2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

Once overheard a a college age guy, who mentioned he was in his first year of the PGM program at Ferris State, talk about the lead tape that he had on his irons. Said to the other range goer he was having a conversation with that, "No, I don't but the lead tape on the iron heads for added weight or feel. I put it on because it legit adds 30 yards of carry. Thats why you see it all over the pro's clubs. You should try it."

[quote name='EKELLY' timestamp='1450749767' post='12749734']Ever?......Lanny Wadkins saying Johnny Miller was 13 under through 15 holes in a practice round and walked in because he was hungry....Won the tournament by like 8 or 10....LOL[/quote]
13 under thru 15??!!!??!! Only thing getting me off the course that day would have been the Rapture!

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I am very average player--currently a 11-index. A couple of beginners next to me at the range. Apparently they couldn't tell the difference between me and a pro, didn't have much social grace, and vastly underestimated how hard golf is. Because they interrupted me to ask me to teach them how to make the ball "not curve to the right." I told them that the teaching pros here charge about $150 for a 3-pack of 30-minute lessons. And good luck!

This wasnt on the range but was still pretty good...

A par 3 green and a forced lay up par 4 fairway are seperated by a a small pond. My buddy and I are on the par 3 green while 2 younger kids are playing the lay up par 4 before it. one of the kids is searching by the water for his ball, and we were walking towards our balls, so we could clearly see and hear them. The kid by the water turns to the other and yells very loudly

"i sure hope a gator doesnt jump up and bite my pecker off!!!"

How in the world are you supposed to putt after just hearing that?! It took my a full five minutes to recover.

From a five cap: "I'm only 4-5 shots off those guys (PGA tour players) but I I'm not sure if I dropped everything and played golf I could get those shots"

"There are a lot of similarities between myself and Jordan Spieth, he went to a Jesuit highschool and so did I. He was captain of his golf team and I played on mine"

Today was a good day.

[quote name='BobbyDPlaysGolf' timestamp='1450844350' post='12754598']
From a five cap: "I'm only 4-5 shots off those guys (PGA tour players) but I I'm not sure if I dropped everything and played golf I could get those shots"

"There are a lot of similarities between myself and Jordan Spieth, he went to a Jesuit highschool and so did I. He was captain of his golf team and I played on mine"

Today was a good day.
[/quote]

So the head professional at my club is the chair of the PGA Rules committee, which means he gets to do some pretty cool stuff with tournaments including marshaling a hole at the masters and also get's to be the walking rules official for groups during the PGA Championship. Well this year he had the final group on Sunday and was the rules official for Spieth and Day at Whistling Straits. When he got back, I asked him how impressive it was to watch Jason Day hit the ball in person up close that day, he said it was unbelievable, like nothing he'd ever seen especially with how high he was hitting the ball. Then he followed up by saying, "Jordan hit's a much lower ball, it's a lot like your ball flight". I think I had to open to sunroof to accommodate the extra space needed for my head on the drive home.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1450753442' post='12749962']
[quote name='EKELLY' timestamp='1450749767' post='12749734']Ever?......Lanny Wadkins saying Johnny Miller was 13 under through 15 holes in a practice round and walked in because he was hungry....Won the tournament by like 8 or 10....LOL[/quote]
13 under thru 15??!!!??!! Only thing getting me off the course that day would have been the Rapture!
[/quote]That's what I was thinking. They were on the range at Bay Hill during the Nestle Invitational. I would have finished with a flashlight to post that score!!....LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is a little dead but heard a great comment last night that I just couldn't believe.

I'm at my usual range hitting some balls with these two guys behind me a few stalls down. They're hitting pitch shots about 40 yards when one turns to the other and says "you're doing it all wrong. You have to let the club hit the ground before the ball so that it can use the bounce and hit the ball into the air on the up swing. That's why it has bounce on the bottom"

The guy in front of me obviously heard it also and turned around, we looked at each other, both shrugged and went back to hitting balls. It's a shame as the guy was hitting pretty good shots before receiving that advice.

I was at the range yesterday and watched a fellow next to me hit off the mat. It was hard to watch because he tried scooping the ball off the mat, which is a very tight lie. His club's sole was hitting before the ball causing it to bounce up and not make decent contact at all with the ball. Balls were going anywhere and everywhere but where they should(shanks, topping, blading, etc). I felt bad for him because he couldn't figure it out. I'm not a great golfer, probably a 10 to 15 hc, but I chose not to say anything or try to help him, although I wanted to. I didn't want to encroach on his territory.

Funniest thing I think I've heard at the range is my own excited "What are you doing?....are you serious right now?".

There was a line of guys hitting off the grass. Pretty packed first warm day in awhile. Some Jackhat sets his bucket down about 20 yards behind the line. He catches my eye because he is taking a couple of swings kind of stretching out....figured he was waiting for a spot to open up. He then tees a ball up and starts lining up his driver to hit over the line of guys in front of him. Pretty much every guy on the line stopped what they were doing to look back at the perp.

Pretty sure I saved a life that day.

I like hearing long drive guys talk about their misses. always interesting

"I killed a dog once"

"Man me too, that sucks!"

"So how many windows have you broken?"

"Dunno I've lost count"

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

Funniest thing I think I've heard at the range is my own excited "What are you doing?....are you serious right now?".

There was a line of guys hitting off the grass. Pretty packed first warm day in awhile. Some Jackhat sets his bucket down about 20 yards behind the line. He catches my eye because he is taking a couple of swings kind of stretching out....figured he was waiting for a spot to open up. He then tees a ball up and starts lining up his driver to hit over the line of guys in front of him. Pretty much every guy on the line stopped what they were doing to look back at the perp.

Pretty sure I saved a life that day.

Is he trying to get a can of whoop a** opened on him, because that's how you get a can of whoop a** opened on you.

Ever?......Lanny Wadkins saying Johnny Miller was 13 under through 15 holes in a practice round and walked in because he was hungry....Won the tournament by like 8 or 10....LOL

When that happens brother I will be flying with you! It will be the one time I will be flying because I do not do the airplane thing

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

A friend of mine in the Confessions section of the 19th hole wanted me to post this one.

I had went to the thrift store one day and bought a hat. You can find brand new golf hats here for $1 all the time in the thrifts. got a brand new TM R-7 hat. Wore it to the range at my home course. Two tourist golfers were there decked out with all the latest and greatest stuff. One of them looked at me and said "Man a R-7 hat that is old old old" I looked at him and said you think that is old look in my bag there are 3 TM clubs in it older than a R-7 not counting the rest of my stuff as I pured my 35 year old Macgregor 8 iron

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

This isnt so much most ridiculous thing, instead its everything this certain guy ever says is ridiculous. Theres a range 37 seconds away from my house that I will spend a lot of time at just talking with people and watching guys hit. One guy always comes in with his mizuno mp4 irons, and always tells us hes working on shot shaping. He takes at least 150 swings as hard as he possibly can, with a vast assortment of finishes to according to him, shape shots. He has nothing in the bag but a high slice. We all get such a kick out of what hes telling us hes trying to do. He is dead serious that he thinks he is tour caliber. In reality he should be playing the easiest to hit irons on the planet, and just working on making solid contact.... All though he is a great guy and I play with him often.

There was a 12 year old boy that would show up at the course all the time, and he would chip and putt for hours around the practice greens. His mom would drop him off and leave him. The head pro didn't even know who the kid was when we asked. He just showed up one day and became a course rat for 5-6 months. He was a super nice young boy who really loved to hit balls and play. My buddies and I would throw him some balls we found on the course, or hand him a club that we grew tired of. We were all very fond of him, but we didn't know much about him at all.

He was really good around the green, and we would occasionally make some sort of chipping/putting contest for Cokes. (we never let him pay, but he got a lot of free cheese burgers)

His father showed up one day and started getting on his case about chipping technique. The father was being obnoxious, and very loud. This went on for 15-20 minutes. The "****** bag" actually told the boy that if he didn't listen to him, they would go home and put his clubs away until he listened. My buddies and I stayed to the far side of the practice green and avoided eye contact, but we saw that the kid was in tears. The kid asked his father if he could just chip with his friends ( us ).......and the "****** bag" told him to stay away from my friends and I. They eventually left, with the "****** bag" muttering at him all the way to the parking lot. I don't expect anyone to imagine this, but It was all I could do to keep a bunch a military guys from whooping the guys azz. They wanted to tear him apart.

We never saw the boy again after that.

Man, I was really hoping that story would end better. Like maybe yall adopted the kid and he grew up to be Brandt Snedeker.

Literally in tears about the Snedeker comment LOLOLOL

I saw someone hit consistantly 3 inches behind the ball into the turf.. He called it his ricochet shot.. the club would ricochet off the ground into the ball and give him straight long distance.

In all honesty, I know two guys with wicked slices who tend to get better results on slightly fat shots!

I saw someone hit consistantly 3 inches behind the ball into the turf.. He called it his ricochet shot.. the club would ricochet off the ground into the ball and give him straight long distance.

In all honesty, I know two guys with wicked slices who tend to get better results on slightly fat shots!

The Drop Kick!

Once overheard a a college age guy, who mentioned he was in his first year of the PGM program at Ferris State, talk about the lead tape that he had on his irons. Said to the other range goer he was having a conversation with that, "No, I don't but the lead tape on the iron heads for added weight or feel. I put it on because it legit adds 30 yards of carry. Thats why you see it all over the pro's clubs. You should try it."

Awesome. I once had somebody tell me he built a driver with a lead head on it. He said he generated monster drives with it :)

I believe an earlier poster put up something similar to this. However, the guy claimed that all PGA Tour guys hit behind the ball.