2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PING Ketsch (2014 putter)

ShortSticks

Silly question: Just to confirm...the standard length version (non counter balanced) doesn't have such a weight in the butt end of the shaft, does it?

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1398382101' post='9164261']
Silly question: Just to confirm...the standard length version (non counter balanced) doesn't have such a weight in the butt end of the shaft, does it?
[/quote]

You are correct. I have a 35" Ketsch that I just switched from the standard Ping midsize grip (that weighs around 80 grams) to a 60 gram Superstroke Slim 3.0 with a 50-gram Tour Lock weight installed in the butt of the shaft. I ground down the protruding edges of the Tour Lock weight so that I could install the grip over the weight instead of cutting a hole in the cap of the grip. Even though the grip+weight weighs 30 grams more than the original grip, the putter swingweights at a very solid E-2 while still producing increased stability in the hands through some degree of counterweighting. I only grip down a couple of inches on the club so it's not as much of a counter-weighted effect as a 38" shaft would provide, but I like the distance control and overall club balance much better than with a longer putter.

SDL

[quote name='Doucer' timestamp='1398029069' post='9132021']
[quote name='Golfwolf' timestamp='1397977601' post='9129291']
I was in Golf Town yesterday and saw the Ketsch, I had to give it a roll. I liked the look, the weight (355 grams), feel and sound was also to my liking. I rolled 10 putts from approx. 30' to 3 different hole locations and made 6/10, the other missed by inches. I have made quite a few changes recently to my bag and told myself that buying another putter in 2014 was not going to happen but I can see a Ketsch in my future.
[/quote]

Man, don't you know that all those Golf Town greens are sloped toward the hole?? No matter what putter I try, I never miss at Golf Town either. :crazy:
[/quote]

Definitely some are but it is still possible to miss, at least for me.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

[quote name='Golfwolf' timestamp='1398505353' post='9174331']
[quote name='Doucer' timestamp='1398029069' post='9132021']
[quote name='Golfwolf' timestamp='1397977601' post='9129291']
I was in Golf Town yesterday and saw the Ketsch, I had to give it a roll. I liked the look, the weight (355 grams), feel and sound was also to my liking. I rolled 10 putts from approx. 30' to 3 different hole locations and made 6/10, the other missed by inches. I have made quite a few changes recently to my bag and told myself that buying another putter in 2014 was not going to happen but I can see a Ketsch in my future.
[/quote]

Man, don't you know that all those Golf Town greens are sloped toward the hole?? No matter what putter I try, I never miss at Golf Town either. :crazy:
[/quote]

Definitely some are but it is still possible to miss, at least for me.
[/quote]

I tried the Ketsch again yesterday and still liked it until I found something I liked a whole lot more. See sig. below, it may take a while to adjust to the longer length but everything is good so far.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

I am considering swamping the standard ping grip (58 grams) of my fixed length and putting on the SS Claw grip (100 grams). I have a slight arm lock style and like to choke down on the putter so the extra length of the Claw would give me the proper room for my hands... I am concerned what affect the increased grip weight will have though. Any tried this, or have any thoughts?

[quote name='AndrewGasp' timestamp='1398694849' post='9186505']
I am considering swamping the standard ping grip (58 grams) of my fixed length and putting on the SS Claw grip (100 grams). I have a slight arm lock style and like to choke down on the putter so the extra length of the Claw would give me the proper room for my hands... I am concerned what affect the increased grip weight will have though. Any tried this, or have any thoughts?
[/quote]

on a stanfard putter 10-15 grams not much of a feel diff IMO, but 40 grams is a diff and the head is going to feel lighter which will effect your control. it would not be a bad idea to add 3-4 inches to your shaft and add on a SS 17" grip. this will make it more counterbalance and raise the balance pint.

but on a reg 35: putter you will feel a dif. i did the same thing,

I put a black widow finisher putter grip that weighed 102 on my pig nome and i loved the feel. felt slightly counter balanced. not i am putting on a SS Flatso which is only 60 grams so adding a counter weight int he shaft to keep the same feel.

- Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke - Graphic Design Tour AD UB

- 3 Wood: Callaway Ai Smoke  - Graphic Design Tour AD UB

- 17deg Hybrid: Ping G425 - OBAN Kiyoshi White

- 21deg Hybrid: Tour Edge C723 - OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

- Irons: Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-AW - Accra iSteel Shafts

- Wedges: Vokey SM9 54 & 58deg - Accra iSteel Wedge Shafts

- Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 (2022)

- Ball: Taylormade TP5

[quote name='mmaloney23' timestamp='1398947655' post='9209941']
[quote name='AndrewGasp' timestamp='1398694849' post='9186505']
[/quote]

on a stanfard putter 10-15 grams not much of a feel diff IMO, but 40 grams is a diff and the head is going to feel lighter which will effect your control. it would not be a bad idea to add 3-4 inches to your shaft and add on a SS 17" grip. this will make it more counterbalance and raise the balance pint.

but on a reg 35: putter you will feel a dif. i did the same thing,

I put a black widow finisher putter grip that weighed 102 on my pig nome and i loved the feel. felt slightly counter balanced. not i am putting on a SS Flatso which is only 60 grams so adding a counter weight int he shaft to keep the same feel.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback... I am expecting it make the head feel lighter (more counterbalanced) and am fine with that... worst case if I totally hate it I will strip off the SS an put a standard grip back on.

i love the feel of my nome tr when i put the 102 gram grip on it. i felt a lot of control that i liked.

- Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke - Graphic Design Tour AD UB

- 3 Wood: Callaway Ai Smoke  - Graphic Design Tour AD UB

- 17deg Hybrid: Ping G425 - OBAN Kiyoshi White

- 21deg Hybrid: Tour Edge C723 - OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

- Irons: Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-AW - Accra iSteel Shafts

- Wedges: Vokey SM9 54 & 58deg - Accra iSteel Wedge Shafts

- Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 (2022)

- Ball: Taylormade TP5

As I said in my earlier post, I replaced the standard 80 gr. grip on my 35" Ketsch with a 60 gr SS 3.0 and an additional 50 gr weight in the butt of the shaft. The club now swingweights at E-2 even with the 30 extra grams in the shaft and no shaft extension, so the head doesn't feel too light with that amount of counterbalancing. Lengthening the shaft a few inches might make it easier to use an arm-lock style grip but will make the swingweight even higher (roughly 6 sw points per additional inch) unless you add more weight to the butt. That is easy enough to do, but if you add a lot more weight, it's going to start to feel like the Tank putter, which is a bit too heavy for my preference - especially for accurate lag putting.

SDL

I called TGW and asked when they would be shipping the Counterbalanced Adjustable version of the Ping Ketsch putter and they said 5/30/2014.

If you have the non counterbalanced version of this putter, did you find it to feel too light?

Did you replace the ping grip with a Superstroke grip?

Are you sorry you did not wait for the counterbalanced version?

If you have not purchased the putter yet are you going to wait till 5/30/14 when they become available?

I do have the non CB version and stock the weight is fine, a little lighter I don't think will bother me. I switched from an Odyssey #2 center shafted which feels much lighter to me so a little lighter on the Ketsch will be fine with me. As for the grip I have not swapped it yet, I am in Canada and the Claw grip is very hard to find. I had to special order it from Golf Town so I am waiting for it to show up still... once I get it one and knock a few puts I'll let you know.

As for not waiting for the counterbalanced, no I am not sorry. I am not in love with the adjustable shaft used by Ping, just can't get accustomed to the little metal adjustment ball. The fixed length CB will be 38" which is too long for me... I like 35" and then I choke down about 2 - 3" so really I am gripping at 32-33 inches. Having the standard model and then putting the longer heavier grip on will let me choke down and will counterbalance it out (although not perfect/exact CB) which I think will be fine for me.

SS has a 17" belly grip that is lighter, I believe 85 grams so I could have used that and the effect of the heavier grip likely would be minimal, however, putting a 15" grip on a 35" putter seemed too much to me (just a taste thing) as the grip would been half the length of the putter.

If you buy the fixed CB version at 35" can it be shortened?
I normally play my putters around 31" and still tend to choke down a good inch or two. Traditional heads start feeling really light to me at that length. So I really like the thought of the 400g head.

I asked ping if I could order the adjustable CB 2" short (so 29"-36" range ) and they told me no because it would violate PGA rules. Guess it was submitted at 31-38".

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1399217962' post='9229219']
If you buy the fixed CB version at 35" can it be shortened?[/quote]

You could but it will take some work to get it to play how it was intended. The CB version has a 50 gram weight epoxied into the butt of the shaft. I am not sure how deep the Ping weight is, so I am not sure how far down it would have to be cut. In other words, if the Ping weight is 2" tall/deep, you would have to cut down the putter to at least 33". If the Ping stock weight is 4" deep, you would have to cut down the putter to 31", etc. You would then have to buy an after market weight, such as a Tour Lock Pro with the correct weight to replace the Ping weight. Otherwise you will lose the CB effect.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

Patiently waiting for my Ketsch putter. I got fitted by Ping when they were in Fort Worth at Leonard's Golf 3 weeks ago. They are saying it could be 10 days or more before they are ready. I was told backed up with the milling department in Phoenix. I ordered a 2 degree flat straight back model, adjustable shaft - non counterbalance. This wait is killing me.

What's In My Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS3 - Tensei Blue Stiff
3W - Titleist TS2 - Kuro Cage Stiff
3H - Titleist 818 H2 - 19 - Tensei Blue Stiff
4H - Titleist 818 H2 - 21 - Tensei Blue Stiff
5i - 48 Gap - Titleist 718 AP3
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 53 S Grind & 58 M Grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5M
Bag - Titleist Players 5 Stand bag
Ball - Titleist AVX
Glove - FootJoy Rain Glove
Watch - Apple Watch 2nd Generation with The Grint App, Shot Scope V2
Laser - Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt
ClicGear 3.5+ - Blued Out!
======================================
The Grint - Club Chairman / Grint Tour Director - North Texas

How long did you have to wait?

What's In My Bag:

Ball - Titleist AVX

I finally got mine yesterday right before the round. Didn't even try it on thee practice green. In fact I was on the first green and took the head cover off and the plastic wrapper was still on. Haha. Tend to leave a few short around on with this. I putted great with it for the first time out.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I had the opportunity to try a Ketsch today. It is really great. I've been struggling with my putting lately and I was surprised how good the test went. Every single ball finished in the hole or no more than 4 inches of it.

From all the putters I tried, the Ketsch was the best BUT the price was [b]$360![/b] :WTF:

Other Pings were no more that $200... Definitively, I'll wait until the fever is gone

Got the new grip installed on Friday (SS the Claw) the extra weight at the top due to the new grip (no weights added) on the stock 35" version has made the head feel a touch lighter and to me that makes this putter perfect for me now... again with the choke down grip I use the putter feels amazing. I am oozing confidence with this thing, fairly certain I will never miss another putt.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='maxfli985' timestamp='1400678616' post='9338559']
i ordered this putter 2 weeks ago...was told today it's on 7 week back order. This putter better be awesome or I'll be disappointed!
[/quote]

Finally got to the course yesterday, hit some balls and went to the practice green, made first two from ~ 11' other two right past the hole, all putts close to the hole, 6' an d under super deadly, a lot better than my anser 5 milled, which was great, it's worth the wait and you will not be disappointed!! Which version did you order? Mine is conventional.

I tried the Ping Ketsch in a 36 length. I noticed on the Ping App that the standard non adjustable counterbalanced length is 38.

I thought the 36 length was ok but thought that the 38 length might give more of a counterbalance effect.

The shop I was out did not have the 38 length.

Which length did you think was better for counter balancing 36 or 38?

[quote name='PingPoncho' timestamp='1400776420' post='9347459']
I tried the Ping Ketsch in a 36 length. I noticed on the Ping App that the standard non adjustable counterbalanced length is 38.

I thought the 36 length was ok but thought that the 38 length might give more of a counterbalance effect.

The shop I was out did not have the 38 length.

Which length did you think was better for counter balancing 36 or 38?
[/quote]

You should go fir the adjustable. Then you dont have to use the 17 inch grip. The adjustable counterbalance grip is a pingman classic.

[quote name='Pingfitz' timestamp='1400690047' post='9339991']
[quote name='maxfli985' timestamp='1400678616' post='9338559']
i ordered this putter 2 weeks ago...was told today it's on 7 week back order. This putter better be awesome or I'll be disappointed!
[/quote]

Finally got to the course yesterday, hit some balls and went to the practice green, made first two from ~ 11' other two right past the hole, all putts close to the hole, 6' an d under super deadly, a lot better than my anser 5 milled, which was great, it's worth the wait and you will not be disappointed!! Which version did you order? Mine is conventional.
[/quote]

i ordered 34' slight arc....i'm very excited about it...but impatient! good to hear the distance control is good. I have the anser 5 too and love it from all over the green. I just wanted to see a little more help around 10 feet and in.

I ordered mine five weeks ago this coming Saturday. I talked to my pro and he said Ping told him it would ship out on Friday and I would have it next week. I got the adjustable shaft, non-counter balance 2 degrees flat. I so can't wait.

What's In My Bag:

Ball - Titleist AVX

[quote name='Neurotica' timestamp='1397762363' post='9113507']
I have drank the Ketsch Koolaid as well. Tested everything at Golfsmith for an hour - in the end it won hands down, cant miss from 6' and in. Got the straight version. Now my bag is set for the year!
[/quote]
I tried the Ketsch in straight version for almost an hour, simple wonderful, so easy to align and control, it feels great while swinging it. But I couldn't have my Koolaid because it was the demo of the Ping rep. I must wait until the shipment arrives to the store, so I'm in the first in the wait list.