2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wood Brothers Texan

Here's a bit about Dick Meckley (from Dave Wood) as well as one of the DM19s that I had. It was a great club. Unfortunately the specs weren't for me.

The sweepbacks are quite interesting... Made very few. The DM19 on your driver, stands for Dick Meckley born 1919. Dick was an old pro and PGA Tour rep. He was a good friend of Ben Hogan's and represented the Hogan company in the late 70s' and early 80s'. After leaving Hogan, he joined Roger Cleveland in the early 80s' when Roger was promoting his Cleveland Classics on the Tour. Dick joined me in 1988 and worked on the Tour for WB until 1994. He wanted some Drivers made up with a simple "Sweep back" style plate (DM19 was a tribute to him). Dick was a straight forward, old school Pennsylvania dutchman, child of the Great Depression and WW2 vet who fought against the Japanese in the Pacific theater. He was an Icon on the Tour. Although he worked for me, he seemed to boss me around quite a bit. Mr. Meckley was a life coach and father figure to many of the players.

Your DM19 has 11" h X 7"v roll. 7 " vertical is a lot. This means the loft above the center of the face is about 10.5 and around 7.5 below center. Really skilled ball strikers did this sometimes. They could hit high launch drives by catching the ball higher on the face. Then hit burner drives when striking it below center. The FMC 6.7 composite is a tapered shaft that appears to be factory installed. We used a resin/epoxy that was very similar to the shaft resin that caused for an extremely tight bond. The FMC 6.7 composite shaft is tapered to emulate tapered steel shaft's that players preferred when the club was built.

A bit like this one: p1050510.jpg

WITB

Driver: Various
3 Wood: Various
2-PW: Traditional Golf TR1 S300
Wedges: Miura New Wedge Series 53 & 57
Putter: Miura KM-350

Classic set:
WB Texan 10 Deg Driver
WB 3 wood
1959 Wilson Dynapower Staff Model 1 to SW

Hey there, love those Texans! I’m fairly new to GolfWRX so I don’t have enough posts to be able to sell on the BST. WITH THAT IN MIND, I figured I’d let you guys know about the beautiful Texan that I have listed on that Giant auction site. I’ll attach a link plus a few pics to whet the appetite.

• 2 weeks later...

I was sort of stalking this on a Japanese auction site recently. Someone else took the plunge before me. It appears to be signed "Dave" in a silver sharpie. What put me off was the weird paint: I couldn't make up my mind whether it was really cool or really naff.

I suspect there is a story behind this club that could make it quite valuable, but I'm no WB expert so I held off bidding.

Does anyone have any idea whether this is an older model or not?

Screenshots:

I was sort of stalking this on a Japanese auction site recently. Someone else took the plunge before me. It appears to be signed "Dave" in a silver sharpie. What put me off was the weird paint: I couldn't make up my mind whether it was really cool or really naff.

I suspect there is a story behind this club that could make it quite valuable, but I'm no WB expert so I held off bidding.

Does anyone have any idea whether this is an older model or not?

Screenshots:

That paint job is quite weird!

It looks like chocolate syrup got spilled on the top of the clubhead and dripped down the sides.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Kinda reminds me of the markings on a Giraffe. Makes me think that this club may well have been made for a South African player. It's definitely unique!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

No Catchy Nickname-

Interesting that the club doesn't have the Oil Derrick or Wood Bros signature, but does have the winged WB.

All 3 of these logos were reserved by Dave when he sold the company.

Dave sometimes left off stampings at a customer's request, on custom orders.

Later Texans made by Charlie Wood also don't have those logos.(Canadian Crippler has a Texan with no standard stampings other than a Texas Golf Co sole plate - I always thought it might be a Charlie Wood creation). Charlie's clubs were made from the remaining Wood Bros, Texan stock materials, and are quite rare.

Same insert as club above-

Another Charlie Wood driver - again different stampings, and a different insert.

Charlie Wood 3-wood

Note the W/B/W insert and another/different WB logo than on Dave Wood era clubs.

This 3 wood design appears in Charlie Wood sales brochures describing post-Dave Wood designs.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 2 weeks later...

No Catchy Name, et all,

Here is what Dave Wood said about this unique club:

Fred,

Great to see again. This is one of about forty unique (Art Club) Drivers I made for a Japanese art exhibition in 1992.

A selection of them were exhibited at the ICA-Nagoya (Institute of Contemporary Art)

After the exhibition closed, they were sold in select art galleries in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka (big bucks). Afterward, I received commissions for several others including this one for Hawaiian Governor John Waihee. Also made a few for PGA Tour players. Mike Standley had his in play when he beat Norman at New Orleans in 1993. Also made a very detailed "Last Supper" for Bernhard Langer as a gift for his 1993 Masters win.

Dave

No Catchy Name, et all,

Here is what Dave Wood said about this unique club:

Fred,

Great to see again. This is one of about forty unique (Art Club) Drivers I made for a Japanese art exhibition in 1992.

A selection of them were exhibited at the ICA-Nagoya (Institute of Contemporary Art)

After the exhibition closed, they were sold in select art galleries in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka (big bucks). Afterward, I received commissions for several others including this one for Hawaiian Governor John Waihee. Also made a few for PGA Tour players. Mike Standley had his in play when he beat Norman at New Orleans in 1993. Also made a very detailed "Last Supper" for Bernhard Langer as a gift for his 1993 Masters win.

Dave

Thanks for posting that. So I did miss out on a special one. I even thought it was something unique, as I was pretty sure that was Dave Wood's signature in silver sharpie on the hosel.

Interesting that they were sold in Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya: the seller was in Aichi Prefecture, which is where Nagoya is. He might be the original owner, or child of the original owner. More likely the latter, as I don't think he (or she) knew what he had because the Texan was on offer for about $220-$230, and he had a standard All-American up for sale with a starting bid of about $360 (later changed to a buy-it-now price of about $450).

The shaft (DGS200) on the Texan was pretty rusty, whereas the All-American had a graphite shaft; I suspect that was why the price was different.

Interesting stuff. As an aside, the seller seems to sell only golf clubs and bedding!

• 3 weeks later...

The driver is kind of cool due to its having a loft of 11 degrees. I have an 11 degree driver in my collection but have not seen any others. This one looks more traditional in its shape and insert positioning in comparison to mine that is quite shallow with the insert being moved closer to the heal of the club. Likely mine was built as a custom for someone looking to see more of a high fade in the ball flight..

CC

Nick Faldo liked a pic of some of my nicer Texans I sent him enough to call them "perfect ten". He obviously has excellent taste in classic clubs . Little did he know there is a chance he might have seen one of these up close before in competition years ago... A couple on the right got cut off on my screen shot, there are 10 clubs in the original pic.