2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

GolfWRX TaylorMade SLDR Driver Fitting Sessions Review and Recaps

[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1375126874' post='7562772']
[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1375126399' post='7562700']
Any plans for matching fw?
[/quote]
nothing was said in Chicago but there may have been a facial expression that made it seem like it's a possibility.
[/quote]

I asked Tom about the concern of dirt, mud or grass getting in the weight channel and he mentioned that it was not much of a concern for the driver, though it was brought up when there was talk of fairway metals. He didn't provide a definitive answer one way or another, though he did leave it open which makes me think they'll think of something to bring this tech on down the club line. I do think that the weight channel getting gunked up does pose a serious issue with this tech in fairway metals.

I mean, I like golf balls
but not that much.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1375127476' post='7562840']
[/quote]
nothing was said in Chicago but there may have been a facial expression that made it seem like it's a possibility.
[/quote]

I asked Tom about the concern of dirt, mud or grass getting in the weight channel and he mentioned that it was not much of a concern for the driver, though it was brought up when there was talk of fairway metals. He didn't provide a definitive answer one way or another, though he did leave it open which makes me think they'll think of something to bring this tech on down the club line. I do think that the weight channel getting gunked up does pose a serious issue with this tech in fairway metals.
[/quote]

Me and Ryan from TM were hitting the SLDR off the deck at the fitting, dirt was no issue, just dusted it off. Simple and it's quite easy to do with this driver in all honesty.

[quote name='Mustng5' timestamp='1375129814' post='7563140']
[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1375127476' post='7562840']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Me and Ryan from TM were hitting the SLDR off the deck at the fitting, dirt was no issue, just dusted it off. Simple and it's quite easy to do with this driver in all honesty.
[/quote]

What about in muddy conditions? Do you think it would collect dirt then?

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1375124811' post='7562514']
[quote name='shawnee' timestamp='1375124620' post='7562488']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1375123610' post='7562354']
[quote name='Scott@84' timestamp='1375123060' post='7562282']
[quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1375121857' post='7562148']
@Jay65

There is no specific standard for how shafts are measured. Each OEM is free to measure shafts by what ever method they want. That's why you end up with different spec numbers. This has been discussed a bunch as well.
[/quote]

This for the 1000000000000000000000 time.
[/quote]

Ah right, that isn't the answer that I have just had from a respected Club maker and much revered individual in the Golf world, but thanks anyhow!!!!
[/quote]
[color=#282828]well Jay, please then share with us, the club builders opinion[/color]

[color=#282828]Shawnee[/color]
[/quote]

I will ask him to pm you.
[/quote]

Could you have him PM me as well?

Thanks.

Callaway Staffer

[quote name='ChrisBouriat' timestamp='1375139666' post='7564234']
After reading all these fittings stories, I desperately want to give this driver a demo.
[/quote]

Clearly playing right into TaylorMade's hands .... well played, TM, well played.

Ping K15 :: Graff PL Red @ 43.5"
Titleist 910f :: 15*
TaylorMade 09 Rescue 3 :: 19*
MP-59 4i-PW : 2flat : -.5" : s300
Callaway X-Forged 54/12 & 60/10
Odyssey White Hot XG #1:: Salty Grip

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1375139799' post='7564262']
7.2 ts speeder going in mine
[/quote]
Great Combo! That's what I ended up with.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Can't help but wondering if the reported results are more of an endorsement for a materially superior driver fitting, rather than for a materially superior driver.

Consider that there are two variables at work here (a) a different fitting methodology (i.e. better and top tier performance lab), and (b) a different driver.

From the descriptions, I didn't sense that the participants had came to the event with drivers that resulted from a top notch, performance lab level of fitting. If so, hard to say how much of their objective gains can be attributed to the top-tier TM performance lab fitting (which is truly awesome), and how much can be attributed to the nifty new driver.

I assume that they didn't also fit the particpants for an R1 using the same shafts and fitting methodologies, just to prove that the newer product was the only variable and the true cause of the superior results. Seems to me that would be more definitive test than giving some Golfwrxrs a tour level fitting experience and then expect them to review the driver that resulted from that experience, while discounting the benefits gained from a superior fitting they've never before experienced. Can't be done IMO. Just a thought.

That said, I'll probably end buying one of these things for the better sound alone (if the reports are correct).

[quote name='jhigdon' timestamp='1375155518' post='7566194']
Can't help but wondering if the reported results are more of an endorsement for a materially superior driver fitting, rather than for a materially superior driver.

Consider that there are two variables at work here (a) a different fitting methodology (i.e. better and top tier performance lab), and (b) a different driver.

From the descriptions, I didn't sense that the participants had came to the event with drivers that resulted from a top notch, performance lab level of fitting. If so, hard to say how much of their objective gains can be attributed to the top-tier TM performance lab fitting (which is truly awesome), and how much can be attributed to the nifty new driver.

I assume that they didn't also fit the particpants for an R1 using the same shafts and fitting methodologies, just to prove that the newer product was the only variable and the true cause of the superior results. Seems to me that would be more definitive test than giving some Golfwrxrs a tour level fitting experience and then expect them to review the driver that resulted from that experience, while discounting the benefits gained from a superior fitting they've never before experienced. Can't be done IMO. Just a thought.

That said, I'll probably end buying one of these things for the better sound alone (if the reports are correct).
[/quote]

exactly what came to my mind as well at first. I blame the 4 long years of pre-med science requirements for this way of thinking haha, but some members mentioned they were previously well fitted for their current drivers and the SLDR still outperformed it. probably not by as much as people with unfit drivers, but still an improvement. I agree completely with what you said here though. and yes ill still be trying one!

TM Aeroburner 10.5* Stiff
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 17* Stiff
Ping G25 20* Stiff
Titleist 712 AP1 4-AW w/ NS Pro 950GH
Titleist Vokey SM5 54*F and 60*K
Cleveland Classic HB 10 Milled Putter

[/quote]

I would say for some yes and some you never be able to find out without a lot of testing, But do to my swing falling apart I really couldn't get a great fitting and we based our info off what I normally do and tweaked it a bit, But any performance I gain will be driver and not the fitting....

[/quote]

Some of the people that went to get fit for SLDR Drivers clearly had fitted drivers of their own. But then again, there are too many factors at play here.

The SLDR has a deeper, tall face than the R1. This would give the SLDR more of a trampoline effect for more ball speed. I will demo a SLDR before switching from my R1. The demos should be in stores shortly.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[/quote]

Hopefully, I can help here. This fitting was the first of any kind of fitting that I have ever done. The driver I was playing cracked right before I won this & I had replaced it with a Callaway X-Hot Pro, then found out the next day I would be participating in the fitting. So, I went to TPC with a driver I hadn't been fitted for & had never played.

At the fitting, I beat balls on the range, way too many before it was my turn on the monitor. I was actually last to go & I was dog tired.......yes, I do realize I'm an idiot. So, I don't think the fitting, while a cool process, is what sold me on this club. Don't get me wrong, the guys know what they're doing & their jobs are 8 bazillion times cooler than mine......but the reviews I have read all indicate a driver that does what's been advertised/

What really sold me on this club is that it actually performs as promised. In my 2nd review, I added that initially on the course, I was having a problem with the lefts, so I adjusted the weight all the way to fade & noticed a immediate improvement in flight. Everybody that I played with over the weekend commented on the ball flight; it was a completely different ball flight than the other drivers in the group. The SLDR lands on a flatter trajectory & bounds down the fairway. I don't think that's the fitting process I was seeing, but the tech behind the head.

I was told the 6.0 fit me perfectly. I've never hit a 6.0 shaft before & probably won't again. But this head is the real deal. I am having my old faithful shaft tipped with the SLDR tip that came on the 6.0 as we speak. I can't wait to get it back on the course.

Oh.......and the sound is awesome, but the feel is what is going to hook you...... You can feel the ball melt off the club, even mishits. I hit some heel jammers that guys were saying "good shot".....but you couldn't tell I had almost hit it off the shaft by the way it flew.....

[/quote]

I think some member like BvMagic was fitted with the same exact shafts for his gamer and SLDR, yet SLDR yields a better number. BvMagic, care to chime in?

[/quote]

I do a fitting each time I get a new driver. Even do them in between to verify that the gear I am using still works for me.

I was fit for my 910 and when I walked out of that fitting everything was as optimized as I could be. Good spin numbers, good launch numbers. Ordered the driver, gamed it for a couple of years. I went back this past winter to get my irons looked at and took another look at the driver. I told the fitter I wasn't in the market for a new driver head, but if there was a shaft that yielded significant improvements over what I have, I may consider it.
Got on the monitor and the launch numbers were ok, not maximized by any means but decent. We tried a few shafts, some that would lower launch angle but bring my spin too low, other that would increase my angle but also drive spin up. We came to the conclusion that without changing my head to something else, I wasn't going to maximize what I had. Not a big deal to me since the ball was playable and I was happy with the thing.

Went to this fitting, got put on the monitor, hit some shafts, let the fitter do his work and we were able to get a shaft/loft/setting combo that gave me ideal numbers. Now will those numbers remain the same after a few months, not sure but I was able to gain a little bit of carry. It was nothing earth shattering but it was still something.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Waterboy> this is one thing I love about the frequent OEM releases... Simply more options available to find the combo that gets us closer to the optimum for each one of us...I don't know of anyone who has ever found the completely perfect combo (as humans, even the best/most consistent one of us is still too inconsistent for that!), but with all of the new/used head/shafts/grips/adjustments out there, chances are we can get pretty dang close.

In all honesty, even if I lost 5 yds, and didn't lose any significant accuracy, I would choose this driver over my current gamer based upon feel, and the way it sets up to the ball. If those factors are in place, for me, not having to fight that, takes my mind off of setup, so I can relax a bit and just swing to the best of my ability

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

Did anyone end up with the TP shaft (6.3 TS) ?? I've had the 7.2TS, 6.2TS, and Fuel 60x TS, and the 6.3TS beat them all hands down.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Banker, I did the same thing. By the time it was my turn on the monitor I was half way done with the balls on the ball pyramid. Most of the balls hit before I got the monitor were just to get a feel for different shafts. Diamana Kali, Tour AD DI, Kyoshi white, Fubuki, and speeder 6.0 were tested before I hit the monitor. Throw in me alternating back to my driver every now and then and that equals me being inexperienced at being fit. When my turn came up on the monitor, Avery finally found the Motore speeder VC 6.2 that I had in my Callaway and previous drivers before that. I felt that when choosing these shafts I wanted to pick the one that I hit dead center more than others, and the speeder 6.2 did that. I don't doubt that other shafts could get similar numbers or even carry further than what I was fit for, but the speeder 6.2 was definitely the most consistent in flight and contact for me.

Once I was on the monitor the SLDR was so much easier to hit and there was no comparison to my Callaway. I'm sure the numbers would be close if I could hit the callaway in the center of the face.

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1375179514' post='7567094']

[/quote]

Some of the people that went to get fit for SLDR Drivers clearly had fitted drivers of their own. But then again, there are too many factors at play here.

The SLDR has a deeper, tall face than the R1. This would give the SLDR more of a trampoline effect for more ball speed. I will demo a SLDR before switching from my R1. The demos should be in stores shortly.
[/quote]
The taller face attracts me because I hit down on the driver. I'll give it a whirl.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='ChrisBouriat' timestamp='1375139666' post='7564234']
After reading all these fittings stories, I desperately want to give this driver a demo.
[/quote] +1

Ping G430 10K 10.5 AD-DI 6s
Srixon ZX MKii 13.5* AD-DI7s

Ping G430 19* Hybrid AD-DI85s
Srixon MKii Utility 4 22* AD-DI85s

Srixon ZX5 5-6, ZX7 7-PW Modus 120s

PXG SDII 58/54 S400 TI, Ping Glide 4.0 50 

Cameron 35in Custom Shop M1 Button Back 
Stitch SL2 Blue Camo

[size=4]It's time to finally report on my "real world" experiences with my new SLDR driver. To preface my thoughts, I have hit mostly TM exclusively since the R510TP driver, but also wait for about a year behind the roll outs to pick one up. I'm sure everyone understands why. That being said, I was probably within a few weeks of picking up an R1 to go along with my R11S gamer, and RBZ backup. Then this wonderful opportunity came, and SLDR is now my favorite non-voweled word.

I received my driver as others last Friday. I hit a few at the range Saturday and decided to jump into the deep end of the pool and play the SLDR in my fourth round of match play at my club the next day. Maybe not the smartest move, but hey, why not? Unfortunately I started off being a little reticent to hit out with the club, worrying about the results, but as the round progressed, my distances and accuracy reflected my increased time with the club. My opponent probably had more good things to say about the sound and flight of the ball than even I. And he's a Titleist guy right now. So after round one, nothing special to write home about. (I shot 81 and lost 2&1, ouch!)

Rounds two and three, yesterday and today, proved much different. Played a tournament yesterday at a course I've only broken 80 on once, never missed a fairway, and shot a 74 to take low net honors. Today in my regular skins game with friends, I missed only two fairways by a total of 5 yards at most, and shot my second lowest round of the year, a 73. My playing partners could not stop asking when they could demo this SLDR. I'm not going to say I out drove them all, but the accuracy was outstanding, and I gained about 15 yards in distance, on very wet fairways, because we play early, right after the sprinklers have done their job overnight. I expect to gain a few more when a normal roll out is added on.

I commented earlier in the thread that the D-7 swingweight the SLDR came with, was more than I was used to playing, around D-3 or D-4. I've played most of the first three rounds with a small amount of choking down on the driver to compensate. But I'm going to wait a little longer before deciding whether I can handle the SLDR full length, 45.25" at D-7, or will have the driver adjusted by TM back down to D-4. After the last two rounds, I'm not touchin' nuthin'!!

So whether it's the head, or the properly fit shaft (Speeder 6.2 TS), or a combination of both, to say I'm happy with my SLDR is an understatement. I would encourage those interested in a great sounding, even better feeling driver, give it a test drive and decide for yourself. Good luck to all in finding your favorite driver.[/size]

Great rounds golfinnut! Did they ask you at the fitting what SW you wanted your club at? My fitter asked and suggested I go with D3. D7 sounds like a beast to swing.

Avery at TPC also said I should go with 44.5 because he said my Callaway at 45.5 looked too long and was keeping me from consistently hitting the center. I took his advice and not only hitting this 44.5 driver better but I've also applied the concept to all my clubs and grip down about 1.5 inches. His single tip to grip down on my clubs has allowed me to have some of my best ball striking in a while. He said he has never fit a pro with a driver over 45 inches.

Swingweight was discussed, but for most of the time we were being fit, we only had one fitter, so the TM engineer was taking notes on what we wanted. That's where the disconnect probably occurred. I did not confirm he had my preferred SW. Got everything else right on the button, so I just have to decide where I'll play it going forward. TM has already offered to make it right. I just have to decide what is right.

[/quote]
For those who were not properly fit 20 seems plausible. Their were others with less gains and I would imagine if someone has an ideal set up now it would be hard to beat. Nevertheless, it seemed like everyone gained and that can't be a coincidence.

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I received my SLDR on Friday and now have two range sessions and one round on the course with it. I've been trying to think what information I can provide about the club that will be useful to those who may be considering a purchase. Since I have been playing the R1 for several months, I'm going to try to explain what I see as playing differences between the two clubs. My swing speed is mid 90s and my angle of attack is slightly down.

I play the R1 set at 10 degrees, neutral, and with the 10 gm weight removed and replaced with a 3 gm weight. It has a Fuel 60S shaft and plays to D4 with that weight setup. With my swing the ball flight is normally medium trajectory. The club is very low spin for me. I hit some shots that are so low spin that the ball doesn't seem to stay in the air as long as it should, but it does roll out well. I hit it mostly straight and can't easily turn it over as I would prefer. I can hit some long drives down wind.

For me, the SLDR produces an entirely different ball flight. I was fit with the 10.5 loft and the slider set one notch for draw. Shaft is the UST Mamiya VTS Silver 6S. On all drives the launch is higher with a soaring ball flight. I can hit some really nice high soaring draws that I would never be able to hit with the R1. One round on the course is not enough to determine distance gains, but I do expect to gain some distance due to increased carry.

In summary, I get a much better trajectory, soaring ball flight, and optimum spin with the SLDR. I feel that is more a product of the SLDR club head design than the fitting or the different shafts. For me it just launches the ball better than the R1, and I think I'll have better control because I'll be able to hit my preferred draw. I was always pleased with the performance of the R1, but I now think the SLDR is a better driver for me. Hope these comments are helpful to those who are following this thread.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

All -I am curious what is the main difference between the stock shaft offered in the standard model and the shaft offered in the TP model? I realize that I ultimately need to get fit, but in many instances I will initially try a club taking advantage of the TGW playability guarantee and then order something custom.

Thoughts?