2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Scratchswingers WITB

[quote name='BoomerSooner214' timestamp='1392700861' post='8692059']
[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1392658601' post='8686939']
[quote name='BoomerSooner214' timestamp='1392655093' post='8686553']
Scratch loving the Toe Sweep. Took it out cold turkey for two rounds this week at pretty hard tracks, La Costa and Del Mar CC. My K is now on the bench. I agree with your assessment that its better in all lies except sitting up in the fairway. On the soft lobs it gets up so fast. I need some time to get used to that. I thought the K was the holy grail out of the sand but the Toe Sweep might be a little better.

Glad the SLDR is working out for you. You are dropping some bombs with that thing.
[/quote]
Scratch your still gaming the TS? Any more feed back on it would be great. Did you get your wedge work done yet?

Boomer the TS really kicked the K out? What's the big advantages?
[/quote]

@MNNikeGuy I'm still in the honeymoon stage so right now I'll game it over the K. I think the biggest advantage over the K so far is the high lob or touch shots around the green. Sometimes the K felt clunky to me with the bounce. Out of the sand I'd give a slight nod to the Toe Sweep. Full shots were pretty even to me. I thought I'd dig more with the Toe Sweep but that wasn't the case. The divots were a touch deeper than with the K but that didn't bother me. I mean I'll be honest I could play either wedge and be fine. They are both great wedges but I think being able to get the ball up quickly and land soft will really benefit my game.
[/quote]

@MNNikeGuy I can echo what Boomer said, the TS around the greens is a lot easier to play than most other 60°'s that I have played. I am mainly referring to soft shots and sand shots. It takes some practice to get used to how quickly the ball will elevate compared to other wedges. You can easily slide the wedge right under the ball if you don't spend some time practicing with it. The compact head shape is also something that I really like.

The only advantage that the higher bounce, traditional grind wedges have would be full shots and normal pitches (face square) off fluffy/fairway lies. Anytime the ball is sitting down in the rough or on a thin lie I would give the TS the advantage over my other wedges. I rarely use my 60° over 70 yards. So for those 1/2 or 3/4 wedge shots the "digging" has been a non issue.

I have been without them for a few weeks now, I can provide some more in site after I get them back and get a few rounds in.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1392740350' post='8694051']
[quote name='BoomerSooner214' timestamp='1392700861' post='8692059']
[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1392658601' post='8686939']
[quote name='BoomerSooner214' timestamp='1392655093' post='8686553']
Scratch loving the Toe Sweep. Took it out cold turkey for two rounds this week at pretty hard tracks, La Costa and Del Mar CC. My K is now on the bench. I agree with your assessment that its better in all lies except sitting up in the fairway. On the soft lobs it gets up so fast. I need some time to get used to that. I thought the K was the holy grail out of the sand but the Toe Sweep might be a little better.

Glad the SLDR is working out for you. You are dropping some bombs with that thing.
[/quote]
Scratch your still gaming the TS? Any more feed back on it would be great. Did you get your wedge work done yet?

Boomer the TS really kicked the K out? What's the big advantages?
[/quote]

@MNNikeGuy I'm still in the honeymoon stage so right now I'll game it over the K. I think the biggest advantage over the K so far is the high lob or touch shots around the green. Sometimes the K felt clunky to me with the bounce. Out of the sand I'd give a slight nod to the Toe Sweep. Full shots were pretty even to me. I thought I'd dig more with the Toe Sweep but that wasn't the case. The divots were a touch deeper than with the K but that didn't bother me. I mean I'll be honest I could play either wedge and be fine. They are both great wedges but I think being able to get the ball up quickly and land soft will really benefit my game.
[/quote]

@MNNikeGuy I can echo what Boomer said, the TS around the greens is a lot easier to play than most other 60°'s that I have played. I am mainly referring to soft shots and sand shots. It takes some practice to get used to how quickly the ball will elevate compared to other wedges. You can easily slide the wedge right under the ball if you don't spend some time practicing with it. The compact head shape is also something that I really like.

The only advantage that the higher bounce, traditional grind wedges have would be full shots and normal pitches (face square) off fluffy/fairway lies. Anytime the ball is sitting down in the rough or on a thin lie I would give the TS the advantage over my other wedges. I rarely use my 60° over 70 yards. So for those 1/2 or 3/4 wedge shots the "digging" has been a non issue.

I have been without them for a few weeks now, I can provide some more in site after I get them back and get a few rounds in.
[/quote]
Thanks scratch and boomer for your input. Sounds like a perfect match for me in a 58*. I never use my 58 for full shots just around the green and bunkers. My course is a link style with tight fairways and nasty rough around the greens.
Sorry if I high hacked your WITB!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

How are you making up for the weight loss of removing the chrome?

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Leave them as-is, no paintfill. Look great!

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1392849936' post='8704421']
[attachment=2076773:20140219_125622.jpg]
[/quote]
Damn those turned out great.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Nice let me know when you wanna sell those Laker Pom covers ;-) great setup

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

Those wedges turned out real nice

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[/quote]

Dang those look good. How long did it take?

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1392857617' post='8705203']
[/quote]

Dang those look good. How long did it take?
[/quote]

About one week, they have always had really good turnaround times.

cant wait to see them once they start to rust up and have seen a few balls on them
will be awesome for sure

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1392615043' post='8684599']
A solid 15-20 yards on the course, I'm sure the harder fairways today had something to do with the longer drives. I might get an S+ like Jimmy Walker and really go deep.

And thanks....
[/quote]

S+ is a solid shaft. I know some people say it's not as consistent throughout the shaft as the blue board/Kai'li/B series but I have had really good results with it in a G25 driver and Anser 3 wood.

Nice to see such good results from new equipment scratch

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

Scratch, after hearing about your trip to the kingdom, and your results, I have a few questions for you. If you would prefer to ask them over PM, I could do that as well; but, I think you might be able to help some people. Today was my first time hitting the Tour Preferred line and I was thoroughly impressed. I had my mind set on Ping s55's, but now I might make a combo set. I've looked over the bounce and lofts for each club, and I don't know what would be a good way to make a combo of 4-PW in the three Tour Preferred Lines. Any advice would be appreciated!

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[quote name='FSUbulldog' timestamp='1393133628' post='8726364']
Scratch, after hearing about your trip to the kingdom, and your results, I have a few questions for you. If you would prefer to ask them over PM, I could do that as well; but, I think you might be able to help some people. Today was my first time hitting the Tour Preferred line and I was thoroughly impressed. I had my mind set on Ping s55's, but now I might make a combo set. I've looked over the bounce and lofts for each club, and I don't know what would be a good way to make a combo of 4-PW in the three Tour Preferred Lines. Any advice would be appreciated!
[/quote]

I would not worry about getting too technical and comparing the specs of each head under a microscope. TMAG engineered the line so that you can essentially build the set to whatever is most comfortable for you and your game. They will bend whichever head so that they all match up.

When I was fit for my set we started with a 7 iron, I hit the MC and MB's, I knew right away that the MB gave me a better ball flight in the lower irons and I preferred the head shape. Next I needed to decide if I wanted an entire set of MB's or where the cut off would be. I hit the longer irons, the MB were launching a little low and plain harder to hit. I was consistently hitting the MC's 3-5 yards longer in the long irons. I preferred the head shape of the MC over the CB so the final step was determining what iron would be my last MC. I went back and forth between the MC and MB 6 iron hitting all types of shots, I like the MB better because I make consistent contact with the 6 iron and am not that concerned with forgiveness. I like the fact that the MB is easier to flight and work left/right.

I do believe that the speed pocket does work to a certain extent. I have hit some pretty poor shots with my longer irons that still reached the greens when I expected them to be short in the bunker. I think it's a wise decision to utilize the speed pocket in the longer irons. You just need to determine what is the longest iron that you feel 100% comfortable hitting flush under some pressure. Personally I don't think the MC's are that much more forgiving than the MB's in the shorter irons and I like the head shape of the MB short irons over the MC's.

I have gone through the honey moon faze and played numerous rounds, I do wish I went with the CB's for my 4-5 irons. The MC launches a little low for what I like to see and I don't mind the offset as much as I would have thought. I have been playing my 712u 4 iron over the MC simply because it's easier to hit high. I think the CB will be more along the lines of the 712u, I just have not had a chance to order them yet but I plan too soon. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1393213461' post='8732172']
I would not worry about getting too technical and comparing the specs of each head under a microscope. TMAG engineered the line so that you can essentially build the set to whatever is most comfortable for you and your game. They will bend whichever head so that they all match up.

When I was fit for my set we started with a 7 iron, I hit the MC and MB's, I knew right away that the MB gave me a better ball flight in the lower irons and I preferred the head shape. Next I needed to decide if I wanted an entire set of MB's or where the cut off would be. I hit the longer irons, the MB were launching a little low and plain harder to hit. I was consistently hitting the MC's 3-5 yards longer in the long irons. I preferred the head shape of the MC over the CB so the final step was determining what iron would be my last MC. I went back and forth between the MC and MB 6 iron hitting all types of shots, I like the MB better because I make consistent contact with the 6 iron and am not that concerned with forgiveness. I like the fact that the MB is easier to flight and work left/right.

I do believe that the speed pocket does work to a certain extent. I have hit some pretty poor shots with my longer irons that still reached the greens when I expected them to be short in the bunker. I think it's a wise decision to utilize the speed pocket in the longer irons. You just need to determine what is the longest iron that you feel 100% comfortable hitting flush under some pressure. Personally I don't think the MC's are that much more forgiving than the MB's in the shorter irons and I like the head shape of the MB short irons over the MC's.

I have gone through the honey moon faze and played numerous rounds, I do wish I went with the CB's for my 4-5 irons. The MC launches a little low for what I like to see and I don't mind the offset as much as I would have thought. I have been playing my 712u 4 iron over the MC simply because it's easier to hit high. I think the CB will be more along the lines of the 712u, I just have not had a chance to order them yet but I plan too soon. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
[/quote]
That certainly does help a lot! I know for a fact the I will only go with MB through the 8 iron. I am a pretty good ball stricker, but no where near good enough for all blades. I thought it might be a good idea to use CB's in the 4 and 5 irons, but the MC's seemed very workable. I still haven't ruled out the s55's either. . . I guess I'll have to hit them on some real turf and go from there.

Also, did I miss anywhere you put a recap of your fitting at the Kingdom?

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

No I need to do that.... Everything has been working great so far with exception to the 4 irons which I prefer the 712, I still plan on tinkering with the three wood and testing the CB's. The Kingdom fitting was not the most technical fitting that I have ever had but it was one of the most successful in terms of clubs that work on the course. I still want to give it some time to see what stays after the face paint has worn off :slow_en:

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1393215038' post='8732328']
No I need to do that.... Everything has been working great so far with exception to the 4 irons which I prefer the 712, I still plan on tinkering with the three wood and testing the CB's. The Kingdom fitting was not the most technical fitting that I have ever had but it was one of the most successful in terms of clubs that work on the course. I still want to give it some time to see what stays after the face paint has worn off :slow_en:
[/quote]

My guess is none of it. Maybe the 3 wood and hybrid :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1393216207' post='8732430']
[/quote]

My guess is none of it. Maybe the 3 wood and hybrid :)
[/quote]

I want to get my FH1000's re-shafted, tweak the specs a little and add a PC555 4 and 5 iron. Then get the TMAG CB 4-5 irons and see what I like better at that point.

i have limited use w my CB's Scratch and they were nice
easy to get up or keep down, depending on what you wanted to do
I may end up getting a 4i, as my 24* (actual lot 23*) goes further than I thought
Its allowed me to pull my 20* hybrid, so I have room to add the 4i now

I too think the speed pocket aid's on slight mis-hits, in keeping the distance and dispersion close
I mean a bad shot is a bad shot, but a groove high or low and you are still in a decent spot

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[/quote]

I'd love to hear about the fitting and all the clubs they recommended. I'm assuming you waited for the Tour Preferred wedges? I was originally liking the sm5's, but hearing the Tuor Preferred will be raw stainless steel makes me want to try them.

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1393265690' post='8735308']
i have limited use w my CB's Scratch and they were nice
easy to get up or keep down, depending on what you wanted to do
I may end up getting a 4i, as my 24* (actual lot 23*) goes further than I thought
Its allowed me to pull my 20* hybrid, so I have room to add the 4i now

I too think the speed pocket aid's on slight mis-hits, in keeping the distance and dispersion close
I mean a bad shot is a bad shot, but a groove high or low and you are still in a decent spot
[/quote]

Did you play the 712u at all? How do the CB long irons compare to that? I lined the CB's up next to the 712u today and they look really similar in regards to top line and offset.

If 712u 5 iron came to retail I might just buy that and play a mixed set of Titleist and TMAG.