2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

1272829303133»

Comments

  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,312 ✭✭
    kenstl wrote:


    Just put in my pre order (starts 3/22) for the buy 3 get 1 free, on the yellow AVX. I have not played an AVX yet but since I am a high ball hitter, I just took a leap of faith to give them a try. I usually go back and forth between the ZStar and DT Truesoft (both in yellow) image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />




    Why on earth would you commit to purchasing 4 DOZEN balls you've never even tried ?



    I know it's still cold there but can't you buy and try a sleeve before the special expires ?

    ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

    Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • kenstlkenstl Members Posts: 422 ✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

    kenstl wrote:


    Just put in my pre order (starts 3/22) for the buy 3 get 1 free, on the yellow AVX. I have not played an AVX yet but since I am a high ball hitter, I just took a leap of faith to give them a try. I usually go back and forth between the ZStar and DT Truesoft (both in yellow) image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />




    Why on earth would you commit to purchasing 4 DOZEN balls you've never even tried ?



    I know it's still cold there but can't you buy and try a sleeve before the special expires ?




    Just felt like playing a different ball this year. I putted with one and I liked the soft feel off of the putter, it will spin plenty for my ball height, and I seem to do better with balls that spin low off of the tee. I have played Srixon Q and Z, Titleist DT and ProV1, Snell, Vice, MG, Callaway, you name it, if it comes in yellow I have tried most of them in both urethane and surlyn covers. I don't think the ball ever raised or lowered my handicap as much as a club fitting and practice, but I do believe in playing the same ball all of the time once you commit to one.
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Wishon 929 4 wood
    SL Sterling Irons 5-LW
    Evnroll Arm Lock Putter
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,568 ClubWRX
    kenstl wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    kenstl wrote:


    Just put in my pre order (starts 3/22) for the buy 3 get 1 free, on the yellow AVX. I have not played an AVX yet but since I am a high ball hitter, I just took a leap of faith to give them a try. I usually go back and forth between the ZStar and DT Truesoft (both in yellow) image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />




    Why on earth would you commit to purchasing 4 DOZEN balls you've never even tried ?



    I know it's still cold there but can't you buy and try a sleeve before the special expires ?




    Just felt like playing a different ball this year. I putted with one and I liked the soft feel off of the putter, it will spin plenty for my ball height, and I seem to do better with balls that spin low off of the tee. I have played Srixon Q and Z, Titleist DT and ProV1, Snell, Vice, MG, Callaway, you name it, if it comes in yellow I have tried most of them in both urethane and surlyn covers. I don't think the ball ever raised or lowered my handicap as much as a club fitting and practice, but I do believe in playing the same ball all of the time once you commit to one.




    ur gonna love this ball.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • Ive been playing it off and on (mostly on) since last July or so and love it even more. I say that as Ive actually been spending time with on the practice green and doing some comparison. No brainer for my game but your results may vary.
  • adkleeadklee Members Posts: 58 ClubWRX
    kenstl wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    kenstl wrote:


    Just put in my pre order (starts 3/22) for the buy 3 get 1 free, on the yellow AVX. I have not played an AVX yet but since I am a high ball hitter, I just took a leap of faith to give them a try. I usually go back and forth between the ZStar and DT Truesoft (both in yellow) image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />




    Why on earth would you commit to purchasing 4 DOZEN balls you've never even tried ?



    I know it's still cold there but can't you buy and try a sleeve before the special expires ?




    Just felt like playing a different ball this year. I putted with one and I liked the soft feel off of the putter, it will spin plenty for my ball height, and I seem to do better with balls that spin low off of the tee. I have played Srixon Q and Z, Titleist DT and ProV1, Snell, Vice, MG, Callaway, you name it, if it comes in yellow I have tried most of them in both urethane and surlyn covers. I don't think the ball ever raised or lowered my handicap as much as a club fitting and practice, but I do believe in playing the same ball all of the time once you commit to one.






    The AVX yellow is a nice color too--more of a highlighter greenish yellow than a don't-eat-the-yellow-snow yellow, IMO. It's equally easy to spot from the middle of the fairway or from the woods.
  • fredstarfredstar Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭

    Just played my last 2 rounds with the AVX, coming from ProV1. Oddly I have lost at least 20 yards with the driver, it just feels dead off the face, no jump at all. Yet my irons are going one club longer. It's a weird mix as I thought the tee shots would be longer.

    Nike Zoom Precision
    Adidas Tour360 2.0
    Nike TW13
    Nike Lunar Control 4
    Jordan Flight Runner
    Ecco Biom Hybrid

    Callaway Rogue Driver
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3 wood
    Srixon u45 20*, 23*
    Ping i200 Irons
    Ping Glide 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey RSX Milled Fang
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,607 ✭✭

    @fredstar said:
    Just played my last 2 rounds with the AVX, coming from ProV1. Oddly I have lost at least 20 yards with the driver, it just feels dead off the face, no jump at all. Yet my irons are going one club longer. It's a weird mix as I thought the tee shots would be longer.

    You’re probably not spinning it enough with your driver soit’s flight is stalling.

    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • fredstarfredstar Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭

    @noodle3872 said:

    @fredstar said:
    Just played my last 2 rounds with the AVX, coming from ProV1. Oddly I have lost at least 20 yards with the driver, it just feels dead off the face, no jump at all. Yet my irons are going one club longer. It's a weird mix as I thought the tee shots would be longer.

    You’re probably not spinning it enough with your driver soit’s flight is stalling.

    Yeah I figured that was what is happening, too low spin.

    Nike Zoom Precision
    Adidas Tour360 2.0
    Nike TW13
    Nike Lunar Control 4
    Jordan Flight Runner
    Ecco Biom Hybrid

    Callaway Rogue Driver
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3 wood
    Srixon u45 20*, 23*
    Ping i200 Irons
    Ping Glide 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey RSX Milled Fang
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,111 ClubWRX

    I used to be a ProV1 player but recently I've been playing the Chrome Soft Truvis and have been generally happy with it. I tried the AVX this weekend and was really impressed. It feels just as soft as the Chrome Soft to me but is clearly longer, especially off the irons. About 1/2 club longer. I like the lower trajectory as I play in the wind a lot. It flies straighter than the Chrome Soft or ProV1. The yellow is a good color for it. I had no problems getting it to hold on the greens. This is a really good golf ball. I went for the 4 dozen for the price of three deal as soon as I got back to the Pro Shop.

  • rusty380rusty380 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited Apr 2, 2019 10:50am #971

    I've just bought a sleeve to try out tonight.

    Typically play in windy conditions and a somewhat links like courses. The Pro V1 has been ok but the x in windy conditions just spins up so so much for me in direct wind. Wind behind though and it's a monster.

    Always happy to see lower spin numbers so hopefully this is the one, if so I'll pick up 4 dozen before the deal ends, I think this ball on paper ticks all the boxes. Need to stop attacking pins also as the greens typically aren't the most receptive and need to be played with roll out in mind which is another plus for the AVX.

    Will hopefully make me play low sensible chip shots into green taking roll out into consideration rather than being aggressive with wedge play forcing the ball to spin on firm unwatered greens which can lead to all sorts of results.

  • I found one of these yesterday while playing at The Boulders in Arizona, and I wanted to try them last year but never got around to it so it was a good test run for 11 holes in bone dry conditions.

    My regular ball is a titleist tour soft. The AVX has a firm feel, kinda “clicks” off the irons. It was just as long as the tour soft on all clubs and I didn’t notice any trajectory differences. I had 3 shots in particular, one was 102 yards and I hit a 3/4 52 degree that hopped once and grabbed (absolutely nipped it) and another from 75 yards where I hit a smooth 58 degree and “drove” it in lower and stopped on a dime. I also had 205 front on #16 playing from the back. I’d normally hit my 4 crossover but opted to hit 5iron to play just short. I ended up ripping it and put it on the front third. Consider desert conditions and maybe 5 was the right club. A while back I played the pro v1 x but I’d back those up, hence why I went to the tour soft. These are better with the shorter full wedges and great in full shots.

    Ping G400 LST - Driver
    Ping G400 - 3 Wood
    Ping G400 - 19 deg Hybrid
    Ping G400 23 deg Crossover
    Ping I200 Irons (5-9)
    Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges - (46/52/58)
    Ping Vault 2.0 B60
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭

    Got to play the AVX yellow for a few holes yesterday. I really got tired of the guy hitting into me. So after almost hitting my wife in the cart, I picked up that jerks yellow AVX ball and played it the last few holes. Wow! Loved it and it was a 1/2 club longer in on clubs that my Snell Red.

    Thanks dude.

    TM M6 10.5 GD AD DI Black 6
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,226 ✭✭

    Is there a such thing as a "poor mans AVX"? Love the ball but don't wanna pay that premium price.

    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,383 ClubWRX

    Yeah, it hurts shelling out the dough, but it is a tough ball. I also hit my longest drives ever with this, amazing! At first it felt a bit hard as I have been using B330RX, and Volvik Vivid, but my confidence really went up with this. It is straighter than anything I have ever hit, and long too. My irons like it as well.

    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    GBB XR16 5 & 7 WD
    GBB OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,863 ✭✭

    Is the AVX supposed to be $39/doz? I thought I read in this thread that the AVX price dropped slightly below the ProV lines. The two stores I looked at had them at $47 just like the other ProV

    Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,312 ✭✭

    @Minarets said:
    Is the AVX supposed to be $39/doz? I thought I read in this thread that the AVX price dropped slightly below the ProV lines. The two stores I looked at had them at $47 just like the other ProV

    Nope. It's always been the same price as the ProVs,,,,,,


    ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

    Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited Apr 7, 2019 3:57am #978

    @bigmoneyp said:

    **Is there a such thing as a "poor mans AVX? **Love the ball but don't wanna pay that premium price.

    No. If you really like the AVX (or any ball for that matter) and it helps your game take advantage of the current Titleist buy 3 dozen get 1 free offer (personalized) that will get you 4 dozen balls at $36/per. The ball is the only piece of equipment used on every shot. If the AVX is that good for you pay the price for them. Pretty simple. It's confounding how many people continually cheap out on the ball that they like, fits their game but will blindly buy much more expensive equipment without a second thought that doesn't work for them. Then again maybe not.

  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,226 ✭✭

    @grm24 said:
    No. If you really like the AVX (or any ball for that matter) and it helps your game take advantage of the current Titleist buy 3 dozen get 1 free offer (personalized) that will get you 4 dozen balls at $36/per. The ball is the only piece of equipment used on every shot. If the AVX is that good for you pay the price for them. Pretty simple. It's confounding how many people continually cheap out on the ball that they like, fits their game but will blindly buy much more expensive equipment without a second thought that doesn't work for them. Then again maybe not.

    I'm not actually "pretty simple" for me. The question becomes am I getting enough of a benefit to justify the price. When I'm playing well the AVX fits my game perfect. Its long, its straight, I love the feel and around the greens it reacts nice for my bump and run style of play. I like the consistency but even at the promotion price its still $3/ball. I can get Top Flite D2 Feel for .67/ball. I understand fully that these balls are not in the same category and don't play the same but I can make adjustments to play either ball. There is no doubt the AVX is a better ball but the question becomes is it 5x better? For some it may be, for me I'm not so sure.

    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,312 ✭✭

    @bigmoneyp said:

    @grm24 said:
    No. If you really like the AVX (or any ball for that matter) and it helps your game take advantage of the current Titleist buy 3 dozen get 1 free offer (personalized) that will get you 4 dozen balls at $36/per. The ball is the only piece of equipment used on every shot. If the AVX is that good for you pay the price for them. Pretty simple. It's confounding how many people continually cheap out on the ball that they like, fits their game but will blindly buy much more expensive equipment without a second thought that doesn't work for them. Then again maybe not.

    I'm not actually "pretty simple" for me. The question becomes am I getting enough of a benefit to justify the price. When I'm playing well the AVX fits my game perfect. Its long, its straight, I love the feel and around the greens it reacts nice for my bump and run style of play. I like the consistency but even at the promotion price its still $3/ball. I can get Top Flite D2 Feel for .67/ball. I understand fully that these balls are not in the same category and don't play the same but I can make adjustments to play either ball. There is no doubt the AVX is a better ball but the question becomes is it 5x better? For some it may be, for me I'm not so sure.

    IF one loses 2 or 3 balls a round I can understand price being an issue.

    Otherwise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    This always kills me. AVX costs $4 per ball. As pointed out $3 per if you take advantage of their annual offer. That's about $2.33 PER ROUND more than the Top Flite.

    With all the guys who spend $75 on a golf shirt only to wear it 4 or 5 times before they won't wear it again because they have newer and brighter ones - $15-$18 PER ROUND

    and the guys who spend $400 on a driver only to use it for 15 rounds or so and sell it for $250 if they're lucky - $10 PER round

    or the guys who spend $150-$200 for a pair of shoes they wear maybe 20 times and then throw them away - $7-$10 PER round,

    or buying a set of irons for $1000 that a year or less later, say about 30 rounds, you can only get $400 for - $20 PER round

    or guys who have no issue paying $5 for a Gatorade twice a round and think nothing of it.

    not to mention green fees of of $30-$70 ( and UP) PER round.......

    And even IF one does very little of the swapping of equipment mentioned above it still astonishes me that ANYBODY would balk at paying an additional $2-$3 per round for the best golf ball for their game.

    Sorry. Makes ZERO sense to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,


    ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

    Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 606 ✭✭

    @bigmoneyp said:
    Is there a such thing as a "poor mans AVX"? Love the ball but don't wanna pay that premium price.

    I got the buy 3 get one free deal(yellow AVX) and then purchased with my company credit card and used the free personalization option to put my business name. With the free dozen and then the tax write off the balls get closer to $2 a ball. That sounds a lot better than almost $4 a ball.

    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,226 ✭✭

    @nsxguy said:
    This always kills me. AVX costs $4 per ball. As pointed out $3 per if you take advantage of their annual offer. That's about $2.33 PER ROUND more than the Top Flite.

    Thats exactly it, I'll use 3 balls per round on average. That ~2/round now jumps to $7 and over 35 rounds/year thats $245. I'm only speaking about in my case, obv YMMV.

    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,312 ✭✭

    @bigmoneyp said:

    @nsxguy said:
    This always kills me. AVX costs $4 per ball. As pointed out $3 per if you take advantage of their annual offer. That's about $2.33 PER ROUND more than the Top Flite.

    Thats exactly it, I'll use 3 balls per round on average. That ~2/round now jumps to $7 and over 35 rounds/year thats $245. I'm only speaking about in my case, obv YMMV.

    Fair enough. But even at $7 per round, assuming you lose 2, compared to all those other costs (IF they apply to you of course) still not a huge difference.

    That said, I don't particularly like drowning a $4 ball either LMAO


    ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

    Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 606 ✭✭

    I have found myself pulling a found ball out of my pocket on holes where losing a ball is likely. I probably shouldn't change my ball mid round but I also dont like losing my AVXs!

    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • moosehead222moosehead222 Moosehead Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

    @nsxguy said:

    @Minarets said:
    Is the AVX supposed to be $39/doz? I thought I read in this thread that the AVX price dropped slightly below the ProV lines. The two stores I looked at had them at $47 just like the other ProV

    Nope. It's always been the same price as the ProVs,,,,,,

    Last fall, my local golf shop sold the AVX for $39/doz. They said Titleist gave them permission. I have not had a chance to go back to check but now everyplace else I check is at $47... Really bummed out about this as they are great in the wind and rollout the best. $39 is my max price...

    Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 Aldila Rogue 65-S, RIP Alpha 60-S
    3 Wood: Titleist 904F 15 Fujikura Speeder S
    5 Wood: Titleist 904F 19 Aldila NV 75-S
    Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21 Graphic Design 85s
    Irons: Miura CB-202 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
    Wedges: Mizuno S18 50,55,60 S18 UST Recoil 95 F4
    Putter: Titleist Select
Sign In or Register to comment.