Paint fill 101

HuckleBogey_Finn

Does anybody know if this qualifies as tal strip? I'm using it on my Miuras and its working but deff not as easily as I assumed it would..

http://www.kleanstri...t-paint-remover

This is what I've been using and it's great:

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

What would be the most durable paint available? I've used spray and Tamiya acrylic paints, but they don't seem too durable, especially when used on irons.

Has anyone used POR-15 which is probably the most durable rust preventive paint available in the market.

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

Hi, I've paint filled my Scotty with nail polish and it looks pretty good, I've ordered some Tamiya paint to try that too, some of you guys with lots of experience could you tell me if I need to put some kind of clear finish over the nail polish or the paint (when done) to protect it or is it generally durable enough.

Many thanks for any info.

Woody

Here's a new project. It's not as clean as some of my others, but I thought I'd share anyhow.

I'd be interested also if anyone has a thought on a chip seal - the nail polish chip seal I tried thinned the paint.

I rotated these... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

matchavez,

I use Tamiya for all of my paint-fill applications. I sometimes thin the paint with Tamiya thinner, but usually just apply thr paint straight from the bottle. When I'm finished I let the paint dry for a day then apply a Tamiya clear coat directly over the paint. I wipe off the excess and I'm good to go. I've never had to reapply.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

How is Tamiya paint holding up without clear coat? Just curious.

I've had no issues with my irons but had paint bubble on a putter sight line in the fall. I stripped and reapplied with the same issue. I have a feeling I was dealing with a fertilizer and/or chemical application that was on the green.

I've been using Tamiya exclusively for the past 6 years as I had the paint available (fine scale modelling) and it's easy to work with and clean up.

Ps - those little bottles go a long way and there are a whole host of cool colours.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

matchavez,

I use Tamiya for all of my paint-fill applications. I sometimes thin the paint with Tamiya thinner, but usually just apply thr paint straight from the bottle. When I'm finished I let the paint dry for a day then apply a Tamiya clear coat directly over the paint. I wipe off the excess and I'm good to go. I've never had to reapply.

What's your application implement? I've been stuck using a push pin... and I was guilty of uneven levels overall.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

So far, this is my first Tamiya. I don't have the clear coat yet, and the one test I've done thus far hasn't been great... but the 8-iron was nasty to a lot of paint. I'll get a chance to try it out soon.

So far, this is my first Tamiya. I don't have the clear coat yet, and the one test I've done thus far hasn't been great... but the 8-iron was nasty to a lot of paint. I'll get a chance to try it out soon.

It turns out that you just have to give the Tamiya a lot of time to dry. At least 48h in my case. It's been very good this time.

It turns out that you just have to give the Tamiya a lot of time to dry. At least 48h in my case. It's been very good this time.

Matchavez,

I'm sorry I missed the previous post, but it appears that you've sorted things out. I'd love to see finished pictures of your work. I'm guilty of getting excited and throwing the clubs into play far too soon.

To answer your question . . . I usually apply with a small paintbrush and/or a toothpick. I do like the look of the little plastic applicators with small bristles on the end. I'll look to pick up a package when I head to the craft store next.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Matchavez,

I'm sorry I missed the previous post, but it appears that you've sorted things out. I'd love to see finished pictures of your work. I'm guilty of getting excited and throwing the clubs into play far too soon.

To answer your question . . . I usually apply with a small paintbrush and/or a toothpick. I do like the look of the little plastic applicators with small bristles on the end. I'll look to pick up a package when I head to the craft store next.

There should be some pics above...

Matchavez,

There should be some pics above...

Brain fart Mat. I had seen the pictures but thought you had re-finished the paint-fill again.

Cheers.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

• 2 weeks later...

Additionally, tried cleaning off the excess with a q-tip soaked in acetone and it took a lot of the paint out of the letters too

I use paint thinner and used a small corner piece of a shop towel. wrap the shop towel around my index finger, get some paint thinner on it and lightly rub the area i want to remove the paint. key is not to let is get into the painted crevices of where you just painted. Also, i let it sit for 24hrs before i mess with it. i only use acetone with a piece of a shop towel at the end to clean it all up.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Additionally, tried cleaning off the excess with a q-tip soaked in acetone and it took a lot of the paint out of the letters too

I use paint thinner and used a small corner piece of a shop towel. wrap the shop towel around my index finger, get some paint thinner on it and lightly rub the area i want to remove the paint. key is not to let is get into the painted crevices of where you just painted. Also, i let it sit for 24hrs before i mess with it. i only use acetone with a piece of a shop towel at the end to clean it all up.

Assuming you don't go the technique that I've seen a lot of people recommend of just covering the entire area of where you want the paint to go and removing excess after?

Just realized the paint I used was water based. If i put nail polish clear coat on it, will that help at all at preventing the paints from running off when using the wedges?

I'd start over...

Damn it. So what's the exact kind of paint I should be looking for? I can't find Tamiya model paint at any of the hobby stores by me. I just bought acrylic paint as most people recommended that. Should i be getting oil paint instead?

Just realized the paint I used was water based. If i put nail polish clear coat on it, will that help at all at preventing the paints from running off when using the wedges?

I'd start over...

Damn it. So what's the exact kind of paint I should be looking for? I can't find Tamiya model paint at any of the hobby stores by me. I just bought acrylic paint as most people recommended that. Should i be getting oil paint instead?

I'm confused... did you get acrylic paint, or water paint? Msg me offline...

I'd start over...

Really, nail polish!

They are acrylic based AFAIK and dry the fastest. Easy to match with nail polish remover for cleanup.

You just need a very light touch when removing the excess and be patient so that it's fully dry.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

After reading through 40 pages of notes, does anyone have any further experience with using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to go over the excess paint?

I've used it before. Works pretty well but you will have to clean the white residue off of the surface and in the engraving. I've also used a t-shirt over my index finger moistened with acetone and run lightly over the surface as well as 000 Steel Wool. All work well...

After reading through 40 pages of notes, does anyone have any further experience with using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to go over the excess paint?

I've used it before. Works pretty well but you will have to clean the white residue off of the surface and in the engraving. I've also used a t-shirt over my index finger moistened with acetone and run lightly over the surface as well as 000 Steel Wool. All work well...

Actually after I got all of the paint out of it, I just really liked the naked look. Kind of sneaky classy looking to me. The wedges have gotten the patriotic paint fill though.