Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

> @az2au said:

> > @Shipwreck said:

> > > @az2au said:

> > > > @Shipwreck said:

> > > > Can anyone give any info on AZ Biltmore?

> > > Absolutely terrible ok every single way golf wise. I mean, legitimately terrible. An embarrassment to the area.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The wife and I are going to be staying in that general area over Father’s Day weekend. I’m looking for a course near Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak. Any suggestions.

>

> Camelback Ambiente isn’t too far. There’s not much golf wise in the immediate area. Wildfire is also relatively close.

>

Grayhawk about another 10 minutes from Wildfire and while not in caliber of Grayhawk and Wildfire Kierland is much better than Biltmore

\\\\\\\\\\

> @az2au said:

> > @Shipwreck said:

> > Can anyone give any info on AZ Biltmore?

> Absolutely terrible ok every single way golf wise. I mean, legitimately terrible. An embarrassment to the area.

>

>

The only redeeming features of Biltmore are it is in good condition and it is short and easy for recreational golfers. That is it. My office is on the edge of hole 13 so I see it every single day.... And I haven't played it in years

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Kuhndogg8 said:

> Stonecreek not too far from there either, but the chances of you getting out of there in under 5.5 hours is nil.

Talk about a goat track.

WITB:

So trying to plan a 5 round trip in early June. Thurs - Mon. Flight arrives on Thurs around 11:30am. I've done this before and easily made a tee time at Ambiente for 1:40. I'll play early on Monday to make my 4:50pm departure. This year, I'm targeting Papago for the arrival round. I'll leave this open and unbooked until I'm actually sitting in my rental car in case of delays etc. I'm trying to keep my golf within 30 min of Old Town. I've played many of the regular courses and not opposed to replaying them. I'll likely be back later in the year for a longer stint and won't mind driving further out at that time.

Here is the current line up:

Thursday - Papago (can be swayed)

Friday - Wekopa (either)

Saturday - Open

Sunday - Wekopa (whichever wasn't played Friday)

Monday - TPC Champions (never played)

The only non-negotiable are 36 at Wekopa. I'd like to get back to Grayhawk but their prices do not justify playing there. I played and enjoyed Eagle Mountain last year and would gladly play again.

> @TheShaun said:

> > @cbbaron said:

> > > @DrSchteeve said:

> > > Grayhawk isn’t better than WeKoPa. Period.

> >

> > Raptor is better than Cholla

>

> those are fighting words. both wekopa > both greyhawk

Cholla is a repetitive mess

> @cbbaron said:

> > @TheShaun said:

> > > @cbbaron said:

> > > > @DrSchteeve said:

> > > > Grayhawk isn’t better than WeKoPa. Period.

> > >

> > > Raptor is better than Cholla

> >

> > those are fighting words. both wekopa > both greyhawk

>

> 1 Saguaro

> 2 Raptor

> 3 Talon

> 4 Cholla

Yep and there’s a pretty big drop from Raptor to Talon and an even bigger drop from Talon to Cholla.

> @TheShaun said:

> This year, I'm targeting Papago for the arrival round. I'll leave this open and unbooked until I'm actually sitting in my rental car in case of delays etc.

I would have a backup course for Papago in mind in case you can't get a tee time at the last minute. It may just be me, but it seems like on a lot of days so far in 2019 when I've tried to play they have either had several hours worth of tee times (or the whole day until like 4pm) completely blocked off for events, or just booked up in general. More so than any other course I attempt to play. Your chances are probably better in June, but this winter/spring it has been tough on a lot of days there.

Edit - maybe just check the Papago tee sheet online a few days before the trip to make sure it's not completely blocked off or full that afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Phx is interesting because you have great courses that are within 15-30 minutes of Phx/Scottsdale then you have some Gems that are a hike but worth it. Greyhawk (both are great options, If people were allowed to play back nine of both Talon and Raptor it would probably be close to best in state public) Troon North ( They redid the greens on monument and it is spectacular) , Wekopa, TPC, Camelback Ambiente, Papago (sugar-loaf project and ASU bought it for the home course), Raven ( Solid course), Talkingstick (south I prefer, Good course to just play with a group and have some brews) whirlwind and wildfire. If you wanted to make the trek here are three must plays in AZ for public: Southern Dunes, Quintero, Wickenburg Ranch

Rogue ST Triple D 11.5 RDX SMOKE BLACK 70 X 45.25

Mavrik SubZero 16.5 Adila Tour White 80x 42.25

19* Zu85 Modus 105X

TCB RAW 4-AW Modus 120 X

56*14 RTX 6 Raw Modus 125W

60*8 RTX 6 Raw Tour ISSUE S400

1980 Ping Anser

Ball: Chrome Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Coming out to Scottsdale in late August for a Ryder Cup weekend. Staying in Paradise Valley. Need three courses - playing 36/36/18.

Finding differences in opinion between WRX and GolfAdvisor on course ratings and conditions.

Looking at Wekopa Sagauaro, Southern Dunes, Quintero, Wickenburg. Thoughts on those four, and any others I've missed?

> @Justmuckit said:

> Coming out to Scottsdale in late August for a Ryder Cup weekend. Staying in Paradise Valley. Need three courses - playing 36/36/18.

>

> Finding differences in opinion between WRX and GolfAdvisor on course ratings and conditions.

>

> Looking at Wekopa Sagauaro, Southern Dunes, Quintero, Wickenburg. Thoughts on those four, and any others I've missed?

>

>

That is a very solid collection of courses. Although I don't love Quintero as a golf course a lt of visitors (and locals) love it for the views. I think you should play it if it is on a one time trip. It is always in great shape.

Southern Dunes is my favorite golf course in the state, but they have had a very rough transition to summer on their greens this year. The rest of the course is in great shape but the greens are thin, bumpy and burned completely in some spots (or they were as of the 2nd of July). I will be down there Sunday and will report back on current conditions.

• Like 1

WITB:

> @Justmuckit said:

> Coming out to Scottsdale in late August for a Ryder Cup weekend. Staying in Paradise Valley. Need three courses - playing 36/36/18.

>

> Finding differences in opinion between WRX and GolfAdvisor on course ratings and conditions.

>

> Looking at Wekopa Sagauaro, Southern Dunes, Quintero, Wickenburg. Thoughts on those four, and any others I've missed?

>

>

Update on Southern Dunes from today... After 3 weeks in a row of intensive green maintenance it looks like they have turned the corner this week... They should be perfect in 1-2 weeks. Still shaggy with lots of new growth today, but getting close. From today:

kk3lpfwpu0fd.jpg

• Like 1

WITB:

> @Rohlio said:

> > @Justmuckit said:

> > Coming out to Scottsdale in late August for a Ryder Cup weekend. Staying in Paradise Valley. Need three courses - playing 36/36/18.

> >

> > Finding differences in opinion between WRX and GolfAdvisor on course ratings and conditions.

> >

> > Looking at Wekopa Sagauaro, Southern Dunes, Quintero, Wickenburg. Thoughts on those four, and any others I've missed?

> >

> >

>

> Update on Southern Dunes from today... After 3 weeks in a row of intensive green maintenance it looks like they have turned the corner this week... They should be perfect in 1-2 weeks. Still shaggy with lots of new growth today, but getting close. From today:

>

> kk3lpfwpu0fd.jpg

>

Thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

Hi all!

Coming into PHX this Sunday for work. I land at 1030am. Plan to play as much as I can Sunday. What would you all suggest? I plan to get into rental car and roll. Right now, I have a time at TN Pinnacle for 115; played Monument last April and LOVED it. That said, should I look to do 36 at We Ko Pa instead? I love the desert courses for the crazy surroundings...I hear the Segura course is tees next to greens; which to me, is kind of a bummer. Open to any/all suggestions. Thank you all.

> @MColin28 said:

> Hi all!

>

> Coming into PHX this Sunday for work. I land at 1030am. Plan to play as much as I can Sunday. What would you all suggest? I plan to get into rental car and roll. Right now, I have a time at TN Pinnacle for 115; played Monument last April and LOVED it. That said, should I look to do 36 at We Ko Pa instead? I love the desert courses for the crazy surroundings...I hear the Segura course is tees next to greens; which to me, is kind of a bummer. Open to any/all suggestions. Thank you all.

Saguaro is the best public course in the state to me and it really isn't all that close. It is walkable due to the routing (I've never actually taken a cart on it) but the views are also amazing. If you're playing 36 and want to try something new then that's your best bet although Cholla is a bit repetitive and the design is not in the same class as Saguaro. Pinnacle is right there for the second best public course in the state with Southern Dunes IMO (others will likely disagree). There's a 6 hole stretch on Monument that might be my favorite in the state though.

Playing 36 starting at 10:30 am.... Start hydrating now. Best of luck. You won't go wrong with any of the courses you mentioned... Realistically though if you land at 10:30 you won't have your clubs and rental car til 11:15 at the earliest that gets you to wekopa at noon eat lunch and on the course by 1... 36 is doable but man is it hot during that time of day. If you go there... Just play Saguaro twice.

WITB:

I think Saguaro will be closed for maintenance. It may be tough to get 36 at Cholla teeing off that late. You may have to go to a lower tier course if you are all about quantity of holes v. quality of course.

It will be very hot. I love golf and walk almost all summer in the heat but there is little chance I could finish 36 even if I rode a cart starting that late In the day. You may be able to do it but it will take a lot of effort and even more water and sunscreen.

I have made 40 trips or more to the valley usually land at 915 or 1015 as my flight leaves Boston 6am and depending the 2 or 3 hour difference and I play many 36 hole days but never on the day I arrive there . If you land at 1030 prolly get you luggage by 1115 slog over to rent a car shuttle where depending how long line might get out of there by noon.

> @Justmuckit said:

>

>

>

>

Thanks to Rohlio's report, we're doing 36 at Wickenburg, 18 at Southern Dunes and 36 at Saguaro.

• Like 1

> @MColin28 said:

> Hey all - decided on Troon Pinnacle Sunday. Have an option to play Tuesday afternoon. Segura is closed. Where should I go instead? I’d like a really picturesque course that’s in some good shape (along same lines as WKP or TN). Thanks!

Probably Quintero if you have time to drive out that. You really gotta work on the spelling of Saguaro though :wink: You do Boulders South as well but I always think that the houses are too close. If you know a PGA Pro or are a member at any private club it would be worth having your pro call Troon CC as well.

> @az2au said:

> > @MColin28 said:

> > Hey all - decided on Troon Pinnacle Sunday. Have an option to play Tuesday afternoon. Segura is closed. Where should I go instead? I’d like a really picturesque course that’s in some good shape (along same lines as WKP or TN). Thanks!

> Probably Quintero if you have time to drive out that. You really gotta work on the spelling of Saguaro though :wink: You do Boulders South as well but I always think that the houses are too close. If you know a PGA Pro or are a member at any private club it would be worth having your pro call Troon CC as well.

>

Wow totally gotta work on the spelling. My bad and no disrespect! Doing it from a phone doesn’t help either. Thanks for the advice!! I won’t have the time to drive, so I’ll loom local. I’ll be in the Tempe area. Cheers