Recoil 95/110 fitting

straycat9

I am 61 years young. Was a high digit handicap at one time now around a 14. A 7 iron is my 155 club and have a 10 yard gap between irons. Ball flight is medium to high. Have been playing Ping G25 and G irons with the stock steel shafts stiff flex. Going to be ordering a set of G410 irons.

My body is starting to rebel against me and want to try out some UST Recoil graphite iron shafts. What flex (F3/F4) and weight (95/110) would you recommend for me? Have done a search here and read UST Recommendations.

Thanks Tim

Could be either f3 or f4 depending. Mizuno offers recoil 95 no up charge so you can easily demo them in f3 or f4. Ping offers smacwrap 780 no upcharge and you'll find the f3 easily, maybe f4. Ping will do 95s or 110s for (I think) about $30-40/club adder.

Fwiw I'm in similar age/speed range as you, 6i ss mid 80s, moderate tempo (now, used to really go after it, low 90s 6i ss and I'm 6'4" 240).

Have recently played recoil 95 f4, 110 f4. I liked both but going lighter now per MD suggestion to manage injuries and therefore trying smacwrap 780 F4.

Smacwrap 780 is obviously available in taper tip (otherwise ping couldn't sell it), but it is descending weight. Does that really matter? You can read various opinions. Ok so your 9i shaft is maybe 1.5g lighter than 8i shaft. But the 9i head is 7g heavier so your total 9i weight is heavier. Can I sense 1.5g shaft weight delta on a 400g club? Nope. If I could, but liked it otherwise, I would put a little lead tape just below the grip and call it a day. Smacwraps are getting nice reviews, apparently very easy on the body.

I like recoils - the 110 will keep you close to steel weight but you can try the others and see. You might be ready for lighter. Btw I keep a backup iron set with accra 80is (used them post surgery on the other shoulder) - hit them recently pretty well, so optimistic about going lighter now.

Good luck.

I'd lean more toward F4 - but I agree it could be either F4 or F3 depending on your particular preferences for feel from the shaft.

Also, if you are still comfortable with the weight of the stock Ping Steel shafts or have tendencies to be a bit overly aggressive in transition, I'd go with the 110's. If you want to try a little bit lighter or tend toward a smoother transition, then go with the 95's. Again, it's really all about your particular preferences. If any major retail stores near you, you can probably find the Recoil 95/110's in some of the OEM fitting carts and you can demo them yourself.

FWIW, I'm similar to you (except a couple years younger) and would play the 95's in F4 soft stepped x1.

I have a set of F3 Recoil 95's in a set of i200s that I just replaced with a set of Cobra Forged Tec Blacks with Recoil 95 F4, soft stepped 1x. The i200's suited me very well but I personally prefer a slightly firmer feeling in irons. But I can play either. My driver swing speed is 99-100 and I have a pretty smooth transition.

I echo the above recommendations to try out a few different clubs in F4 and F3. I honestly think you could split the difference by soft stepping F4s a few times and you'll get something in between.

For wedges, I had 95's in my i200s, but I went with 110's (ss 1x) in the Cobras. I just like a slightly heavier feel in the wedges.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

This is the kind of info I was looking for. Thinking of going with the 95 with a soft stepped F4 flex. Played DG s300 and 400 shafts early in my life. As I have grown older have been playing the lighter and softer ping shafts in stiff flex.

I think the lighter 95 will fit me as I continue to age. Have always taken an aggressive swing at the ball so I think I need to be some where between the F3 and F4 to have a good dispersion.

Your opinions are valued thanks. Keep them coming. Tim

My driver ss is 95ish, 7 iron 145-155, I played Recoil 95 F3 in my Callaway Apex's and they suited me well.

I noticed that I'm not getting any younger ... weird ....

I played the same set up, but found I could get the big draw when I swung at it hard.

I have similar SS to yours, and am always between Reg and Stiff. I tend to be more accurate with the stiff.

I think it depends on the individual swing, and the flight you prefer.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I could probably play f3 but noticed lie angle issues if I went after it a little i.e. ball went high/right. I hit the ping black lie ok with smooth swings, pressing a little I needed blue, really pushing needed green to avoid toe drag high/right.

I just ordered blue with F4, expect to bend longer irons a smidgen upright, short irons smidgen flat (usually do this, nothing new).

For me it's more a bow down lie angle issue than anything.

Anyway f4 soft stepped sounds about right and you should be able to find demos to confirm. I remember hitting mizuno recoil 95s so must be in their fitting cart.

• 6 months later...

I play the F4 and it's not particularly stiff. Probably about the same as previous Project x 5.5's.

Excellent shaft.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

• 3 weeks later...

> @scotty_2987 said:

> Bumping this to see how these have been working out for you? Are you liking the 95’s?

Same.. how are the F3's working out? Feel like they are too soft or just right?

Ping G400 SF Tec 9* - Mitsubishi C6 Blue Shaft - Stiff @ 45.25"
Ping G 3w SFT @ 16* - Ping Alta CB - Stiff 
Ping G400 19* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 22* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 26* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Mizuno  919 Hot Metal Pro 6i-GW, Recoil 95 F3 
Mizuno S18 Wedges in 55* and 60*, Recoil F3
Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

• 1 year later...

Know this is an older topic. Just curious if y'all still feel good about your regular recoils?

I tested the regular and stiff in 921 hot metals. For some reason I consistently found center contact with the regular 95 recoils and struggled to hit the stiff consistently. I was swinging 7 iron 85-87 mph, which I would think is solid stiff flex. With the stiff I was anywhere from 114-122 mph ball speed but the regular was 120-122 every shot.  The f3 really seemed to time my swing up and strike pattern was much better.  Distance control was 3 yards with the regular and 13 with the stiff. 

I am a little concerned because the ball did curve a little more than I am used to.  Overall they really match up well with the 921 hot metals. Great smooth feel. 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I personally like the 95’s more than the 110’s in f4 .. I have both in different sets

my new favourites ???  95 prototypes softstepped .... AMAZING !!!!

7i swing speed 92mph fwiw

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

2 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I personally like the 95’s more than the 110’s in f4 .. I have both in different sets

my new favourites ???  95 prototypes softstepped .... AMAZING !!!!

7i swing speed 92mph fwiw

This is interesting to hear.  I was heavily thinking about either hardstepping standard f3 recoils, getting prototype 95 f3's, or softstepping f4's.  Really decided to just give the standard f3's a shot since the trackman data was so encouraging.  If they end up curving a bit much I'll do some tinkering.

The only negative I  can find is the PVD chrome finish.  Wish they were a simple flat black.

Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Although I regularly play 919 Hot Metals (fitted and re-shafted with SF 110), I recently picked up a couple of sets of 919 Forged sets with Recoil 95s (one set F3, and one F4).  Interestingly, both preowned 919 Forged sets with Recoils were 1/2” over standard Mizuno length, and 3/4” over other OEM standard length.  I wonder if that is how Mizuno builds their graphite sets, which is frankly a disservice if so.  I already had one set cut down, and now need to get the other set cut down.  

In any case, until I get the other set cut down and re-gripped, it is hard to compare apples to apples.  But as was said above, there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference between the F3 and F4 in my limited on-course testing thus far.  If I end up getting a set of 921 Hot Metals, I suspect I will go F4 SS 1X, but we’ll see.  Recoil 95s are very nice shafts, and easy on the joints.  

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2020 at 7:53 PM, jeffrey r said:

Although I regularly play 919 Hot Metals (fitted and re-shafted with SF 110), I recently picked up a couple of sets of 919 Forged sets with Recoil 95s (one set F3, and one F4).  Interestingly, both preowned 919 Forged sets with Recoils were 1/2” over standard Mizuno length, and 3/4” over other OEM standard length.  I wonder if that is how Mizuno builds their graphite sets, which is frankly a disservice if so.  I already had one set cut down, and now need to get the other set cut down.  

In any case, until I get the other set cut down and re-gripped, it is hard to compare apples to apples.  But as was said above, there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference between the F3 and F4 in my limited on-course testing thus far.  If I end up getting a set of 921 Hot Metals, I suspect I will go F4 SS 1X, but we’ll see.  Recoil 95s are very nice shafts, and easy on the joints.  

Have you been able to get some good thoughts from your testing? 

Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

5 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Have you been able to get some good thoughts from your testing? 

Good thoughts, no unfortunately.  But some thoughts, yes.  The season has been winding down here, and I actually just had my Recoil 95 F3 set cut down this week, so I gripped them up this week as well.  Rainout yesterday, and I ended up taking out a different set of irons today, but I did throw in the 919 Forged 8 iron with the Recoil 95 F3.

Bottom line, I still think that my original thoughts hold true.  The 95 F4 straight in is slightly stiff for me.  Playable, but firm.  The 95 F3 today was nice.  Didn’t really see any major issues when I hit it.  So, I’d say that 95 F4 SS 1X, 95 F3 HS 1X, or 95 F3 straight in, are probably good for me.  

And I do enjoy the Recoil 95.  Of course, all of that said, I have been playing really good golf with my C300 Forged with KBS Tour 105 stiff shafts (steel).  So, as usual, I am torn between steel and graphite.  I’ll see where I am as I can hopefully play some winter golf here in NJ, and then starting next season.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I play F4 ZT9s in an Apex 19 combo set and love the feel.  Absolutely love it.  Had a previous combo set mainly in Modus 105, and I guess it didn’t help that my swing was going through a bit of a ‘DUMPSTERFIRE’ moment/season , but I liked the 780 F4 I had in my 5i much, much more.  

I’m about buy a set of F4s and reshaft some Forged Tecs that are in $-Taper lites currently.  Just haven’t figured out which iteration.

• 1 year later...