Anyone else given up playing but still watching/reading?

RaesmusRaesmus Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

Hey,

So a short background here. I picked up the game a few years ago, was about age 25. Took a beginners course, got the "license" needed to play on real courses, not just pay-and-play. Practiced alot, probably 30 hours a month during the summer, playing alot of short holes for practice and some 18-hole rounds (stopped getting invited due too bad). So after 3 years I just gave up on playing, I played myself down to 30 hcp but if I couldn't keep up with the practice it went up again, and I couldn't really enjoy the game with all the outs/thins/fats/push-slices 50-75% of all strokes. Kind of sad to quit, but the game took more than it gave back.

However, I never stopped watching golf tournaments, reading forums and watching technique videos on youtube. It feels like I'm kind of experiencing golf and playing through watching and reading about it, which is an alien feeling to me. I mean, the normal thing would be to play when you are young and healthy. Looking around forums, I rarely see people in my position, it's like either youre bitten by the bug hard, and golf as much and watch as much as possible, or just quit cold turkey.

Anyone else that can relate? Why did you quit? Why do you keep watching? Do you want to start playing again? Whats stopping you?

Have a nice one!

Comments

• tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,385 ✭✭

I'm just the opposite ... I'm quitting watching and reading and just playing.

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • bermudabermuda Members Posts: 806 ✭✭

I haven't played in about 14 months due to time and budget but still read about and talk about and watch golf. I'd like to start playing again but don't see it happening more than 1-2x/yr.

• ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 730 ✭✭

My best years are behind me at 65 years, slowing swing speed and some arthritis. Also, I don't play nearly as frequently as I did five years ago. I keep my bag in the trunk, usually ending up at the range or the park with a shag bag. The guys I used to play with have had health issues or simply dropped out of the game, and I don't play frequently enough to play tournaments at the senior level.
    I think your continued interest in the game, even from an "armchair" perspective, is completely normal. I can see myself doing that eventually. I think we can all relate to those great shots on the course . . . the pleasure and satisfaction that one gets from it. When we see those shots, we relate to that feeling.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,334 ClubWRX

@Raesmus said:
    Hey,

So a short background here. I picked up the game a few years ago, was about age 25. Took a beginners course, got the "license" needed to play on real courses, not just pay-and-play. Practiced alot, probably 30 hours a month during the summer, playing alot of short holes for practice and some 18-hole rounds (stopped getting invited due too bad). So after 3 years I just gave up on playing, I played myself down to 30 hcp but if I couldn't keep up with the practice it went up again, and I couldn't really enjoy the game with all the outs/thins/fats/push-slices 50-75% of all strokes. Kind of sad to quit, but the game took more than it gave back.

However, I never stopped watching golf tournaments, reading forums and watching technique videos on youtube. It feels like I'm kind of experiencing golf and playing through watching and reading about it, which is an alien feeling to me. I mean, the normal thing would be to play when you are young and healthy. Looking around forums, I rarely see people in my position, it's like either youre bitten by the bug hard, and golf as much and watch as much as possible, or just quit cold turkey.

Anyone else that can relate? Why did you quit? Why do you keep watching? Do you want to start playing again? Whats stopping you?

Have a nice one!

Offering this with all respect. Have you taken lessons from a professional? The wrong practice can ingrain really bad habits. Perhaps if you had someone give you the right things to work on, the 30 hours of practice can get you down to a bogey golfer.

• ctsgolfctsgolf Members Posts: 71 ✭✭

If I couldn't play/practice a couple times a week I would be a miserable human being (I live in upstate NY, so winters are tough). That said, I started young and learned the technical aspects of the game early. I had a tough time making the shift from "competitive golf" to "casual/social golf" after high school and didn't play much throughout college because of it. Picked the game back up a couple years ago and have a tough time going a week without it.
    Like someone else mentioned, it might be worth getting a professional lesson or two and seeing if you could find that spark again. I'm sorry you stopped getting invited out because of your skill level. Learning how to love golfing by yourself would also help a lot.

Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX 2.0  52°, 56°, 60°
    Miura  KM-006 

6/10; Monroe Invitational [Q]  |  Monroe Golf Club (NY)
    6/22; (RDGA) District Champ [Q]  |  FarView Golf Course (NY)
    6/30; (NYSGA) Men's Amateur [Q]  |  Wayne Hills Country Club (NY)

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,851 ✭✭

weather keeps me off the course, sometimes for months on end. Thank goodness for the tour wrap around season , without it I would probably lose interest.

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • chal0072chal0072 Members Posts: 348 ✭✭

I kind of quit watching and just practicing and out playing. Last week Masters was my first time watching golf this year and because it was raining where I was.

Cobra King LTD 
    Tour Edge EX10 3w
    Callaway Apex 3h, 4h
    Fourteen TC 788 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 52 58
    Taylormade Spider Black putter
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭

The longest i have went without playing a rd of golf in the past 20 years is one week.
    If i go more than 2 days not teeing it up ( bad weather) i get really twitchy. Total and complete addiction, some people like museums, some like hanging out in baseball stadiums, i like to watch the flight of a well-struck golf ball.
    Give it another shot, get a few lessons, walk the course. It really is the game of a lifetime.

• RaesmusRaesmus Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

@DavePelz4 said:

Offering this with all respect. Have you taken lessons from a professional? The wrong practice can ingrain really bad habits. Perhaps if you had someone give you the right things to work on, the 30 hours of practice can get you down to a bogey golfer.

Appreciate the feedback! I've had 3 lessons with the golf club pro, who said my swing was more than fine. According to him, it certainly looked like a swing that could get down to 20 or so fairly easy. It probably wasnt the technique that held me back, but rather the "feel". I don't know how to put it, but if I wasnt at training or playing short holes about 20-30 hours a month, every time when I gripped the golf club it felt like I was holding it for the first time. I would have thins/fats/ slices all over the place and I would have to put the time in to make it feel doable again. I probably could get in 30 hours, but with a 2-year old and another on the way I would have to focus all my spare time on solely golf and that's quite a commitment.

Also, just want to thank you for all the great content you put out for the golfing community. I've learned alot from your videos and articles, they're great!

• CelebrosCelebros Vandalia, OHMembers Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 5:02pm #11

My father-in-law took that route twenty years ago. Poor play, family, work, etc all led him to give up playing, but he always watched golf and followed the game closely.
    After being married to his daughter for over 8 years, I FINALLY got him out playing again last year. We bought him a decent set of clubs (Adams hybrid set with senior shafts) last fall and he's more amped up to play than I am this year, lol.

Cobra KING F9 Speedback (9*)
    Callaway Steelhead Plus 4+ (15*)
    Cobra KING Forged Tour (3-GW)
    Cobra KING WideLow (56*)
    Cobra KING Pur WideLow (60*)
    Odyssey 2-Ball (Original)
    Vice Pro+
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX Posts: 6,356 ✭✭

I moved away from my beloved RTJ trail and golf for me not the same. Courses around me now are not offering near the quality and experience for the money. Golf clubs have gotten stupid $$$$ and just no games/leagues/tourney's that I can find. I played once last summer and hut balls every once in a while.
    I do watch when I have time.

"We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 440 ✭✭

@Raesmus said:

@DavePelz4 said:

Appreciate the feedback! I've had 3 lessons with the golf club pro, who said my swing was more than fine. According to him, it certainly looked like a swing that could get down to 20 or so fairly easy. It probably wasnt the technique that held me back, but rather the "feel". I don't know how to put it, but if I wasnt at training or playing short holes about 20-30 hours a month, every time when I gripped the golf club it felt like I was holding it for the first time. I would have thins/fats/ slices all over the place and I would have to put the time in to make it feel doable again. I probably could get in 30 hours, but with a 2-year old and another on the way I would have to focus all my spare time on solely golf and that's quite a commitment.

Also, just want to thank you for all the great content you put out for the golfing community. I've learned alot from your videos and articles, they're great!

Wait, Rae, do you think @DavePelz4 is the "short game bible" Dave Pelz?

wait, is he?

just curious because you mentioned all the viedo's and articles..

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,334 ClubWRX

He's DP1, I'm 3 levels of ability removed hence DP4.

• legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,629 ✭✭

Still practice a lot, still watch, still think about golf quite a bit. But don't play rounds very much. As I get older my tolerance for slow play and ordinary folk shrinks. Anything over four hours feels too long now. And there's the meeting new people and the small talk etc. Getting harder for me to disguise my indifference towards random partners. I just want to play. Don't need no new friends, don't care what you do for a living, your kids/grandkids/pets etc. Don't want to get to know ya. I am a decent conversationalist and people tend to mistake that for actual interest, I think. That's why I have grown to love winter golf here in the tri-state area. Not a lot of small talk going on on the course when its 35 degrees, and certainly no slow play.

• lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,250 ✭✭

@moonshine said:
    I moved away from my beloved RTJ trail and golf for me not the same. Courses around me now are not offering near the quality and experience for the money. Golf clubs have gotten stupid $$$$ and just no games/leagues/tourney's that I can find. I played once last summer and hut balls every once in a while.

You can't find quality golf courses in South Carolina!!!????

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX Posts: 6,356 ✭✭

@lawsonman said:

@moonshine said:

So yes and no...and not even close to RTJ. I'm 89 miles from Myrtle but Charleston area or Greenville where I grew up not a whole bunch of premium choices.

"We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • haroleaseharolease Members Posts: 612 ✭✭

When I quit playing I lose interest in watching as well. Goes hand in hand.
    I did watch Tiger and his win at the Masters That’s all the golf I read and watch so far this year

• shortstop20shortstop20 Hit 'em straight! Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭

@Raesmus said:
    Hey,

Have a nice one!

30 hours of practice per month and 30 handicap? Get help from a professional teacher because what you were doing wasn't working.

• GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 597 ✭✭

I've quit a few times over the years, always went back. I think about it more often now, but I keep playing and just don't care that much, just to have fun, talk trash with my buddies, enjoy being outside and not at work.
    It's a lot less stressful when you don't give a f*** and just play for the occasional birdie or well struck shot.

Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,156 ✭✭
    edited Apr 29, 2019 6:56am #21

@moonshine said:

@lawsonman said:

@moonshine said:

So yes and no...and not even close to RTJ. I'm 89 miles from Myrtle but Charleston area or Greenville where I grew up not a whole bunch of premium choices.

Not to pour salt in already open wound, but for me, the actual act of swinging a club and hitting pure shots does so much more for my enthusiasm than the actual course I'm playing. Sure, I do enjoy a really nice, premium course, with great scenery and all that, but as long as the greens are smooth and the fairways mostly grass, I can play equally enjoyable rounds anywhere. I played Sentryworld last fall, and it was impeccable, but I was so focused on my good play that I really hadn't taken in the course itself. I was strictly business, with yardages, bailouts, smart tee shots, etc. and had a good round. There are special tracks that would undoubtedly get my full attention, but 90% of the others all "feel" pretty similar. I guess some primarily enjoy the game, while others are more apt to enjoy the walk.

'16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • Exactice808Exactice808 Just want to hit ball far and go find it... Members Posts: 4,472 ✭✭

Playing partners Slowed down, they lost their "Mojo" not much of going to play by myself or get paired with randoms.....Pulled a "Tony Finau" about a month ago and dislocated my ankle walking down a slight hill trying to jump over the cart path only guards (string attached to stakes)....landed funny and popped the ankle......down for the count as well........ I think the most excitement golf related was screaming at my TV this past masters.

Playing Golf has some what left me..... the excitement to go out.... spend money on green fees........ has been over ruled by kids tuition and lack of drive........ Not sure what happen but yups..... its on the deep back burner..... to bad.... played a LOT of golf the last 7 years....

Titleist 915D3 
    TM M2v1 - 
    TM 18* M2 
    TM TP MC 4 & 5 PX 6.0 Rifles
    Cobra AMP Cell Pro 6-PW PX 6.0 Rifles
    Titleist SM5 Vokey50*/8*, 54*/10* & 58*/8* X100's
    Scotty Newport 2 33"