2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

GolfWRX TaylorMade SLDR Driver Fitting Sessions Review and Recaps

[quote name='Hairpie' timestamp='1375416819' post='7588580']
[quote name='Scott@84' timestamp='1375405278' post='7587400']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1375400170' post='7586906']
Looking for a PIC of the SLDR sleeve please.....thanks

Plus, has anyone able to remove the blue 20 gram weight? Or heard of any other gram weights?
[/quote]

I removed the weight, it would be easy to change to a heavier or lighter weight.
[/quote]

I've got a bit of a problem and wondering if anyone is experiencing anything similar...I've only made 2 adjustments to the SLDR weight and it seems like the screw is stripping....I can't tighten it until it clicks like I can with the shaft...It seems to be tight enough that it isn't moving but I'm worried that it some point it will become completely stripped and then I'll be SOL....Can I just get a new screw from TM and replace it?
[/quote]

I was at the local golf store a day back and both demos they had the slider weight on the bottom had the screw completely stripped. I had plans of buying this driver but I'm going to hold off until I hear some resolution to the issue. I'm sure taylor made will take care of anyone who strips the screw but I would rather not deal with it.

On a side note I hit the driver anyways and it's hands down the best feeling taylor made driver since the 510 tp.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bvmagic' timestamp='1375495869' post='7594888']
I received my Motore speeder VC 6.2 earlier this week from Taylormade. Big thanks to them and Dave for responding to my situation so quickly to fix it. I hit with the speeder 6.2 tour spec I originally received for 2 rounds and a couple range sessions before the new shaft came in. Kept thinking that maybe I could live with the TS because I still produced some good shots with it.

Then today was my first range session with the VC 6.2 and first thing I wanted to do was a direct comparison on the two shafts. And there really isn't any comparison because the VC is so much smoother and connects with my swing perfectly. Occasionally I would connect with the TS the ball would look the same in the air, but the percentages of seeing that shot was lower for sure. The flight was higher and it just had that same familiar feel I've known long time. I had the VC 6.2 in my previous 2 drivers (superdeep and razr fit extreme). During the fitting I actually tried to find another shaft I would like to sort of "move on" but in the end the VC 6.2 just won me over again.

The main difference between the SLDR and my previous 2 drivers was just the forgiveness across the face. Obviously the superdeep and razr fit are not the most forgiving drivers out there, but this head has changed my outlook on what I will look for in future drivers. I'd like to put some impact tape on the face of the SLDR just so I can reference what a certain miss feels like. And I swear when I mishit this driver the ball doesn't curve as much as my Razr fit.

Will still do some more on course comparisons with the VC 6.2, tourspec, and my razr fit with the VC 6.2. I'll keep you all posted in this thread.
[/quote]

Quick question.

Whats the difference for you between the VC 6.2 and the TS? More spin or less with the VC 6.2?

I picked up VC 6.2 TS to try in a few heads. RFX 8.5 LS12 8.5 and a S Yard XV 9.5.& T.388 10.5

My club builder got to hit it last week and he is getting one and moving the R1.

Looking forward to hitting it.

Cheers

[quote name='Yohanan' timestamp='1375500598' post='7595306']
I received my Motore speeder VC 6.2 earlier this week from Taylormade. Big thanks to them and Dave for responding to my situation so quickly to fix it. I hit with the speeder 6.2 tour spec I originally received for 2 rounds and a couple range sessions before the new shaft came in. Kept thinking that maybe I could live with the TS because I still produced some good shots with it.

Then today was my first range session with the VC 6.2 and first thing I wanted to do was a direct comparison on the two shafts. And there really isn't any comparison because the VC is so much smoother and connects with my swing perfectly. Occasionally I would connect with the TS the ball would look the same in the air, but the percentages of seeing that shot was lower for sure. The flight was higher and it just had that same familiar feel I've known long time. I had the VC 6.2 in my previous 2 drivers (superdeep and razr fit extreme). During the fitting I actually tried to find another shaft I would like to sort of "move on" but in the end the VC 6.2 just won me over again.

The main difference between the SLDR and my previous 2 drivers was just the forgiveness across the face. Obviously the superdeep and razr fit are not the most forgiving drivers out there, but this head has changed my outlook on what I will look for in future drivers. I'd like to put some impact tape on the face of the SLDR just so I can reference what a certain miss feels like. And I swear when I mishit this driver the ball doesn't curve as much as my Razr fit.

Will still do some more on course comparisons with the VC 6.2, tourspec, and my razr fit with the VC 6.2. I'll keep you all posted in this thread.
[/quote]

Quick question.

Whats the difference for you between the VC 6.2 and the TS? More spin or less with the VC 6.2?

I picked up VC 6.2 TS to try in a few heads. RFX 8.5 LS12 8.5 and a S Yard XV 9.5.& T.388 10.5

My club builder got to hit it last week and he is getting one and moving the R1.

Cheers
[/quote]

Less spin with the TS. The tip just felt too stiff and the misses just didn't get as high as misses with the VC 6.2. I had the TS in my superdeep when it first came out a year or so ago and it only took a couple range sessions to realize it wasn't for me. Sometimes it can be difficult to gauge the performance of a shaft until you have others to directly compare it to. Like I said, I almost reached a point where I thought maybe I could just play with the TS, but once the VC 6.2 performed on the range I knew I was clearly mistaken.

Try out the TS and see what you think. I think a lot of people tend to overlook the VC 6.2 since the tourspec came out.

[/quote]

My VC is waiting on a sleeve and will get a go in the SLDR head along with a DI 6, and maybe my Devo. I liked it in my R1, but I had to remove the sleeve and put it on the DI 6 since I love it in my R11s

[quote name='bvmagic' timestamp='1375503699' post='7595560']
[quote name='Yohanan' timestamp='1375500598' post='7595306']

[/quote]

Quick question.

Cheers
[/quote]

Less spin with the TS. The tip just felt too stiff and the misses just didn't get as high as misses with the VC 6.2. I had the TS in my superdeep when it first came out a year or so ago and it only took a couple range sessions to realize it wasn't for me. Sometimes it can be difficult to gauge the performance of a shaft until you have others to directly compare it to. Like I said, I almost reached a point where I thought maybe I could just play with the TS, but once the VC 6.2 performed on the range I knew I was clearly mistaken.

Try out the TS and see what you think. I think a lot of people tend to overlook the VC 6.2 since the tourspec came out.
[/quote]

Thanks

It is the XV now. The ball sizzles off the club head. After a couple shots i was still wondering if i was seeing the ball flutter a bit off the club face but really moving quick. May have been the ball. I take what i find and offer them up and play pro v and chrome + currently.

I have hit the same head with a fubuki k and the rombax that came with the xv stock. Have not seen that type of fluttering before with the other shafts. Distance is exactly the same as the fubuk k. The fubuki k is point and shoot and very consistent. Love it.

Just got the ts in and will put it in the rfx next. A wrx r here sold me the f12ls 8.5 head and put the ts in his rfx and loves it. The rfx has the trinity and i actually do like it. Black tie was too much for me and was a push most of the time.

Anyway the sldr seems to be well received. Forgiving and long with low spin is always welcome in my bag!

All this low face talk has me thinking back to my Ping TiST 9 bi metal thats still here in the Nickent 4DX "retired but not forgotten" tour bag. Only driver i have been able to crack 300 and that was a while ago. Hitting low screamers off the bottom third of the that club. But that wasnt a buttery feel at all. Harsh comes to mind.

The flight is med high and penetrating which is what i expected.

If i get the sldr it will be the first tmag driver since the burner 1.0

Cheers

I knew if I would keep reading about the SLDR I would want one. I'm going to go for the 10.5* and put my Oban White Kiyoshi shaft in it. I like my Black R1 but not the sound. Hey why not if it doesn't work TM will have another one out this next spring. No but serious I can't wait till the get released to give it a fair chance against my R1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Just a quick update...mine definitely feels heavy so I finally got it on a SW scale today...it is D5.5 @ 45'... looks like I might be going to 44.75....

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

[quote name='Chickeneddie' timestamp='1375650642' post='7603240']
Does anyone know if the Tp model head has open face? Just a diffrent shaft?
[/quote]

The SLDR head is the same for both the Standard and TP models. The only difference for the TP version is the shaft and shaft options. Standard has .350 sleeve, TP has .335 sleeve.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

I believe R1 tip will work as will RBZ stage 2...I believe our drivers from the contest all have R1 tips on them...someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm a noob when it comes to this adjustable hosel stuff...

TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

Finally managed to get out and play this weekend and got in rounds Fri, Sat, Sun.
It's definitely staying in the bag :)
Played in a fair bit of wind for two of the rounds and one area where it is definitely an improvement on my 913D2 is for hitting liners into the wind. Tee the ball low, choke down, have a swing, get a nice low trajectory with good runout. Definitely going to be helping me out with that common scenario around these parts.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1375662367' post='7604480']
Finally managed to get out and play this weekend and got in rounds Fri, Sat, Sun.
It's definitely staying in the bag :)
Played in a fair bit of wind for two of the rounds and one area where it is definitely an improvement on my 913D2 is for hitting liners into the wind. Tee the ball low, choke down, have a swing, get a nice low trajectory with good runout. Definitely going to be helping me out with that common scenario around these parts.
[/quote]

I noticed the same thing in my first 2 rounds....This thing really shines in the wind...

TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1375661490' post='7604382']
I'm sure this has been answered , but is the tip new or can R1 work?
[/quote]

From a previous post. (lots of info in here, but much has been buried in the previous pages)

[i][size=4]"R1 tips [u]will[/u] work, but with different labeling of course because the SLDR heads are not multi lofted. RBZ Stage 2 1.5* tips [u]will[/u] work and apparently were installed on our SLDRs, so they work best. At least until "official" SLDR tips are out there for purchase.

Unfortunately R9, R11, R11S and RBZ tips [b]DO NOT[/b] work with the SLDR. Wish I had better news for the R11S owners out there. (me included)[/size]"[/i]

[quote name='Banker' timestamp='1375715685' post='7607950']
I can't stop hooking mine!!! Moved the weight to fade, put my Oban v430 in it.....still have an awful left miss..... I don't feel like I'm swinging it bad, just can't help the face shutting down...... Could the swing weight be too light?
[/quote]

Mine is going the other way right now. I just realized they set it in the +1 loft but didn't put it upright which is what my 910 is. I'm going to try this out and if that doesn't work, find something else to blame.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1375719417' post='7608400']
what is the consesus?? go up in loft vs the r1 or same?
i am on the fence about a 9.5 vs 10.5, don't really want to open of close the face to get my desired loft and promoting a draw or fade by doing so..
btw,, does anyone know what loft luke donald is using for his?
[/quote]

For me SLDR launched 1 degree lower and spun 100 rpm less then R1 V2.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Hit the SLDR at lunch the other day and have to say felt really heavy. Results were good and the guy at the local TM Certified fitting shop liked the numbers as a baseline for fitting as this driver is pretty darn low spin. Not sure it is any lower spin than my R1 black with KK Silver. Have to say the TP Motore Speeder TS 6.2 felt stiff and boardy tho.

Not sure the results were enough to sway me off my R1 for now. Numbers are comparable, driver does look good. The swing weight scares me how heavy it is. Not having any MWT or sole screw is discouraging for swing weighting purposes.

ANyone know the MOI on this driver? Moving the weight up means MOI goes down. Just concerned with forgiveness so whats everyone seeing in that regard?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1375725750' post='7609238']
isn't the r1 v2 lower launching vs the stock r1 anyways? are you using the same shaft in each?
thx
[/quote]

There has been a lot of discussion on V2 launching lower and spinning less than retail R1... I'm not sure what the consensus here is. What drew me to R1 V2 was the lighter weight of the V2 head, so I didn't spend much time comparing numbers against retail R1. I can tell you R1 V2 launched slightly lower and spun about 100 rpm less than my Stage 2 (Stage 2 was my previous gamer).

Yes, I used the same shaft for all my testing (R1, R1 V2, Stage 2 & SLDR), is was GD Tour AD BB6.

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1375738317' post='7610802']
ANyone know the MOI on this driver? Moving the weight up means MOI goes down. Just concerned with forgiveness so whats everyone seeing in that regard?
[/quote]

I don't know if you would consider this "forgiveness" or not, but compared to my R1 V2, the SLDR's dispersion was all over the place, for me. Also, two other fitters said they found it less accurate than their gamers as well; one guy games retail R1 and the other a tour issue Nike Covert Tour.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1375741942' post='7611248']
[/quote]

I don't know if you would consider this "forgiveness" or not, but compared to my R1 V2, the SLDR's dispersion was all over the place, for me. Also, two other fitters said they found it less accurate than their gamers as well; one guy games retail R1 and the other a tour issue Nike Covert Tour.
[/quote]

That makes sense. The weight being so far forward negatively effects MOI. If your a consistent ball striker not a huge deal but for the majority of the public that could be a problem. I think a lot of people will buy it only to sell it as mis hits will be punished ALA superdeep. I will admit I bought a superdeep and was thrilled until my swing wasn't perfect and I lost 50yds lol.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1375744713' post='7611514']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That makes sense. The weight being so far forward negatively effects MOI. If your a consistent ball striker not a huge deal but for the majority of the public that could be a problem. I think a lot of people will buy it only to sell it as mis hits will be punished ALA superdeep. I will admit I bought a superdeep and was thrilled until my swing wasn't perfect and I lost 50yds lol.
[/quote]

It's also been proven by Trackman science that a cog farther from the face = more gearing = more curve. Who knows what to believe anymore. I think you just have to go outside and hit it.

[quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1375745272' post='7611582']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1375744713' post='7611514']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's also been proven by Trackman science that a cog farther from the face = more gearing = more curve. Who knows what to believe anymore. I think you just have to go outside and hit it.
[/quote]

Oh I plan on hitting it no worries about that I just don't want another Superdeep.

Edel PROTO

[/quote]

....but I believe the weight up close keeps spin down on misshits like low face hits. Also I recall the R&D team saying it has more bulge and roll to add forgiveness on off center hits.

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

[quote name='webber' timestamp='1375748320' post='7611924']
[/quote]

....but I believe the weight up close keeps spin down on misshits like low face hits. Also I recall the R&D team saying it has more bulge and roll to add forgiveness on off center hits.
[/quote]

Gotcha.

ON another note are the normal .335 adaptors all metal EXCEPT for the small round ferrule at the very top or is the piece like the R11 adators where the piece that says higher, lower ,ect... plastic ???

Edel PROTO