Dogs on the course

[quote name='displayname' timestamp='1333487687' post='4642143']
Yeah, I understand the issues with letting dogs run freely through a course. I just never thought about it till recently, and then I was surprised I'd never seen it. Glad to know some people get to enjoy it though.
[/quote]

my labradoodle goes with me every round on my home course and quite a few of others. she is 1 year old. yes i pick up the poop. yes she keeps the geese off our course pretty completely.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are well-enough trained to take on a course, but I've never done it, and probably never will. They are 120 years old, and too old now anyway. Among other concerns, I'd be worried about large dogs, especially retrievers, picking up balls and either swallowing them or choking.

That said, courses around here are half-covered in goose poo already. I'd rather have a few piles of dog doo than a million little goose turds everywhere. Course, we have coyotes around and they don't scare away the geese, so I'm not sure that'd even work.

I've only seen a dog on a course once around here and the dog was extremely well behaved. I love dogs so I was cool with it because I could play with him whenever we got backed up. But on one hole the guy was looking for a ball in the rough and the dog took a leak right in the side of the fairway.

So does that answer the pee question? I'm sure all of us have taken a leak on the course at one time or another - but *probably* not right in the middle of the fairway where it does god knows what to the grass to say nothing of now being somewhere no one else wants to play from.

I say you've probably not - because I've met a few of you clowns before and you never know ;)

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

i love dogs as much as anybody, but probably shouldn't be allowed. dogs here and there are fine (assuming they're well behaved), but the fact is, not all are. and if you had 15-20 dogs running around, that's just way too much chaos for a golf course.

and we've probably all seen dogs "do their business" then kick their feet and spray grass/dirt. would HATE to see them do that do a beautifully manicured bent grass green. haha

Play Shadow Creek in Sallisaw, Oklahoma. I played it recently and there was a dog that I think belonged to the course owners. It followed the group ahead of me around the whole round. It was awesome to watch. When they would be in their carts it would trot after them. When they stopped it would lay down. Just brought a smile to my face.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

With all due respect to dog lovers it has occurred to me lately that the golf course is one of the few places I can frequent without being barked at. My neighborhood has more dogs than people. I am surrounded; behind me, to the left, to the right, across the street. They bark in the morning, afternoon, and especially each night at 10pm, like clockwork. I have to wait for it so I can hit the sack. I'm a bit tired of it, to be frank.

[quote name='dcfas' timestamp='1333674758' post='4661295']
With all due respect to dog lovers it has occurred to me lately that the golf course is one of the few places I can frequent without being barked at. My neighborhood has more dogs than people. I am surrounded; behind me, to the left, to the right, across the street. They bark in the morning, afternoon, and especially each night at 10pm, like clockwork. I have to wait for it so I can hit the sack. I'm a bit tired of it, to be frank.
[/quote]

more dogs than people??? where do you live, the pound?

[quote name='greg c' timestamp='1333682482' post='4662222']
[quote name='dcfas' timestamp='1333674758' post='4661295']
[/quote]

more dogs than people??? where do you live, the pound?
[/quote]
Sure seems like it sometimes.

One of those things where I'm sure a responsible dog owner would have a great time with and not disrupt everyone. Unfortunately, many dog owners seem to have a particular lack of perception for how irresponsible they are and would be an absolute disaster bringing their dog to the course. I have a dog that I love, but she stays at home and I would never play a course where there were a bunch of dogs around. Few months back I had a guy walking his dog around the course with his daughter while on his cellphone. He quite literally decided to go for a walk on a golf course with the 3 noisiest, most loud things possible. This is the typical situation that would occur time after time if dogs were allowed on the course.

Yesterday a friendly lab that had gotten loose came up to me all excited and let me pet her. She ran around to each in my foresome and just when I was walking up to my ball she ran by and snatched it up and started running down the fairway with it. 50 yards ahead a low runner shot bounds by her and she drops my ball in stride and then goes after the runner and grabs it and runs around with it. It was hit by another from my group. 5 minutes go by as we, her owner, and the head pro try to get her to come to us and get her on a leash. It was hilarious but also why dogs shouldn't be on a golf course.

That and also I wouldn't want to hit my ball out of doggy excrement, no matter what kind...ewwww.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I asked my local pro if he would mind if I brought my pup (9 month old black lab) out once to see how she would do (been working really hard on her training so this was a test for her). He love dogs and said ya go ahead, he actually walked the round with me and was impressed that she sat during my shots and then stayed with me while walking, didn't take off after the geese or make any sounds all round. The week after I tried with the cart, she sat the cart the whole time. She now has a "membership" so she gets to come walk with me when I play in the evenings. I don't think I'll bring her on the weekends though as if too many people see her I could imagine lots of people wanting to bring dogs. All in all everyone at the course loves her now.

Additionally, when I was growing up there was a course near me that had a dog that lived at the course, slept in the club house and came in for meals. Otherwise he just roamed around and would follow you for a few holes!

My home course here in Puerto Rico has at least a dozen strays that live their lives on the fairways, I'm sure the owners wouldn't mind if a few more dogs accompanied players.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1333914906' post='4678482']
[quote name='RooneyTunes' timestamp='1333904287' post='4677370']
I asked my local pro if he would mind if I brought my pup (9 month old black lab) out once to see how she would do (been working really hard on her training so this was a test for her). He love dogs and said ya go ahead, he actually walked the round with me and was impressed that she sat during my shots and then stayed with me while walking, didn't take off after the geese or make any sounds all round. The week after I tried with the cart, she sat the cart the whole time. She now has a "membership" so she gets to come walk with me when I play in the evenings.[b][color="#ff0000"] I don't think I'll bring her on the weekends though as if too many people see her I could imagine lots of people wanting to bring dogs. All in all everyone at the course loves her now.
[/color][/b]

Additionally, when I was growing up there was a course near me that had a dog that lived at the course, slept in the club house and came in for meals. Otherwise he just roamed around and would follow you for a few holes!
[/quote]

So, what you're saying is, it's OK for you to bring your dog as long as nobody else brings theirs.......Very Interesting!
[/quote]

haha, not at all! Though re-reading my original post that's exactly what it sounds like! I meant more that, say someone is coming to the course for the first time and they see me out there with my dog while the course is busy, people may just assume that its ok to bring dogs (without the permission of the pro), and I do agree that not all dogs are cut out to be brought to the course, but some are not a problem. To be honest typing this post I've begun reconsidering taking her! Thanks for the perspective.

I bring my border collie out once in a while when I'm on the course later in the day. He just cruises around with me and chases away the geese. I'll take him out early in the morning for a ride once in a while just to scare the geese off.

There are a few other people that take their dogs out as well... all are well behaved and there has never been an issue. Usually just run along side the cart or ride in it.

My course is lined with houses and there's a bike/running path around some of the perimeter and some homeowners have made friends with the GM and are encouraged to run their dog on the course before any golfers get out to scare the geese away. Works out for everyone!

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

I've taken my Black Lab with me for every home round for the past 17 years (2 different dogs)and have never had a negative issue. It's a great conversation starter and a way to meet new people and is especially pleasureable when walking 18 but they've been excellent riders as well. I see this being no different than taking your kids to Wal-Mart; if you've taught them how to act, there's not going to be a problem.

On the other hand, I play with a group that'll have you play it down and I don't think a fresh dog turd will be a moveable object. just sayin'

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='displayname' timestamp='1333474493' post='4640231']
I did a search for this, and after going about 5 pages back, I didn't see anything. Sorry if I missed it.

Can you take dog on the course with you anywhere? I've never seen anyone bring a dog with them for a round, but it seems like the perfect activity to bring a dog along. I understand that some courses may not want any dog poo on the course, or things like that, but it seems to me like some courses like muni's and city courses might allow dogs. Does anyone know if anywhere allows this, and if so, why not?
[/quote]

Indian Valley GC and San Geronimo GC in Marin County, CA - just north of SF. They just changed policy to allow dogs. But of course they have to be either on leash or you have to prove to the staff you have complete vocal command over your dog.

[quote name='greg c' timestamp='1333586224' post='4652189']
I've seen way more PEOPLE that shouldn't be on a golf course than I have dogs that shouldn't be on a golf course...
[/quote]
Very true

TM SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Speeder
Cobra Bio Cell+ 13.5* w/ Matrix
Srixon ZTXII w/ TT TC X1
TM ATV 52*/58* w/ KBS Tour Black (Tiger Stepped)
[size=4]Scotty Cameron Golo[/size]

While I would love it if I saw dogs regularly while out playing my local courses, I think it really is something that works better at member courses. These courses can get to know you and how well behaved your dog is, where as public courses have no idea if the dog is just going to lay there or run around barking all day. As many have said, there would surely be many owners who are like "awesome, I can golf and let my crazy energetic dog out for 4 hours" (the same people who never excercise their dogs and then have no idea why they act crazy) without thinking about how others would react.

My little brother works at Quail Lodge in Carmel CA and they let members take their dogs on the course. It's not like everyone brings their dog but I see them often and have never seen anyone have problems with it, although Carmel is one of the most dog friendly places around. We are going to try taking one of my dogs (all 3 would probably be too many :) ) soon and I am super excited for it!

I've seen small dogs riding with female groups. If you were to bring something like a lab or a golden, it would have to be really well trained. You can't exactly be holding the leash and hitting at the same time. However, I've known goldens who I would think would be perfectly fine walking or riding with thier masters. I wouldn't want to find my ball in a pile of $%!t and trying to figure out if I can get relief from it (if I even wanted to touch the ball again).

There was a guy with a dog on our private course last summer. I thought it was awesome. Then the dog saw a squarrel and bolted. The dog made 3 very hard cuts on the green and just annihilated the green. Claw marks like crazy. I quickly realized how bad of an idea it is. Dogs, even well behaved dogs, are still animals and still have a level of unpredictability. I am a huge dog lover, have 2 Schnauzers of my own and I treat them like children, but even with the most docile dog there is a level of unpredictability. Will it chase the bird? Will it bark? In the extreme case will it bite?

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5