GolfWRX TaylorMade SLDR Driver Fitting Sessions Review and Recaps

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1375843659' post='7620792']
are the tour guys using this model or a smaller version? Seems too be a hit on tour and I'm looking forward to testing this against my superfast tp!
[/quote]
This model

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='9ccat9' timestamp='1375843902' post='7620832']
[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1375843659' post='7620792']
are the tour guys using this model or a smaller version? Seems too be a hit on tour and I'm looking forward to testing this against my superfast tp!
[/quote]
This model
[/quote]

Thanks!

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='Jayhawkeye3' timestamp='1375845371' post='7621022']
It's worth the 100 extra bones for the TP model I assume, right?
[/quote]

It is if you don't already have a shaft.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

The stock TP shaft is one of the best shafts on the market. The MOtore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='Jayhawkeye3' timestamp='1375845371' post='7621022']
It's worth the 100 extra bones for the TP model I assume, right?
[/quote]

Check out Discount Dans, they are less than 100 bones difference for the TP.

Driver-Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 70 6.0
3W- Titleist TSR2 15 Hzrdus 70 6.0
Hybrid-Ping G410 19* Xcaliber Pro 85 S
Irons- Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Combo, KBS TOUR 120 S
Wedges- VOKEY SM9 50,54,59
PUTTER- EVNROLL ER7

[quote name='Hairpie' timestamp='1375838742' post='7620082']
[quote name='Banker' timestamp='1375715685' post='7607950']
I can't stop hooking mine!!! Moved the weight to fade, put my Oban v430 in it.....still have an awful left miss..... I don't feel like I'm swinging it bad, just can't help the face shutting down...... Could the swing weight be too light?
[/quote]

I had the same issue today but don't think its due to SW as mine has measured D 5.5 on two different scales and I've always liked it around D2.5-D3.... The fitter had me set @ 11.5 which also shut the head down a bit and had my SLDR weight @ near full fade....on the back 9 today I set the head to standard loft and moved the SLDR nearly back to center and the quick left was gone...just teed the ball a bit higher and it turned a low hook to a mid launch fade....gonna stick with this setting for a bit...
[/quote]

That's something I overlooked in my review. I have always teed the ball very high. The face on this driver is much taller than my Cleveland. I still haven't gotten dialed in on how I want to tee the ball up with this driver. I am still doing some trial and error.

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

just got mine. dont have a swing weight scale, but SLDR head without adapter is 201. shaft is di 7x with iomic grip, playing 45.25. shaft weight with grip and tip is 127 grams. 328 total club weight. my rbz head without adapter is 196. same exact shaft/grip set up is 130. total weight 327.. that being said, any idea what SLDR club will swing weight? 1 gram diff in total weight but 5 grams in head

[quote name='Walkerdb7' timestamp='1375888810' post='7623880']
[quote name='Hairpie' timestamp='1375838742' post='7620082']
[quote name='Banker' timestamp='1375715685' post='7607950']
I can't stop hooking mine!!! Moved the weight to fade, put my Oban v430 in it.....still have an awful left miss..... I don't feel like I'm swinging it bad, just can't help the face shutting down...... Could the swing weight be too light?
[/quote]

I had the same issue today but don't think its due to SW as mine has measured D 5.5 on two different scales and I've always liked it around D2.5-D3.... The fitter had me set @ 11.5 which also shut the head down a bit and had my SLDR weight @ near full fade....on the back 9 today I set the head to standard loft and moved the SLDR nearly back to center and the quick left was gone...just teed the ball a bit higher and it turned a low hook to a mid launch fade....gonna stick with this setting for a bit...
[/quote]

That's something I overlooked in my review. I have always teed the ball very high. The face on this driver is much taller than my Cleveland. I still haven't gotten dialed in on how I want to tee the ball up with this driver. I am still doing some trial and error.
[/quote]

I'm thinking about tossing a protopype 70x in it to see if that handles things.....

[quote name='dave s 316' timestamp='1375893924' post='7624676']
just got mine. dont have a swing weight scale, but SLDR head without adapter is 201. shaft is di 7x with iomic grip, playing 45.25. shaft weight with grip and tip is 127 grams. 328 total club weight. my rbz head without adapter is 196. same exact shaft/grip set up is 130. total weight 327.. that being said, any idea what SLDR club will swing weight? 1 gram diff in total weight but 5 grams in head
[/quote]

Leaderboard.com/SWINGWEIGHT will answer this question

Just did mine...huge issue! 322 grams 34" balance point with 45" GD DI 6 comes to D-7... Head was 202. I need a lighter weight! This was my concern coming from the MWT heads. I will try it, but in the past, above D-4 has not produce a great driver for me when compared to D-2 to D-4

Put in a Matrix 5X3 Reg and it changed to 325 grams and 33" balance and no D-2! This shaft must be counter balanced.

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1375788377' post='7614536']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1375764538' post='7613914']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1375750950' post='7612290']
[quote name='webber' timestamp='1375748320' post='7611924']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1375738317' post='7610802']
ANyone know the MOI on this driver? Moving the weight up means MOI goes down. Just concerned with forgiveness so whats everyone seeing in that regard?
[/quote]

....but I believe the weight up close keeps spin down on misshits like low face hits. Also I recall the R&D team saying it has more bulge and roll to add forgiveness on off center hits.
[/quote]

Gotcha.

ON another note are the normal .335 adaptors all metal EXCEPT for the small round ferrule at the very top or is the piece like the R11 adators where the piece that says higher, lower ,ect... plastic ???
[/quote]

I also asked this question....seems that all the fitters installed either a R1 or Stage 2 sleeves. Pics on TM site show a sleeve that looks like the Stage 2 sleeve to me which is the all metal version with the small ferrule on top...my fav by the way. The Tour R1 sleeve is also the same as the Stage 2 with slightly different fonts and details, but both are 1.5 degrees.
[/quote]

Okay that's what I was thinking. I really hated the plastic collar they put on the adaptors. Just a dumb thing to do when tips have to be pulled.

Also when anyone weighs a head the proper way to do it is WITH the adaptor. Weighing a head without it's hosel is useless.
[/quote]

Non TP has the R1 style sleeve....bummer. Glad I. Ordered a few Stage 2 sleeves

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1375908846' post='7626568']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1375788377' post='7614536']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1375764538' post='7613914']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1375750950' post='7612290']
[quote name='webber' timestamp='1375748320' post='7611924']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1375738317' post='7610802']
ANyone know the MOI on this driver? Moving the weight up means MOI goes down. Just concerned with forgiveness so whats everyone seeing in that regard?
[/quote]

....but I believe the weight up close keeps spin down on misshits like low face hits. Also I recall the R&D team saying it has more bulge and roll to add forgiveness on off center hits.
[/quote]

Gotcha.

ON another note are the normal .335 adaptors all metal EXCEPT for the small round ferrule at the very top or is the piece like the R11 adators where the piece that says higher, lower ,ect... plastic ???
[/quote]

I also asked this question....seems that all the fitters installed either a R1 or Stage 2 sleeves. Pics on TM site show a sleeve that looks like the Stage 2 sleeve to me which is the all metal version with the small ferrule on top...my fav by the way. The Tour R1 sleeve is also the same as the Stage 2 with slightly different fonts and details, but both are 1.5 degrees.
[/quote]

Okay that's what I was thinking. I really hated the plastic collar they put on the adaptors. Just a dumb thing to do when tips have to be pulled.

Also when anyone weighs a head the proper way to do it is WITH the adaptor. Weighing a head without it's hosel is useless.
[/quote]

Non TP has the R1 style sleeve....bummer. Glad I. Ordered a few Stage 2 sleeves
[/quote]

Noticed the exact same thing when I was checking them out today. Same sleeve and plastic ferrule but instead of the lofts they're back to standard, higher and lower.

This is interesting.

Davis Love's SLDR looks like it has about twice as many weight settings on the sole as the SLDR that was sent on me (and is also in the OP of this thread).

I wonder if the Tour Issue SLDRs have incremental adjustments?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/125644/hottest-buzz-from-the-pga-championship-slideshow/7/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ip-slideshow/7/[/url]

Edit...On DLIII's it also looks like the "Neutral" setting is betwwen the L and the D in SLDR on the sole as opposed to being directly above the R in SLDR on mine and in the photos on Page 1 of this thread.

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1375913674' post='7627122']
This is interesting.

Davis Love's SLDR looks like it has about twice as many weight settings on the sole as the SLDR that was sent on me (an is also in the op of this thread).

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/125644/hottest-buzz-from-the-pga-championship-slideshow/7/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ip-slideshow/7/[/url]
[/quote]

Looks like that is case......

This is interesting.

Davis Love's SLDR looks like it has about twice as many weight settings on the sole as the SLDR that was sent on me (and is also in the OP of this thread).

Edit...On DLIII's it also looks like the "Neutral" setting is betwwen the L and the D in SLDR on the sole as opposed to being directly above the R in SLDR on mine and in the photos on Page 1 of this thread.
[/quote]

he is still rocking the original V1, the V2 came a week later with improved cosmetics. it doesnt have twice as many weight settings, it just has twice as many hash marks. it also doesnt have the hash marks on the back end of the sole

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

i not going to jump to conclusions yet , but I just got done with my personal Trackman with the SLDR. For ME, the claims are not close to being right. My swings were 113-115mph (VERY low for WRX,I know!) AOA was +2.5 to +4* Both clubs, SLDR and RBZ T serial heads lofts measured close, Sldr 9.6, RBZ 9.5 . Balls used for this test were lethal, shafts were DI-7X untipped, playing 45.25. Sldr sw was a touch heavier by about 2 points. My smash factor was 1.50 on most shots/ 1.51 on a few, and 1.49 on a few. nothing worse than that. I AM NOT CLOSE TO A TOUR PLAYER, but those smash factors are tour level. Anyway, Sldr wins in sound department. Slider also had a touch more left in it than my RBZ. That was even with trying the slide out on the toe. Not hooks, just more of a left miss. Color. I really don't care, i can hit any color. Ball speed and distance. Ball speed was THE EXACT SAME on 1.49/1.50/1.51 smashfactor strikes with about the same angle of attack. Not even a full mph. So a tour pro saying he picked up 7 mph? Sorry, I'm not buying it unless his previous driver was from 1998. Distance. Also about the same. some longer with both clubs, but the averages on similar swings were no gains or losses that would make a difference in anyones game that I know.
Overall, it will go in my bag. I love Taylormade and trying new things. These were MY RESULTS. Yours may vary. But if you make consistant solid contact with your gamer now and you are honest with yourself, I don't see the claims they are making.
And don't get me wrong, I was praying this was all they said it was. Just not in my experiance. It is awesome, Just the same awesome as my RBZ.

This is interesting.

[/quote]

DL3's SLDR looks like a version 1. It doesn't have the ribs toward the back and it has a tick mark for every spot across the slider part. The version 2 has the same number of spots for the slider, just less tick marks.

At our demo day we were told the only differences between V1 and V2 were a few cosmetic tweaks. We were also told all the new pro heads and retail heads would be the same V2

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='dave s 316' timestamp='1375917649' post='7627572']
Ball speed was THE EXACT SAME on 1.49/1.50/1.51 smashfactor strikes with about the same angle of attack. Not even a full mph.
[/quote]

that just means your swing speed was higher, lower, then even lower. smash factor is calculated ball speed divided by club speed. so lets say your ball speed was 150 for 1.49 smash factor, your club head speed was 100.6, you ball speed was 150 again for the 1.50 then you club head speed was 100, and at 1.51 your club head speed would be 99.3. you cant expect to getting higher ball speeds just cause your smash factor was better, your smash factor needs to be better, as does your swing speed.

so saying your ball speed was the same for each smash factor is just saying your club head speed was different for each swing, as are most golfers.

Taylormade M4 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi White
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade P770 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite
Taylormade Milled Grind 51* 55* 60*
Taylormade Spider Ghost

I remember seeing this prototype a year ago at Adams on XXX's desk, I guess when you run out of ideas you buy some..... How many versions are there of this one? 7 mph gain? Someone wasn't fit properly to begin with....

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1375919374' post='7627778'] [quote name='dave s 316' timestamp='1375917649' post='7627572'] Ball speed was THE EXACT SAME on 1.49/1.50/1.51 smashfactor strikes with about the same angle of attack. Not even a full mph. [/quote] that just means your swing speed was higher, lower, then even lower. smash factor is calculated ball speed divided by club speed. so lets say your ball speed was 150 for 1.49 smash factor, your club head speed was 100.6, you ball speed was 150 again for the 1.50 then you club head speed was 100, and at 1.51 your club head speed would be 99.3. you cant expect to getting higher ball speeds just cause your smash factor was better, your smash factor needs to be better, as does your swing speed. so saying your ball speed was the same for each smash factor is just saying your club head speed was different for each swing, as are most golfers. [/quote]
my smash factor is not getting better than 1.51, and my swing speed is not getting higher than 115

All I know is I saw the SLDR in person today and its STUNNING. Looks just like a driver should at address and dead square.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I think TPs are going to be hard to find. My local shop has the standard heads, but no TP models. I have seen the same reported by others around the forums. It will be three weeks before he even gets demo clubs in.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3