What ever happened to Scratch Golf?

 Dr Rangelove ·  
Dr RangeloveDr Rangelove 1-putt-wonderClubWRX  792WRX Points: 55Posts: 792 ClubWRX
Joined:  in Equipment #1
I loved their wedges, irons weren't too shabby either, what ever happened to them?
Posted:
«13
3

Comments

  • 8overpar8overpar Spring hill, TNMembers  323WRX Points: 109Handicap: 4.9Posts: 323 Greens
    Joined:  edited Feb 7, 2019 #2
    Posted:
    915D2 9.5*
    915F 15* 
    716CB +2 up
    SM7 52*, Scratch PDG SS 56* & SM7 60*
    Cameron NP2 ProPlatinum
    TP5X or Snell MTB Black
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 Heaven? No, the Sand Hills... ClubWRX  6932WRX Points: 233Posts: 6,932 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #3
    BUT....the owners and Don White are back with National Custom Works.<br />
    <br />
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1596140-national-custom-works-official-thread/
    Posted:
  • 8overpar8overpar Spring hill, TNMembers  323WRX Points: 109Handicap: 4.9Posts: 323 Greens
    Joined:  #4
    Skaffa77 wrote:
    <br />
    BUT....the owners and Don White are back with National Custom Works.<br />
    <br />
    http://www.golfwrx.c...fficial-thread/<br />
    <br />
    Couldn't edit fast enough. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />
    Posted:
    915D2 9.5*
    915F 15* 
    716CB +2 up
    SM7 52*, Scratch PDG SS 56* & SM7 60*
    Cameron NP2 ProPlatinum
    TP5X or Snell MTB Black
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members  32248WRX Points: 1,819Posts: 32,248 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5
    Hopefully FairwayFred will chime in as he was the owner of the company.
    Posted:
  • trying2scratchtrying2scratch Members  1053WRX Points: 85Posts: 1,053 Bunkers
    Joined:  #7
    Haven't had the pleasure to try the irons, but still have the 8620 wedges in the bag. The grinds, shape, durability and price point were/are truly unmatched in the industry. <br />
    <br />
    It may be hard to compete with the big boys, but I would strongly suggest you caused them to take a good hard look at there products and adjust there strategies. Maybe a small win? Either way, I'm greatful you took the chance and started a great company. Thanks!<br />
    <br />
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Parts UnknownBanned  2446WRX Points: 142Handicap: 3Posts: 2,446 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Feb 7, 2019 #8
    Scratch Golf was cool. They had a nice studio and a great product. One of my friends just gave me a set of their irons to refinish and rebuild for him. They are very nice heads.<br />
    <br />
    Average golfer doesnt understand custom equipment. Average golfer wont pay a ton of money for clubs.<br />
    <br />
    Niche product with a limited customer base to start off...thats tough. Very difficult to convince a golfer why they need your product over something else they can buy at 20 different retailers in your area.<br />
    <br />
    Then you have to convince them the price is worth it...thats tough.<br />
    <br />
    Scratch had some fair deals on clubs, which is a shame more people didnt know about that.<br />
    <br />
    I dont think Scratch ever seen an avg golfer on a budget...I have never met a golfer with scratch irons that made less than 120K per yr.<br />
    <br />
    I get a haircut at a salon. I pay 60 bucks. A master stylist cuts my hair to perfection. I dont have any friends that do that. Some dont have the hair to justify it. Some just dont care. Some wont pay it.<br />
    <br />
    Sad to see a business like Scratch go, but we have National Custom Works now. And we always will have something like this with venture capitalists and trust fund babies who love golf.
    Posted:
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors  4430WRX Points: 647Posts: 4,430 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Feb 7, 2019 #9
    <br />
    Haven't had the pleasure to try the irons, but still have the 8620 wedges in the bag. The grinds, shape, durability and price point were/are truly unmatched in the industry. <br />
    <br />
    It may be hard to compete with the big boys, but I would strongly suggest you caused them to take a good hard look at there products and adjust there strategies. Maybe a small win? Either way, I'm greatful you took the chance and started a great company. Thanks!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    That's really cool glad to hear your still enjoying your 8620s! For $99 w custom stampings and 6 grinds, those were tough to beat.<br />
    <br />
    Big win in my book. I'm just a club HO at heart who LOVES golf equipment. I started Scratch literally because nobody made the wedges I wanted to play and I wanted to find a way to get them in my bag. Any way that I personally influenced the equipment industry for the better puts a big smile on my face.<br />
    <br />
    If anyone has any questions about the history of Scratch or anything like that I'm happy to answer them in this thread if I can.
    Posted:
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG:
    Twitter:
    (still a huge club HO)
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7299WRX Points: 1,360Handicap: 7Posts: 7,299 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10
    <br />
    I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very font memories of all we did there.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I didn't realize you were that young when this all started. If my memory isn't failing, I seem to remember you posting about this on Derrick's forum, prior to it coming to fruition. I'd just assumed you were another 5-10 years older. LOL<br />
    <br />
    Funny how our biases paint mental images. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

    Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

    Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29745WRX Points: 2,693Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,745 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #11
    It's crazy how time flies, and i have to remind myself that many new members might not remember Scratch Golf in their heyday. For those that don't, Scratch was THE brand here for quite some time. They had 2-3 standard sets, but you could get the full tour experience and get a completely custom set for something like 2500$ (very reasonable). As a lefty i was pretty jealous haha.....i wanted to order a fully customized set as a wedding present but there was less options for lefties which i understand...The point was, Scratch was the shizniiiiit. I mean you could get different finishes, custom sets....they were sweet<br />
    <br />
    It was unfortunate becomes it seemed like the challenges started when the company was experiencing it's most expansion and recognition, Hot list awards, LPGA and PGA staffers. I always wondered if that was the cause of the issues. Ari does not need to answer that i am just wondering aloud<br />
    <br />
    I will say that some members were probably too hard on Scratch at the end (though backlash to popular niche brands is also common online), because at the end of the day i can't imagine a company better exemplifying everything that we are as a site. I wish Scratch was still around
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 w/Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra F9 FW w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7
  • StonewalledStonewalled Members  1698WRX Points: 201Posts: 1,698 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Feb 8, 2019 #12
    tdk8180 wrote:
    <br />
    Scratch Golf was cool. They had a nice studio and a great product. One of my friends just gave me a set of their irons to refinish and rebuild for him. They are very nice heads.<br />
    <br />
    Average golfer doesnt understand custom equipment. Average golfer wont pay a ton of money for clubs.<br />
    <br />
    Niche product with a limited customer base to start off...thats tough. Very difficult to convince a golfer why they need your product over something else they can buy at 20 different retailers in your area.<br />
    <br />
    Then you have to convince them the price is worth it...thats tough.<br />
    <br />
    Scratch had some fair deals on clubs, which is a shame more people didnt know about that.<br />
    <br />
    I dont think Scratch ever seen an avg golfer on a budget...I have never met a golfer with scratch irons that made less than 120K per yr.<br />
    <br />
    I get a haircut at a salon. I pay 60 bucks. A master stylist cuts my hair to perfection. I dont have any friends that do that. Some dont have the hair to justify it. Some just dont care. Some wont pay it.<br />
    <br />
    Sad to see a business like Scratch go, but we have National Custom Works now. And we always will have something like this with venture capitalists and trust fund babies who love golf.<br />
    My compliments to your master stylist, your hair in your Avatar photo looks fantastic. I think you under paid. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /><br />
    <br />
    <br />
    On a more serious note my first encounter with Scratch golf was after finding a set of EZ1's and AR1's on the wall at Golf Town. I had heard about their wedges but didn't know they made irons. I can remember grabbing a 7 iron of each and heading into the sim. The EZ1's were a better fit for me over the AR1's. These were priced fairly high at the time for any iron on the wall. They were well admired but just didn't sell very well. I can remember the employee's fighting over who got to play the Scratch irons when the boy's were playing for money on the sim after hours. But....These 2 sets collected dust on the walls for 2 years before they discounted them 50% during Boxing Day sale. I can remember hitting the 7 iron again and getting a hole in one with it. The GT employee said he never even knew their was a actual hole on the simulator nevermind anyone getting a hole in one. Well had to buy them after that didn't i. Loved the feel of the EZ1's, fairly forgiving for a forged iron. These were the DS models [digger/slider] with my steep swing Digger Driver's would have been better for me. DW fitted models would have been my ultimate choice but being from Canada, the cost was very prohibited. <br />
    <br />
    Not sure if supplying golf retailers with clubs was Scratch golfs downfall, but as a budding iron ho from Canada I was sure happy to get my mitts on a set. <br />
    <br />
    Looks like National custom works has limitless upside. Some sweet irons coming out of that place.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • craz-ecraz-e Members  4380WRX Points: 460Handicap: 3Posts: 4,380 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #13
    Loved my scratch irons, gutted I missed out on a set of SB-1's
    Posted:
    Driver = Taylormade SIM 7* Hzrdus green 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Scotty Cameron 2020 Special select Del Mar
    Ball = Taylormade TP5 Pix
  • mothonmothon Members  72WRX Points: 72Posts: 72 Bunkers
    Joined:  #14
    I remember not too long ago seeing scratch clubs in the bags of a ton of good players at the local courses, so I went out and bought two 8620 wedges which i still game to this day. I don't see sratch clubs in any bags these days.
    Posted:
  • Pwood28Pwood28 Members  421WRX Points: 112Posts: 421 Greens
    Joined:  #15
    I recently picked up a set of EZ-1s and have been blown away. Such easy clubs to hit and probably the best looking large cavity of all time. I was so impressed that I jumped in to ordering a short set with NCW. Currently still keeping my eyes peeled for a set of SB-1s for the collection.
    Posted:
  • alexdubalexdub Don't check out of your hotel Rocco UtahMembers  1151WRX Points: 181Posts: 1,151 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Feb 8, 2019 #16
    Saw this thread and had to post a picture of my EZ1s. I bought the heads (brand new!) on the BST a few years back on a whim. Never played a forged cavity back before but thought it would be a fun project to play with. Threw in some ctapers and it was love at first 3 iron tee shot. In the words of the philosopher-poet Robert Marley — when it hits, you feel no pain.<br />
    <br />
    I've always tinkered with my irons and bounced around looking for the right set. Even when I had sets that I loved, there was always something off. You all know the feeling when half the set is perfect, but there are a few clubs that you don't really get along with. I thought that was normal until I snagged these beauties.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Posted:
    Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Ping i25 5w • Ping i25 4-U • Ping Tour W 54* & 60* • Ping WRX Milled Anser 0
    Shafts: Fuji ATMOS Black 6X • Fuji ATMOS Black 8TX • Nippon Modus 120X
    Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV
  • dogeatdog2dogeatdog2 Members  2WRX Points: 55Posts: 2 Starters
    Joined:  #17
    <br />
    I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very fond memories of all we did there.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Highway 97 - Mile Marker 55......? Sand Hills???? Pretty cool.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jpintocajpintoca Spam  13WRX Points: 0Posts: 13
    Joined:  #18
    very cool
    Posted:
  • kmckmc Members  207WRX Points: 75Posts: 207 Fairways
    Joined:  #19
    Glad to hear the good news! Just purchased 2 new sm7's to replace my 8620's. After 4 rounds, the 8620's are back in the bag. Another winter ho shopping experiment gone awry.
    Posted:
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members  711WRX Points: 223Handicap: 18.5Posts: 711 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #20
    alexdub wrote:
    <br />
    Saw this thread and had to post a picture of my EZ1s. I bought the heads (brand new!) on the BST a few years back on a whim. Never played a forged cavity back before but thought it would be a fun project to play with. Threw in some ctapers and it was love at first 3 iron tee shot. In the words of the philosopher-poet Robert Marley — when it hits, you feel no pain.<br />
    <br />
    I've always tinkered with my irons and bounced around looking for the right set. Even when I had sets that I loved, there was always something off. You all know the feeling when half the set is perfect, but there are a few clubs that you don't really get along with. I thought that was normal until I snagged these beauties.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Just fell in love with the look of those clubs.<br />
    <br />
    Can you tell about lofts and feel?<br />
    <br />
    I could buy only for the look and keep them as back up
    Posted:
  • IvyguyIvyguy Members  1638WRX Points: 281Posts: 1,638 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #21
    I am a constant follower of NC on Instagram, but I remember there was a picture of black scratch blades with orange skull and crossbones stamped on the back. <br />
    <br />
    For two years straight, every week i would find the picture and stare at it lol.<br />
    <br />
    I am currently hoarding cash to approach NC with a 5 iron bag that i want to build.
    Posted:
  • mguhlermguhler In the EtherMembers  738WRX Points: 124Handicap: 5Posts: 738 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #22
    <br />
    I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very fond memories of all we did there.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I have my last 8620 DS 47* currently in my bag. Afraid this season will be it's final run. The shape of those wedges fit my eye perfectly. Will be tough to find a comparable replacement.
    Posted:
    Cally Epic SZ 9* - Yellow HZRDS 6.0 65g
    Cally X2 Hot Pro 15* - Aldila Tour Green
    Srixon ZH45 #3 & #4 - Kuro Kage Black 70
    Mizuno MP-5 4-9 - Grafalloy ProLogic
    Scratch 8620DS 47* -Steelfiber i95s
    Vokey SM6/M Brushed Copper 54* & 58*
    Tour Cameron NP2
    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ode1ode1 Members  3130WRX Points: 253Posts: 3,130 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #23
    Not much of a "boutique" or JDM guy, but the EZ 1's look fantastic. Have not seen in person, but pics hopefully do them some justice, I bet they look better in person.
    Posted:
  • FredWombleFredWomble Members  551WRX Points: 115Posts: 551 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #24
    I still carry 53 and 56 1018 and also have 50 and 60 1018, 56 FIT, PDG and EGG 60. Nothing will top the 56 1018 (I have tinkered with other GW but the 56 has been in my bag the longest of all my current set-up). I ordered my first ever set of clubs "for me" from Scratch also, maybe 15 years ago. They were in the bag a few years, AR-1 with Hogan red and black ferrules. Spoke with Patrick Boyd a couple times on that set. I occasionally look for a backup 1018 56, it's just the perfect wedge for me. The NCW line looks to be a worthy next act that I hope will continue to generate buzz and grow.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s 10.0
    Cobra F8 3 with Aldila NV Blue 70 S 15.5
    Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
    Mizuno MP 20 HMB 5-6, MMC 7-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R
    Scratch 1018 53 / Chikara 1 dot (51 degree)
    Scratch 1018 KBS 56
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
    Yes! Mollie with Sense R grip

  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members  711WRX Points: 223Handicap: 18.5Posts: 711 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #25
    alexdub wrote:
    <br />
    Saw this thread and had to post a picture of my EZ1s. I bought the heads (brand new!) on the BST a few years back on a whim. Never played a forged cavity back before but thought it would be a fun project to play with. Threw in some ctapers and it was love at first 3 iron tee shot. In the words of the philosopher-poet Robert Marley — when it hits, you feel no pain.<br />
    <br />
    I've always tinkered with my irons and bounced around looking for the right set. Even when I had sets that I loved, there was always something off. You all know the feeling when half the set is perfect, but there are a few clubs that you don't really get along with. I thought that was normal until I snagged these beauties.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I tell you, it will take time, but I can promise that as soon I will find a set of those in good conditions with the same stamping, they will be mine!! I saw a set on the bay but instead of the cool “s” on the back, it has the full “scratch” writing, which is less cool to my eyes.<br />
    <br />
    Nice to have found something to hunt after DH89 putter.<br />
    <br />
    Any place other than BST and the bay?
    Posted:
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 Heaven? No, the Sand Hills... ClubWRX  6932WRX Points: 233Posts: 6,932 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #26
    dogeatdog2 wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very fond memories of all we did there.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Highway 97 - Mile Marker 55......? Sand Hills???? Pretty cool.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Nice observation...and you are correct.
    Posted:
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 Heaven? No, the Sand Hills... ClubWRX  6932WRX Points: 233Posts: 6,932 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Feb 8, 2019 #27
    Pwood28 wrote:
    <br />
    I recently picked up a set of EZ-1s and have been blown away. Such easy clubs to hit and probably the best looking large cavity of all time. I was so impressed that I jumped in to ordering a short set with NCW. Currently still keeping my eyes peeled for a set of SB-1s for the collection.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It's too bad...I had a very pretty set of SB-1s with DGS400 Tour shafts. I then ordered a custom Don White 2 iron. Sadly, I was tempted by the fruit of another...and traded them for a different set of blades...<br />
    <br />
    (Don't judge me too hard Ari).
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors  4430WRX Points: 647Posts: 4,430 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #28
    NRJyzr wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very font memories of all we did there.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I didn't realize you were that young when this all started. If my memory isn't failing, I seem to remember you posting about this on Derrick's forum, prior to it coming to fruition. I'd just assumed you were another 5-10 years older. LOL<br />
    <br />
    Funny how our biases paint mental images. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /><br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Yeah I was on Derricks forum and pretty much every other relevant forum starting with the Golf Online forum in 1997. Then when WRX started I pretty much just settled in here. I think alot of people thought I was older that I was then. It's different now going to the PGA Show and not being part of the young generation anymore. I turn 40 next month and I almost feel like a grizzled veteran. This year was my 22nd PGA Show in a row.
    Posted:
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG:
    Twitter:
    (still a huge club HO)
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors  4430WRX Points: 647Posts: 4,430 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #29
    dogeatdog2 wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very fond memories of all we did there.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Highway 97 - Mile Marker 55......? Sand Hills???? Pretty cool.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    My favorite place in the world......
    Posted:
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG:
    Twitter:
    (still a huge club HO)
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members  8738WRX Points: 349Posts: 8,738 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #30
    Ivyguy wrote:
    <br />
    I am a constant follower of NC on Instagram, but I remember there was a picture of black scratch blades with orange skull and crossbones stamped on the back. <br />
    <br />
    For two years straight, every week i would find the picture and stare at it lol.<br />
    <br />
    I am currently hoarding cash to approach NC with a 5 iron bag that i want to build.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I lusted after a set of Scratch irons and couldn’t ‘pull the trigger’. Kicked myself when the shop doors closed. I didn’t make the same mistake with NCW. <br />
    <br />
    My issue right now is that the heads have been in the hands of Canada Customs for nearly a week. Some man/woman is probably ogleing or fondling them as I type this.<br />
    <br />
    “Kind sir/madam, can you please release my clubs so I can complete this journey?”
    Posted:
    Cobra King F9 10.5*
    Cobra F9 14.5*
    Cobra 18.5*
    Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
    NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
    Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
    Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors  4430WRX Points: 647Posts: 4,430 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #31
    Ivyguy wrote:
    <br />
    I am a constant follower of NC on Instagram, but I remember there was a picture of black scratch blades with orange skull and crossbones stamped on the back. <br />
    <br />
    For two years straight, every week i would find the picture and stare at it lol.<br />
    <br />
    I am currently hoarding cash to approach NC with a 5 iron bag that i want to build.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I know exactly what set you are talking about, those were sweet!!
    Posted:
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG:
    Twitter:
    (still a huge club HO)
3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.