Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

Verde River is in perfect condition for $25.

> @Devastata said:

> ive got legend trail so will either go with vistancia or eagle mountain

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

> @DrSchteeve said:

> Verde River is in perfect condition for $25.

>

> > @Devastata said:

> > ive got legend trail so will either go with vistancia or eagle mountain

>

>

Verde is not an option: Verde closes on 10/7 and does not reopen until 10/26 - right when their group will be here.

This was in Devastata's original post. #1979

"Hi guys. Im travelling from the UK again to scottsdale in september."

> @puttnforthe8 said:

> > @DrSchteeve said:

> > Verde River is in perfect condition for $25.

> >

> > > @Devastata said:

> > > ive got legend trail so will either go with vistancia or eagle mountain

> >

> >

> Verde is not an option: Verde closes on 10/7 and does not reopen until 10/26 - right when their group will be here.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Heading to Phoenix in early November with my wife and was looking for course suggestions. I was planning on booking We-Ko-Pa (both courses, must-plays each time we go) and Southern Dunes (haven't played in a few years but loved it when we did), but was looking for a couple of more courses for that week. I've tentatively ruled out Troon North (based on expense and feeling too beat up the last time we played but still considering), Grayhawk (seems expensive for a non-top-tier course), Quintero (played it a couple of times and that seems sufficient) and Wickenburg (played once, liked it despite all of the housing construction, but figured if we are taking one long drive to play, I'd prefer Southern Dunes). In addition to these, we have previously played Boulders (same thinking as Grayhawk), Eagle Mountain, SunRidge Canyon (another course that left this 20 handicapper feeling a little beat up). I was looking for some other suggestions for quality courses that are worth playing (Tonto Verde is one that seems to be highly thought of). I realize early Nov isn't the ideal time to play some of the courses, as they may be coming out of overseeding and are CPO but we'll just have to deal with that.

> @ChuckZ1956 said:

> Heading to Phoenix in early November with my wife and was looking for course suggestions. I was planning on booking We-Ko-Pa (both courses, must-plays each time we go) and Southern Dunes (haven't played in a few years but loved it when we did), but was looking for a couple of more courses for that week. I've tentatively ruled out Troon North (based on expense and feeling too beat up the last time we played but still considering), Grayhawk (seems expensive for a non-top-tier course), Quintero (played it a couple of times and that seems sufficient) and Wickenburg (played once, liked it despite all of the housing construction, but figured if we are taking one long drive to play, I'd prefer Southern Dunes). In addition to these, we have previously played Boulders (same thinking as Grayhawk), Eagle Mountain, SunRidge Canyon (another course that left this 20 handicapper feeling a little beat up). I was looking for some other suggestions for quality courses that are worth playing (Tonto Verde is one that seems to be highly thought of). I realize early Nov isn't the ideal time to play some of the courses, as they may be coming out of overseeding and are CPO but we'll just have to deal with that.

Play Verde River (not Tonto Verde), Verrado is an option, Trilogy at Vistancia and maybe Estrella Golf Club

Legend Trail. Verde River (not Tonto Verde).

> @ChuckZ1956 said:

> Heading to Phoenix in early November with my wife and was looking for course suggestions. I was planning on booking We-Ko-Pa (both courses, must-plays each time we go) and Southern Dunes (haven't played in a few years but loved it when we did), but was looking for a couple of more courses for that week. I've tentatively ruled out Troon North (based on expense and feeling too beat up the last time we played but still considering), Grayhawk (seems expensive for a non-top-tier course), Quintero (played it a couple of times and that seems sufficient) and Wickenburg (played once, liked it despite all of the housing construction, but figured if we are taking one long drive to play, I'd prefer Southern Dunes). In addition to these, we have previously played Boulders (same thinking as Grayhawk), Eagle Mountain, SunRidge Canyon (another course that left this 20 handicapper feeling a little beat up). I was looking for some other suggestions for quality courses that are worth playing (Tonto Verde is one that seems to be highly thought of). I realize early Nov isn't the ideal time to play some of the courses, as they may be coming out of overseeding and are CPO but we'll just have to deal with that.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

I have a work trip to Scottsdale at the end of the month (week of Sep 29-Oct 5) and plan on staying on for some golfing. I've noted the Overseed Schedule and looks like I can get on several courses JUST before they close for overseeding. However, I've noticed a few say they will be doing "Overseed Prep" that week I'm in town. Any ideas what that means? Does that effect conditions/play in any way?

Potential for some silty fine grass remnants in the rough areas, but overall I love these conditions. Water has been cut way back and the fairways are usually firm and fast. Expect very brown conditions, as the bermuda grass canopy has been removed, but fast and firm playing surfaces. There are many on these boards that prefer these conditions to any other time of year. If you are into lush green courses then this is not for you. If you like linksy firm fast golf you will most likely not be disappointed.

> @Drew_G said:

> I have a work trip to Scottsdale at the end of the month (week of Sep 29-Oct 5) and plan on staying on for some golfing. I've noted the Overseed Schedule and looks like I can get on several courses JUST before they close for overseeding. However, I've noticed a few say they will be doing "Overseed Prep" that week I'm in town. Any ideas what that means? Does that effect conditions/play in any way?

The courses generally stop watering tees and fairways, and start verticutting and "scalping" the fairways by greatly reducing the cutting height. It leads to firm and fast conditions but can be hard to get an iron/wedge under the ball from the fairway in my opinion. Different courses may have different variations on their overseed prep practices but this has generally been my experience on the mid level and value level courses in the area.

Most courses within two weeks of overseed will not be in "green" condition, regardless of if they are listed as overseed prep or not. Not all, but most will be brownish.

" It leads to firm and fast conditions but can be hard to get an iron/wedge under the ball from the fairway in my opinion."

Just like links courses (which many do not prefer)

Took some pictures this morning, my spot is currently scalping and preparing to overseed, they close this Sunday(back 9 was 186iv1ymmlm5.jpeg

rpcf56etabxb.jpeg

s closed today.) personally my favorite conditions all year.

• Like 1

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Was in PHX/Scottsdale area last week from Mon-Thurs for a conference and played Saguaro at We-Ko-Pa, North (now called “O’odham”) Course at Talking Stick, and Stadium Course at TPC Scottsdale. NOTE: I was comped at We Ko Pa, paid $30 for my round at Talking Stick, and $90 for Stadium Course.

I was really excited for Saguaro as my only other Coore & Crenshaw experience was Dormie Club a couple years ago. Beautiful and scenic but I didn’t feel like it was that memorable. It looked like they were letting the greens grow a bit, but I’m chalking my so-so review up to my early morning plane flight.

The North/O’odham Course at Talking Stick was a blast. At $30 I was still one of only a couple people on the course (temp still in the high 90s mid-day). Wide fairways and greens, I played from the tips (little over 7k) and still shot well, as you can basically just bomb your way around. A really good warmup course for a buddies golf trip in the area.

The most expensive of my trip, the Stadium Course at TPC Scottsdale for $90 was an absolute steal. If I could play on those greens everyday I would be a happy man, super pure and great speed. I’ve played TPC Potomac out here (full private) and the service and practice facilities are always top notch; TPC Scottsdale was similar though not as big of a practice area. Course was still in great shape for being end of summer. The front 9 is the side most people don’t think of but it’s a great warmup (and a bit tighter) than the more famous back 9. Granted I didn’t get to play with the bleachers up (they were just starting construction), it was still a blast. Course feels longer than what you would think as the Blues from 6,600 still had a solid number of longer par 4s but super enjoyable nonetheless.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

• 1 month later...

Hoping to get some feedback from this group.

I'll be traveling out to the area for the Phoenix Open (bachelor party trip) and he's hoping to play golf. As I'm doing some research, I'm finding that a) the rates are going to be close to peak season b) club rentals are going to be tough along with expensive.

Do you all have some recommendations on some courses that might not destroy the bank (golf + rentals hopefully <$150)? I appreciate it! Looking forward to my first trip out there! Hopefully I can plan a real trip soon with my own clubs.

Pretty tough to find a decent course under $150 with club rentals anywhere near Scottsdale during WM Open Weekend. That is the most expensive week of the year, by far. Courses that otherwise charge $79 are $129 and up, plus rental clubs (Papago is $175 right now plus $60 for rental clubs). If it were me, I would skip playing golf while you are here, and come back another time when you can play betters courses for your money. There are plenty of other things to do that week.

If you really want to play golf, check out the City of Phoenix Courses (Grand Canyon, Aguila, Encanto or Cave Creek), which don't jack up the rates, but they are a hike from Scottsdale and not tourist golf courses. I am not sure about their rental club situation. Maybe the Par 3 at Mountain Shadows or the courses near South Mountain like Raven or Legacy? If you don't care about conditions or quality of course, you could try Starfire or Silverado, but I doubt anyone would endorse those courses on this board.

> @cbbaron said:

> > @farmer said:

> > OT, but DO NOT stay at the Hotel Clarendon.

> Out of curiosity why not?

>

It's an old dump of a hotel that has been half arsed renovated. It's in an industrial area downtown with nothing around, overpriced, they nickel and dime you to death, there is literally nothing to recommend. I had to stay there because of wedding obligations. The only positive was that it was only 90* when the rooftop wedding started. My first time to Phoenix, so I don't know any nice places, but the Clarendon is not one of them.

> > @cbbaron said:

> > > @farmer said:

> > > OT, but DO NOT stay at the Hotel Clarendon.

> > Out of curiosity why not?

> >

>

> It's an old dump of a hotel that has been half arsed renovated. It's in an industrial area downtown with nothing around, overpriced, they nickel and dime you to death, there is literally nothing to recommend. I had to stay there because of wedding obligations. The only positive was that it was only 90* when the rooftop wedding started. My first time to Phoenix, so I don't know any nice places, but the Clarendon is not one of them.

Hotel Clarendon is not in an industrial area of town. It is actually in one of the most desirable places to live in Phoenix, near Central Ave and Osborn Rd. Sure, it is not the Phoenician, Sanctuary or Four Seasons Troon North, but there is plenty to do. Without even thinking about it, there are a bunch of cool restaurants nearby (Ocotillo, Southern Rail, St. Francis), fun bars, and other local shops. In my opinion, way better than going to Old Town Scottsdale or Mill Avenue.

It is not close to Scottsdale or TPC Scottsdale, and I wouldn't recommend staying there if you plan to go out that way, but certainly not a "dump of a hotel." My family has stayed there at least once and enjoyed it.

• Like 2

> @farmer said:

> > @cbbaron said:

> > > @farmer said:

> > > OT, but DO NOT stay at the Hotel Clarendon.

> > Out of curiosity why not?

> >

>

> It's an old dump of a hotel that has been half arsed renovated. It's in an industrial area downtown with nothing around, overpriced, they nickel and dime you to death, there is literally nothing to recommend. I had to stay there because of wedding obligations. The only positive was that it was only 90* when the rooftop wedding started. My first time to Phoenix, so I don't know any nice places, but the Clarendon is not one of them.

I haven't stayed at the Clarendon... But I live in the historic districts right around the corner from it... If you think this is an industrial area you are very confused. The central corridor has tons of nice restaurants, super easy access to all of downtown, etc. Granted it is not near any golf, but this part of town is one of the most desirable areas to live currently for a reason.

That being said golf during the open isn't "close to peak season rates" it IS the peak of rates... And availability is very scarce. Unless I had money falling out of my wallet I would skip golf that week personally. If I did really want to play that week and was staying in that part of town it is 25 minutes to Aguilar which will be in great shape and a great $value.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @capking said:

> They play practice rounds on that Tuesday so I’m not sure if that’s even valid. I’m more worried on the weekend before, worst case we’ll play some cheaper muni courses and only a couple nice ones.

He just showed you the week prior to the tournament...the tournament practice round Tuesday is the 28th.

WITB:

> @Rohlio said:

> > @capking said:

> > They play practice rounds on that Tuesday so I’m not sure if that’s even valid. I’m more worried on the weekend before, worst case we’ll play some cheaper muni courses and only a couple nice ones.

>

> He just showed you the week prior to the tournament...the tournament practice round Tuesday is the 28th.

Ya sorry my bad, I jumped in without reading too far back and thought you guys were talking about most phx courses in general

> @capking said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > > @capking said:

> > > They play practice rounds on that Tuesday so I’m not sure if that’s even valid. I’m more worried on the weekend before, worst case we’ll play some cheaper muni courses and only a couple nice ones.

> >

> > He just showed you the week prior to the tournament...the tournament practice round Tuesday is the 28th.

>

> Ya sorry my bad, I jumped in without reading too far back and thought you guys were talking about most phx courses in general

We kind of are...the week of and those surrounding the Phoenix Open is the most expensive time of year to travel to the valley and by far the highest rates on golf.

WITB: