We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Thrift Store Jackpot

Juice__25 ·  
Juice__25Juice__25  828Members Posts: 828
Never thought it would happen to me!! How am I explaining this to the girl friend? I have no idea. 53 golf clubs. 53 freaking clubs.

Macgregor VIP 2-10

Mizuno Grad Mp 3-9

Hogan Apex 3-E

4 Cleveland wedges

3 Titleist wedges

3 TP Mills

3 bullseyes

Some other miscellaneous

And 9 count them 9 ping putters.

And Finally a Titleist 983E

I can post more pictures if y'all want as I clean them up.

Posted:

Comments

• yaquigrandeyaquigrande Yaqui Grande  255Members Posts: 255
    Holy Cow man!!!! Jackpot!!! that is insane!!! Man it has been a good week for a lot of us. to find some VIP's though that is crazy, and check out those Mizunos! Congrats man! I found a set of macgregor tourneys, Louisville grand slams, and First flight Gary players. Havn't been able to find much at all before. So I always bought at play it again and ebay. This was a good week for the thrift stores!
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • VinceFurnierVinceFurnier  345Members Posts: 345
    Nice haul! You found an old man ho's stash. Let's see those Mills . Congrats on the thrift score.
    Posted:
    droolin over those Mizunos I have never seen those before! too cool.
    Posted:
  • MitchellMitchell  5585Members Posts: 5,585
    Calling dibs on the BeCu Zing2 now! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> played one for years- some seriously solid acquisitions there!

Also played an 8.5* E and Mizuno Grad MP for a bit back in the day, thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    Posted:
    Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Speeder TS Evo 661
    Taylormade V Steel TP 13* ATX Tour Blue 85
    Taylormade V Steel 16.5* ATX Tour Blue 85
    Titleist 818h1 21* Atmos Blue TS HB 8
    Titleist 962b 2-pw s400 (dependent upon course, hybrid and fairways used)
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54* s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 60* s400
    Odyssey White Hot Pro #2
  • ShallowfaceShallowface  1494Members Posts: 1,494
    Juice__25 wrote:

I can post more pictures if y'all want as I clean them up.

We all want!
    Posted:
  • Juice__25Juice__25  828Members Posts: 828
    TPM 12: May go ahead and strip completely.

TPM Gold Spalding 1. Not sure.

Third one is actually not a TPM but a Frank Strazza, Snead played a Strazza, correct?
    Posted:

Advertisement
    VIP 2-10. 9 looked like his practice iron, good amount of wear, but really all in useable condition.
    Posted:
  • oldschoolrockeroldschoolrocker  5096Members Posts: 5,096
    There's gold in them there hills!!! Just have to listen to that still small voice when it tells you to turn into the parking lot.
    Posted:
    Apex with 4 Shafts. 3-E, but the E is actually a BH Grind. Maybe a replacement club for the original owner?

Posted:
  • birly-shirlybirly-shirly  3247Members Posts: 3,247
    Outstanding haul! 2 x all-time classic sets of irons. The TPM 12 brings back a few memories.
    Posted:
    Those hogans are sweet! The shiny back ones like mine. I think 75 or 76. I think the frosted back ones are 73,s. Thanks for posting all the great pics
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jonnygrouvillejonnygrouville  1166Members Posts: 1,166
    Haulage. Great stuff. Very happy for you...

...you lucky ba$tard.

Do not know how to do the smileys, as you can tell.

Posted:
  • vrnynvrnyn Canada 319Members Posts: 319
    Unreal haul there, congrats! VIPs don't get nearly the love they deserve IMO.
    Posted:
    M5 9.0* 
    915d 18*
    915d 21*
    716 AP2 4&5
    714 CB 6-P
    SM7 52-F,56-S
    SM6 60-K
    Futura X5
  • scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UK 1578Members Posts: 1,578
    Mizunos look like the tpz forged that I once had.....same in everything looking at the picture except mine had red writing. They were a great set of sticks, and boy you've found a jackpot there!!!!
    Posted:
  • ArafelArafel  4278Members Posts: 4,278
    A few years ago I sold a BeCu Zing2 putter on ebay for over $100. Nice grab.
    Posted:
  • rex235rex235  4045ClubWRX Posts: 4,045
    Juice__25 wrote:

Apex with 4 Shafts. 3-E, but the E is actually a BH Grind. Maybe a replacement club for the original owner?

Juice-

One of the Finds of the Year! Simply Outstanding!

MacGregor VIPs 2-10 with Split Level soles- These VIP by MacGregor irons were the first iron sets that Don White ground for MacGregor, under Art Emersons tutelage.

George Archer once said the 9 iron was the perfect club to groove your golf swing....

Ben Hogan Apex Irons 3-E, with Apex 4 shafts -Hoganistas are already fainting! Am still looking for a LH Apex Equalizer Wedge from this era- Have seen over 100 RH ones.

The original Equalizer wedge from the set may have been lost, damaged, or simply worn out.

The Mizuno Grads were a forged cavity back to compete with the Hogan Edges. Notah Begay had a set when he was playing for Stanford in '95.

Sadly, RH Only. Later on, Mizuno offered the MP-19s, but never had any plans to make a LH Grad model.

And the PINGs.......the PINGs.......the PINGs...... (these would qualify as a Stash.)

It does appear someone had quite a golf club collection from the early '70s, but chose not to sell them.

Sadly, we'll never know.

53 Clubs......Choose Wisely.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BIG STUBIG STU  12090Members Posts: 12,090
    Nice haul all the way around there especially the Macs of course you know I would say that
    Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Old Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch Red Regular
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Ping Zing 60* Stock Ping shaft
    Putter 1997 Scotty Santa Fe rusty as heck named "Rusty

• Jay_scottJay_scott  168Members Posts: 168
    What a find. Best I have found was an old beat up vokey.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 9.6°
    Cobra Baffler T rail 15°
    Titleist 714 Ap1 3-48°W
    Cleveland rtx 2.0 cb 52,58,64
    Odyssey WHP 2 ball or Odyssey versa no. 7
  • HoganApexBladesHoganApexBlades ...Be the ball, Be the ball Danny...  2020Members Posts: 2,020
    Juice - Congrats on a most excellent find! You got the club ho'ing jackpot on this find. I wonder if someone's widow or soon to be EX decided to get rid of "ALL THOSE GOLF CLUBS that you never play with"...
    Posted:
    CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS
  • ZachilroyZachilroy  149Members Posts: 149
    This thread had me cracking up, what an unbelievable find! The Hoganistas are already fainting! Haha. Pretty new to golf myself but the bug has bitten hard, I certainly see myself cobbling together a vintage set for kicks as I get better. Even stopped into a goodwill after seeing these threads but no luck. Only an old beat up Slazenger bag. Did grab some polos but no sticks. I'm particularly interested in what it's like to hit persimmons as I never have. Thanks for the inspiration and congrats.
    Posted:
    2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* / UST Elements Chrome S
    2016 Taylormade TP M1 3W 15* / Fujikura Speeder 757 TP S
    Taylormade R15 5W 19* / Fujikura Speeder 757 S
    Taylormade M3 4-9 / DG  XP100 S300
    Titleist Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58* / DG Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Zachilroy wrote:

This thread had me cracking up, what an unbelievable find! The Hoganistas are already fainting! Haha. Pretty new to golf myself but the bug has bitten hard, I certainly see myself cobbling together a vintage set for kicks as I get better. Even stopped into a goodwill after seeing these threads but no luck. Only an old beat up Slazenger bag. Did grab some polos but no sticks. I'm particularly interested in what it's like to hit persimmons as I never have. Thanks for the inspiration and congrats.

Great to see a younger guy get interested in classic and vintage golf. Just keep an eye out, you'll find something.

Nothing like hitting one actually on the screws!!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Ross RogersRoss Rogers  162Members Posts: 162
    Nice Haul. I actually still have a set of those Mizuno MP Grads. I also have many of those putters. Loved the My Day putter. My buddy still games a TP 12. It's his Billy Baroo.
    Posted:
    2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 52
    2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 56
    2018 Taylormade Milled Grind 60
    2005 King Cobra Baffler Hybrid 20
    2017 Callaway GBB Epic 3W 13.5 +1
    2014 Ping G-30 10.5
    2018 Titleist Stay Dry Bag
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green Michigan 4569Members Posts: 4,569
    WELL DONE JUICE!! That's a fantastic haul. Never have had to use a shopping cart before to transport a haul outside. LOL. Yet. First class acquisitions. Yes, the pic of the '72 Hogans did give me a slight case of the vapors this morning. Looks like they've been reshafted, hosel pins are gone on all but one. No matter, makes it easier to put in a preferred set of shafts if those are not acceptable. Instant putter collection, love it.

The scroungers around here know and what I keep saying. Got to put in your time looking. Lots of misses. Then all of a sudden, they're they are. Quality classic clubs, just waiting for someone to pick them up on the cheap. Have a feeling Juice, this may not be your last time hitting the thrifts. Once bitten, hard to stop. If someone asks, "What are you looking for?" Just say, "Don't know for sure, but I know it when I see it."

As for the GF explanation, you're on your own. Only one bit of advice (when dealing with the Mrs. under similar circumstances) is not to hide anything. I learned that lesson awhile back. Better to be above board, tell her that you found a bunch of really nice golf clubs on the cheap. They HAD to be acquired. It was your charitable obligation. Always telling the Mrs. that I'm going to sell some off for profit. As the inventory continues to grow.

Don't forget to scan the clothing aisles also, same situation is in effect. Never know what you'll find there. Couple of days ago, no clubs. But did find a like new Zero Restriction Gore-Tex pullover for $10 and a "fancy dan" Peter Millar golf shirt for $6. Couple of weeks prior, a McGregor Tourney Gore-Tex rain suit for $12. My golf apparel is most definitely from the Thrift Store Collection these days.
    Posted:
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • Dan42nepaDan42nepa  458Members Posts: 458
    Nice I found a complete set of Copperhead berrillylium irons 2-sw yesterday. They were stiff shaft and left handers so i got them for my friend.. 15.00
    Posted:
  • KYMARKYMAR  13257Members Posts: 13,257
    If it was asked and Answered I missed it. Riding in the car. What was The damage for all 53?

We know your absolutely scored so fess up!
    Posted:
    Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
    Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
    Hybrid undecided
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck

WELL DONE JUICE!! That's a fantastic haul. Never have had to use a shopping cart before to transport a haul outside. LOL. Yet. First class acquisitions. Yes, the pic of the '72 Hogans did give me a slight case of the vapors this morning. Looks like they've been reshafted, hosel pins are gone on all but one. No matter, makes it easier to put in a preferred set of shafts if those are not acceptable. Instant putter collection, love it.

The scroungers around here know and what I keep saying. Got to put in your time looking. Lots of misses. Then all of a sudden, they're they are. Quality classic clubs, just waiting for someone to pick them up on the cheap. Have a feeling Juice, this may not be your last time hitting the thrifts. Once bitten, hard to stop. If someone asks, "What are you looking for?" Just say, "Don't know for sure, but I know it when I see it."

As for the GF explanation, you're on your own. Only one bit of advice (when dealing with the Mrs. under similar circumstances) is not to hide anything. I learned that lesson awhile back. Better to be above board, tell her that you found a bunch of really nice golf clubs on the cheap. They HAD to be acquired. It was your charitable obligation. Always telling the Mrs. that I'm going to sell some off for profit. As the inventory continues to grow.

Don't forget to scan the clothing aisles also, same situation is in effect. Never know what you'll find there. Couple of days ago, no clubs. But did find a like new Zero Restriction Gore-Tex pullover for $10 and a "fancy dan" Peter Millar golf shirt for $6. Couple of weeks prior, a McGregor Tourney Gore-Tex rain suit for $12. My golf apparel is most definitely from the Thrift Store Collection these days.

Thanks for the GF advice. Was super upfront with her about it. Taking her to dinner with the stuff I decide to sell!

Will also be more thorough in the clothing aisles.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    So after seeing this post I got all gung ho to check the thrift stores. I must have hit up 10 in the valley here. In my couple years of looking I have never found a pristine set of anything. Check out these rams. Score!!! they have been hit maybe one time. Also found some Kroydon tommy bolts? In amazing shape. Those Rams though!! The grips are still rough and tacky. The shaft bands are perfect. Only have macgregor hogans spalding etc in my personal collection. Nice to have some vintage rams!
    Posted:
  • birly-shirlybirly-shirly  3247Members Posts: 3,247
    Micro power shafts? Beggars belief that branding like that never caught on!

Great looking blades though. Never seen that vintage of Ram before.
    Posted:
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, California 2077Members Posts: 2,077
    OMGosh! Those MP Grads are in great condition. Those were like the softest forgings ever!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BIG STUBIG STU  12090Members Posts: 12,090

LOL I have my better half trained and she knows a lot. If she spots something especially Macgregor she will snap a photo and send to me aint modern technology great?

I have lots of golf clothes I got in the thrifts. I am not mainstream sized so when I see something that fits me I jump. A couple of weeks ago I picked up 2 brand new golf hats with the tags still on them for $1 each one a Srixon hat and the other a Bridgestone B-330 in pink and of course the wife got that one even though I had planned to wear it. The best deal I ever got in a thrift was I bought a bunch of Bobby Chan shirts back when they were the thing for $5 each none of them even came close to fitting me. I think I bought 10 sold each one for $20.
    Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Old Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch Red Regular
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Ping Zing 60* Stock Ping shaft
    Putter 1997 Scotty Santa Fe rusty as heck named "Rusty

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.