IS PXG to PGA what Big Baller Brand will be to NBA?

AceCatKY

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried any PXG equipment? Serious question not making a joke here.

Only reason I ask is because previously I thought it was bogus but PXG fit me top to bottom just to see what their product was like it was amazing. Granted I still can't afford it. I can't speak to BBB shoes because I've never tried them on but PXG so far has not only talked the talk but walked the walk as well. BBB has yet to do that. And every time we see Lonzo, or any of the Lavar brothers for that matter, playing in another shoe it decredits the BBB brand of shoes. Just my observations so far

Not a PXG fan but it is apples to oranges. Yes their clubs are outrageous but golf has always had " a money is no object" air about it. I mean we have folks that would pay $1000 for a golf shaft on this very site.So PXG really isn't that far out of touch.

Lavar Ball on the other hand is a blowhard that thinks his son (while very talented) is the second coming of Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, etc. Truth is there is a better chance of him being out of the league in 5 years than him being the next whoever.

Only reason I ask is because previously I thought it was bogus but PXG fit me top to bottom just to see what their product was like it was amazing. Granted I still can't afford it. I can't speak to BBB shoes because I've never tried them on but PXG so far has not only talked the talk but walked the walk as well. BBB has yet to do that. And every time we see Lonzo, or any of the Lavar brothers for that matter, playing in another shoe it decredits the BBB brand of shoes. Just my observations so far

I haven't been fit with PXG but have hit one a demo club before and actually really liked it. Not talking trash about either brand. Believe Lonzo is wearing other shoes because the BBB shoes are still in production.

I haven't been fit with PXG but have hit one a demo club before and actually really liked it. Not talking trash about either brand. Believe Lonzo is wearing other shoes because the BBB shoes are still in production.

I can't say for sure why Lonzo is not wearing them but let's face it, love him or hate him Lavar is a great marketer and they already have some shoes made. Lavar is making a big marketing mistake by not having his son wear the shoes to help build the hype for them. PXG is somewhat established, more so than BBB so we have to be fair and give them some time. I just don't see it working with that price point and the demographic that would be interested

At least with PXG, they seem to carry the "quality" right through. I didn't hear Lavar ever mention they shoe fits better than a Nike Air, or is better for your knees or stronger support.

BBB is going at the market of Air Jordan, which I can't say is a "comfortable shoe" compared to others. It's more of a looks, and status.

PXG is going at the "looks and status" route, but I don't think the quality is less than the other top brands and some would argue it's even better.

If BBB hires away the equivalent of Brad Schweigert and Mike Nicolette from Nike or Adidas, the way PXG lured them from Ping, then perhaps the premise holds. Until then, BBB is show without substance.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

If BBB hires away the equivalent of Brad Schweigert and Mike Nicolette from Nike or Adidas, the way PXG lured them from Ping, then perhaps the premise holds. Until then, BBB is show without substance.

Great point! I don't see Tinker or Tobie Hatfield leaving Nike any time soon. I think a better comparison for the BBB brand would be a small golf club company that had ownership with a PGA Tour player.

There is some substance behind the design of PXG clubs. By this time, basketball shoe tech has plateaued, and it's all about marketing. I understand people liking and buying PXG, but paying five hundred dollars for basketball shoes is beyond me.

I think some people might say the same about golf club technology and marketing when compared to basketball shoes. The incremental improvements to both products are very small, but basketball shoes do have tech. If you don't believe me, go to YouTube and search Nightwing2303. He's like Mark Crossfield and Rick Shiels on steroids.

The tech behind PXG is presumably no better, nor any worse than that of say Titleist or Ping. Similarly, there is nothing to suggest the "tech" of BB shoes is any better or any worse than say Nike or Adidas. the parallel I was thinking of was just that both are relatively new, charge a higher price than competitors and are built more on the "hype" surrounding them. FWIW the presumed #1 pick in this year's NBA draft considered signing with BB and other players have said they will wear the brand.

PXG isnt tied to the performance of 1-2 people. I mean you could argue parsons sure, but I mean, if Lonzo doesn't light the NBA on fire the brand probably is a dud. It might be anyway due to price point as I'm not sure the demographics in basketball equipment are the same as golf.

I have a harder time seeing the Ball brand grow enough to dominate a niche.

PXG I could see it, you could argue they are already on their way to doing it

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

YOu, Sir, are a BIG BALLER.... well put. LeVar is a huckster and his son is about to get embarrassed (like he did against Kentucky and DeAaron Fox in the tourney)

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

YOu, Sir, are a BIG BALLER.... well put. LeVar is a huckster and his son is about to get embarrassed (like he did against Kentucky and DeAaron Fox in the tourney)

Go Cats!

There is some serious engineering and R&D behind PXG.

There is the idiot Lavar Ball behind BBB

I have never wanted to see a player fail more, sorry Lonzo - enjoy the fame while you can

Wow - kid is, what, 19?

I don't think lonzo is all that good - the next Ball is better from what my kids show me on YouTube. More fundamentally sound - the youngest though needs a LOT more discipline.

Anyway, I wouldn't be shocked if BBB enjoys some success - I remember when everyone said the Jordan 1s were too expensive - not saying lonzo ball is Jordan, but it certainly reshaped the basketball shoe market. Maybe there is room to grow more in that market...besides, has anyone seen what yeezys go for? Those can't even be used as a piece of sports performance equipment - they are gym shoes that nobody uses for athletics!

Big Baller Brand sells logoed hats you get made at the mall and is a glorified kickstarter for sneakers it hopes to sell one day. PXG is a far more legit brand with some real money behind it and strong actual products.

I will say this though, Lavar is an incredible hype man. Though it remains to be seen if he can overcome his kids possibly being duds in the NBA.

Big Baller Brand sells logoed hats you get made at the mall and is a glorified kickstarter for sneakers it hopes to sell one day. PXG is a far more legit brand with some real money behind it and strong actual products.

I will say this though, Lavar is an incredible hype man. Though it remains to be seen if he can overcome his kids possibly being duds in the NBA.

While just a drop in the bucket comparatively, they had sold $250k worth of shoes in preorders in the first weeks of the shoe release.

Interesting take in this article. Basically says even with low sales Ball can do fine. It says the typical rookie shoe deal is around $2M per year. If they sell 10k units which is a conservative outside projection they will take in $5M in revenue. Also, if the brand flops he could still go and sign with Nike or Adidas later if he has some success and get a bigger deal.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/05/08/lonzo-ball-shoes-big-baller-zo2-revenue-sales/

While just a drop in the bucket comparatively, they had sold $250k worth of shoes in preorders in the first weeks of the shoe release.

Shoes that don't exist yet. Like I said, a glorified kickstarter.

(Yes I know they had a prototype they showed on tv and stuff, but clearly it was non-functional or a mock up. Otherwise Lonzo would've worn it at his Lakers workout)

Shoes that don't exist yet. Like I said, a glorified kickstarter.

(Yes I know they had a prototype they showed on tv and stuff, but clearly it was non-functional or a mock up. Otherwise Lonzo would've worn it at his Lakers workout)

They don't exist yet but are in production. Probably a longer timeframe to produce since they don't have in-house manufacturing.

Yes.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]