The 20 most important changes to the rules of golf in 2019 via USGA and R&A

easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a HoDetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,293 admin
USGA for your mobile phone, but to start you off, here are the 20 most important changes we’ll see in 2019.



1. Search time—Reduced from five minutes to three minutes.

2. Ball moved during search—Replace with no penalty.

3. Embedded ball—Free relief anywhere through the green.

4. Measuring a drop—Use longest club (except putter).

5. Dropping—Drop from knee height rather than from shoulder height.

6. Taking stance on the wrong green is no longer allowed.

7. Ball unintentionally hits player or equipment—No penalty.

8. Double hit—No penalty; now counts as only one shot.

9. Touching sand in bunker incidentally is permitted.

10. Loose impediments can be removed anywhere including hazards.

11. Dropping a ball outside of a bunker—two penalty strokes.

12. Water hazards—Now called “Penalty Areas.”

13. Touching ground in penalty area—No penalty.

14. Ball moves on green after being marked—Replace without penalty.

15. Ball accidentally moved on putting green—Replace without penalty.

16. All damage to green can now be repaired.

17. Positioning a club for alignment is not permitted.

18. Caddie assisting with alignment is now not permitted.

19. Putting with flag stick in the hole is now permitted.

20. Ball wedged against the flag stick and the side of the hole is deemed as holed.

«1

Comments

  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,779 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 9:26pm #2
    Thanks. First time seeing this (condensed)
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,913 ClubWRX
    They can't even own their silly change to OB - that's a pretty important change (and not a good one).
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,813 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    They can't even own their silly change to OB - that's a pretty important change (and not a good one).




    Talk about silly.



    That is a "local rule", not used/recommended for high level competitions.

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56*, 60* DGS300
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • Mario Good TimesMario Good Times Members Posts: 479 ✭✭
    Well good thing #3 is a rule now, I always thought that was the rule anyways. Lmao!!!



    #13 can we ground our club in bunkers or hazards now?
  • ZBigStickZBigStick Practice Perfect Form Members Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 11:24pm #6
    Well good thing #3 is a rule now, I always thought that was the rule anyways. Lmao!!!

    #13 can we ground our club in bunkers or hazards now?




    I believe #3 was often applied as a local rule.



    A bunker is not a Penalty Area, but it appears that you can ground in that area now.



    #9 No penalty for club touching sand incidentally. So no grounding, but unintentional or accidental touching is not penalized.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
    Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
    Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]RTX-4 50˚M, 56˚F (55˚), 60˚F S400 ti[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Spider Tour L-neck Silver
    Pro V1 2017
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TP-5[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark[/font]
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,815 ✭✭
    This list is BS and has nothing to do with the R&A or the the USGA.



    Please be aware at least 3, 9, 16 and 18 are wrong.



    There is loads of information available about the rules changes on the web sites of both organizations. There's simply no reason to base your knowledge on lists made by random people, who clearly don't know what they're talking about, as is the case with this one.
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,545 ✭✭
    No idea what #17 means.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • irvtrainirvtrain Denver, COMembers Posts: 1,014 ✭✭
    Halebopp wrote:


    This list is BS and has nothing to do with the R&A or the the USGA.



    Please be aware at least 3, 9, 16 and 18 are wrong.



    There is loads of information available about the rules changes on the web sites of both organizations. There's simply no reason to base your knowledge on lists made by random people, who clearly don't know what they're talking about, as is the case with this one.




    How are they wrong? This is a simplified list from USGA and R&A.
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,815 ✭✭
    irvtrain wrote:

    Halebopp wrote:


    This list is BS and has nothing to do with the R&A or the the USGA.



    Please be aware at least 3, 9, 16 and 18 are wrong.



    There is loads of information available about the rules changes on the web sites of both organizations. There's simply no reason to base your knowledge on lists made by random people, who clearly don't know what they're talking about, as is the case with this one.




    How are they wrong? This is a simplified list from USGA and R&A.




    It most certainly isn't a list made by them. Even the R&A logo is wrong.



    No free relief in bunkers, penalty areas for an embedded ball. You can't fix damage due to natural wear on the greens (for example), there's no rule saying a caddie can't help player with alignment and you can't touch sand to test the conditions, in your backswing, when addressing the ball or otherwise in any way that would improve the conditions of your stroke.
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,815 ✭✭
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie Members Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Many of these seem far more important than dropping from knee height.

    Ping G400 Max, Hzrdus Black 6.5
    Ping G400 3 Wood 14.5*
    Ping G400 3H 19* or Srixon ZU65 19*
    Srixon Z545 (4-5), Srixon Z765 (6-7), Srixon Z945 (8-PW)
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58
    Odyssey O-Works 7S
    Srixon Z Star XV

  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,895 ✭✭
    easyyy wrote:


    USGA for your mobile phone, but to start you off, here are the 20 most important changes we’ll see in 2019.



    1. Search time—Reduced from five minutes to three minutes.

    2. Ball moved during search—Replace with no penalty.

    3. Embedded ball—Free relief anywhere through the green.

    4. Measuring a drop—Use longest club (except putter).

    5. Dropping—Drop from knee height rather than from shoulder height.

    6. Taking stance on the wrong green is no longer allowed.

    7. Ball unintentionally hits player or equipment—No penalty.

    8. Double hit—No penalty; now counts as only one shot.

    9. Touching sand in bunker incidentally is permitted.

    10. Loose impediments can be removed anywhere including hazards.

    11. Dropping a ball outside of a bunker—two penalty strokes.

    12. Water hazards—Now called “Penalty Areas.”

    13. Touching ground in penalty area—No penalty.

    14. Ball moves on green after being marked—Replace without penalty.

    15. Ball accidentally moved on putting green—Replace without penalty.

    16. All damage to green can now be repaired.

    17. Positioning a club for alignment is not permitted.

    18. Caddie assisting with alignment is now not permitted.

    19. Putting with flag stick in the hole is now permitted.

    20. Ball wedged against the flag stick and the side of the hole is deemed as holed.







    Number 3 on your list is incorrect. You might wish to edit it to say, "Embedded ball—Free relief anywhere in the general area." image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />



    The change for 2019 is the old Local Rule which permitted free relief for an embedded ball "through the green" meaning not only in the fairway but in the rough, is now a part of Rule 16. The Local Rule is no longer required.



    The oft misunderstood term "through the green" is now the "general area."



    Free relief for an embedded ball is now available in the general area (with one small exception).



    Free relief for an embedded ball never has been and probably never will be allowed in a bunker or a penalty area.
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,813 ✭✭
    Sheesh.



    Pedants/Rulies. NOTE the section this is in.



    I realize that in the R&E section you guys will argue over the meanings of "mud" and "wet dirt" but that's not where this is. image/rtfm.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rtfm:' />



    This is, I believe (Whew, almost left that out image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> ), meant as very general info, not necessarily in order of the "most important", and certainly not covering ALL the changes.



    And nobody should take the verbiage to be exact and totally correct either but merely use it as situations that one should be aware of having been changed - and do more investigation INTO the exact change.

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56*, 60* DGS300
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,913 ClubWRX
    nsxguy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    They can't even own their silly change to OB - that's a pretty important change (and not a good one).




    Talk about silly.



    That is a "local rule", not used/recommended for high level competitions.




    Local is where the vast majority of golf is played. They didn't characterize it as 20 most important rules only tournament players would care about.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,685 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 8, 2019 12:21pm #16
    nsxguy wrote:


    Sheesh.



    Pedants/Rulies. NOTE the section this is in.



    I realize that in the R&E section you guys will argue over the meanings of "mud" and "wet dirt" but that's not where this is. image/rtfm.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rtfm:' />



    This is, I believe (Whew, almost left that out image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> ), meant as very general info, not necessarily in order of the "most important", and certainly not covering ALL the changes.



    And nobody should take the verbiage to be exact and totally correct either but merely use it as situations that one should be aware of having been changed - and do more investigation INTO the exact change.




    They should separate the Rules and Etiquette forum into two separate ones. Then on the rules forum they could have a warning sign similar to the one at Bethpage. “The Rules Forum is only For Highly Knowledgeable Rules People, all Others Will Promptly be Chastised”!



    Enter at Your Own Risk!!😀
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,813 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    They can't even own their silly change to OB - that's a pretty important change (and not a good one).




    Talk about silly.



    That is a "local rule", not used/recommended for high level competitions.




    Local is where the vast majority of golf is played. They didn't characterize it as 20 most important rules only tournament players would care about.




    It's not a "Rule change", it's a new Model Local Rule. i.e. not a Rule of Golf.



    But it certainly could have been mentioned as it will very likely be widely used.

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56*, 60* DGS300
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,813 ✭✭

    nsxguy wrote:


    Sheesh.



    Pedants/Rulies. NOTE the section this is in.



    I realize that in the R&E section you guys will argue over the meanings of "mud" and "wet dirt" but that's not where this is. image/rtfm.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rtfm:' />



    This is, I believe (Whew, almost left that out image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> ), meant as very general info, not necessarily in order of the "most important", and certainly not covering ALL the changes.



    And nobody should take the verbiage to be exact and totally correct either but merely use it as situations that one should be aware of having been changed - and do more investigation INTO the exact change.




    They should separate the Rules and Etiquette forum into two separate ones. Then on the rules forum they could have a warning sign similar to the one at Bethpage. "The Rules Forum is only For Highly Knowledgeable Rules People, all Others Will Promptly be Chastised"!



    Enter at Your Own Risk!!��




    image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />



    Not quite as bad as this but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe there should be a sign ?



    il_340x270.1376605356_9h9i.jpg

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56*, 60* DGS300
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,913 ClubWRX
    nsxguy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    They can't even own their silly change to OB - that's a pretty important change (and not a good one).




    Talk about silly.



    That is a "local rule", not used/recommended for high level competitions.




    Local is where the vast majority of golf is played. They didn't characterize it as 20 most important rules only tournament players would care about.




    It's not a "Rule change", it's a new Model Local Rule. i.e. not a Rule of Golf.



    But it certainly could have been mentioned as it will very likely be widely used.




    Wrong.



    See Rule of Golf 1.3a.



    I know you are excited about the ongoing conversations, but come on now!
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,813 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    They can't even own their silly change to OB - that's a pretty important change (and not a good one).




    Talk about silly.



    That is a "local rule", not used/recommended for high level competitions.




    Local is where the vast majority of golf is played. They didn't characterize it as 20 most important rules only tournament players would care about.




    It's not a "Rule change", it's a new Model Local Rule. i.e. not a Rule of Golf.



    But it certainly could have been mentioned as it will very likely be widely used.




    Wrong.



    See Rule of Golf 1.3a.



    I know you are excited about the ongoing conversations, but come on now!




    Did ya dig very deep for that one ? LOL





    a. Meaning of “Rules”; Terms of the Competition

    The “Rules” means:



    Rules 1-24 and the Definitions in these Rules of Golf, and



    Any “Local Rules” the Committee adopts for the competition or the course.





    Now I'm no English major but by that statement, IF the Local Rule is NOT adopted, it it NOT a "rule" and certainly isn't a "term of the competition".



    So it's a "rule" "if".

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56*, 60* DGS300
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,815 ✭✭
    edited Jan 8, 2019 4:36pm #21
    nsxguy wrote:
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    They can't even own their silly change to OB - that's a pretty important change (and not a good one).




    Talk about silly.



    That is a "local rule", not used/recommended for high level competitions.




    Local is where the vast majority of golf is played. They didn't characterize it as 20 most important rules only tournament players would care about.




    It's not a "Rule change", it's a new Model Local Rule. i.e. not a Rule of Golf.



    But it certainly could have been mentioned as it will very likely be widely used.




    You're free to make a list of your own, just like the person who did this one.



    I do believe yours would be better, really.



    I have nothing against such lists, they're a great way to introduce new ideas to an audience in an easily digestable manner. I'm just against the errors in them (or intentional wrong information, thrown in just for laughs). I'm willing to bet there are loads of people who won't study the rules any further and mistakes like the ones on this particular list will have a long life, especially when such people get confirmation from each other and nobody points out the errors.
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,913 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 8, 2019 8:13pm #22
    nsxguy wrote:


    Did ya dig very deep for that one ? LOL





    a. Meaning of “Rules”; Terms of the Competition

    The “Rules” means:



    Rules 1-24 and the Definitions in these Rules of Golf, and



    Any “Local Rules” the Committee adopts for the competition or the course.





    Now I'm no English major but by that statement, IF the Local Rule is NOT adopted, it it NOT a "rule" and certainly isn't a "term of the competition".



    So it's a "rule" "if".




    Be smart alecky if you choose, but -



    You omitted the following from the Rule:
    • See Committee Procedures, Section 5C and Section 8 (Local Rules and full set of authorized Model Local Rules); Section 5A (Terms of the Competition).


    ​That language is part of the Rule and the Rules of Golf had to be changed to include it as part of the Rules of Golf, which is where that is found.



    ​The local rule is intended to be used for general play, that is why it was invented, and the only exceptions are professional or elite amateur competitions.



    Maybe it won't be adopted by every Committee but yes, it doesn't exist as an option without an obvious change in the Rules and the original remark, agree with it or not, is accurate in the context of the Rules changes. IMO a very significant departure from the previous rules.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,813 ✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    They can't even own their silly change to OB - that's a pretty important change (and not a good one).
    t's not a "Rule change", it's a new Model Local Rule. i.e. not a Rule of Golf.



    But it certainly could have been mentioned as it will very likely be widely used.





    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:


    Did ya dig very deep for that one ? LOL





    a. Meaning of “Rules”; Terms of the Competition

    The “Rules” means:



    Rules 1-24 and the Definitions in these Rules of Golf, and



    Any “Local Rules” the Committee adopts for the competition or the course.





    Now I'm no English major but by that statement, IF the Local Rule is NOT adopted, it it NOT a "rule" and certainly isn't a "term of the competition".



    So it's a "rule" "if".




    Be smart alecky if you choose, but -



    You omitted the following from the Rule:
    • See Committee Procedures, Section 5C and Section 8 (Local Rules and full set of authorized Model Local Rules); Section 5A (Terms of the Competition).


    ​That language is part of the Rule and the Rules of Golf had to be changed to include it as part of the Rules of Golf, which is where that is found.



    ​The local rule is intended to be used for general play, that is why it was invented, and the only exceptions are professional or elite amateur competitions.



    Maybe it won't be adopted by every Committee but yes, it doesn't exist as an option without an obvious change in the Rules and the original remark, agree with it or not, is accurate in the context of the Rules changes. IMO a very significant departure from the previous rules.




    So we could leave it be, I already ACKNOWLEDGED it should have been part of the "Changes" as it would be widely used.



    So who's REALLY being the "smart alecky" one here ? BTW, that's a rhetorical question - no need to answer though I suspect you will feel you have to. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56*, 60* DGS300
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • cradd10cradd10 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭
    so if you drop from shoulder height instead of knee, it would be a penalty? or re-drop?
    M1 460 Syngery Proto 75
    17' M2 15° Hzdrus blk 6.5
    X2Hot Pro 18°
    RSi2 4-W. C-Taper 130x
    Vokey SM6 50,55,60
    Edel E-2
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,815 ✭✭
    cradd10 wrote:


    so if you drop from shoulder height instead of knee, it would be a penalty? or re-drop?




    Re-drop as many times as you need until you get it right. Now, if you play the ball after dropping it in a wrong way, you will get a one-stroke penalty if the ball was played from within the relief area but the general penalty (2 shots, loss of hole) if the ball is played from outside the relief area.
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,101 ✭✭
    For folks that like pictures with their overview, I really like this simple PDF from Ogbourne Downs GC in England:

    https://www.ogbournedowns.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Golf-rule-changes-2019.pdf



    Note: It's not super duper official, so the adjectives used and the scale and definition of the images may offend some.
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,815 ✭✭
    duffer987 wrote:


    For folks that like pictures with their overview, I really like this simple PDF from Ogbourne Downs GC in England:

    https://www.ogbourne...hanges-2019.pdf



    Note: It's not super duper official, so the adjectives used and the scale and definition of the images may offend some.




    I can't help but believe you're trying to take a stab at me, Duffer. I had a thought you'd be above such attempts at low blows.



    That's a well-done presentation, why would it offend anyone? Although the slide about alignment help could use a different header, the body of text does cover the essence of the rule properly though.



    If you can't see a difference in putting out helpful, factual information and making things up (or posting misinformation) and attempting to basically steal the identities of other organizations to give it credibility, well, I don't know what to say.
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,870 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 9, 2019 2:09pm #28
    Halebopp wrote:

    duffer987 wrote:


    For folks that like pictures with their overview, I really like this simple PDF from Ogbourne Downs GC in England:

    https://www.ogbourne...hanges-2019.pdf



    Note: It's not super duper official, so the adjectives used and the scale and definition of the images may offend some.




    I can't help but believe you're trying to take a stab at me, Duffer. I had a thought you'd be above such attempts at low blows.



    That's a well-done presentation, why would it offend anyone? Although the slide about alignment help could use a different header, the body of text does cover the essence of the rule properly though.



    If you can't see a difference in putting out helpful, factual information and making things up (or posting misinformation) and attempting to basically steal the identities of other organizations to give it credibility, well, I don't know what to say.




    I've been following this thread and after reading this, I honestly have to ask...



    Do you really believe Duffer made the comment to offend you? My gut says he looked at it, thought it was helpful to post, but didn't comb through it to be sure it was 100% factual in it's explanation. Kind of an asterisk so any potential errors could be commented on without harsh criticism.



    Also, just curious on your last statement...you do realize that easyyy (the OP) is the founder/owner of GolfWRX and you essentially are stating that he stole the identities of these organizations (USGA/R&A) when he started the topic? It's entirely possible that easyyy has some dark tendencies to misdirect us in the world of golf, but I would speculate he found an image (Jpeg or PDF) online potentially as a reference to the USGA Moble app that listed the top 20 rule changes and wanted to post it for others to reference. Obviously as you pointed out, there are items in that list which should better clarified.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,101 ✭✭
    edited Jan 9, 2019 3:07pm #29
    Halebopp wrote:

    duffer987 wrote:


    For folks that like pictures with their overview, I really like this simple PDF from Ogbourne Downs GC in England:

    https://www.ogbourne...hanges-2019.pdf



    Note: It's not super duper official, so the adjectives used and the scale and definition of the images may offend some.




    I can't help but believe you're trying to take a stab at me, Duffer. I had a thought you'd be above such attempts at low blows.



    That's a well-done presentation, why would it offend anyone? Although the slide about alignment help could use a different header, the body of text does cover the essence of the rule properly though.



    If you can't see a difference in putting out helpful, factual information and making things up (or posting misinformation) and attempting to basically steal the identities of other organizations to give it credibility, well, I don't know what to say.


    I should of put a image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> on it - I meant no general or specific offense, I was obviously (I thought) poking fun at some of the responses in this thread, while sharing what I hoped would be a useful overview. If I was going to take a pop at someone I'd have left no doubt image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

    I've actually sent the link to my golfing mates cause while it might not be 100% spot on, it helped me oot.

    And also as Ska points out, I generally don't know if it's wholly accurate.
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,815 ✭✭
    Skaffa77 wrote:

    Halebopp wrote:

    duffer987 wrote:


    For folks that like pictures with their overview, I really like this simple PDF from Ogbourne Downs GC in England:

    https://www.ogbourne...hanges-2019.pdf



    Note: It's not super duper official, so the adjectives used and the scale and definition of the images may offend some.




    I can't help but believe you're trying to take a stab at me, Duffer. I had a thought you'd be above such attempts at low blows.



    That's a well-done presentation, why would it offend anyone? Although the slide about alignment help could use a different header, the body of text does cover the essence of the rule properly though.



    If you can't see a difference in putting out helpful, factual information and making things up (or posting misinformation) and attempting to basically steal the identities of other organizations to give it credibility, well, I don't know what to say.




    I've been following this thread and after reading this, I honestly have to ask...



    Do you really believe Duffer made the comment to offend you? My gut says he looked at it, thought it was helpful to post, but didn't comb through it to be sure it was 100% factual in it's explanation. Kind of an asterisk so any potential errors could be commented on without harsh criticism.



    Also, just curious on your last statement...you do realize that easyyy (the OP) is the founder/owner of GolfWRX and you essentially are stating that he stole the identities of these organizations (USGA/R&A) when he started the topic? It's entirely possible that easyyy has some dark tendencies to misdirect us in the world of golf, but I would speculate he found an image (Jpeg or PDF) online potentially as a reference to the USGA Moble app that listed the top 20 rule changes and wanted to post it for others to reference. Obviously as you pointed out, there are items in that list which should better clarified.




    I don't know what that comment is supposed to achieve, to me it sounded rather snarky. That's why I was wondering, like I mentioned, I think better of Duffer and it surprised me.



    Secondly, no, I do not have knowledge of who the founders or owners of this site are. I'm not stating he stole the identities as I suspect he'd be the one behind this list as it has been making the rounds online since October. If easyyy was behind it, it would've reached the WRX back then, not now.



    I don't know what such "borrowing" of other organizations' logos without permit would be called but yes, I doubt such use would not be legal. In case case easyyy isn't behind this, doesn't his posting it also cause issues? Shouldn't the original source be credited? As a founder/owner easyyy should definitely be aware of such things.



    As a last point, again, as the founder/owner, shouldn't easyyy be checking and double checking the information they are putting out on their own platform? Shouldn't they be asking is this information really what it claims to be? Why not go for the original source that's definitely going to be correct? Both the USGA and the R&A have similar lists easily available but this is the one used.
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,815 ✭✭
    duffer987 wrote:

    Halebopp wrote:

    duffer987 wrote:


    For folks that like pictures with their overview, I really like this simple PDF from Ogbourne Downs GC in England:

    https://www.ogbourne...hanges-2019.pdf



    Note: It's not super duper official, so the adjectives used and the scale and definition of the images may offend some.




    I can't help but believe you're trying to take a stab at me, Duffer. I had a thought you'd be above such attempts at low blows.



    That's a well-done presentation, why would it offend anyone? Although the slide about alignment help could use a different header, the body of text does cover the essence of the rule properly though.



    If you can't see a difference in putting out helpful, factual information and making things up (or posting misinformation) and attempting to basically steal the identities of other organizations to give it credibility, well, I don't know what to say.


    I should of put a image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> on it - I meant no general or specific offense, I was obviously (I thought) poking fun at some of the responses in this thread, while sharing what I hoped would be a useful overview. If I was going to take a pop at someone I'd have left no doubt image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

    I've actually sent the link to my golfing mates cause while it might not be 100% spot on, it helped me oot.

    And also as Ska points out, I generally don't know if it's wholly accurate.




    I wasn't offended, should I say, just slightly irritated and surprised. image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />



    Such lists are helpful for the masses as people aren't used to reading rules books when it comes to their hobbies. One could just hope the information shared on such lists would be correct and wouldn't lead to more trouble down the line. Hopefully your friends won't be taking free relief from embedded balls in bunkers and penalty areas. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
Sign In or Register to comment.