Taylormade V-Steel: Band of Brothers

HoosierHacker89

On 6/20/2022 at 9:24 PM, dmeeksDC said:

I’ve joined the Band. The V-Steel 7 wood is perfect for the distance I am seeking to fill. I like how the head is smaller than a lot of more recent 7 woods. Very nimble. As easy to hit as an iron. The sound and feel is as good as this thread says it is. 

Nice man.  Are you keeping the Maxtrix in there?  It was just too long for me.  I like the VSteels about 1" to 1.5" under standard length.  

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

7 minutes ago, stimpmeterp said:

Nice man.  Are you keeping the Maxtrix in there?  It was just too long for me.  I like the VSteels about 1" to 1.5" under standard length.  

What shafts do you play in them? I know there's been some talk in this thread about people using DG S300s in theirs; I was considering going that route with higher-lofted ones.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

When trimmed slightly at the tip the stock isn't so bad for a swing speed player in the 95-100 mph range.  Other shafts are choose your own adventure.  Had success with the new Project X HZRDUS red.

Odyssey 7 Bird 

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

Well, I'm here thanks to @Fuscinator, who posted in my thread yesterday about 7 woods for lefties. Since then, I've gone down the rabbit hole, and I have some offers in on eBay for left-handed V Steel 7 woods. Once I get one in, I think I'm going to put an old original Diamana Blueboard 103x in there. (Other option would be to put an S300 in it, and save the blueboard for the 3 wood or 5 wood that I'm also inevitably going to buy.)

How does the V Steel 7 wood play compared to some current 7 woods? Anything notably different about ball flight, forgiveness, workability, etc.? 

Well, how about that!😻 Welcome to the brotherhood. I can't compare it to current clubs (unless you can wait ten years). I was a longtime Callaway chauvinist (original Steelhead 3, 5, 7 and War Birds 3+, 4, 7, 9 and 11), but once I got my v-steel 7, it's been hard to go back. It's currently my only club between driver and 6-iron (I just treat it like a giant wedge).

I know it's harder to find lefty stuff, so I hope you can get one soon. 

Edited by Fuscinator
minor error
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Welp! I submitted several super lowball offers on eBay, thinking I might get lucky and one would hit. They all got accepted and I now, uhm ... have two V Steel 3 woods, two V Steel 5 woods and one V Steel 7 wood on the way. Oops. 

OK, so reshafting these things: I've never played a steel shaft in a fairway wood before, but want to try it. What specs do I need to look for? I think Dynamic Gold makes .335 wood versions of their steel shafts -- do you grab one of those and use a shim?

Edit: Welp, nevermind, seems like those shafts are incredibly hard to come by these days. For those who play X-flex shafts at what we think of as standard weights in newer woods -- like 60/70 driver, 70 3 wood, 80 5 wood -- what are you using in your V Steels? No idea what the head weights are going to be and how these things will swingweight.

5 V-steels on the way? If you're going to go, go large!

I thought the V-steel shaft tip diameter was .350? 

As for shafts, I've a Graphite Design GT6X in my V-steel 4-wood (which I don't play the much), a Tensei Orange Ck 70TX in my 7-wood, which I love, and a GT7X in my 9w, which I put back in the bag recently in place of my 23: hybrid.

The 7-wood is probably my favourite club in the bag. I grew up playing persimmon, so I like the small heads of the V-steels.  Not only does it give me more confidence off the turf, I also find it easier to work the ball with a smaller head.

Before the Tensei Orange, I had a Quadra Fire RB 6SX shaft in the 7-wood. Now, I hit some bombs with that, but it ballooned a bit too much into the wind and had a tendency to turn over on me. Reshafting with the heavier and stiffer Tensei Orange was one of my best tinkering choices ever.

The 9w is OK with the GT7X, but a heavier shaft (GT8X?) might help keep the ball flight down a little. Still, the high ball flight is one reason I like it. If there's little or no wind, it's a great club. It's like a long range wedge.

The V-steels are great heads with great feel, but it's important to find the right shaft to get the most out of them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

5 V-steels on the way? If you're going to go, go large!

I thought the V-steel shaft tip diameter was .350? 

As for shafts, I've a Graphite Design GT6X in my V-steel 4-wood (which I don't play the much), a Tensei Orange Ck 70TX in my 7-wood, which I love, and a GT7X in my 9w, which I put back in the bag recently in place of my 23: hybrid.

The 7-wood is probably my favourite club in the bag. I grew up playing persimmon, so I like the small heads of the V-steels.  Not only does it give me more confidence off the turf, I also find it easier to work the ball with a smaller head.

Before the Tensei Orange, I had a Quadra Fire RB 6SX shaft in the 7-wood. Now, I hit some bombs with that, but it ballooned a bit too much into the wind and had a tendency to turn over on me. Reshafting with the heavier and stiffer Tensei Orange was one of my best tinkering choices ever.

The 9w is OK with the GT7X, but a heavier shaft (GT8X?) might help keep the ball flight down a little. Still, the high ball flight is one reason I like it. If there's little or no wind, it's a great club. It's like a long range wedge.

The V-steels are great heads with great feel, but it's important to find the right shaft to get the most out of them.

I think .350 is right. 

I have an original Diamana Blueboard 103X that I'm going to put in the 7 wood. The 7 wood is the one I'm most excited about -- I think it might go straight in my bag. I'm a lefty, and most manufacturers aren't offering their current lineups' 7 woods for lefties ... and those that do are very flat, like the Ping G425 and the Callaway Rogue ST Max. I was looking for something with a little more of a classic shape, and think the V Steel just might be exaclty what I had in mind. 

For the others, we'll see. I think I'm just going to scour eBay for cheap, used X-stiff 80/90g shafts that are somewhat smoother profiles. Seems like I've seen some Riptide MX and LX 80TX protos floating around out there for cheap.

• Like 1

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

3 hours ago, eric61 said:

I think .350 is right. 

I have an original Diamana Blueboard 103X that I'm going to put in the 7 wood. The 7 wood is the one I'm most excited about -- I think it might go straight in my bag. I'm a lefty, and most manufacturers aren't offering their current lineups' 7 woods for lefties ... and those that do are very flat, like the Ping G425 and the Callaway Rogue ST Max. I was looking for something with a little more of a classic shape, and think the V Steel just might be exaclty what I had in mind. 

For the others, we'll see. I think I'm just going to scour eBay for cheap, used X-stiff 80/90g shafts that are somewhat smoother profiles. Seems like I've seen some Riptide MX and LX 80TX protos floating around out there for cheap.

103X? Hurts my back just thinking about it😱

The 7w has been a great club for me. It's versatile: I can use it off the tee, off the deck, in the rough, and even in some fairway bunkers (actually, the 9w is best for those). As it goes the distance I want, I see no reason to replace it with anything newer or shinier.

Hope yours works for you as well as mine does for me👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eric61 said:

Welp! I submitted several super lowball offers on eBay, thinking I might get lucky and one would hit. They all got accepted and I now, uhm ... have two V Steel 3 woods, two V Steel 5 woods and one V Steel 7 wood on the way. Oops. 

OK, so reshafting these things: I've never played a steel shaft in a fairway wood before, but want to try it. What specs do I need to look for? I think Dynamic Gold makes .335 wood versions of their steel shafts -- do you grab one of those and use a shim?

Edit: Nevermind, seems like those shafts are incredibly hard to come by these days. For those who play X-flex shafts at what we think of as standard weights in newer woods -- like 60/70 driver, 70 3 wood, 80 5 wood -- what are you using in your V Steels? No idea what the head weights are going to be and how these things will swingweight.

Fantastic! I'm the wrong person to ask about shafts (the only times I've had a different shaft put in is when I busted the old one). I'm sure you'll get it figured out, especially with two 3s and 5s.

I'm looking forward to hearing about how these work for you. 

This thread hot me all hot & bothered enough to throw my VSteel 7w back in the bag for next round, and pull my M4 hybrid...I also have a tour issue 3W with the paint break sitting in my basement I might need to slap around, too.

• Like 2

Vessel Player III Stand (White)

TaylorMade SIM 9.0* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6x
TaylorMade SIM Ti 15* Aldila XTorsion 70x
TaylorMade M4 19* Hybrid Fujikura Atmos S

Srixon Z u85 23* Graphite Design Tour AD-U 95s

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Project X LZ 5.5 

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore Tour Rack 52-10 | 56-10 | 60-10 Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Bettinardi Studio Stock 7 34" 
Titleist Pro V1x

So what is so good about the v steel fairways guys and which model is best? I really don't see eye to eye with fairway woods generally but I do prefer older models. I realise they have a real cult following and are always in the conversation when it comes to the goat fairway woods. I probably wouldn't take much convincing to buy one but would be interested to know what spec works best for you guys? My driver swing speed is around 110mph and have a gap between driver and 3 iron which I can never seem to fill with any real confidence or conviction. Cheers 

1 hour ago, AP76 said:

So what is so good about the v steel fairways guys and which model is best? I really don't see eye to eye with fairway woods generally but I do prefer older models. I realise they have a real cult following and are always in the conversation when it comes to the goat fairway woods. I probably wouldn't take much convincing to buy one but would be interested to know what spec works best for you guys? My driver swing speed is around 110mph and have a gap between driver and 3 iron which I can never seem to fill with any real confidence or conviction. Cheers 

IMO.  Sits square.  Not low profile but not deep faced.  Cuts through turf very well.  Hot face.  The right size - not just front to back but also heel to toe.  Just the old standard yet new standard from the tiny heads of yesterday.  If only they weren’t made stock with the shiny black heads!  They look real good when stripped or painted matte!

• Like 2

Odyssey 7 Bird 

20 minutes ago, stimpmeterp said:

IMO.  Sits square.  Not low profile but not deep faced.  Cuts through turf very well.  Hot face.  The right size - not just front to back but also heel to toe.  Just the old standard yet new standard from the tiny heads of yesterday.  If only they weren’t made stock with the shiny black heads!  They look real good when stripped or painted matte!

Is there a DIY for stripping the paint off? Saw somebody post one like that earlier in this thread and it looked super sharp.

4 hours ago, stimpmeterp said:

paging @HoosierHacker89 I reckon you were able to DIY right?

I took them to my father in laws shop and sand blasted all of them! 

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

13 hours ago, eric61 said:

Just got the first couple of the V Steels I bought on eBay in! When these came out, my golf purchases were limited to discount bins, so I've never actually had a really close look at them until now. 

LOVE the shape. They just sit perfectly. These have the stock stiff graphite shafts in them, the M.A.S.2 Ultralights. I'll very likely reshaft them at some point, but will give the stock shafts a try first.

Thought I'd post some pictures as comparisons to "modern" fairway woods, in case anybody's interested. 

First is my Rogue ST LS 3 wood and the V Steel 3 wood. 

Second is my TSi2 5 wood and the V Steel 5 wood.

IMG_6106.jpeg

IMG_6107.jpeg

Can tell you from experience those Stock MAS shafts can vary greatly. I still have the stock shaft in the 9 wood. On the CPM machine it is between a regular and stiff even though it states it is a R. I have had the 7 wood since it is new and played the stock shaft for years until it broke and I never ran the CPM on it but it was marked stiff. Had to go to a UST 65 stiff to match the feel and flight. All I can say is try them and see

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SUITS said:

Dipping my toes back into the V steel pool. Found a good condition lefty 7 wood with the stock steel shaft. Hope to fill a 210-220 carry number with it. 

what has been everyone’s favorite shaft for the higher lofted models to control spin? Is the stock steel going to be low spin as is?

I'm a fan of the good old NV shafts.  If they suit you, could be worth a shot.  That said, just about any good graphite that suits you will get the job done.

I used to play with steel shafts in metal woods quite a bit, I found they were actually higher spin than the graphite I've used, and ultimately switched to.  Maybe it was just me, but it happened quite a few times over the years.  Watching a 3w zip back in the fairway was "interesting"

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm a fan of the good old NV shafts.  If they suit you, could be worth a shot.  That said, just about any good graphite that suits you will get the job done.

I used to play with steel shafts in metal woods quite a bit, I found they were actually higher spin than the graphite I've used, and ultimately switched to.  Maybe it was just me, but it happened quite a few times over the years.  Watching a 3w zip back in the fairway was "interesting"

I had the NV75 in a 3 and 5 previously. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SUITS said:

Dipping my toes back into the V steel pool. Found a good condition lefty 7 wood with the stock steel shaft. Hope to fill a 210-220 carry number with it. 

what has been everyone’s favorite shaft for the higher lofted models to control spin? Is the stock steel going to be low spin as is?

I have TT DG S300's in all my V-Steels.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

11 hours ago, SUITS said:

TT DG Lites in all my V-Steels. Used to play a 5W with a NV75 and that worked too. 

Ping G400 Max driver w Fujikura Vista Pro 55 

TaylorMade Sim2 Max-D 5W w Diamana s60 Limited

Cobra F8 One Length 3H and 4H

Cobra F7 One Length 5-GW

Cleveland CG15 55* & 60* 

Bridgestone TD-01 putter

Jumbomax JMX Ultralite XL grips

On 8/19/2022 at 8:23 PM, SUITS said:

What type of yardage difference and spin between the stock DG and NV?

NV was 10ish yards longer, but the shaft was 1” longer than the steel. No idea about spin. 

Ping G400 Max driver w Fujikura Vista Pro 55 

TaylorMade Sim2 Max-D 5W w Diamana s60 Limited

Cobra F8 One Length 3H and 4H

Cobra F7 One Length 5-GW

Cleveland CG15 55* & 60* 

Bridgestone TD-01 putter

Jumbomax JMX Ultralite XL grips

• 4 months later...