biggest OEM golf club "flops"

Dill Pickleson

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chippers are meant to replace harder-to-hit lob wedges.

I'm not sure that's right.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

i get it. you like your set up. every club has a purpose and you can't think of what to get rid of. you can get on a variety of ways from the bump and run with the 7-i to the masterful flop with an opened up lob wedge. heck, you can even use the toe of the putter when called for.

i am talking about the average golfer who gets greenside and either starts with their military golf routine or struggles just to get on and hopefully 2 putt for the bogey. the chipper can save them significant strokes. isn't that what it's about? what do they need four wedges for, especially that lob wedge?

I don't carry one, but can't stand the condecension.

i get it. you like your set up. every club has a purpose and you can't think of what to get rid of. you can get on a variety of ways from the bump and run with the 7-i to the masterful flop with an opened up lob wedge. heck, you can even use the toe of the putter when called for.

i am talking about the average golfer who gets greenside and either starts with their military golf routine or struggles just to get on and hopefully 2 putt for the bogey. the chipper can save them significant strokes. isn't that what it's about? what do they need four wedges for, especially that lob wedge?

Chippers are meant to replace harder-to-hit lob wedges.

by that, i meant most people would do well not to chip with their lob wedges. I've seen this silliness plenty in people who have no business carrying a lob wedge.

Hey man, you have to use whatever works for you. It's all about what gets it in the hole the quickest! One trick I have found as well, I don't know if you have tried it, the hybrid makes a great chipper! It makes the ball glide just on top of short grass, and you can't stub it like a wedge. If your buds are giving you a hard time because of the chipper, learn to chip with your hybrid. You could throw a lobber in your bag just for looks. :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Regardless of the whys and wherefors of chippers and attitudes towards them, my answer was simply a disagreement over your sentiment that a chipper is designed to replace a lob wedge.

I don't think it is; the two are entirely dissimilar in both design and purpose and there is no way that the average 30-odd degree chipper can be employed in the manner of a lob wedge - nor to replicate many of the shots that you can hit with a very lofted wedge.

My understanding is that it effectively makes an easy-to-play and hard-to-mishit replacement for something like a 7 iron and allows a golfer who struggles with the conventional chip and run to hedge their bets a bit. The blunted leading edge and wider sole reduce the likelihood of a duff, and the shorter shaft and upright lie angle allow the golfer to employ what essentially amounts to a putting stroke and yet still produce a running chip when the situation demands.

I always advocate that a person should play whatever works for them, regardless of whether it's the latest and greatest or whether it's a bit eccentric in its design. I wouldn't play a chipper myself, but that's as much to do with my existing short game abilities with my current set-up as it is with any embarassment I might feel at pulling one out of the bag.

That said, a bog-standard chip and run with a medium or short iron isn't that hard to master and I would always advise someone to practice until they can achieve a measure of consistency with the regular method before resorting to a chipper. Constructive practice is never wasted and negating the fallback option of a chipper frees up another spot in the bag for another useful club - importantly, one that isn't duplicating another club that's already in there as a chipper is doing in the case of a 7 or 8 iron. If a person genuinely sees a benefit from carrying one, despite my above missives, then they should carry the club that allows them to score better.

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Hybrids are meant to replace harder-to-hit long irons. What are chippers meant to replace?

Putting a chipper in your bag means you have to take something else out. If this doesn't create a gap in distances, then go for it if you can't learn to chip with any of the other clubs in the bag, most of which are perfectly suited to chipping as designed. To each his own. But most people aren't going to sacrifice a wedge or a wood or even a long iron/hybrid for a club that does ONE thing that can already be done by several other clubs if you practice, as you would any other shot.

I'm kinda confused why this is even in this thread. If you could start a company that made chippers, and it sold a bunch of chippers, I'd recommend you do that. Profit is nice.

Fair comment.

I offer any products from either Fila or Nicklaus Golf by way of recompense. And the Titleist 775.CB. I've never even seen a set of the latter in play. Ever.

I carried a Browning for a while and it was pretty good.

It was a 9mm Hipower though - not one of their abysmal golf clubs.

It's a mystery why those Black Cat irons sank without trace. They were essentially an arty farty, smarter turned-out version of the preceding Parallax irons; which sold pretty well as I recall. As you say though, they were the beginning of the end as far as Lynx were concerned and no doubt slung a fair bit of Freddie's cash onto the proverbial fire back.

My dad had a set of Browning 440's. He still has the 6-iron, but the rest of the set was in his car when it got stolen in the mid-90's. Not the most conventional design. It looked like a regular iron with the top half cut off. To their credit, they used to go a long way. And the design had some attributes found in today's clubs. The sole was wide and the center of gravity was low.

I don't know why the Black Cat's did not do well. My uncle bought a set of them the day I got my Zing 2's. I actually liked them. The elastomer insert in the cavity gave a soft feel. I had the driver and it made a funny sound. My cousin still has it in his bag. I took a shot with it this past fall and hit one crazy duck hook.

I don't think the chipper in general was a flop. That Odyssey putting wedge sold quite well last year. I remember only ordering one because I thought it was a risk. It was sold before it even came in.

People are condescending about chippers because they're like training wheels, and the answer is PRACTICE.

Higher handicappers need more practice in most phases of their games, and chipping should be one of those phases. A dedicated club for chipping is a band-aid. The kind of shot played best with a chipper is not difficult with other clubs in the bag. It just takes knowledge of lies, what you're trying to do, and practice.

But most golfers out there are looking for short-cuts anyway, so let them have their chippers, and let them waste more money every year on equipment that's supposed to replace skill, but doesn't. They probably don't have the separation from club to club to notice a distance gap at any appreciable point in the set anyway.

Whatever floats the proverbial boat.

I'm kinda confused why this is even in this thread. If you could start a company that made chippers, and it sold a bunch of chippers, I'd recommend you do that. Profit is nice.

What's to be confused about? People were talking about dud clubs, and the chipper debate started. FYI, chippers are dog sellers. Ask Callaway about their profits on their recent chippers. Bet it's not good news. In fact, I bet there's not a lot of money in chippers PERIOD, and I think that was the point of them being mentioned in the first place, right?

/back to the topic, which apparently was criticizing anything BUT chippers... :fool:

i feel like the taylormade tour burner was a flop. not the tp model but the normal.

i work at a local golf shop and the 07 burner was much better.

better ball speed, dispersion, everything.

the tb was a step back in my opinion even though so many people still play it...

just my 2 cents

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* | Aldila 2KXV Blue 60-S
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 18* | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70 Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid ‘19 20* | Project X Even Flow Blue 85 Stiff
Callaway Apex ‘19 4-Iron | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway Apex Pro ‘19 5-9 | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Callaway MackDaddy 4 Chrome 48*, 54*, 60* | True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff
Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab Indianapolis | 33.75"
Callaway ChromeSoft X “MURPH”

Callaway X460 and Hyper X

A ton of people bought the x460, the Hyper X didnt sell as well as planned but it still did sell decently. I wouldnt group any of those drivers in the same category as the C4 or the Grip less driver.

To be honest, I've never seen either one in anyone's bag. CH3 used one I believe but now he's with Bridgestone.

Futura putter

All Nike clubs..... their balls are good.

The graphite tipped steel shafts in Adams irons.

Goldwin GOLF.

The Callaway C4 #1 flop fore sure!

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

Callaway shoes do suck like all the previous posts have stated.

Foot Joy or forget it!

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

Mizuno Mills putters

Firesole Irons

The C4 obviously

Wilson FYbrid

TM r7 CGB Max

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

MAC Powersphere clubs (Woods and wedges) by Burrows Golf. Signed Thomas Bjorn on as a player.

I don't think they lasted very long as the company went under pretty fast.

lol yeah, and bruce litski (sp?) was their man for wedges.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Goldwin GOLF.

I was trying to think of their name. There was a great deal of marketing behind them. I think Nick Price was playing them.

Anyone remember Javelin Blue? Are they still around?

What about the companies that once dominated that seem to have dropped off the radar or into the low-priced market?

Top-Flite

Ram

Slazenger

Tommy Armour

Lynx

Snake Eyes - they didn't dominate, but the Smith and Wesson blades were nice

Wilson - making a comeback

MacGregor

Snake Eyes actually has really great component stuff and their forged players heads are quite good. The used market and OEM advertising kills the component market though. It's tough for a lot of people to fork out $400-500 for a set of "no name" clubs even if they're technically better than most comparable big name sets.

Adams drivers are always flops. They've made the big push into LDA now, but while they get good reviews, nobody buys their drivers until they hit the $150-199 price point. Maybe it's the fact that you can buy their low end stuff in Walmart so the name doesn't carry over to the pro line stores.

Callaway I-trax putters failed pretty bad too. The bobby grace macgregors didn't fare too well either. I think Furyk used one for a while. Mizuno drivers/fairway woods always fail compared to their irons.