Winter hoing has began already........oh no

Gbyeball

reading these posts really makes me chuckle. makes me feel better that most here are in the same boat. whats different is the seasons we here in florida play /dont play. golf isnt as much fun in 95+ deg heat so i lay off in summer and play ALL winter in cool comfortable temps(or at least tolarable) i find my sefl hoing more while i am playing. cant wait to try new things out etc

73 hogan apex

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1385746722' post='8225168']
I can't begin to imagine how touh it would be to live in a climate where I can't golf in winter. I get withdrawal if I miss one week. I would bean outta control ho too if I had to wait that long between games.
[/quote]

Its brutal here in Northern NJ from now until the end of March. Unless you dont mind swinging in winter clothes at 28 degrees, which in my opinion hurts your game more than helps.

You guys are great and are now making me feel abnormal for using the same irons the last 6 seasons, lol.

New York Jets

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1385786999' post='8227422']
You guys need to pick up a winter hobby; something other than golf. I'm a skier, so needless to say with the early arrival of winter, I'm positively giddy! Last winter, I bought a new driver on-line during the Black Friday madness. It was April before I go a chance to hit it for real out of doors. That pretty much sucked, so I vowed to steer clear of all the deals that are out there in golf equipment right now. Who knows, my mind could be in a completely different place by next spring. In the mean time, I will direct my spending towards something I'm going to actually make use of in the next few months. Even my wife has not only been supportive, but helpful in feeding the beast! ;)
[/quote]

The problem with skiing is in the off season I tended to look for deals on better skis. There is no way out...

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

I have winter hobbies, skiing, ice fishing and a few other things. Nothing is addictive as golf, here we are buying clubs when we cannot use them, PeanutsDaddy is playing sim golf once a week, guys have nets in their garage. It is a seroius sickness and we love it.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

I hate to be the bearer of "bad news" but winter doesn't officially start until December 21. Just saying...

Anyway there's no doubt that cold weather, boredom and Ebay can be a bad combination. I'm as guilty as anyone, and am always watching something on the Bay.

I have to use self discipline and tell myself I don't need new stuff; that I need to "thin the herd."

Then I realize my used stuff isn't worth as much as I paid for it. Thus I don't sell much...

...and eventually log back onto the Bay and do more hunting :busted2:

Usually I can last until January or February before I start itching to buy new stuff.But as of about 15 minutes ago,I sent a email to doglegright for info on a new Machine putter.This is going to be a expensive winter. :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Winter Hoing is the worst. I buy new clubs or rebuild clubs in the hope I get a break in the weather. It's like an Indian rain dance. So my last round was Oct 30th and I've bought a new 3 wood and 2 hybrid. I've also regripped all my clubs and cut my irons down to standard length. And pulled a Callaway tip off a fairway shaft just I case I don't like the shaft in the 3 wood I just bought.

How much more do I have to do to get 40* and sunny around here?

Ping G 9* - Oban Devotion
Wilson Staff D200 - Elements Chrome
Adams Speedline LP - Matrix Radix
Ping S55 5-PW - KBS Tour V
Ping Glide 50.56 - CFS
Seemore Si5

Even if I don't have any clubs I need/want to buy, I still end up buying stuff. Like last year, I remember in the dead on winter, January, a blizzard going on outside, I can barely see out of my driveway for the snow piles and I take a drive to Golftown. I end up buying a bag of tees. I mean, what the hell am I going to do with a bag of tees when golf is still 2 1/2 months away?

As for taking up other hobbies in the winter, it would only become the same thing with that. I'd start ho'ing bowling balls or hockey sticks or whatever hobby I started.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1385819746' post='8227956']
I have winter hobbies, skiing, ice fishing and a few other things. Nothing is addictive as golf, here we are buying clubs when we cannot use them, PeanutsDaddy is playing sim golf once a week, guys have nets in their garage. It is a seroius sickness and we love it.
[/quote]

I'm fortunate to have a regular playing partner as 'sick' as I am and this website (and it's members) will sustain me. I do wish sim golf wasn't so pricey because I'd be their more often. A few goals over the winter: decide on a set-up for the spring and commit to it; maintain some semblance of a game so I don't start 4 months behind as always. I have a number of hobbies, I'm the most passionate about this one.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='freddyottawa' timestamp='1385827857' post='8228438']
Even if I don't have any clubs I need/want to buy, I still end up buying stuff. Like last year, I remember in the dead on winter, January, a blizzard going on outside, I can barely see out of my driveway for the snow piles and I take a drive to Golftown. I end up buying a bag of tees. I mean, what the hell am I going to do with a bag of tees when golf is still 2 1/2 months away?

As for taking up other hobbies in the winter, it would only become the same thing with that. I'd start ho'ing bowling balls or hockey sticks or whatever hobby I started.
[/quote]

My man from Ottawa, God you made me laugh. A bag of tees, something I would and have done.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1385745784' post='8225104']
I was so proud of myself for playing the same clubs all this past season. I have officaly fallen off the wagon.

It all started with Golftowns demo sale at the begining of November. I resisted going into one of the stores for almost a week. I ended up going in finding an x hot pro 20* hybrid which I bought played a round with and loved it. So I had to go back and buy the x hot pro 4 wood. Played that, too fade bias for me so back it went for full refund. All is good just bought a hybrid thats not so bad.

Ebay got me. I do like the x hot look and feel so I scored a killer deal last week on a x hot non pro 4 wood. There is snow on the ground all courses are closed so hit it in the dome, very nice, happy happy.

As of last night I am now the proud owner of a non pro x hot driver 9.5 with a diamana blue board shaft for another great price (3 balls got more of my money on ebay). So it is not even December and I am already out of control. I can see this happening in February from sheer bordedom but not now, not already. I blame it on snow coming so soon this year, it certainly isn't the fact I am weak and powerless. Well maybe a little

Any other of my cold climate cousins going down the same road yet???
[/quote]

I am so glad my HOing has subsided.. I didn't even go into a golf store this past weekend with all the sales.
Miss the new club feeling but don't miss the club carousel

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

KjBowenWRX

I truly enjoyed your thread about stopping hoing. I basically did that this year and it was nice to feel comfortable and familiar with want you are swiniging.

Everytime I was tempted to buy some I would I ask myself.........what would KjB do :cheesy:
:cheesy:. That obviously lost it's power.

I was the biggest iron ho and I didn't buy any irons so there is still hope of pulling out of this spiral

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1385831067' post='8228666']
[quote name='freddyottawa' timestamp='1385827857' post='8228438']

[/quote]

My man from Ottawa, God you made me laugh. A bag of tees, something I would and have done.
[/quote]

I'm glad i'm not the only one!

Once I buy the irons though, I should be done. Maybe i'll look at driver shafts but I have to fix my swing first, i've developed a pretty ugly slice with the driver it seems, it wasn't pretty on the LM when I looked at it. It gives me something to concentrate on fixing over the winter if nothing else.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
Ball - TF Gamer

endless trips to GT
im there every other day, looking at nothing

well today I did price out some S55's .... didnt pull the trigger tho
I currently have 2 sets of irons & 2 drivers im trying to get rid of
I have a few ideas im pondering, but havent pulled the trigger just yet

also waggled the SLDR's today .... that 3w looks incredible

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1385845337' post='8229500']
endless trips to GT
im there every other day, looking at nothing

well today I did price out some S55's .... didnt pull the trigger tho
I currently have 2 sets of irons & 2 drivers im trying to get rid of
I have a few ideas im pondering, but havent pulled the trigger just yet

also waggled the SLDR's today .... that 3w looks incredible
[/quote]

Thinking I may place my order for the 55's today on the way to the indoor golf centre, we shall see.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
Ball - TF Gamer

I'm feeling pretty good about this. I even cleared my watchlist on eBay earlier today. In fact, I'm feeling so good about it, I plan on selling a full bag of clubs next spring at my local club's annual swap meet! I'll still have enough odds and ends to get by with, without having to buy a thing. It just might prove interesting to have to adapt and make do with a miss matched set.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The biggest reason I buy any clubs this time of year is because of the low prices. If prices stayed the same I doubt I'd buy anything during the off season.

Golf season ended mid October in my area, by early November nothing golf-related sells unless it is heavily discounted.

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1385833738' post='8228812']
KjBowenWRX

I truly enjoyed your thread about stopping hoing. I basically did that this year and it was nice to feel comfortable and familiar with want you are swiniging.

Everytime I was tempted to buy some I would I ask myself.........what would KjB do :cheesy:
:cheesy:. That obviously lost it's power.

I was the biggest iron ho and I didn't buy any irons so there is still hope of pulling out of this spiral
[/quote]

Love it!!

I am surprised how easy this has been...
But
With temps down and limited golf it has been easier.. I'm sure once my tourney season starts this will be harder for me to resist.

I liked the comment above about clearing the eBay watch list .. Mine is fille with all my kids Xmas wants and desires.
Just went out on Black Friday and bought 4 damn sets of beats headphones. I know the kids love these headphones but really. That much money for headphones..

Oh yea.. I bought myself a pair haha
They look and sound sweet and at 110.00 door buster.. I had to

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

I normally don't change clubs very often. However, I'm deployed and haven't touched my clubs in over 3 months and got the flippin' itch. I bought a Cobra Amp Cell driver which I've never hit (the price was sweet) and two days later decided I'd buy a 2/3 Cobra Amp Cell hybrid...again, never hit one but it was a great deal. Now I will have clubs showing up at my house, much to my wife's chagrin. Hopefully they will still be there when I get home in early 2014!

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2

My bag always gets a complete make over in the winter usually with Titleist only but a sldr has creeped in this yer but once the season starts I never even consider changing anything.

2017 Tour issue M2 9.5 Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
2016 Tour issue M2 15 Tensei Pro Blue 80 TX
Titelst T-MB 2 Tour Issue AMT X100
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-9 KBS C Taper 130 X
48 SM6 Tour KBS C Taper 130 X
54,60 SM6 w/ Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport 2 Button Back

[quote name='jslatts14' timestamp='1385904380' post='8232262']
My bag always gets a complete make over in the winter usually with Titleist only but a sldr has creeped in this yer but once the season starts I never even consider changing anything.
[/quote]Famous last words of a Golf WRXer?! :cheesy:

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1385745784' post='8225104']
I was so proud of myself for playing the same clubs all this past season. I have officaly fallen off the wagon.

It all started with Golftowns demo sale at the begining of November. I resisted going into one of the stores for almost a week. I ended up going in finding an x hot pro 20* hybrid which I bought played a round with and loved it. So I had to go back and buy the x hot pro 4 wood. Played that, too fade bias for me so back it went for full refund. All is good just bought a hybrid thats not so bad.

Ebay got me. I do like the x hot look and feel so I scored a killer deal last week on a x hot non pro 4 wood. There is snow on the ground all courses are closed so hit it in the dome, very nice, happy happy.

As of last night I am now the proud owner of a non pro x hot driver 9.5 with a diamana blue board shaft for another great price (3 balls got more of my money on ebay). So it is not even December and I am already out of control. I can see this happening in February from sheer bordedom but not now, not already. I blame it on snow coming so soon this year, it certainly isn't the fact I am weak and powerless. Well maybe a little

Any other of my cold climate cousins going down the same road yet???
[/quote]

Oh, I'm sorry. That was the end of your story?
Welcome to my world.

Cobra Ltdx LS 10.5. 

M3 3HL

cobra tec 2 and 4 hybrids
Cobra mim tour
PXG Forged wedges
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1385746652' post='8225158']
Dude. My bag will seriously change 3 times this winter and I just bought a whole new top of the bag. It's crazy. But when it's cold and you can't play. I just buy..... Crap.
[/quote]

I'm guilty of this as well

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*
Adams Super XTD 19*
Mizuno H4 21*
Taylormade TP MB 4-PW
Bettinardi Kuchar 1 - 35"
Titleist Vokey 54, 58, 62*

[quote name='forgedforever' timestamp='1385820165' post='8227974']
I hate to be the bearer of "bad news" but winter doesn't officially start until December 21. Just saying...

Anyway there's no doubt that cold weather, boredom and Ebay can be a bad combination. I'm as guilty as anyone, and am always watching something on the Bay.

I have to use self discipline and tell myself I don't need new stuff; that I need to "thin the herd."

Then I realize my used stuff isn't worth as much as I paid for it. Thus I don't sell much...

...and eventually log back onto the Bay and do more hunting :busted2:
[/quote]

Going to be a high of -3 here this Saturday. Not to mention the low of -19 Friday night. Don't know bout you...but that's some serious winter to me. Having said that, I'm seriously thinking of giving the Ping Tour Gorge wedges a shot...

This winters ho count.

4 wedges (scratch 8620)
Ping i20 driver and 3 wood
SC Monterey 1.5

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

So far I have
RBZ tour three wood
910D2
910f 4 wood
Scotty studio select 2.7
2 mizuno fli his
Callaway three deep
R11 7 wood
2 project x tour issue shafts
And I'm trying to sell my TM MC irons so I can get some new ones! Hopefully some s56's or j40 cb!

910D3 9.5 Fubuki K 70x
910F Aldila RIP x
Taylormade SLDR 21* stiff
Carousel of irons
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 1.5
Vokey SM5 Raw Black 52F 56M 60L

Ah man I have a load of sympathy for my fellow Canucks. Two years in Quebec was enough (more than, much more than) to gain a real appreciation for how much you have to enjoy the game to make a go at being good at it, living along the St. Lawrence. I didn't touch a club my whole time there. Of course had I not transfered here, I'd never found this forum and saved a shedload of money by not hoing, lol.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.