9 holes of golf

24

Comments

  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,372 ClubWRX
    Play 9 holes frequently, especially earlier in the season and later in the season depending on daylight hours. When my wife and I play, it's often just 9. Played 18 yesterday, went home, grilled, sat around and went to a course a little closer that I'm not a "member" of and paid their modest 9 hole rate for a quick 9 before dark, had 9 holes to myself, nice.
  • Twism86Twism86 Posts: 377 ✭✭
    srooch2 wrote:


    I DO think the price should be half but I completely understand from a business stand point. I run a small business. It's a fine line of getting more people on the course but also making it profitable. There is a great video from "No laying up" on YouTube about a course in winter Park, FL. Everyone should watch it, I think it is smart from a course's perspective and a golfer's perspective. I think it should be the next move for golf to grow amongst the average American.




    Found it and watched it, good video and a it looks like a good little course tucked away in a city.



    There is an 18-hole exec. course near me that is becoming a favorite. Par 3s with two 4s on the front and back for total par 58. Slow greens but decent bunkering, elevation and trees/hazards to make accuracy a factor. Its a really fun little course and I just have fun playing it. However, I recently had someone tell me that "its not real golf and your not a real golfer" if you play that kind of course a lot. Apparently anything short of smashing drivers and 3-woods on 600 yard holes isnt real golf.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,615 ClubWRX
    This might sound weird, but if it’s a nine hole course I’m ok with nine. I feel like I completed it. But if it’s a. 18hole course then I feel like I missed something.



    Nine at lunch or after work is ok anywhere though.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,271 ✭✭
    The only time I play nine is when the first eighteen wasn’t enough.
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef Members Posts: 665 ✭✭
    9 holes is my jaaaaaaaam.
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Members Posts: 5,154 ✭✭
    FWIW, I learned the game of golf (early 60's) on a 9 hole muni. Golf was a 9 hole game in this world. On days where you played 18, you would most probably say "I played two rounds".



    When I got out of college and moved away from home, golf was an 18 hole game. I would talk to my Dad about my golf and say "I shot a 79 today", to which he would probably respond "but what were your scores". Golf was a 9 hole game to him until he passed away.



    dave
  • HuskerDevil_1HuskerDevil_1 Members Posts: 107 ClubWRX
    The 9 hole fees in my area dissuade me from playing... 18 hole rates are so much better. They need a Golfnow.com for 9 holes.
  • Pi5seekerPi5seeker Posts: 831 ✭✭
    We have an awesome deal here with Great Life so I don't mind playing 9 now especially after work. Membership to Great Life is $60 for my wife and I and that's for gym, unlimited golf, and bowling. Our employers pay the fitness portion so we pay $20 a month for golf and bowling.
    Cobra F8 10.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* Spinner
    Odyssey Works Versa 1W
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • srooch2srooch2 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Twism86 wrote:

    srooch2 wrote:


    I DO think the price should be half but I completely understand from a business stand point. I run a small business. It's a fine line of getting more people on the course but also making it profitable. There is a great video from "No laying up" on YouTube about a course in winter Park, FL. Everyone should watch it, I think it is smart from a course's perspective and a golfer's perspective. I think it should be the next move for golf to grow amongst the average American.




    Found it and watched it, good video and a it looks like a good little course tucked away in a city.



    There is an 18-hole exec. course near me that is becoming a favorite. Par 3s with two 4s on the front and back for total par 58. Slow greens but decent bunkering, elevation and trees/hazards to make accuracy a factor. Its a really fun little course and I just have fun playing it. However, I recently had someone tell me that "its not real golf and your not a real golfer" if you play that kind of course a lot. Apparently anything short of smashing drivers and 3-woods on 600 yard holes isnt real golf.


    Distance has became the "cool" thing, I like accuracy driven courses, they just have a fun factor to them.
    Adams Fast 12LS w/ fujikura motore F3 60x
    Nike SQ II 3 & 5 wood w/ Aldila RIP Phenom 70x
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 24
    Adams MB2 raw 5-pw w/ project x 6.5
    Nike V-Rev 52/56/60 w/ dgS400
  • chal0072chal0072 Members Posts: 341 ✭✭
    I play a lot of 9 by myself then hit the range or range then 9 hole, but with friends always 18.
    Cobra King LTD Black
    TE EX10 3W
    Cobra F6 4h
    Callaway Apex cf16 5-P
    Cleveland RTX 50 56
    Taylormade Spider Black putter
  • RobERobE Posts: 169
    Twism86 wrote:


    What annoys me about playing 9 at some courses near me is they dont have a 9 hole price, just a twilight price, which if you get there at 4pm or 6pm its the same. Only thing is you can finish 18 holes at 4pm in the summer.




    It may exist, but I've never heard of any course that has a 9-hole rate on the twilight rate.

    C'mon man, twilight rates are already discounted, you don't get to double dip.
  • whynotgolfwhynotgolf Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    BForrester wrote:


    I don't mind playing 9 in after-work company leagues on weeknights, but 9 holes is generally a tease.




    Ditto for me.



    I'm just programmed for 18 I guess, but I do enjoy 9 holes during the work week, especially in a league format.
  • BForresterBForrester Unregistered Posts: 1,261
    RobE wrote:

    Naptime wrote:


    Not really. It would be like bowling 5 frames.




    Wow, it takes you 4 hours to bowl 10 frames?




    It takes you 4 hours to play 9 holes?!?

    whynotgolf wrote:

    BForrester wrote:


    I don't mind playing 9 in after-work company leagues on weeknights, but 9 holes is generally a tease.




    Ditto for me.



    I'm just programmed for 18 I guess, but I do enjoy 9 holes during the work week, especially in a league format.




    Depending on my front 9, I need to play the back just to remain optimistic about golf!
    Taylormade M1 8.5o Aldila Tour Green 70x 44"
    Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o Aldila Tour Blue 70x
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW DG S300
    Mizuno S5 (54, 58)
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
  • I love to play a quick 9 after work. The only problem I have is it always make me want to play the next 9 and then I get bummed once I’m in the car headed home.
  • Rapatt95Rapatt95 wow Posts: 568 ✭✭
    The way my home course is laid out is perfect for my after work rounds. I get back from work around 515 and to the course around 530. I can generally hop on the front or back and play nine, and then have about an hour of light where I can play 1-4 and then 9’s tee box is beside 4’s green. I hop on over it plays directly into the clubhouse.



    Time wise, it’s perfect, and I get to play 14 holes, so I’m not burnt out, but I’m not left feeling like I didn’t get to play enough
    Ping Anser 9.5* Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* 5w Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Cobra T-Rail 19* 3H Aldila Tour Green ATX75x
    Ben Hogan PTx 22*-34* C-Taper Lite 115x (Thank you GolfWRX and Ben Hogan!)
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 37*-45* C-Taper Lite 115x
    Ping Glide Forged 50* DG TI S400 (Thank you GolfWRX and Ping!)
    TM TP ATV 54* KBS Tour-V Wedge
    Vokey SM5 58* DG Wedge
    Ping iWi Anser
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    The only time I play nine is when my back gets grumpy and I quit at the turn.



    TBH I could see going out and playing the front or back in order to work on some aspect of my game, even though I probably would rather have a nice range for that.



    As someone said earlier, it's like bowling 5 frames, which I wouldn't like either.
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

    Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • Twism86Twism86 Posts: 377 ✭✭
    RobE wrote:

    Twism86 wrote:


    What annoys me about playing 9 at some courses near me is they dont have a 9 hole price, just a twilight price, which if you get there at 4pm or 6pm its the same. Only thing is you can finish 18 holes at 4pm in the summer.




    It may exist, but I've never heard of any course that has a 9-hole rate on the twilight rate.

    C'mon man, twilight rates are already discounted, you don't get to double dip.




    Not trying to double dip, I have seen courses with a twilight 18 hole rate and 9 hole rate that unchanged for the whole day. Usually that 9 hole rate is cheaper than any 18 hole rate, be it afternoon or twilight.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Posts: 935 ✭✭
    I walk nine pretty regular, or did before we had more kids. Like others have said, nine leaves you wanting more and not feeling completely exhausted, physically or mentally. I mentally check out after 12 or 14, especially if my game is **** that day.



    I think the game would be approached significantly different if a full round was 12 instead of 18. Pro tournaments would likely be tow 12 hole rounds per day. It would be rare even on a super backed up muni to have a 4.5 hour round with just 12 holes.



    If I ever hit the lottery and build my dream golf course (Gil Hanse, C&C and Rob Collins should expect a call) I will make sure that instead of having returning or looping nines I have three loops of 6. You can have a 6, a 12 and an 18 hole rate. I think it would encourage walking as well.
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Members Posts: 5,154 ✭✭
    smashdn wrote:


    I walk nine pretty regular, or did before we had more kids. Like others have said, nine leaves you wanting more and not feeling completely exhausted, physically or mentally. I mentally check out after 12 or 14, especially if my game is **** that day.



    I think the game would be approached significantly different if a full round was 12 instead of 18. Pro tournaments would likely be tow 12 hole rounds per day. It would be rare even on a super backed up muni to have a 4.5 hour round with just 12 holes.



    If I ever hit the lottery and build my dream golf course (Gil Hanse, C&C and Rob Collins should expect a call) I will make sure that instead of having returning or looping nines I have three loops of 6. You can have a 6, a 12 and an 18 hole rate. I think it would encourage walking as well.




    One of the courses that I played as a kid (back in the 1960's) was a 9 holer and it had three 3 hole loops, each one finishing at the clubhouse. My Dad referred to it as the 'best golf course in the world for a golfer with an 80 year old prostate".



    dave



    ps. Lead Belt Golf Club in Bonne Terre, Mo, FWIW.



  • MattH89MattH89 Members Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I only like to play 9 if 18 isn't an option due to time. 9 just doesn't feel right to me.



    We have a course around here that is 12 holes. Pretty unique. Better than 9 but still not satisfying.
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I love to play 9 at first light before work in the morning and other days I will sneak in 9 holes after work if there is still daylight. It's a great way for me to work on my game because I hate the range (since everywhere is San Diego seems to be mats and not grass).
  • fox_toddfox_todd Members Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Love walking 9. Meditation. Every Friday afternoon.
  • bluefishercatbluefishercat Posts: 86 ✭✭
    I probably walk 9 120 times a year or more.

    I play much better walking.



    The course I play at used to be 9 holes, after they added the other 9 a few guys quit.

    They didn't have time to play golf anymore, said it took too long to play 18.
    Pete
    Cleveland Classic XL 10.5
    Taylormade Jetspeed 3HL
    Callaway Heavenwood
    Callaway X-16 4-PW
    Callaway 50, 56, 60
    Never Compromise Sub 30 S2
  • NotYourAverageGolferNotYourAverageGolfer Enjoying the game, one swing at a time Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I prefer playing 18, but there is nothing quite like walking a quick 9 holes on a weekday with no one else on the course as the sun is setting. It's like reaching a small level of nirvana on a golf course. But like I said, 18 holes is the real deal.
  • DrCRHopDrCRHop Members Posts: 414 ✭✭
    I, too, like to play 9 before work. I walk and it's a nice way to start the day - usually once a week. Of course, if I'm playing well, I want to play 18. Other times, when I'm playing poorly, 9 is too much.
  • SoMoneyMuchWinSoMoneyMuchWin Members Posts: 30
    I prefer 18, but the ways things are right now I play mosty 9.
  • slide13slide13 Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭
    edited Jul 21, 2018 #58
    I think my favorite golf is 9 holes, walking, by myself, carrying my 7 club bag. Bonus if it’s cloudy, cool, and breezy. That is my heaven.



    18 hole rounds are great too, I prefer those with friends or family for company usually.



    I would never want to just play 9 on a new course, but I do it on a couple local courses that I know very well. I started doing this instead of hitting the driving range. It’s only a little more expensive and I find it better practice as I run into way more situations other than a perfectly flat teeing ground. Sometimes I’ll play one ball and keep score. Sometimes I go out purposefully to work on something planning to play multiple balls at times. And often....I start by keeping score and when that goes downhill make it a multi ball practice session, haha!
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • jslane57jslane57 Members Posts: 3,929 ✭✭
    Yeah, access to the first tee need not be determined by how many holes one plays. One hole or 18 holes, your time on the first tee was equal. That said, I do like 9 holes these days. A lot. Our course sends 9 hole leagues off the front and the back in the evenings and it's great. Of course there is a cut off time where one can't play 18 for the day, and at that time the rates do go down to reflect how many holes are available to play.
  • atteberry23atteberry23 Posts: 81 ✭✭
    I can't get over not playing for a score. I would like to be able to just go play nine hole, but I only go if I can get 18 in. Of course weather can derail that.
  • kjohn5050kjohn5050 ClubWRX Posts: 38
    I prefer something like 15 holes. 9 is nice time wise, but I always feel like I’m just rounding into form/playing well at the turn. So, when available time is there 18 for sure, but typically end up just at 9

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file