Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

> @MColin28 said:

> > @az2au said:

> > > @MColin28 said:

> > > Hey all - decided on Troon Pinnacle Sunday. Have an option to play Tuesday afternoon. Segura is closed. Where should I go instead? I’d like a really picturesque course that’s in some good shape (along same lines as WKP or TN). Thanks!

> > Probably Quintero if you have time to drive out that. You really gotta work on the spelling of Saguaro though :wink: You do Boulders South as well but I always think that the houses are too close. If you know a PGA Pro or are a member at any private club it would be worth having your pro call Troon CC as well.

> >

>

>

> Wow totally gotta work on the spelling. My bad and no disrespect! Doing it from a phone doesn’t help either. Thanks for the advice!! I won’t have the time to drive, so I’ll loom local. I’ll be in the Tempe area. Cheers

>

From Tempe Raven and Legacy are the usual suspects (or Papago).

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

> @TheShaun said:

> How does booking Boulders work? Can't figure out how to book South vs North

Honestly I’ve never booked it myself. I’ve only played as a guest of a member or had one of the clubs I belong to book it but I bet puttinfor8 has. I don’t know if they still do it but they used to alternate which course allowed public play every day. I’d just call them if you want to book it.

> @MColin28 said:

> > @az2au said:

> > > @MColin28 said:

> > > Hey all - decided on Troon Pinnacle Sunday. Have an option to play Tuesday afternoon. Segura is closed. Where should I go instead? I’d like a really picturesque course that’s in some good shape (along same lines as WKP or TN). Thanks!

> > Probably Quintero if you have time to drive out that. You really gotta work on the spelling of Saguaro though :wink: You do Boulders South as well but I always think that the houses are too close. If you know a PGA Pro or are a member at any private club it would be worth having your pro call Troon CC as well.

> >

>

>

> Wow totally gotta work on the spelling. My bad and no disrespect! Doing it from a phone doesn’t help either. Thanks for the advice!! I won’t have the time to drive, so I’ll loom local. I’ll be in the Tempe area. Cheers

>

If you really want views then probably Gold Canyon-Dinosaur. It is a shoddy joke of a design but it has great views.

> @TheShaun said:

> @TheShaun said:

Don't know a simple way. Used to at least say "North" and "South" but now they call them course 1 (which I think is North) and course 2 (South). They also rotate courses so one course is open to the public and one is private for the members, not sure if that is daily, weekly, or what. If that's not confusing enough, when they are doing course maintenance they will sometimes combine 9 holes from one course with 9 from the other. When you call you may get the central booking agency, not the pro shop, so if you ask them which course is open to the public they don't always know and I've had them contact the course to find out.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

> @cbbaron said:

> > @azgolfer44 said:

> > Public Courses with great views in Phoenix and not relative to quality of course: Quintero, Dino Mtn, Rancho Manana, WKP Saguaro, TN Pinnacle, Johnson Ranch (forgot which 9), Phoenician (not sure since renovation), Lookout Mountain, others?

>

> Throw Eagle Mountain in there

Yep and Legend Trail has better views than the Phoenician and Lookout IMO as well. Johnson Ranch is interesting in that one 9 is (or at least was, haven't played there in around 15 years) very interesting and scenic and the other was about as pedestrian as you can get. I think it is the front 9 now that is the good one. When I used to occasionally play there it was the back 9.

> @az2au said:

> > @Justmuckit said:

> > Need some help from you local guys...

> > I have Wickenburg Ranch booked for 36 holes on August 23. Found out today they are doing a small tine punch on August 5th.

> > How quickly do the greens heal down there? Should I be looking to book elsewhere?

>

> Small tine should be fine in 7 days.

Excellent. Unfortunately just found out that Southern Dunes is punching on the 12th and 13th. Probably cutting it close for our group - I think we'll cancel that reservation.

Probably going to swap it out for Quintero, assuming they aren't undergoing maintenance as well.

> @Justmuckit said:

> > @az2au said:

> > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > Need some help from you local guys...

> > > I have Wickenburg Ranch booked for 36 holes on August 23. Found out today they are doing a small tine punch on August 5th.

> > > How quickly do the greens heal down there? Should I be looking to book elsewhere?

> >

> > Small tine should be fine in 7 days.

>

> Excellent. Unfortunately just found out that Southern Dunes is punching on the 12th and 13th. Probably cutting it close for our group - I think we'll cancel that reservation.

>

> Probably going to swap it out for Quintero, assuming they aren't undergoing maintenance as well.

Usually the maintenance in August takes much less time to heal than June/July maintenance. It is usually either a small punch or deep tine. The Bermuda has also fully grown in by that time. That being said, I wouldn’t expect the greens to recover in less than 14 days.

> @azgolfer44 said:

> > @Justmuckit said:

> > > @az2au said:

> > > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > > Need some help from you local guys...

> > > > I have Wickenburg Ranch booked for 36 holes on August 23. Found out today they are doing a small tine punch on August 5th.

> > > > How quickly do the greens heal down there? Should I be looking to book elsewhere?

> > >

> > > Small tine should be fine in 7 days.

> >

> > Excellent. Unfortunately just found out that Southern Dunes is punching on the 12th and 13th. Probably cutting it close for our group - I think we'll cancel that reservation.

> >

> > Probably going to swap it out for Quintero, assuming they aren't undergoing maintenance as well.

>

>

> Usually the maintenance in August takes much less time to heal than June/July maintenance. It is usually either a small punch or deep tine. The Bermuda has also fully grown in by that time. That being said, I wouldn’t expect the greens to recover in less than 14 days.

>

It's almost three full weeks from the time the small punch at Wickenburg and our tee time. Should be good.

Went ahead and switched our Saturday round to Quintero, the person I spoke with doesn't have anything on the schedule for maintenance in August.

Now i just need to call Saguaro to make sure they aren't doing anything, and we'll be set. Looking forward to it.

**EDIT: Saguaro is closed for maintenance until August 1st, and it looks like they use a larger tine according to their website. Should I be concerned? Playing on August 25th.**

I > @Justmuckit said:

> > @azgolfer44 said:

> > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > > @az2au said:

> > > > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > > > Need some help from you local guys...

> > > > > I have Wickenburg Ranch booked for 36 holes on August 23. Found out today they are doing a small tine punch on August 5th.

> > > > > How quickly do the greens heal down there? Should I be looking to book elsewhere?

> > > >

> > > > Small tine should be fine in 7 days.

> > >

> > > Excellent. Unfortunately just found out that Southern Dunes is punching on the 12th and 13th. Probably cutting it close for our group - I think we'll cancel that reservation.

> > >

> > > Probably going to swap it out for Quintero, assuming they aren't undergoing maintenance as well.

> >

> >

> > Usually the maintenance in August takes much less time to heal than June/July maintenance. It is usually either a small punch or deep tine. The Bermuda has also fully grown in by that time. That being said, I wouldn’t expect the greens to recover in less than 14 days.

> >

>

> It's almost three full weeks from the time the small punch at Wickenburg and our tee time. Should be good.

> Went ahead and switched our Saturday round to Quintero, the person I spoke with doesn't have anything on the schedule for maintenance in August.

> Now i just need to call Saguaro to make sure they aren't doing anything, and we'll be set. Looking forward to it.

>

> **EDIT: Saguaro is closed for maintenance until August 1st, and it looks like they use a larger tine according to their website. Should I be concerned? Playing on August 25th.**

Saguaro should be just fine by the time you arrive but you may want to call a few days out to confirm the conditions. The Bermuda grows fast when it is hot and the course has water rights like WKP.

• Like 1

Small tines are almost imperceptible to me after a week on late summer Bermuda.

Saguaro will likely be immaculate by the 25th.

• Like 1

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @azgolfer44 said:

> I > @Justmuckit said:

> > > @azgolfer44 said:

> > > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > > > @az2au said:

> > > > > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > > > > Need some help from you local guys...

> > > > > > I have Wickenburg Ranch booked for 36 holes on August 23. Found out today they are doing a small tine punch on August 5th.

> > > > > > How quickly do the greens heal down there? Should I be looking to book elsewhere?

> > > > >

> > > > > Small tine should be fine in 7 days.

> > > >

> > > > Excellent. Unfortunately just found out that Southern Dunes is punching on the 12th and 13th. Probably cutting it close for our group - I think we'll cancel that reservation.

> > > >

> > > > Probably going to swap it out for Quintero, assuming they aren't undergoing maintenance as well.

> > >

> > >

> > > Usually the maintenance in August takes much less time to heal than June/July maintenance. It is usually either a small punch or deep tine. The Bermuda has also fully grown in by that time. That being said, I wouldn’t expect the greens to recover in less than 14 days.

> > >

> >

> > It's almost three full weeks from the time the small punch at Wickenburg and our tee time. Should be good.

> > Went ahead and switched our Saturday round to Quintero, the person I spoke with doesn't have anything on the schedule for maintenance in August.

> > Now i just need to call Saguaro to make sure they aren't doing anything, and we'll be set. Looking forward to it.

> >

> > **EDIT: Saguaro is closed for maintenance until August 1st, and it looks like they use a larger tine according to their website. Should I be concerned? Playing on August 25th.**

>

> Saguaro should be just fine by the time you arrive but you may want to call a few days out to confirm the conditions. The Bermuda grows fast when it is hot and the course has water rights like WKP.

The idea of a course being closed for two+ weeks is foreign to me in the midwest. What do they do during this time? Do they punch the entire course?

Well> @Justmuckit said:

> > @azgolfer44 said:

> > I > @Justmuckit said:

> > > > @azgolfer44 said:

> > > > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > > > > @az2au said:

> > > > > > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > > > > > Need some help from you local guys...

> > > > > > > I have Wickenburg Ranch booked for 36 holes on August 23. Found out today they are doing a small tine punch on August 5th.

> > > > > > > How quickly do the greens heal down there? Should I be looking to book elsewhere?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Small tine should be fine in 7 days.

> > > > >

> > > > > Excellent. Unfortunately just found out that Southern Dunes is punching on the 12th and 13th. Probably cutting it close for our group - I think we'll cancel that reservation.

> > > > >

> > > > > Probably going to swap it out for Quintero, assuming they aren't undergoing maintenance as well.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Usually the maintenance in August takes much less time to heal than June/July maintenance. It is usually either a small punch or deep tine. The Bermuda has also fully grown in by that time. That being said, I wouldn’t expect the greens to recover in less than 14 days.

> > > >

> > >

> > > It's almost three full weeks from the time the small punch at Wickenburg and our tee time. Should be good.

> > > Went ahead and switched our Saturday round to Quintero, the person I spoke with doesn't have anything on the schedule for maintenance in August.

> > > Now i just need to call Saguaro to make sure they aren't doing anything, and we'll be set. Looking forward to it.

> > >

> > > **EDIT: Saguaro is closed for maintenance until August 1st, and it looks like they use a larger tine according to their website. Should I be concerned? Playing on August 25th.**

> >

> > Saguaro should be just fine by the time you arrive but you may want to call a few days out to confirm the conditions. The Bermuda grows fast when it is hot and the course has water rights like WKP.

>

> The idea of a course being closed for two+ weeks is foreign to me in the midwest. What do they do during this time? Do they punch the entire course?

I am from the Midwest where my course was closed for 5+ months every year. My understanding is it allows the course to “breathe” for a few weeks, including punching the greens. Courses do not typically punch the fairways or tees since the Bermuda grows so easily in the summer and the rye covers it in the winter. I imagine they do some planned maintenance (bunkers, cart paths, etc.) during this time frame as well. The high end courses like WKP make their money from December through April, so they do everything to make sure the course is pristine during that time frame.

• Like 1

> @fore_life said:

> Red mountain ranch and las Sendas are good if you want to look at the pretty mountains

...while playing subpar courses...

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Southern Dunes is back to playable, greens definitely slow but consistent, grass is smooth, rest of the course just fine. Bunkers in very good shape with good sand.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Red mountain ranch and las Sendas are good if you want to look at the pretty mountains> @DrSchteeve said:

> > @fore_life said:

> > Red mountain ranch and las Sendas are good if you want to look at the pretty mountains

> ...while playing subpar courses...

>

>

My point exactly

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

q5asoga3fu7o.png

(The joke went over my head)

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

> @LJ2106 said:

> Booked Saguaro for 8/7. Playing TPC Stadium on 8/8. Should I reconsider playing Saguaro? Any word on the conditions at TPC? Landing at 8:30am and teeing off at 10:30am is the plan for the Saguaro round on 8/7.

Unless every single thing goes perfect or better than perfect there's a almost no chance of you landing at 8:30am and teeing off at We Ko Pa at 10:30am if you're renting a car. If you're taking an uber, no problem. Otherwise, my best guess is the following (and this is going perfectly). Land at 8:30am, at gate no later than 8:45am. 30-40 min wait for your bags., 10-15 min wait to get the bus to the rental car center, 10-15 min to get to the center, even if you're Preferred or whatever equivalent, another 5-7 to get your car and get out. So, now it is, no earlier than 9:25am. Assuming zero traffic and you drive like me, 35 min to pull up to the bag drop at We Ko Pa. So now, we're at 10:10am. Collect your crap, get inside and pay, another 5-10. I'd call absolute best case scenario of you being on the first tee by 10:25am with no time to warm up. If any single one of those things takes longer than you'll be late.

> @az2au said:

> > @LJ2106 said:

> > Booked Saguaro for 8/7. Playing TPC Stadium on 8/8. Should I reconsider playing Saguaro? Any word on the conditions at TPC? Landing at 8:30am and teeing off at 10:30am is the plan for the Saguaro round on 8/7.

>

> Unless every single thing goes perfect or better than perfect there's a almost no chance of you landing at 8:30am and teeing off at We Ko Pa at 10:30am if you're renting a car. If you're taking an uber, no problem. Otherwise, my best guess is the following (and this is going perfectly). Land at 8:30am, at gate no later than 8:45am. 30-40 min wait for your bags., 10-15 min wait to get the bus to the rental car center, 10-15 min to get to the center, even if you're Preferred or whatever equivalent, another 5-7 to get your car and get out. So, now it is, no earlier than 9:25am. Assuming zero traffic and you drive like me, 35 min to pull up to the bag drop at We Ko Pa. So now, we're at 10:10am. Collect your crap, get inside and pay, another 5-10. I'd call absolute best case scenario of you being on the first tee by 10:25am with no time to warm up. If any single one of those things takes longer than you'll be late.

>

I have most expirience at this as my 45 trips to AZ will attest az2au is right on you land at 830 you will get your bags between 915 -930. 5 minute walk to shuttle 15 or so minutes to get rent a car usually takes about 30-45 to check in and get your car