Most recognizable/ famous golf course logo

Comments

• OutBackHackOutBackHack Members Posts: 902 ✭✭
    edited Dec 6, 2018 #62
    BNGL wrote:

teejaywhy wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

McArthur Golf Club- The milk bottle is just a really cool and simple logo that stands out on a golf bag, shirt, or hat. It’s big, but subtle if that makes sense.

Neither recognizable nor famous. LOL

Perhaps not in the circles you run

You could go to a golf course, let's say Pinehurst, ask 1000 GOLFERS to identify the McArthur logo, and my guess is less than 10 would know it.

Now if it's the "really cool and simple logo" thread you may be onto something... But "Most Recognizable" .... Not even close.
  • Dgott0502Dgott0502 Members Posts: 16
    Pv for sure
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,725 ✭✭
    Dgott0502 wrote:

Pv for sure

You have to read more than the thread title.
  • msd71msd71 Members Posts: 707 ✭✭
    edited Dec 6, 2018 #65
    Dgott0502 wrote:

Pv for sure

Between this response and the OP's request to leave it out of the discussion, you'd think everyone knows it. I am ashamed to admit I had to look it up to refresh my memory. Is it really THAT well-known?
    msd71 wrote:

Dgott0502 wrote:

Pv for sure

Between this response and the OP's request to leave it out of the discussion, you'd think everyone knows it. I am ashamed to admit I had to look it up to refresh my memory. Is it really THAT well-known?

No, it's not.
  • ThunderBuzzworthThunderBuzzworth Hulk... Smash!! Members Posts: 2,552 ✭✭
    Sneak peak low angle of a small custom piece

Current WITB

Taylormade 2016 M1 7.8* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* (Tensei Pro white 90tx)
    Titleist 716 TMB 19* (DG X100)
    Callaway 18’ X Forged 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 130)
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50F black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey TVD 55K black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60D black (x100)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34”
    Srixon Z Star XV 17’ Yellow
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,464 ✭✭
    only know bethpage's cause i played it last summer ... would not have known any of the others except for merion, pb & agnc ...
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,400 ✭✭

Fore Putt wrote:

Merion, Pinehurst, Bay Hill, Winged Foot, Olympic

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Bay Hill

Overall it seems kind of a niche question and I don't think just asking folks their opinion in this sample size will establish much, but Palmer and Bay Hill will cut across all sorts of demographics. I love Oakmont's and have been an avid golf fan for decades, but until the USGA put that squirrel on a hat that I got, I had no idea. When I would wear it people wondered about the squirrel - nobody knew. Most folks I play with aren't into logos of courses in other counties, let alone other states.

Represent

The Palmer umbrella has a lot of hoops to navigate in order to legally use so that one is off the list along with ANGC and PV and PB

What? A logos trademark usage rights have something to do with how recognizable it is? That makes zero sense.
    Long Live Nike
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,519 ✭✭

Fore Putt wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Bay Hill

Overall it seems kind of a niche question and I don't think just asking folks their opinion in this sample size will establish much, but Palmer and Bay Hill will cut across all sorts of demographics. I love Oakmont's and have been an avid golf fan for decades, but until the USGA put that squirrel on a hat that I got, I had no idea. When I would wear it people wondered about the squirrel - nobody knew. Most folks I play with aren't into logos of courses in other counties, let alone other states.

Represent

The Palmer umbrella has a lot of hoops to navigate in order to legally use so that one is off the list along with ANGC and PV and PB

What? A logos trademark usage rights have something to do with how recognizable it is? That makes zero sense.

Legally no, but effectively yes.

A trademark that is well known and very recognizable also (likely) has a lot of value, so mis-use (/counterfeiting) is likely to have the trademark owner vigorously defend the mark. A trademark that is not well known and not very valuable has the same right to defend itself...but it's much less likely that the owner is going to pursue the case because of the associated costs.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,056 ✭✭
    msd71 wrote:

Dgott0502 wrote:

Pv for sure

No, not at all.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,342 ClubWRX

Fore Putt wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Bay Hill

Represent

Nobody said that.
    edited Dec 8, 2018 #73
    raynorfan1 wrote:

Legally no, but effectively yes.

A trademark that is well known and very recognizable also (likely) has a lot of value, so mis-use (/counterfeiting) is likely to have the trademark owner vigorously defend the mark. A trademark that is not well known and not very valuable has the same right to defend itself...but it's much less likely that the owner is going to pursue the case because of the associated costs.

Not necessarily.

Trademarks that are well known started out not well known, pretty much by definition. They didn't get well known without owners in many cases making sure their trademarks are protected and not protecting them invokes a risk of losing the protections. There is value in a trademark whether it is well known, that is the point of registering it in the first place, more often than not.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,612 ClubWRX
    Gosh, I have to admit that I couldn’t name or describe the course logo for any of the listed course other than Merion.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,557 ✭✭
    BNGL wrote:

teejaywhy wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

McArthur Golf Club- The milk bottle is just a really cool and simple logo that stands out on a golf bag, shirt, or hat. It’s big, but subtle if that makes sense.

You could go to a golf course, let's say Pinehurst, ask 1000 GOLFERS to identify the McArthur logo, and my guess is less than 10 would know it.

Now if it's the "really cool and simple logo" thread you may be onto something... But "Most Recognizable" .... Not even close.

Great idea, I’ll take you up on that. I’m going to ANGC in February, I will ask there too, maybe I’ll make a trip to pinehurst to conduct our little experiment.
  • eric13eric13 Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Pinehurst but I’ve been there several times. Had to look up Kittansett.
    BNGL wrote:

BNGL wrote:

teejaywhy wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

Great idea, I’ll take you up on that. I’m going to ANGC in February, I will ask there too, maybe I’ll make a trip to pinehurst to conduct our little experiment.

Sorry, should have made it clear, I was responding in reference to your post, but not at all talking to you.

You knock yourself out with that though.
    BNGL wrote:

teejaywhy wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

If I post something and you respond to it then yes you are talking to me, same as I’m responding to you now.

Played today and asked the two I played with and the two caddies, as well as several in the pro shop. They all knew the logo. 11 down 989 to go...stay tuned.
  • Togatown22Togatown22 Saratoga Springs, NYMembers Posts: 2,753 ✭✭

Gosh, I have to admit that I couldn’t name or describe the course logo for any of the listed course other than Merion.

You have more knowledge than most others on this board; you wouldn't be able to describe the Bay Hill or Winged Foot logo?

I don't believe it!
    Rogue 10.5 Graphite Design AD TP 6S
    Rogue 15 PX Even Flow Blue S
    816H1 19 Motore Speeder 8.8 S
    718 AP3 4,5 DG AWT Black S
    718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
    SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
    Futura 5.5W
  • ckates7ckates7 Members Posts: 395 ✭✭
    I feel like Bay Hill and it’s not even close.
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,228 ✭✭
    I always think of the Oak Tree logo (the orange oak tree) from Landmark. But I live in the past I suppose.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,612 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 10, 2018 #82
    Togatown22 wrote:

You have more knowledge than most others on this board; you wouldn't be able to describe the Bay Hill or Winged Foot logo?

I don't believe it!

I probably would recognize Bay Hill’s logo if I saw it (prior to this thread), but if asked to describe it I might have remembered the umbrella, but I wouldn’t guarantee it. Similar to several others on the original list (which incidentally, Bay Hill wasn’t on), I might recognize them if I saw a picture, but off the top of my head, I really can’t describe them.

EDIT: went back and read the original post. It didn’t actually say anything about describing logos, just which are most recognizable. Odds are upon seeing the logos I probably would recognize several since I’m sure I’ve seen many of them here over the years.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,400 ✭✭
    ckates7 wrote:

I feel like Bay Hill and it’s not even close.

Well the words are IN the logo so it's not super mysterious like some of the other courses which have no letters in them or just anagrams haha.
    Long Live Nike
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,156 ✭✭
    BNGL wrote:

BNGL wrote:

teejaywhy wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

If I post something and you respond to it then yes you are talking to me, same as I’m responding to you now.

Played today and asked the two I played with and the two caddies, as well as several in the pro shop. They all knew the logo. 11 down 989 to go...stay tuned.

Where were you playing? Somewhere not in the vicinity of Port St. Lucie / Jupiter FL?
    A little place in Juno Beach. The stipulation was a golf course, not one outside of Martin or Palm Beach Counties. So I went to a golf course, got 11 responses and I have 989 to go. Which I will steadily chop away at however long it takes me.
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭
    BNGL wrote:

A little place in Juno Beach. The stipulation was a golf course, not one outside of Martin or Palm Beach Counties. So I went to a golf course, got 11 responses and I have 989 to go. Which I will steadily chop away at however long it takes me.

How many recognize the logo now total? The target was 10 out of 1000 right?

As a matter of fact bring it to your social committee at the club and use it as a trivia question. For what it is worth I have asked 2 friends of mine who aren't big into private clubs and neither of them knew it. One thought out loud thinking... hmmmm milk, it must be from the midwest and cows....... Sand HIlls!!! nope... sorry.
    Schley wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

As a matter of fact bring it to your social committee at the club and use it as a trivia question. For what it is worth I have asked 2 friends of mine who aren't big into private clubs and neither of them knew it. One thought out loud thinking... hmmmm milk, it must be from the midwest and cows....... Sand HIlls!!! nope... sorry.

It was 10, but he was so certain that 10/1000 was the number I’m going to prove it wrong. Bringing it up with my members would be an easy way to get over 350 yes votes, as many are members there as well.

I’m a miserable SOB, and if I feel you’re wrong I will destroy you. I demand perfection from myself, and expect it from those around me. And yes that’s a miserable way to live, but it’s gotten me to the top (at least near the top of my industry or anything I have ever attempted). If you come at me with numbers or facts you best be correct, and I didn’t feel those numbers were correct as he proposed them, go to a course and ask a 1000 people. His suggestion was pinehurst, I cannot do that right now, but I can do the experiment as first posited, any golf course. Luckily I play a lot of golf, at other golf courses so I will ask around.

So the number is still at 989, and I will update this every time I conduct “research”’
    BNGL wrote:

Schley wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

It was 10, but he was so certain that 10/1000 was the number I’m going to prove it wrong. Bringing it up with my members would be an easy way to get over 350 yes votes, as many are members there as well.

I’m a miserable SOB, and if I feel you’re wrong I will destroy you. I demand perfection from myself, and expect it from those around me. And yes that’s a miserable way to live, but it’s gotten me to the top (at least near the top of my industry or anything I have ever attempted). If you come at me with numbers or facts you best be correct, and I didn’t feel those numbers were correct as he proposed them, go to a course and ask a 1000 people. His suggestion was pinehurst, I cannot do that right now, but I can do the experiment as first posited, any golf course. Luckily I play a lot of golf, at other golf courses so I will ask around.

So the number is still at 989, and I will update this every time I conduct “research”’

God I'd hate to be a dandelion on your golf course! ;-)
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,156 ✭✭
    BNGL wrote:

Schley wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

Wondering if you were to apply a bit of critical thought, of which I'm certain you are skilled at having reached the top of your industry and everything else you have attempted, do you think the poll results might change as you venture farther away from your hometown where this famous course and logo are located ?
    teejaywhy wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

Schley wrote:
    BNGL wrote:

Wondering if you were to apply a bit of critical thought, of which I'm certain you are skilled at having reached the top of your industry and everything else you have attempted, do you think the poll results might change as you venture farther away from your hometown where this famous course and logo are located ?

Perhaps, and that is why I will be asking at every time I tee it up.
  • Rosco1216Rosco1216 Members Posts: 2,975 ✭✭
    edited Dec 12, 2018 #91
    The Patriot Golf Club. Not sure how well known the course is outside of this region but it's undoubtedly recognizable through Major Dan Rooney and Folds of Honor.
    Tour Issue M3 8.5*(7.4* @ 3.4* open) - Diamana DF 70tx
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0
    Miura CB 1008(4-P) - PX 7.0
    Bridgestone TourB XW1 50/55//60* - X100
    Piretti Matera 2 Limited Release

https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova