Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much as I like Callaway drivers I cant see any compelling reason to choose the Extreme over last years Fit. Maybe the new Trinity shaft will be better than the horrible Ripd NV , but they still have same limited adjust-ability of last year. Other than a newer and uglier paint job the head looks almost the same as last year. The only real changes are in the lower lofts where Callaway traded a bit of forgiveness for ballspeed.

I would have much preferred to see loft -face angle be adjustable independent of each other and lie adjustment.

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

[quote name='enduro' timestamp='1357504138' post='6179079']
Much as I like Callaway drivers I cant see any compelling reason to choose the Extreme over last years Fit. Maybe the new Trinity shaft will be better than the horrible Ripd NV
[/quote]

The Xtreme is a different head. 440cc, lower spin. Adjustability is largely over-rated…Titleist is the only company who's got that concept sorted out - but I still play it at A1.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

Man I love this driver but only surprise is they did not go with a dual cog!?! I can say this I have about 5 other shafts with both adapters to try in my new one coming and the tie shaft is a nice uprgrade as well!

Callaway BB 815 DB Diamond 10.5* AD DI 6
Titleist 915FD 18* GD AD DI 7
PING i25 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 TOUR 130
TVD-M TX3 VOKEY 50* 56* 60* KBS HI-REV
Odyssey Prototype #1
Bridgestone B330S or Titleist Pro V1X

Much as I like Callaway drivers I cant see any compelling reason to choose the Extreme over last years Fit. Maybe the new Trinity shaft will be better than the horrible Ripd NV , but they still have same limited adjust-ability of last year. Other than a newer and uglier paint job the head looks almost the same as last year. The only real changes are in the lower lofts where Callaway traded a bit of forgiveness for ballspeed.

I would have much preferred to see loft -face angle be adjustable independent of each other and lie adjustment.
[/quote]

The Razr Fit Is an excellent club. I enjoyed mine this past season. If I could have a driver that has 300 or 400 less RPMs of spin, that will make a significant difference for me. I also wasn't a huge fan of the sound that the Razr fit made, it seems that they've improved the sound well making it sound more like an FT tour or razr hawk. Given that you and I both like the razr fit, and think it's a good driver, I would not want them to do anything other than fine-tune it. For me, these small adjustments are worth getting a new driver, however I can certainly understand how somebody would feel otherwise

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Str8Shot' timestamp='1357505485' post='6179241']
Man I love this driver but only surprise is they did not go with a dual cog!?! I can say this I have about 5 other shafts with both adapters to try in my new one coming and the tie shaft is a nice uprgrade as well!
[/quote]

I found it curious as well. I wonder why?

LEFT HANDED

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1357505044' post='6179181']
Much as I like Callaway drivers I cant see any compelling reason to choose the Extreme over last years Fit. Maybe the new Trinity shaft will be better than the horrible Ripd NV
[/quote]

The Xtreme is a different head. 440cc, lower spin. Adjustability is largely over-rated…Titleist is the only company who's got that concept sorted out - but I still play it at A1.
[/quote]

I agree with this very highly as I play 910/913 and both regular fit and TA FIT drivers from last year and the stock shaft was worthless to any golfer but I am a club h* so....I had to get it and just give it a shot....I went with the matrix shaft offering instead of the trinity and if it does not work with those shafts I have about 6 back ups from ad di shafts to speeder shafts and ozik shafts to try out in it with both adapeters and see if it beats the Razr Fit. I do not think it actually will out perform the Razr Fit especially when you have the correct shaft dialed in on it but I also agree with the Titleist adjustment comment...their system is a good bit better! Still play in A1 position though! Adjustable drivers are pretty over rated!

Odyssey Prototype #1

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1357505719' post='6179263']
[quote name='Str8Shot' timestamp='1357505485' post='6179241']
[/quote]

I found it curious as well. I wonder why?
[/quote]

So they can drop one with the tour cog a few months down the road after they sold a load of regular ones and charge an extra 100 bucks like last time with maybe an extra shaft choice as well. Which is sad but thats marketing and sales!

Odyssey Prototype #1

[quote name='Str8Shot' timestamp='1357505731' post='6179265']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1357505044' post='6179181']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with this very highly as I play 910/913 and both regular fit and TA FIT drivers from last year and the stock shaft was worthless to any golfer but I am a club h* so....I had to get it and just give it a shot....I went with the matrix shaft offering instead of the trinity and if it does not work with those shafts I have about 6 back ups from ad di shafts to speeder shafts and ozik shafts to try out in it with both adapeters and see if it beats the Razr Fit. I do not think it actually will out perform the Razr Fit especially when you have the correct shaft dialed in on it but I also agree with the Titleist adjustment comment...their system is a good bit better! Still play in A1 position though! Adjustable drivers are pretty over rated!
[/quote]

The best part of adjustability is being able to swap out shafts.

LEFT HANDED

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1357446676' post='6176343']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1357445006' post='6176229']
I believe you, Harry, but:
[/quote]

Look at that! But it's actually a week earlier than that. We have to correct that on the website. Thanks for the heads up.
[/quote]

Just pre-ordered the RFE 8.5 Black Tie. This will be my first Callaway product EVER!

Honestly you guys should give a free hat to those that preorder!

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1357506661' post='6179343']
[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1357446676' post='6176343']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1357445006' post='6176229']
I believe you, Harry, but:
[/quote]

Look at that! But it's actually a week earlier than that. We have to correct that on the website. Thanks for the heads up.
[/quote]

Just pre-ordered the RFE 8.5 Black Tie. This will be my first Callaway product EVER!

Honestly you guys should give a free hat to those that preorder!
[/quote]

That's a good idea. We do have some Xtreme hats as a gift with purchase with some retailers. I'll see if we can make this one happen with the quick turnaround...

[quote name='tdk8180' timestamp='1357510115' post='6179633']
This driver is going to be great. It's a FT TA with potential for a double cog and movable weights. This is it, I don't see myself changing drivers after this one.
[/quote]

If thing even remotely smells like an FT-TA they are going to sell approx a million of them…and GolfJunki71 will get a Callaway "tramp stamp" tattoo on his lower back.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I have the RFE driver, X-hot pro strong 3, Versa #1 wide, and the x forged irons on order after just adding the x utility to the bag last week. I honestly can't remember being so excited about new releases in quite some time!!! The Callawrx post got me psyched, and as you can see from my Sig, I'm already pretty full of callaway stuff to begin with. I can't wait to get these new sticks!!

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

[quote name='tdk8180' timestamp='1357510115' post='6179633']
This driver is going to be great. It's a FT TA with potential for a double cog and movable weights. This is it, I don't see myself changing drivers after this one.
[/quote]

Oh I hope it's a ft tour ta.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[/quote]

Well I can tell you that once you see the RFE and hit it, you'll want one. 500 less from the FIT, really beautiful profile and just as forgiving.

I'm looking forward to hitting this and the X Hot Pro and seeing how they work. I like that Callaway has quit putting garbage shafts in their drivers, that's a great development.

And, unlike some on here, I care way more about how it flies and how far it goes than I do about what it sounds like.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

I have to say 500 less spin is a lot and if everything else is comparable def worth getting the new head. I went ahead and like a lot of WRX'ers bought a few shafts to optimize my flight and the best was the WB but I loved the feel and launch of the AD DI shaft but it spun just a tad much. If I can get that down but keep my launch I'm in. Also it seems they have increased forgiveness on toe and heel shots and so that is also a benefit of the newer head.

Cannot wait. Plus if I can get the Black Tie shaft (real deal) then it really worth the price as you get a better head and premium shaft that if nothing else can be one you can resale later and save some $ if you have another shaft that works better. Remember last years adaptors still work on this head. Huge benefit and the newer shafts are .335 so they can go into other OEM heads if needed or resold.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

[quote name='jshel' timestamp='1357537157' post='6182037']
I'm looking forward to hitting this and the X Hot Pro and seeing how they work. I like that Callaway has quit putting garbage shafts in their drivers, that's a great development.

And, unlike some on here, I care way more about how it flies and how far it goes than I do about what it sounds like.
[/quote]

Too early to tell yet, there hasn't been much feedback whether the Trinity shaft is even decent or not. If not, you're forced to pay a premium just to have a decent shaft, like last year.

Last few years, Callaway was putting decent shafts in their drivers - at least the Tour versions. The FT Tour you could get an XCon 6 or Voodoo as stock. Then the FIT comes out and Callaway goes back to putting in $5 shafts just like they did all through the 90's. Fortunately for Callaway , Cobra and Nike even put worse shafts in their drivers in 2012.

As for the greatly reduced spin rates, they seem a little exaggerated. 500 rpms less spin is about as believable as TMs "17 yards longer" claims. Was the test comparison to the FIT, done with the identical shaft, SW, loft and face angle? Regardless, the FIT wasn't exactly a high spinning head and there wasn't much improvement needed there anyways .

Not hating on the RFE driver, I hope it does well this year. I just dont see it as this huge advancement. Rather, its more like what Titleist did from the 910D3 to the 913D3, an evolution but debatable whether its actually any better.

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1357523072' post='6180845']

[/quote]

Well I can tell you that once you see the RFE and hit it, you'll want one. 500 less from the FIT, really beautiful profile and just as forgiving.
[/quote]

This may seem a bit petty on my part but that's one more thing Callaway doesn't understand that makes me scratch my head. They post a million photos on their website of the clubs graphics and arbitrary strange artistic angles. But not the most important angle to serious golfers; the address view. They don't come off as a player's club company anymore - they show off how "bedazzled" their clubs are like TMAG. They might as well superimpose it flying through outer space shooting lasers.

Take a page out of Titleist's book. Show the address view. Take a page out of Mizuno's playbook; talk seriously talk about the engineering, not Lamborghini race cars. Put Doc Hoc front and center.

I'll still give it a whirl to see if it's possibly as good as the FT-TA.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1357573644' post='6183155']
[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1357523072' post='6180845']

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is a bit petty on my part but that's one more thing Callaway doesn't understand that makes me scratch my head. They post a million photos on their website of the clubs graphics and arbitrary strange artistic angles. But not the most important angle to serious golfers; the address view. A bit odd.

Take a page out of Titleist's book. Show the address view
[/quote]

+1, I actually sent Chad a message saying just that the day they posted the Extreme to the site.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='enduro' timestamp='1357549856' post='6182299']
[quote name='jshel' timestamp='1357537157' post='6182037']

[/quote]

Too early to tell yet, there hasn't been much feedback whether the Trinity shaft is even decent or not. If not, you're forced to pay a premium just to have a decent shaft, like last year.

Last few years, Callaway was putting decent shafts in their drivers - at least the Tour versions. The FT Tour you could get an XCon 6 or Voodoo as stock. Then the FIT comes out and Callaway goes back to putting in $5 shafts just like they did all through the 90's. Fortunately for Callaway , Cobra and Nike even put worse shafts in their drivers in 2012.

As for the greatly reduced spin rates, they seem a little exaggerated. 500 rpms less spin is about as believable as TMs "17 yards longer" claims. Was the test comparison to the FIT, done with the identical shaft, SW, loft and face angle? Regardless, the FIT wasn't exactly a high spinning head and there wasn't much improvement needed there anyways .

Not hating on the RFE driver, I hope it does well this year. I just dont see it as this huge advancement. Rather, its more like what Titleist did from the 910D3 to the 913D3, an evolution but debatable whether its actually any better.
[/quote]

I had the exact setup between the Razr Fit and the Razr Fit Xtreme. Both 10.5 heads, setup square and neutral weights, with the Project Xv 6.0 and got right about 500RPM's less spin with the Xtreme. The look between the 2 are different and even with the small footprint in the Razr Fit Xtreme, it is just as forgiving as the Fit. The ball speed on off center shots seems to be better with the Xtreme as well.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

station, I definitely agree with that. It drives me nuts when there's no address pic. And if you sell golf balls, put a ball next to it for a greater effect.

Almost as bad, I also hate when they have irons shown at address but a few degrees off from being straight on. I understand when it's us trying to take in hand pics but the OEM's pics should be done by professionals, or use computer models anyway.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

The web and marketing groups aren't in concert with the engineering group. The end effect of that breakdown is that serious golfers don't think Callaway is as serious as they might be. Add in the NV-S shaft from last year.... (on their flagship product?)

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1357575382' post='6183337']
The web and marketing groups aren't in concert with the engineering group. The end effect of that breakdown is that serious golfers don't think Callaway is as serious as they might be. Add in the NV-S shaft from last year.... (on their flagship product?)
[/quote]

Well that's a LOT different this year. I can tell you first hand that Harry and Doc Hock (and Evan) are well connected and in tune with each other. This isn't last years Callaway. That much I can assure you. BIG differences abound.