2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

GolfWRX TaylorMade SLDR Driver Fitting Sessions Review and Recaps

[quote name='TLfan' timestamp='1375922199' post='7628130']
I remember seeing this prototype a year ago at Adams on XXX's desk, I guess when you run out of ideas you buy some..... How many versions are there of this one? 7 mph gain? Someone wasn't fit properly to begin with....
[/quote]
1. TaylorMade patented the sliding weight technology back in 2005? 2006? but never used it before
2. TaylorMade owns Adams... so seeing some cross-polination of engineering is bound to happen
3. 2 versions. The current retail version is identical to the version that is used on tour (see all the posts above). The first version was simply a prototype. Functionally identical,but with a few cosmetic differences
4. 7mph ball speed is not that much, really, when you consider that would translate to roughly 4mph club head speed if we are talking equal smash factor. If this club itself were a few grams lighter, and the shaft slightly longer, that in and of itself would translate to the 4mph club head speed gain (I can do that myself- give me an off the shelf R1 and an off the shelf RBZ-2, and I'll have 3 or 4 mph gain on the RBZ. Add in, the deeper fact may have also helped the pro who claimed 7 yards to get a slightly better smash factor.

...... valiant effort, however, if you are going to post out and out lies, you really should at least do it in a thread that doesn't have the truth in it multiple times for the benefit of those who would rather jump on the OEM bashing bandwagon without using some simple fact checking.

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dave s 316' timestamp='1375926270' post='7628622']
and like i said, im gaming it because its new, and as good as my gamer now. by no means hands down better. sounds great, looks great, performs the same so far. for ME
[/quote]

Dave, you mentioned ball speeds were the same to your current driver. Did you notice any difference in spin numbers?
Thanks,

[quote name='RobS14526' timestamp='1375963106' post='7630504']
[quote name='dave s 316' timestamp='1375926270' post='7628622']
and like i said, im gaming it because its new, and as good as my gamer now. by no means hands down better. sounds great, looks great, performs the same so far. for ME
[/quote]

Dave, you mentioned ball speeds were the same to your current driver. Did you notice any difference in spin numbers?
Thanks,
[/quote]
im looking at the files now, spin was very close between the two also, as was launch angle. in my groups of swings with both clubs, the spin was within 300 rpms of each other on like shots. as far as my averages for the session, the sldr spun 120 rpms less. so like i said, this thing is good, but its just as good as my perfectly fit rbz. i also tried it it with oban white/ fubuki k and gd-dj. my perfect fit was the di-7x, just like the rbz.
i fall for the TM gain promise all the time. I love their stuff. when the next one comes out, i will fall for it again. unless you are ill fit for your current driver, dont expect these big gains. its just not there.

Just shafted up three shafts play at 45" with GP TV TM Logo Grips.

Motore Speeder 6.2 VC
Attas 4U 6
Project X Blue 6.0

With my 202 gram SLDR head, all are D-6 or D-5

Man I need a lighter SLDR weight, but I might have to just add a little lead tape under the grip to counter balance it a tad to get to D-3 D-2 range.

I do not have the luxury to have any type of Trackman or Flightscope equipment. After a half hour range session dialing it in before taking the demo SLDR to the course. I discovered the perfect set-up for the 10.5 degree head (standard stiff stock) set between std and higher and the blue weight moved 2 notches towards fade from the standard setting. The ball flight was very consistent and just to what I like. I took the demo to the course for 18 and was carrying the ball farther than my current R1 Super TP while also being much more consistent. I hit 12 of 14 FW and I am normally in the 50-60% range. The two I missed were still very playable and in much better shape than my normal misses. I told my buddies that I may need to put one in the bag in the very near future. Sorry for the non technical review, but to me this club felt and sounded fantastic! Hit one to see if it is for you!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Driver

Sub 70 949X - 3W

Sub 70 949X - 7W

Sub 70 600 Pro V2 Black 4-PW

Sub 70 286 Forged Wedges 50* & 56*

Sub 70 JB Forged 60*

Scotty Cameron - PhantomX 5.5

[quote name='Jayhawkeye3' timestamp='1375987144' post='7634034']
No TP Model anywhere here in the Kansas City market....guess I will have to wait. $/@#%*#.
[/quote]
I called TMAG. The bulk of the TPs will be arriving in stores next week.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

Wouldn't a lighter SLDR weight reduce the effectiveness of the technology? It was my understanding that they settled on 20 grams because of its effect in changing shot shape..if one has to go to a lighter weight to achieve a desired SW then that effect must surely be diminished....

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

[quote name='Hairpie' timestamp='1376015267' post='7637214']
Wouldn't a lighter SLDR weight reduce the effectiveness of the technology? It was my understanding that they settled on 20 grams because of its effect in changing shot shape..if one has to go to a lighter weight to achieve a desired SW then that effect must surely be diminished....
[/quote]

Maybe so. I have not messed with the extreme settings to see just how effective the technology really is at this point, but I would have to think that reducing the weight 4 grams which is 20% would not effect most people. Same thing if the weight would have been 24 grams, minor change from the 20 gram weight.

Remember, TM had 10-1 in the past 3 MWT drivers instead of 20-1. Sure, this is a different design that allows for more weight but they also had quad MWT weights that combined 26 grams, or a bias of 24-2.

What I remember back in the day....many of us were on that other site when the R510, R540, and R580 TP's Tour Heads were out. We only discussing "adding" weight, via hot melt and or those little lead back weights. You know, the ones that the other site were selling for big dollars. People wanted 205 gram heads or what we called, Heavy Tour Heads.

Now these heads seem to be to heavy, as TM has been quoted saying that the V2 versions are a lighter head for the Touring Pro's for using heavier shafts and members on here seem to be liking the lighter V2 heads over the retail heavy heads with any weight of shafts.

The complete opposite from the past is seems which makes me go Hmmm? I still want a 16 gram weight for my set ups to get the SW down a few points.

I've still got s 540 XD/TP...204 gram head courtesy of hot melt ...I played it @ 44.5 to get the SW I wanted. Think I'm gonna do the same thing with the SLDR....received my new screw from TM today as well...anxious to see if it starts to strip like the original...

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

I got mine last night and did not notice it felt head heavy at all. Nicely balanced and easy to swing would be how I would define the club. High straight shots that seem to always get out there to my normal best hit distance, but I would not say it goes significantly longer than my 910d2. Having said that, this is a far better driver for me and it goes straight in the bag!

Low spinning is an understatement. I had to swap out the 9.5 to a 10.5. I am having a Fubuki Tour 63 prepped for the SLDR to use this weekend. The Diamana Whiteboard that works great in my R1 Black was a complete bust in the SLDR. If I need more height, I may need to go Redboard.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='Rebel420' timestamp='1375931910' post='7629346']
[quote name='TLfan' timestamp='1375922199' post='7628130']
I remember seeing this prototype a year ago at Adams on XXX's desk, I guess when you run out of ideas you buy some..... How many versions are there of this one? 7 mph gain? Someone wasn't fit properly to begin with....
[/quote]
1. TaylorMade patented the sliding weight technology back in 2005? 2006? but never used it before
2. TaylorMade owns Adams... so seeing some cross-polination of engineering is bound to happen
3. 2 versions. The current retail version is identical to the version that is used on tour (see all the posts above). The first version was simply a prototype. Functionally identical,but with a few cosmetic differences
4. 7mph ball speed is not that much, really, when you consider that would translate to roughly 4mph club head speed if we are talking equal smash factor. If this club itself were a few grams lighter, and the shaft slightly longer, that in and of itself would translate to the 4mph club head speed gain (I can do that myself- give me an off the shelf R1 and an off the shelf RBZ-2, and I'll have 3 or 4 mph gain on the RBZ. Add in, the deeper fact may have also helped the pro who claimed 7 yards to get a slightly better smash factor.

...... valiant effort, however, if you are going to post out and out lies, you really should at least do it in a thread that doesn't have the truth in it multiple times for the benefit of those who would rather jump on the OEM bashing bandwagon without using some simple fact checking.
[/quote]

You wasted a lot of time posting there, what lies did I post? About this being an Adams Proto? That's a fact..... I wouldn't call it cross pollination, but thanks for the breakdown from a TM lovers point of view apparently....

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

Good friend of mine who works out at The Kingdom brought one out today for me to hit with same setup I use now. I currently game a RBZ Tour Issue Tour TP 9* with a Matrix Ozik 7m3 Black Tie. Same shaft setup in the SLDR he brought out and soon as I can get my hands on one it will be in the bag. I currently carry my driver 285-290, first 3 swings with the SLDR was 5 yards deeper which is substantial in squeezing out max yardage. Club is visually appealing, the new color scheme is a welcomed view as I've been hittin white woods since the r11 came out. I am used to a pro tour opened club face as my driver and 3 wood are 2.7 degrees open. I changed the slide 2 clicks to fade and was hitting a perfect 3-5 yard cut which is my preffered shot along with a medium piercing trajectory. I probably on course will have more roll with my current gamer, but the added carry length will be perfect for upcoming winter golf. All in all I'm glad I didnt have them build me a black R1 TP, as the SLDR is another great driver from TaylorMade and I will have a TP version in the bag soon.

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

[quote name='SkyyDesigns' timestamp='1376198329' post='7651822']
Good friend of mine who works out at The Kingdom brought one out today for me to hit with same setup I use now. I currently game a RBZ Tour Issue Tour TP 9* with a Matrix Ozik 7m3 Black Tie. Same shaft setup in the SLDR he brought out and soon as I can get my hands on one it will be in the bag. I currently carry my driver 285-290, first 3 swings with the SLDR was 5 yards deeper which is substantial in squeezing out max yardage. Club is visually appealing, the new color scheme is a welcomed view as I've been hittin white woods since the r11 came out. I am used to a pro tour opened club face as my driver and 3 wood are 2.7 degrees open. I changed the slide 2 clicks to fade and was hitting a perfect 3-5 yard cut which is my preffered shot along with a medium piercing trajectory. I probably on course will have more roll with my current gamer, but the added carry length will be perfect for upcoming winter golf. All in all I'm glad I didnt have them build me a black R1 TP, as the SLDR is another great driver from TaylorMade and I will have a TP version in the bag soon.
[/quote]

Just went to the TM performance lab in carlsbad yesterday. The club is amazing! I picked up about 15 yards. I purchased the 10.5 head with the project x 80g shaft. I can't wait either! bombs away!

[quote name='Jayhawkeye3' timestamp='1376002488' post='7635756']
Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, Edwin Watts etc. in the KC area all confirmed they aren't getting the TP until next week at the earliest.
[/quote]

A local friend ordered his stock SLDR TP 10.5 with 6.2 stiff shaft on July 31st and it arrived last Thursday. Sets up nicely to my eye but I didn't have a chance to hit it as it was very wet that day. He went a degree higher from his usual 9.5 drivers.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 7 wood

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

For any of you guys that already have a SLDR, has anyone measured the length? Stock length on the TP version is supposed to be 45.25".
I've always measured from the ground up the back of the shaft, but was told that TM measures from the center of the clubface, not sure about that.

Driver-Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 70 6.0
3W- Titleist TSR2 15 Hzrdus 70 6.0
Hybrid-Ping G410 19* Xcaliber Pro 85 S
Irons- Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Combo, KBS TOUR 120 S
Wedges- VOKEY SM9 50,54,59
PUTTER- EVNROLL ER7

[quote name='tbowers2' timestamp='1376321289' post='7660258']
For any of you guys that already have a SLDR, has anyone measured the length? Stock length is supposed to be 45.25".
I've always measured from the ground up the back of the shaft, but was told that TM measures from the center of the clubface, not sure about that.
[/quote]

The stock 57 shaft measures 44 3/8" on mine....end of the grip to the end of the sleeve. What that translates into exactly, I do not know.

[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1376324448' post='7660722']
on the TM website the club is reported as 45.5 inches
[/quote]

Correct, according to the TM website, the stock SLDR length is 45.5", TP length 45.25". But I'm wanting to find out how that is measured?

Driver-Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 70 6.0
3W- Titleist TSR2 15 Hzrdus 70 6.0
Hybrid-Ping G410 19* Xcaliber Pro 85 S
Irons- Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Combo, KBS TOUR 120 S
Wedges- VOKEY SM9 50,54,59
PUTTER- EVNROLL ER7

[quote name='tbowers2' timestamp='1376324759' post='7660766']
[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1376324448' post='7660722']
on the TM website the club is reported as 45.5 inches
[/quote]

Correct, according to the TM website, the stock SLDR length is 45.5", TP length 45.25". But I'm wanting to find out how that is measured?
[/quote]

TM is using USGA method now so every club is set measured off 60* angle off the end of ruler. In my experience this method yields clubs that measure 1/4" longer on different scales i.e. Mitchell Golf scale. My SLDR TP measures 45.5" on teh Mitchell at stock 45.25 length.

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

If you custom order a driver from Taylor Made directly and you need the driver to play at a 44.5 length will they adjust the swing weight for your before they send it out to you? Sorry I have never ordered directly from Taylormade before. I would think that if they are cutting an inch off of their standard length for a customer they would have to adjust the swing weight corret?

[quote name='webber' timestamp='1376326924' post='7661054'] [quote name='tbowers2' timestamp='1376324759' post='7660766'] [quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1376324448' post='7660722'] on the TM website the club is reported as 45.5 inches [/quote] Correct, according to the TM website, the stock SLDR length is 45.5", TP length 45.25". But I'm wanting to find out how that is measured? [/quote] TM is using USGA method now so every club is set measured off 60* angle off the end of ruler. In my experience this method yields clubs that measure 1/4" longer on different scales i.e. Mitchell Golf scale. My SLDR TP measures 45.5" on teh Mitchell at stock 45.25 length. [/quote]

My non-TP measures right at 45.5" on my Mitchell. Perhaps they just cut yours .25" longer?

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

[quote name='Hazlo' timestamp='1376327543' post='7661112']
If you custom order a driver from Taylor Made directly and you need the driver to play at a 44.5 length will they adjust the swing weight for your before they send it out to you? Sorry I have never ordered directly from Taylormade before. I would think that if they are cutting an inch off of their standard length for a customer they would have to adjust the swing weight corret?
[/quote]

They should but I would make a point if specifying whatever swing weight you want. Then you know for sure

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Can anyone comment on the 6.3 TS shaft and its characteristics? I hit the SLDR with a fujikura fuel 70 today as well as a 6.2 TS which I currently have in my Callaway RFE. I have been searching the site and other threads for info on the Fujikura 6.3 TS because I thought I remembered review being done by one of the "big guns" on the site but I cant seem to find it (if anyone has the link to that thread I would GREATLY pprciate it). Im just curious to learn the characteristics of the shaft that taylormade will be offering as the TP shaft.

So if anyone has any info on how this shaft performs I would really love to hear what you have to say and Im sure Im not the only one who has interest in the 6.3 TS. Tanks for your help!!

Did anyone ever find out if Fairways are coming?

Irons?

I just got e-mail that RBZ Stage 2 fairways and RocketBladez tour going on sale... got me curious

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

So I hit the club today with a couple different shafts today and man this thing is really low spin!!! I was even getting spin numbers of around 2700 with the stock fujikura 57 stiff shaft. Im not normally a guy that swings stiff flex shafts because I swing 105-110 with a bit of a hard transition on my not so great swings. the Fujikura 6.2 TS X-flex is what I currently play in my callaway RFE and it is a great combo.

On to the SLDR mini-review though. I was hitting the driver with tape on the face so I think that might make it spin a little lower too but Im not sure how much of an effect it actually has (if anyone knows how this really effects numbers please chime in because I would love to know what this does to the numbers!). First I hit it with a fuel 70 S-flex in the 9.5 head and was pretty impressed but shocked with the spin numbers. my best strikes with a little draw were spinning MAX at 2000 rpm launched at around 12 . this shaft had a tendency to want to turn over a little bit too much on me so I moved on to a 6.2 TS S-flex. with this paired with a 10.5 head my launch went to 14* and spin was STILL super low in the very low 2000 rpm range with some in the 1700 rpm range. I could not believe how low spinning it was. flight was much straighter and was overall very impressed with the driver and will be putting together my own combo asap.