Done with SkyCaddie

I like my skycaddie but not the fees.

I was in AZ for a month in Feb so I bought the local option. When I got home my local option was up and so I had to renew, I noticed that I no longer had the option to download the AZ courses. I sent an email to support and they basically told me too bad and that I should have purchased the North America option, no credit not able to utilize the option for the U.S. that is supposed to last 1 year.

So SkyCaddie when my licensing is up I'm done, going with a smartphone app or some other gps with no yearly fees. I'll give this to my BIL and warn him about the licensing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't miss the SkyCaddie (nor their annual fees) at all. The Golfshot GPS app is so much more convenient, cheaper, and just as accurate. No more 20 course download limit, separate cord/charger, and scorecard transfers. Everything on my iPhone makes things so much easier.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade M2 9.5* Driver[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Ping G30 3 and 5 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike CPR 3 and 4 Ironwood Hybrid[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist 718 AP1 5-GW[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cleveland RTX 4 SW 56/10[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Odyssey Black Tour Design Series #5 Putter[/size][/font][/color]

Too many other options out there and frankly the GolfBuddy is better. (clear image, incredible accuracy, and all of the courses already on it when you receive it)

No reason to settle for SkyCaddie. There are simply better alternatives now.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1345680880' post='5518608']
Too many other options out there and frankly the GolfBuddy is better. (clear image, incredible accuracy, and all of the courses already on it when you receive it)

No reason to settle for SkyCaddie. There are simply better alternatives now.
[/quote]

How is it better?

It might be the honeymoon period for me but I am loving my Skycaddie since I received it as a Christmas present last year. Went with the state plan so it was of no use to me when I played a week down at Hilton Head (didn't even bring it along) but for every course in state it's been great! Some of the smaller courses (read par 3's) and a couple of the private tracks I play don't have the mapping which is unfortunate but for the remaining 95%, it beats any yardage book (and I have them all). Battery life is okay, I'll get two full rounds and maybe a 3rd from a full charge (on lowest backlight setting) but I usually charge it every two. The wifi version would also be nice so I don't have to connect to my comp for new courses.

I've never really liked GPS but have a big thing for my rangefinder. Not saying that GPS are not great, but with the ridiculous fees that some of them impose on us, it's just not worth it.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I bought a skycaddie 3.5 and have been using it for 4-5 years now and after this year I will be done also. I have downloaded a few apps for my phone and they seem to be every bit as accurate as the skycaddie thus far. Also there is a course I play once a year for a work tournament and the first year I had my skycaddie I asked if the course was going to be mapped soon they told me it was on track for that year. 4 years later I sent another email asking the same thing and was given the same answer. Golfshot and Skydroid both have the course so this is what I will be using.

Way too many other good options out there without a yearly fee to stay with skycaddie especially if they don't have the courses that I need.

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1345694188' post='5519814']
I switched because my iPhone 4 was less accurate and gave me some critically wrong distances.

Also, RoG say no smartphones for hdcp rounds.
[/quote]

Not really correct. You must enter every round you play, including those where you carried more than 14 clubs, tried one of your partners clubs, took practice shots, didn't play a full 9 or 18 holes or used your smartphone etc.

[quote name='6t4gt0' timestamp='1345673516' post='5517972']
I was in AZ for a month in Feb so I bought the local option. When I got home my local option was up and so I had to renew, I noticed that I no longer had the option to download the AZ courses. I sent an email to support and they basically told me too bad and that I should have purchased the North America option, no credit not able to utilize the option for the U.S. that is supposed to last 1 year.
So SkyCaddie when my licensing is up I'm done, going with a smartphone app or some other gps with no yearly fees. I'll give this to my BIL and warn him about the licensing.
[/quote]

I use Golfshot on my iPhone & it is great. However, it is not a legal GPS device per the USGA rules because it has other functionality, such as you could theoretically have an app that tells you which way the wind is blowing & how hard. The app itself is perfectly legal, the device it's on is not. That said, I haven't played in a tournament yet that didn't allow it but I know it's only a matter of time. Skycaddie is legal.

However, I've been thinking about getting a laser rangefinder to use with Golfshot. It'd at least help if I get in a tournament that won't allow me to use my iPhone.

[quote name='Rock Chalk Jayhawk' timestamp='1345691791' post='5519664']
You should consider Garmin. The GPS golf watches offered by the company are some of the best selling, highest rated devices on the market. Plus, all Garmin golf GPS devices come with free lifetime maps.
[/quote]

Same story with me. Not only Garmin's policy regarding maps is spot on but also carrying all of them in the wrist is priceless.
It is interesting to see how Skycaddie is rapidly loosing its market share against other competitors much more customer oriented.

Have a great game

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1345718280' post='5520484']
[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1345694188' post='5519814']
I switched because my iPhone 4 was less accurate and gave me some critically wrong distances.

Also, RoG say no smartphones for hdcp rounds.
[/quote]

Not really correct. You must enter every round you play, including those where you carried more than 14 clubs, tried one of your partners clubs, took practice shots, didn't play a full 9 or 18 holes or used your smartphone etc.
[/quote]

Interesting.

[url=http://www.usga.org/handicapping/publications/To-Post-Or-Not-To-Post/]From the USGA site[/url]: "You must play by the principles of the Rules of Golf in order to post your score. For instance, if you use a mulligan, you aren't playing a hole under the Rules of Golf, so treat it as a hole not played and record par plus any handicap strokes you would have received."

Every hole is played using the illegal device. Therefore every hole was not played under the rules of golf, therefore you were not playing golf at all. Since you did not play at least 7 holes under the RoG, how/what do you post?

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1345734341' post='5521558']
With all of the available options out there, I find it hard to believe anyone would still pay for maps.
[/quote]

People pay the membership fee because you get what you pay for. Garmin maps are free and that is what they are worth. With the uPro MX+ they upped the price $50 to give unlimited Pro Mode maps and they are much better quality than Garmin maps. Overall I like where the MX+ is headed but they are not quite there yet (but given time they will). The Skycaddie mappings are the best of the bunch in the quality of the yardages and overall information provided. I have owned devices from all three I mentioned so I know from using them on the course. As for smartphone apps, they are non-conforming so I would pass on them.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[/quote]You don't need to "warn" your brother in law. It's written everywhere. Sky Caddie has 3 options. . .

1. You can get one state.

2. You can get North America.

3. You can get the whole world.

They are all different packages. This is abundantly clear at the website.

There is no plan like, "transfer a state membership from one state to another." There is no plan like, "increase to a NA membership and just pay the difference."

It's your own fault for buying a one-state package when you knew you would be playing in more than one state.

Look, if you don't like yearly fees, don't get a Sky Caddie, but don't drop them because you failed to understand what they clearly write out.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

[quote name='TheCityGame' timestamp='1345747662' post='5522964']
[/quote]You don't need to "warn" your brother in law. It's written everywhere. Sky Caddie has 3 options. . .

There is no plan like, "transfer a state membership from one state to another." There is no plan like, "increase to a NA membership and just pay the difference."

It's your own fault for buying a one-state package when you knew you would be playing in more than one state.

Look, if you don't like yearly fees, don't get a Sky Caddie, but don't drop them because you failed to understand what they clearly write out.
[/quote]

Or... just get a brand that doesn't charge you fees to get golf courses.

[/quote]

I said I could no longer utilize the AZ portion which is supposed to last 1 year, I paid for it and should have the option to still download those courses. All I want is what I paid for and I didn't get it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but SC runs ads based on detail and accuracy compared to competition. My buddy has one, and I have seen him club wrong on several occasions. All of which is interesting to me since I gave him accurate ydg with my Bushnell and SC he trusts. I still think golfshot is expensive at $30 android....my laser just gets the job done.

Edit: Hey OP, unless I just don't understand, go to BBB online and file a complaint. If they owe you a year of service and simply said sorry....they owe you for sure.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='6t4gt0' timestamp='1345749239' post='5523076']

[/quote]

I said I could no longer utilize the AZ portion which is supposed to last 1 year, I paid for it and should have the option to still download those courses. All I want is what I paid for and I didn't get it.
[/quote]

After reading your two posts, I am not sure what you wanted to do. Your original post indicates your state option expired and you wanted to renew. When a membership expires, you only have access to courses you mapped. You lose access to Skycaddie mapped courses, even ones that you have on your Skycaddie. Maybe if you can give us some details like, what membership(s) did you buy and when you bought it. Plus if you tried to or did purchase any others to use Canadian courses. That will give us a better idea of what you might be able to do..

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1345750567' post='5523200']
Correct me if I am wrong, but SC runs ads based on detail and accuracy compared to competition. My buddy has one, and I have seen him club wrong on several occasions. All of which is interesting to me since I gave him accurate ydg with my Bushnell and SC he trusts. I still think golfshot is expensive at $30 android....my laser just gets the job done.

Edit: Hey OP, unless I just don't understand, go to BBB online and file a complaint. If they owe you a year of service and simply said sorry....they owe you for sure.
[/quote]Maybe your buddy doesn't know how far he hits his clubs. But, if someone has a laser, I trust it more than SC, of course. It's the information the laser doesn't tell you that makes a sky caddie worth it.

Sky caddie can get off sometimes anyway. All GPS systems can. My Garmin in my car has shown me driving in the middle of a river before.

And, the OP is either NOT explaining something right, or he's changing his story.

Here's what it SOUNDS like happened. . .he got a new sky caddie and was in Arizona in the winter or something. He either didn't understand the options, or didn't want to pay the extra $15, so he just got the "one state" option.

Then, he returned home, realized his SC didn't work and said, "well, I'm playing in my home market for a year, so no sense getting the North America option now" and he re-paid $30 for his NEW local option.

Now, for some reason, he wants the option to download Arizona courses. So, basically, it's more expensive than if he got the NA in the first place, but he wants a "two state" option, which DOESN'T exist.

Now, I'm not sure if that's what happened, but if it's close, then this is just another guy blaming someone else for his own screw up. And, people want him to call the BBB or dispute the charges. When did golfers start acting like that?

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Not about my buddy not knowing distances, downhill par 3 and his SC was off by about 5 yards...thanks anyway. Seems to me SC either needs more options, better software, or both. No 2 state option? C'mon, it's 2012! I can shoot any obstacle anywhere on any hole with a Bushnell and get a yardage.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[/quote]

I saw a SkyCaddy ad yesterday where Peter Jacobson says "A recent poll shows 3 out of 5 golfers rated SkyCaddy more accurate than lasers". The poll [i]might [/i]say that but there's no way GPS is more accurate than laser.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1345816288' post='5526850']

[/quote]

I saw a SkyCaddy ad yesterday where Peter Jacobson says "A recent poll shows 3 out of 5 golfers rated SkyCaddy more accurate than lasers". The poll [i]might [/i]say that but there's no way GPS is more accurate than laser.
[/quote]

I howl when I see that one as well. I'm just curious as to who these golfers are they polled. Funny how they need to use a poll, since there is no hard impartial data that shows otherwise.

Skycaddie annual fees are absolutely ridiculous.

The fees are used to pay for all those commercials on TV which cost a fortune. The more they market the more you have to realize the product has something to hide.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1345823616' post='5527502']

The fees are used to pay for all those commercials on TV which cost a fortune. The more they market the more you have to realize the product has something to hide.
[/quote]

The membership fees pay for mappers to travel the country to map new courses, update changes made to courses since the last time they were mapped, and map the greens for intelligreen pro. It costs a lot more to have someone on the course doing the mapping getting the most accurate yardages and information than it costs to have someone in India doing the mapping using a satellite photo.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1345824573' post='5527594']
[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1345823616' post='5527502']

[/quote]

The membership fees pay for mappers to travel the country to map new courses, update changes made to courses since the last time they were mapped, and map the greens for intelligreen pro. It costs a lot more to have someone on the course doing the mapping getting the most accurate yardages and information than it costs to have someone in India doing the mapping using a satellite photo.
[/quote]

Do you have any verification that other companies outsource their map making to India, or are you simply pulling stuff out of your butt? I am guessing the latter.