2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Help with the heat

caniac6

I don’t know if it’s medication I take, my advancing age (70 this summer), increasing heat, or all of the above, but the heat is killing me! I drink about 65 oz. of water/ electrolyte drink per round. I’m riding rather than walking. I have an Aussie Chiller hat, and cooling towels. I recently read about a cooling towel that can be worn while playing, but don’t remember the name. Can you guys help me out?

Not so sure about the synthetic fabrics, may depend on humidity or other factors.  I like loose linen shirts, long loose cotton pants, and a coconut hat.

Anyway, this may be of interest:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K998LU2/?tag=verywellfit-onsite-prod-20&ascsubtag=8662763|n67729a069bf8404b91dbc80724b4238904|B01K998LU2

And I have to say, “killing you” could turn out to be more than metaphorical if you’re not careful.

I don't know what medication you are taking but my friend 65 yrs old was having issues last week with the heat more than normal. It was due to medication he is on and the extreme heat. His blood pressure was dropping very low in the extreme heat. Along with staying hydrated he is drinking a few protein shakes (boost) during his round now. That is supposed to help him with his issue.

I like the Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad cooling towel. When dry it is like a hard piece of leather but when wet it works fantastic. It actually feels like it gets cold to me when adding tap water. It stays cooler longer than my friend's cheap cooler towel.

The Aussie Chiller hat you wear is a good hat to wear in the heat. I have four of them. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

Not so sure about the synthetic fabrics, may depend on humidity or other factors.  I like loose linen shirts, long loose cotton pants, and a coconut hat.

Anyway, this may be of interest:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K998LU2/?tag=verywellfit-onsite-prod-20&ascsubtag=8662763|n67729a069bf8404b91dbc80724b4238904|B01K998LU2

And I have to say, “killing you” could turn out to be more than metaphorical if you’re not careful.

I actually had a trip to the emergency room last summer.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Greenie said:

I don't know what medication you are taking but my friend 65 yrs old was having issues last week with the heat more than normal. It was due to medication he is on and the extreme heat. His blood pressure was dropping very low in the extreme heat. Along with staying hydrated he is drinking a few protein shakes (boost) during his round now. That is supposed to help him with his issue.

I like the Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad cooling towel. When dry it is like a hard piece of leather but when wet it works fantastic. It actually feels like it gets cold to me when adding tap water. It stays cooler longer than my friend's cheap cooler towel.

The Aussie Chiller hat you wear is a good hat to wear in the heat. I have four of them. 

For me it was this. I am on blood pressure meds and I almost past out at a walking only member guest last year. Spoke to my Dr and he said on days when its plus 90 I may want to take my Rx after my round and not in the morning like I usually do.

Now when I play its that plus hydration and electrolytes and some sort of cooling vehicle like a towel when walking and or cooler with ice when in a cart. Also potassium via a banana or 2 and I havent had an issue since fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Sometimes it’s just best to be at the pool.   If you are at the point where you are looking for a complete cooling towel outfit…maybe call it good and stay inside.

• Like 4

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

I am not sure if this has any truth behind it, but I honestly feel hotter when I try and "beat the heat" and play in the morning.  Yea it is OK on the first tee but once the morning sun hits me and the dew on the 5th tee it feels like I am playing in a sauna.  No breeze.  Extra moisture, low sun.  In the later afternoon I feel like the dew is gone, there is "a little" breeze, and it is easier to find shade.

Still hotter than hell, but on the terrace level of hell and not the basement.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, McMunch said:

For me it was this. I am on blood pressure meds and I almost past out at a walking only member guest last year. Spoke to my Dr and he said on days when its plus 90 I may want to take my Rx after my round and not in the morning like I usually do.

Now when I play its that plus hydration and electrolytes and some sort of cooling vehicle like a towel when walking and or cooler with ice when in a cart. Also potassium via a banana or 2 and I havent had an issue since fingers crossed.

That is what my friend is doing now on advice from his doctor. He is also drinking a Boost protein shake. The last thing I would want to drink on a hot day is a milky type drink. I eat protein bars during my round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david.c.w said:

I am not sure if this has any truth behind it, but I honestly feel hotter when I try and "beat the heat" and play in the morning.  Yea it is OK on the first tee but once the morning sun hits me and the dew on the 5th tee it feels like I am playing in a sauna.  No breeze.  Extra moisture, low sun.  In the later afternoon I feel like the dew is gone, there is "a little" breeze, and it is easier to find shade.

Still hotter than hell, but on the terrace level of hell and not the basement.

When I first moved to the south from Michigan, that is what I found too.  The humidity seemed highest morning to mid-morning.  Mid to high 80s with 90+ humidity and no wind was just oppressive. A later tee time with higher actual temperatures but lower heat index seemed more tolerable.  I sweat a lot, and when the humidity is high the sweat has no cooling effect on my body.....

Overall, there are good suggestions in this thread.  One thing I have done in the past, fill a small zip lock bag with ice and place it under your hat with a wet washcloth.  You probably have to remove it to hit a shot, but you can probably putt with it there.   For me, cooling my head has the fastest impact to cooling me down in general....

Edited by Mike_C
  • Like 1

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

37 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

When I first moved to the south from Michigan, that is what I found too.  The humidity seemed highest morning to mid-morning.  Mid to high 80s with 90+ humidity and no wind was just oppressive. A later tee time with higher actual temperatures but lower heat index seemed more tolerable.  I sweat a lot, and when the humidity is high the sweat has no cooling effect on my body.....

Overall, there are good suggestions in this thread.  One thing I have done in the past, fill a small zip lock bag with ice and place it under your hat with a wet washcloth.  You probably have to remove it to hit a shot, but you can probably putt with it there.   For me, cooling my head has the fastest impact to cooling me down in general....

The Aussie Chiller hat works well for this. I soak mine in ice cold water and put it on my head. The hat is designed to be soaked and worn. It doesn't affect your swing at all.

• Like 1

Recently I started using white solar sleeves.  I do think they help keep me cool, which was my number one reason for using them.  I am a transplanted northerner and find the 100+ heat index days to be pretty challenging.   It takes a whole system for me to stay healthy:

minimal warm up session

ice, water, and towel in a cooler, and use it

plenty of ice water and sports drinks

Tilley hat

seek out shade

white shirt

solar sleeves

white shoes 

• Like 4

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I live in Louisiana and its not only hat a s*** but humid.   In the summer months in peak day...you just don't see many people on the course.  They come early or late.

If you are playing in peak heat then you have to be in peak readiness.  Ice is your friend.   Shade is your friend. Like others have mentioned be hydrated before your round begins.

• Like 2

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

All good advice given. Playing in the extreme heat requires preparation and caution.

I use a Dewalt jobsite fan when I work at the course and occasionally take it out when playing. It's not too big and it moves a lot of air. I also have a smaller fan with a clasp that I can attach to the cart head level that makes it a little more bearable on really hot days.

Screenshot2024-06-25at10_35_23AM.png.cba55d297b8b09ccaa414f4dbaadbd9d.pngScreenshot2024-06-25at10_21_35AM.png.1a0ca0015349a4482b465f7ad7e63fb3.png

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

For those of us on blood pressure medications, you might want to actually read the warning information on your meds. Mine are pretty adamant about avoiding hot and humid weather. At 71, I prefer to walk my rounds but I have found that once the heat hits 85 deg, I'm just toast unless I ride - once it hits 90 degrees, I'm on the couch. Agree completely with the various suggestions on clothes, ice, hydration and shade. 

• Like 3

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

My blood pressure was dropping to 100/65 after a round in the heat last year.  My dr told me more electrolytes before and during.  Sometimes I'll skip my dose the night before.  When I was younger, it was never too hot to carry my bag 18 holes. We never even carried water with us. Things are different as I'm older.  

• Like 3

I'm 62 now and on blood pressure meds, low dose, and cholesterol drugs, both because I had a pretty severe heart attack in the fall of 2020 while golfing, they got me to the hospital really fast and I ended up with 3 stents.   My doc said I'm 100% healed, never did have high blood pressure or high cholesterol before or after the heart attack,  but they have kept me on the drugs anyway.... The heat does get me a bit more than it used too, I don't walk playing near as much as I used too and will always ride now when its over 90, but I prefer walking, I feel I concentrate better walking.  But walking 18 in East Texas summers probably is not a good idea most of the time.....

• Like 2

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

7 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I actually had a trip to the emergency room last summer.

I'm sorry to hear that.  

My own bouts of heat stroke have not been that serious, but they have seemingly lowered my tolerance for heat stress.  So this may also be in play for you.  Lots of great advice in this thread re: clothing, hydration (both before and during the activity), sun protection, etc...

It's a concern that's never far from my mind, here on the Gulf Coast.  Along with knowing that, like with hypothermia, hyperthermia sufferers frequently don't realize how much stress they're under.  So be careful and cautious.

• Like 1

It’s kind of funny that a few years ago we were thinking of moving someplace with warmer winters, and now we are looking at places with cooler summers. It’s always been hot in NC in the summer, but it seems like the intensity and duration have increased in the last few years. It used to be thunderstorms were fairly common, and they cooled the day a bit, but it’s been dry in the summers recently.

• Like 1

If possible, being in better shape will get this one done, but it is a slow road.  49M and I can run 3.5 mile loop in 99 or 69 degrees and it is the same now.  It was not this way when I was not exercising every day and just in regular shape.  It is hard to start this in the summer, but it really does help.  When it cools down, do some exercise on your non-golf days that gets your HR up into the 120s, or so.  Make it so where the golf is the off-day.

I started wearing white linen pants and they actually help keep me cool and the sun off my my legs - draw string waist and no belt (belt holds in heat).  Untucked shirt keeps sweat and heat from gathering in the waist.  Athletic T shirt (no collar) like Nike Dri Fit or UA like what football and baseball players train in is the best.  I wear Summer Comfort from Peter Millar if I have to wear a collar.  Visor lets out more heat than a hat.  Straw or other breathable wide brim hats can be good if you need to keep the sun off of you.

Changing out your shoes and socks at the turn can help.  Take your glove off except to hit a shot for 30 seconds.

Grapes, oranges and other juicy fruits can help too - peel some oranges the night before and put them in the fridge for an excellent treat.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 4:10 PM, caniac6 said:

I don’t know if it’s medication I take, my advancing age (70 this summer), increasing heat, or all of the above, but the heat is killing me! I drink about 65 oz. of water/ electrolyte drink per round. I’m riding rather than walking. I have an Aussie Chiller hat, and cooling towels. I recently read about a cooling towel that can be worn while playing, but don’t remember the name. Can you guys help me out?

Easy answer:  stay home in your a/c and stay cool, a few days off won’t hurt your game at this point.  And if you’re feeling it more now than in the past, your body is trying to tell you something…you do well listen to it. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

7 hours ago, stryper said:

Easy answer:  stay home in your a/c and stay cool, a few days off won’t hurt your game at this point.  And if you’re feeling it more now than in the past, your body is trying to tell you something…you do well listen to it. 

That’s pretty much what I am doing. I’m getting out early for some practice, but getting inside during the heat of the day.

Couple of buddies are playing their match play match this afternoon.  They are looking for other people to join so they are not waiting on every shot.  I am probably going to join.  (note:  yes I will stay out of their match, hit last, etc)

Going to be toasty!  My dermatologist is going to kill me.  No I am not going to walk.  

image.png.b5a7725ecb21bd29e99403da123cf8e3.png

• Like 1

My doctor recommended taking the blood pressure medicine at night before bed. After golf I've been as low as 65 over 30.  Almost ER visit low but I knew what was happening and what to do to recover.  Takes awhile to recover after I get home.  I'm only on 5mg but the BP bottoms out after golf or cycling. 

Arm sleeves help a ton.  Ice water to pour on a Mission brand wide brim hat. I always walk and I seek shade down fairways when I can.  I'm in Florida so I limit walking to 9 holes 3 days a week from now until late Sept. Then back to 18 holes 3 days a week.  I spend more time on the range in the summer instead of walking 18.  To beat the humidity I wear rain gloves. 

• Like 2

It may sound extreme, but 65 oz of water may not be enough by a lot.

I’m in NC, and I walk most rounds; I’m 72 with an electric cart.  I wear sun sleeves, a broad brim hat, and synthetic shirts.  

But the key FOR ME is a LOT of water with electrolytes.  I drink 6 swallows on every tee box, even if I don’t feel thirsty, and as needed during the holes.  I use Ultima powder to mix at home, and then carry Nuum tablets for during the round.  (Gatorade and Powerade are high sugar; they make a lot of people feel worse!)

If you do the math and assume that a swallow = an ounce, I’m taking something like double the 65 oz level you’re talking about.  I feel pretty good if I stick to that sort of quantity.