didn't separate him from the rest of the field. I heard a few segments based around the idea of "Assuming Scottie doesn't win, and he should, who else might compete for this one?" 

It made no sense to me. It was pretty clear those greens weren't going to be a great fit for a very average putter like SS.

Admittedly I never expected him to fight his driver like he did, but then BDC couldn't hit a fairway on Sunday's back nine to save his life and he still found a way to get the ball in the hole. 

Let's  face it - Scheffler is a fake #1.   

He can't win with a full field (inclusive of the other guys).  He needed the media to save face by running to his rescue stating "how hard it must be to win after winning the week prior."  Why in hell is he not spending more time with his new family?

Bryson showed grit and determination.  

Scheffler showed us a silly haircut. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ferguson said:

Scheffler showed us a silly haircut. 

Samson Scheffler? High and tight.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Rory could be having marital problems.   

1 minute ago, straightshot7 said:

he should have been tied or leading going into Sunday, and he wins. 

Oh come on, he would find another way to choke.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag