Presidents Cup 2011 Discussion Thread (merged)

8orBetter

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1321545574' post='3813329']
[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1321544133' post='3813209']Just because a channel publicizes something as a Tiger vs. Scott match, doesn't make it so. I would understand it if it were a 4 ball or singles match, but a 4some match is certainly not a mano y mano match, no matter what Golf Channel or anyone else wants to make it out to be.
[/quote]

Mano y Mano? no. But last event's undefeateds got trounced by the a team that included the player that EVERYONE wanted to see go up against Tiger. Fact

So...maybe, just maybe, instead of motivating Tiger, this really motivated Adam Scott? we'll see.
[/quote]

LOL, that was before a fire hydrant, 20 mistresses, a divorce, swing change and knee/achilles injury. If you think either guy was remotely similar to their form in 2009, then i have some great swamp land to sell you.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1321546137' post='3813377']
holy moly folks. They lost because they played poorly as a team and went up against a motivated team, that played well together.

The blame doesn't go on Freddie, they just underperformed. The US is still up by 2
[/quote]

you have to look at the source of that motivation.

would adam and k.j. have been as motivated against someone other than tiger? to the extent that they would have won the match 7&6? personally, i don't think so.

freddie i'm sure feels very fortunate to be up 4-2.

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1321546409' post='3813401']
[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1321544133' post='3813209']Just because a channel publicizes something as a Tiger vs. Scott match, doesn't make it so. I would understand it if it were a 4 ball or singles match, but a 4some match is certainly not a mano y mano match, no matter what Golf Channel or anyone else wants to make it out to be.
[/quote]

Mano y Mano? no. But last event's undefeateds got trounced by the a team that included the player that EVERYONE wanted to see go up against Tiger. Fact

So...maybe, just maybe, instead of motivating Tiger, this really motivated Adam Scott? we'll see.
[/quote]

LOL, that was before a fire hydrant, 20 mistresses, a divorce, swing change and knee/achilles injury. If you think either guy was remotely similar to their form in 2009, then i have some great swamp land to sell you.
[/quote]

Making excuse then, are we? I know all this, I know it all. There are other folks on this board that you should telling that stuff to. I won't clog space trying to say who or why, but suffice to say that choosing Tiger was widely regarded as a no-brainer based on past performance, not current play. So now it's their current play that is referenced as a detriment/excuse?

Also this "matchup" was something that was widely anticipated, but with a different outcome. Sometimes in sports this stuff just happens.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I compare that first day to the Lakers playing the Warriors or Packers Vs. Broncos. This is the game that Kobe shoots 2-10 in the first half or Rogers throws two picks in the first half and the Lakers/ Packers wonder into the locker room with a small lead. The other team is now thinking, what adjustments can we make?
We beat their best pairing; we had chances and couldn’t close. Now we have to try something new, these were our comfortable pairings.

Norman has his work cut out for him….

Honestly, I was not impressed with the crowd. I expected them to be much louder and behind their home town boys. I expected to hear much more of that Aussie Aussie Aussie, oi oi oi thing.

If the International squad expects to win, Norman needs to make some really good decisions and the crowd needs to be way more vocal. Without out that, this thing is over.

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1321546491' post='3813413']you have to look at the source of that motivation.

would adam and k.j. have been as motivated against someone other than tiger? to the extent that they would have won the match 7&6? personally, i don't think so.

[/quote]

100% agree with you. KJ and AS got up for their match. It was important to them and you could Tell from AS's interview that he viewed it as such. That is the stuff that's good for sports.

Also...I think it goes a little ways in AS's confidence knowing that he can take his game to another step. His knock has been not being able to rise for a big tournament (until this year I guess).

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1321545874' post='3813351']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1321545455' post='3813315']
There are a lot of matches left, it is too early to judge the Tiger pick.

I def. do not like the Tiger/DJ pairing. I actually hate the Kuchar / Stricker pairing. I thought a change was needed, but I think this is worse.

And why split Choi/Scott? I am not seeing the logic on this one.

[b]Yesterday's pairing actually worked in the US's favor. Although not the intent, the Int team's best pairing went up against the our worst. Had Striker/Woods played soemone else, they would have lost. Scott/Choi were beating anybody they faced yesterday. But who would have known. So you cant say that it was Freddie's error in pairing them, because even Norman respected the pairing enough to put his big guns against them.[/b]
[/quote]
Absolutely agree with this... all of it ...particularly the last sentence. One of the reasons Tiger was picked was so the he would go with Strick. Sometimes in sports things just happen.
[/quote]

Not necessarily true. Stricker/Woods would have only been one down versus Kim/Yang after twelve holes. Scott/Choi would have been even with Watson/Simpson and Mickelson/Furyk after twelve holes. There is no way of knowing how those matches would have turned out.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1321547188' post='3813467']
[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1321546409' post='3813401']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Making excuse then, are we? I know all this, I know it all. There are other folks on this board that you should telling that stuff to. I won't clog space trying to say who or why, but suffice to say that choosing Tiger was widely regarded as a no-brainer based on past performance, not current play. So now it's their current play that is referenced as a detriment/excuse?

Also this "matchup" was something that was widely anticipated, but with a different outcome. Sometimes in sports this stuff just happens.
[/quote]

6 out of Tiger's last 8 rounds were 68 or better. I'm not sure how that could be considering he's playing poorly.

the only reason the woods/ scott match got press was because of that idiot williams, and it was a TEAM match. I was waiting to hear about how he beat la cava. if williams was caddying for day it would have been the woods/ day match. I am a huge stricker fan but he should have removed himself and let bradley play. he has not played in months and has real injuries that are impacting his play. I am not a fan of the course because of the rock hard tricked up greens - all they need are a few windmills and a clown face.

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1321547833' post='3813531']6 out of Tiger's last 8 rounds were 68 or better. I'm not sure how that could be considering he's playing poorly.
[/quote]

You, yourself just listed several "reasons" why Tiger/Stricker didn't perform. The impressive trend of the last few rounds not withstanding, go back a little further this season.

We can nitpick over semantics, but we both know what we're both getting at.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1321540478' post='3812977']
[quote name='poizster' timestamp='1321514959' post='3812441']

Does Keegan try and pull chicks? I thought he might go the other way.
[/quote]

Pretty sure he gets it in with chicks. He seemed to get rather friendly when he was hugging his sister after the PGA Championship.
[/quote]

Never any shortage of tasteless clowns. These comments really aren't humorous and have nothing to do with what is a decent discussion.

As to the topic . . . .

Adam and KJ are simply two of the best players in the world right now. Tiger and Stricker are both a long ways from that.

Although we saw way too many putts from GC, and too many little "features", and not enough golf shots to really get a feel for any particular match, it was pretty clear that Stricker struggled in a big way. Tiger didn't do much with his irons, either, and appeared to have one bad drive, but Stricker was way off. When neither player in an alternate shot has much control over their approaches to the greens, it isn't going to be pretty.

I applaud Stricker's effort for being there, but seriously question whether it was a good move on his part, because he hasn't played golf and did not look to have much. I really think after the layoff, and even with Tiger's performance last week, they should have each been paired with stronger players in the alternate shot. Was not at all surprised they got dusted.

Frankly, I'm not very excited about the Woods/Johnson pairing, but I do expect Woods to get it together. I will be surprised if Stricker plays well at all this week, which is too bad, because he's a great guy and when he's healthy, a great player.

Badds looked like he was in shock after imitating me off the 18th tee. Hope he recovers, he and Day seemed to be a good pairing. Feel sorry for Els, looks like he has to shepherd the kid around again today. May be a good team move, but I think he deserved a better pairing.

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1321546491' post='3813413']
[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1321546137' post='3813377']
holy moly folks. They lost because they played poorly as a team and went up against a motivated team, that played well together.

The blame doesn't go on Freddie, they just underperformed. The US is still up by 2
[/quote]

you have to look at the source of that motivation.

[/quote]

Scott maybe not. K.J. on the other hand? I think he is one of the most mentally strong players on tour and would be a bulldog no matter whom he played against.

It is kind of funny watching how the Tiger/Scott debate has shifted...

"Tiger is going to dominate him" - "Tiger would have dominated him if not for Stricker" - "Tiger didn't play great, but he wasn't as bad as Stricker and if they played someone else, they would have won" - "Freddie is a genius for putting Tiger and Stricker together to minimize the loses for the US"

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='flyersfan91' timestamp='1321548875' post='3813627']
Don't know if this has been said or not yet, but Tiger and Dustin Johnson will be playing together today in the best ball format. Kuchar and Stricker together too.
[/quote]

TW and DJ, would like to see that.

How was Tiger around/on the greens?

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1321549231' post='3813657']Scott maybe not. K.J. on the other hand? I think he is one of the most mentally strong players on tour and would be a bulldog no matter whom he played against.

It is kind of funny watching how the Tiger/Scott debate has shifted...

"Tiger is going to dominate him" - "Tiger would have dominated him if not for Stricker" - "Tiger didn't play great, but he wasn't as bad as Stricker and if they played someone else, they would have won" - "Freddie is a genius for putting Tiger and Stricker together to minimize the loses for the US"
[/quote]
"Forget about the last year, he and Stricker will be great! 5-0 last time!" - "You can't expect Tiger to be great. Just look at the last two years"

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1321549359' post='3813671']
[quote name='flyersfan91' timestamp='1321548875' post='3813627']
Don't know if this has been said or not yet, but Tiger and Dustin Johnson will be playing together today in the best ball format. Kuchar and Stricker together too.
[/quote]

TW and DJ, would like to see that.

How was Tiger around/on the greens?
[/quote]

OK, not great and not bad.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*

To some questioning Couples pairing of Stricker/Woods yesterday, did you really think he'd split them up after the media has done nothing but declare them to be the team of the decade? lol

Can you imagine the shockwave amongst the completely inept press corp if they weren't paired? Nevermind that neither are anywhere near the form they were 2 years ago. The media will kiss can right to the very last drop.

To those TW fanatics downplaying the bludgeoning because it was a team effort....therefore a team loss, I guarantee that if the tables were turned, you'd be on here saying that Tiger kicked Stevie and Adam's a** all over the lot. Be serious.

I played RM 20 yrs ago and let me tell you those greens are something. What a golf course !!! The members actually took their pull carts right over the greens
Cardy's Random thoughts after day 1

- I wish I had used the PVR
- Stricker should have withdrawn
- Keegan Bradley should be there
- Bubba shot shaping is impressive and handy on greens of that severity
- Mickleson was under-rated coming in
- Furyk is reliable under the gun
- Toms a great pahdsy in this type of event, unflappable and pipe line .. see that putting stroke?
- Wow Greg Norman has some personality issues, the statements, the raised arm gestures etc "look at me everyone!"
- I love watching events at courses of this calibre, very Augusta like viewing, wrong spot = thx for coming out, bye bye now !
- Nice to seeing + 7 cappers gagging as bad as I do under pressure sometimes

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1321546409' post='3813399']
[url="http://network.yardbarker.com/golf/article_external/this_is_what_it_looked_like_when_tiger_woods_shook_steve_williams_hand_photo/8152327"]This Is What It Looked Like When Tiger Woods Shook Steve Williams’ Hand (Photo)[/url]

Damn...
[/quote]

Tiger should have a much happier look on his face. Feinstein captured exactly what I was thinking when he said Tiger should give Stevie a big 'Thank you', because he's the only guy in the world who can make him look good right now. And Stevie's certainly tried his best.

[quote name='TCreighton1973' timestamp='1321549718' post='3813697']
To some questioning Couples pairing of Stricker/Woods yesterday, did you really think he'd split them up after the media has done nothing but declare them to be the team of the decade? lol

Can you imagine the shockwave amongst the completely inept press corp if they weren't paired? Nevermind that neither are anywhere near the form they were 2 years ago. The media will kiss can right to the very last drop.

To those TW fanatics downplaying the bludgeoning because it was a team effort....therefore a team loss, I guarantee that if the tables were turned, you'd be on here saying that Tiger kicked Stevie and Adam's a** all over the lot. Be serious.
[/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but i vehemently disagree with you on giving TW all the credit had they won. A 4 some is the ultimate team competition in golf. Had it been 4 ball and TW played well, then i you're right, i probably would have given TW most of the credit, especially considering how poorly Stricker played yesterday.

[quote name='CARDY' timestamp='1321549759' post='3813701']
I played RM 20 yrs ago and let me tell you those greens are something. What a golf course !!! The members actually took their pull carts right over the greens
Cardy's Random thoughts after day 1

- I wish I had used the PVR
- Stricker should have withdrawn
- Keegan Bradley should be there
- Bubba shot shaping is impressive and handy on greens of that severity
- Mickleson was under-rated coming in
- Furyk is reliable under the gun
- Toms a great pahdsy in this type of event, unflappable and pipe line .. see that putting stroke?
- Wow Greg Norman has some personality issues, the statements, the raised arm gestures etc "look at me everyone!"
- I love watching events at courses of this calibre, very Augusta like viewing, wrong spot = thx for coming out, bye bye now !
- Nice to seeing + 7 cappers gagging as bad as I do under pressure sometimes
[/quote]

Great comments.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*

I was most impressed with DJ and Kuchar grinding out a half after being well down. That is mental fortitude. In kind of a sick way, I enjoyed seeing a big ol' stud pro hit a shot off 18 tee that would embarrass me. I understand his motivation, but maybe Stricker should have passed on this one. He's been hurt, not played much and this is not a course to try and find your game. Then the Bradley argument would have been moot, and he would have been intensely motivated.

[quote name='druecu' timestamp='1321499507' post='3811135']
Is anybody else picking up that soft, constant beeping noise in the background? Is Terry Gannon hooked up to an EKG or what? Maybe it's just me, but that's all I'm hearing now.
[/quote]
I'm glad that wasn't just in my head, I had to keep pausing coverage to make sure my fridge door wasn't open or a phone off the hook.

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1321549948' post='3813713']
[quote name='TCreighton1973' timestamp='1321549718' post='3813697']

[/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but i vehemently disagree with you on giving TW all the credit had they won. A 4 some is the ultimate team competition in golf. Had it been 4 ball and TW played well, then i you're right, i probably would have given TW most of the credit, especially considering how poorly Stricker played yesterday.
[/quote]

Of course it's a team event. I was speaking in terms of how a Tiger fanatic would rationalize the loss, versus a win. I wasn't speaking for how I perceive it.