PXG iron issue

Poser

So I just purchased a set of PXG 4-PW and I was on the range yesterday and my 9 iron head went flying off and put a massive scratch and dent on it once it hit a marker. It's not like I hit a horrible shot I hit it pure but, the ferrule had started working it's way out of the 9 and having same issue on another club. What it appears to be is that they put taper tip shaft in a parallel head and after paying 2k for a set of clubs I don't want this to continue happening. There was no shim looks like PXG just used the ferrules that go down into the head to keep them in place which seems cheaply done to me.

Has anyone else experienced this? I emailed them but, not sure what to do I'm currently in Hawaii on vacation so paid the local shop here to glue it back in hopefully it doesn't go flying off again and the 7 iron ferrule seems to be working lose as well.

popcorn time

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I get most of my club work done from Miles of Golf. They do great work. One time after getting a head re-shafted I went out to hit it. First hit and the head flies down the range. The club guy came out and retrieved the head and fixed it. Apologized. No worries.

Bad things happen. Roll with it. Get it fixed wherever you purchased the clubs. Taper into parallel is done all the time, its not something new and your set isnt the first one ever done like that.

Deep breath - it will get fixed! G luck!

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I get most of my club work done from Miles of Golf. They do great work. One time after getting a head re-shafted I went out to hit it. First hit and the head flies down the range. The club guy came out and retrieved the head and fixed it. Apologized. No worries.

Bad things happen. Roll with it. Get it fixed wherever you purchased the clubs. Taper into parallel is done all the time, its not something new and your set isnt the first one ever done like that.

Yea I know s*** happens but, 2k for some clubs you think they would at least you shims or something instead of a plastic ferrule to keep the heads from moving. This was 3rd round with them since buying them 2 weeks ago

Yea I know s*** happens but, 2k for some clubs you think they would at least you shims or something instead of a plastic ferrule to keep the heads from moving. This was 3rd round with them since buying them 2 weeks ago

I'm with you ... I pay 2 grand for a new set of irons, I don't really want to look down and see a scratch everytime I hit one because the head wasn't attached right.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

That I'm aware of, PXG does NOT build the clubs, and they certainly wouldn't recommend putting taper tip shafts in heads that require Parallel shafts without proper modifications. This was your fitters issue. I've worked with a couple fitters on PXG heads and they all have used shims/centering pins.

I would venture to say that they were built improperly either way though.. At worst, I would suspect they wouldn't be centered in the hosel, but if they come flying out, there's an adhesive issue. The difference in hosel and shaft size isn't great enough to make a difference in weather the head will stay on the shaft. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that standard OEM tolerances would allow for a deviance of that size anyways.

PXG did just call which was a fast response and said they would fix the issue. My fitter said this is how PXG wants the clubs built without the shim just find it odd. Hopefully the person reguling the head realizes so it doesn't fly off again till I return next week and can get some sort of resolution hopefully

as others mentioned I would find this more of a Fitters fault. As rough as it sounds. PXG shouldn't even be responsible to even fixing the Iron. If its damaged(iron) i would make your fitter pay for the damages. Since he installed them and then have him follow up with PXG. Its almost like a he said she said type case. And you just want it fixed. Btw How do you like the clubs?

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

THIS SOUND LIKE ITS A BUILD ISSUE...

I've built very close to 100 sets of PXG Irons and here's the low down on head design from a builders perspective.

The heads themselves ( all models ) are designed to accept 370" parallel and 355 Taper ( with a specifically designed and supplied shim by PXG that allows the taper shaft to sit centered in the bottom of the hosel ) its actually a very small plastic shim

From PXG there are also 2 different ferrules ( collared ferrules like some of the PING ones ) that can be ordered by the builder to fit both 370 and 355 iron shafts to allow for the best possible fit and to prevent the problem of having them come apart.

There are also separate weight ports at the bottom of the hosels that do NOT effect bore depth ( like the old snake eyes components or like what wishon still uses )

What it sound like there are a couple reasons this head flew off:

1 - The wrong PXG ferrules were used if used at all ( causing creep ),

2 - Bad epoxy ( causing ferrule creep and eventual failure )

3 - Shims weren't used ( creating extra space that the epoxy did NOT fill ) and caused failure as the bond wore down- TOO much epoxy is a BAD thing.

4 - Shafts or heads weren't prepped properly . This is important with PXG heads because from the time they are made in the factory and get to the builder the hosels have oxidized and the thin layer of rust needs to be properly brushed out. This happens with most forged iron head straight from the factory ( miura, vega etc )

The last scenario is the least likely based on the fact that you seem to be working with a pretty experienced club builder, but I wanted to included it.

I worked at a very high volume PXG account so we always had all of the proper components straight from PXG to use and prevent any issues from coming up. If your builder hadn't built a lot with them yet this could explain why this happened.

The only issue I've seen with any PXG builds are from people who are getting components from PXG but don't have a ton of experience working with the gear yet.

Hope this helps explain it, any other questions just ask.

Ryan Barath

http://www.golfwrx.c...or/ryanbarath/

[twitter]RDSBarath[/twitter]

• Like 1

THIS SOUND LIKE ITS A BUILD ISSUE...

I've built very close to 100 sets of PXG Irons and here's the low down on head design from a builders perspective.

The heads themselves ( all models ) are designed to accept 370" parallel and 355 Taper ( with a specifically designed and supplied shim by PXG that allows the taper shaft to sit centered in the bottom of the hosel ) its actually a very small plastic shim

From PXG there are also 2 different ferrules ( collared ferrules like some of the PING ones ) that can be ordered by the builder to fit both 370 and 355 iron shafts to allow for the best possible fit and to prevent the problem of having them come apart.

There are also separate weight ports at the bottom of the hosels that do NOT effect bore depth ( like the old snake eyes components or like what wishon still uses )

What it sound like there are a couple reasons this head flew off:

1 - The wrong PXG ferrules were used if used at all ( causing creep ),

2 - Bad epoxy ( causing ferrule creep and eventual failure )

3 - Shims weren't used ( creating extra space that the epoxy did NOT fill ) and caused failure as the bond wore down- TOO much epoxy is a BAD thing.

4 - Shafts or heads weren't prepped properly . This is important with PXG heads because from the time they are made in the factory and get to the builder the hosels have oxidized and the thin layer of rust needs to be properly brushed out. This happens with most forged iron head straight from the factory ( miura, vega etc )

The last scenario is the least likely based on the fact that you seem to be working with a pretty experienced club builder, but I wanted to included it.

I worked at a very high volume PXG account so we always had all of the proper components straight from PXG to use and prevent any issues from coming up. If your builder hadn't built a lot with them yet this could explain why this happened.

The only issue I've seen with any PXG builds are from people who are getting components from PXG but don't have a ton of experience working with the gear yet.

Hope this helps explain it, any other questions just ask.

Ryan Barath

http://www.golfwrx.c...or/ryanbarath/

[twitter]RDSBarath[/twitter]

This is the most common problem here because most customers underestimate the importance of proper ferrules, decide they want after-market custom/colored ferrules instead...

Just like Ryan Barath said, PXG hosels come .370 no matter what. Just their proprietary way of making the heads so they fit their own tip weights. They are actually just over .370 but that doesn't matter. They have a special tool that sets the ferrule on a certain depth so that there is just enough room for their tip weight, their plastic shim, and thats it, not even enough room for a lead or brass tip weight. If they aren't built correctly bad things happen. That's why you have to make sure you are getting them from a reputable builder that has the correct tools for PXG builds.

as others mentioned I would find this more of a Fitters fault. As rough as it sounds. PXG shouldn't even be responsible to even fixing the Iron. If its damaged(iron) i would make your fitter pay for the damages. Since he installed them and then have him follow up with PXG. Its almost like a he said she said type case. And you just want it fixed. Btw How do you like the clubs?

Yea the PXG rep said she was actually visiting the Rep who built the clubs this week so hopefully they get on the same page and make sure this doesn't happen to future purchasers. As far as the clubs I like them alot they feel fantastic. Are they worth 300 per club thats still out. They are very forgiving and they feel amazing but, I've hit other irons that feel great these just have a different feel hard to explain.

Incompetent clubmaker screws up and its PXG's fault?

exactly.

I have no idea how PXG is getting screwed to the wall in this thread when they didn't actually build these particular clubs.

maybe even more confusing to me is why anyone is opting to have their PXG clubs built outside of the PXG factory.

If PXG is willing to license these parties to assemble their clubs, they should vet them better.

This is why OEMs don't sell components except in extremely rare circumstances. They want to control build quality.

Then again, if PXG wasn't smart enough to specify everything along the way, again it comes down to them replacing their product because their agent was incompetent or couldn't follow the directions.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

PXG did just call which was a fast response and said they would fix the issue. My fitter said this is how PXG wants the clubs built without the shim just find it odd. Hopefully the person reguling the head realizes so it doesn't fly off again till I return next week and can get some sort of resolution hopefully

Your fitter is full of sh*t.

Hope they replace your complete set. At the minimum the PXG fitter rebuilds your iron set; correctly, with the assistance of the PXG rep that can provide proper training regarding their assembly process.

PXG should audit this fitter, chances are if one set was built not following their assembly process, others were as well.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

My god, people just love to hate PXG, it's ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet a good sum of money that somewhere, somehow, there's been similar issues with Miura's, Epons, and Vega's. I bet a NO.1 grip has been defective and that someones Trackman 4 has burnt out in a short time of use. Things happen, and more often than not, it's user error, and in this case, it was the builders error.

People should take some comfort in the fact that PXG was quick to rectify the issue and make things right. It's easy to say that you should never have any issues when spending this kinda money, but that's just not how things go. If the company takes care of the OP, then good on them, and they're standing by their product. What more could you ask for?

I think PXG's business model of having local shops perform assembly is a little risky. If the clubs require some special insert plugs in order to accept taper tip shafts that's doubly risky because I'm unaware of any other club manufacturer that requires such extra parts. I'm not condemning PXG the way so many around here do, just throwing out a random observation. My local shop sells PXG and they are not set up for clubmaking themselves. They must be using an outside contractor for assembly, which begs the question about qualification. I guess it pays to ask the proper questions before throwing down your money.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"