Ping vs. Srixon

Lakers2020

I'm currently shopping for new irons. I've been testing Srixon 585's and Ping i210. I like both irons a lot and am torn on which one to get. My numbers with a 6-iron are 168 carry, 5410 spin, 29 yards peak height, 45 descent angle. They're both nice - I'm about a club longer with the 585's but I like the look of the i210's over the Srixon.

What do you think?

If distance is a need for you and you like the distance the 585's provide you can always get the i210's in Power Spec. Which is anywhere from .5*-1.5* stronger than their standard lofts.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

According to the Maltby website, the Srixon 5-iron is 2-degrees stronger than the i200 5-iron. The Maltby playability factor gives both sets a similar rating, 504 to 474 which is close enough to call it a wash. The distance gain on the Srixon irons is due to the “jacked” lofts. Are the shafts identical in each set you’re testing? AG is correct. Ping offers Power Spec.

Huge Srixon fan here, but would strongly consider the Pings if you like the looks better. The i210 is has a really nice combination of everything most people would need in an iron, and it sounds like they fit your eye. That would mean more to me than a few yards.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

• Like 1

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @GolfChannel said:

> Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

There’s only one thing that feels 100x better than an i210, and we don’t speak of such things on GolfWRX.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Srixons, easy

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

> @GolfChannel said:

> Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

I disagree. Middle vs middle, yes, the forged iron will feel/sound better. The Pings are among the best feeing irons I’ve ever played (I’ve played quite a few too including 565) if you are even somewhat of an inconsistent ball striker.

Titleist TSR2+ 12.75*
Ping G425 19.5*

Titleist TS2 4h 22*
Ping i210 5-PW
Vokey SM8 52*/58*
Ping Prime Tyne
Titleist Pro V1

> @Indygolfer85 said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

>

> I disagree. Middle vs middle, yes, the forged iron will feel/sound better. The Pings are among the best feeing irons I’ve ever played (I’ve played quite a few too including 565) if you are even somewhat of an inconsistent ball striker.

Most Pings yes (see iBlades), i210’s not so much. The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel. Again, my only complaint is they seemed to have a natural draw bias and I don’t want the ball to go left. The i210’s are the lifeless version of an excellent iron in the i200. Depends if you want soft (Srixon), click (i210), or a smash/thud (i200) like feeling on shots.

Just hit the iBlades. They are easier to hit than you think, soft off the face for cast, and ridiculously user friendly through the set.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

> >

> > I disagree. Middle vs middle, yes, the forged iron will feel/sound better. The Pings are among the best feeing irons I’ve ever played (I’ve played quite a few too including 565) if you are even somewhat of an inconsistent ball striker.

>

> Most Pings yes (see iBlades), i210’s not so much. The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel. Again, my only complaint is they seemed to have a natural draw bias and I don’t want the ball to go left. The i210’s are the lifeless version of an excellent iron in the i200. Depends if you want soft (Srixon), click (i210), or a smash/thud (i200) like feeling on shots.

>

> Just hit the iBlades. They are easier to hit than you think, soft off the face for cast, and ridiculously user friendly through the set.

Agreed. iBlade is silly forgiving for the size. That said, they are soft in a dull way - they don't feel forged. They do feel nice, however.

• Like 1

> @balls_deep said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

> > >

> > > I disagree. Middle vs middle, yes, the forged iron will feel/sound better. The Pings are among the best feeing irons I’ve ever played (I’ve played quite a few too including 565) if you are even somewhat of an inconsistent ball striker.

> >

> > Most Pings yes (see iBlades), i210’s not so much. The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel. Again, my only complaint is they seemed to have a natural draw bias and I don’t want the ball to go left. The i210’s are the lifeless version of an excellent iron in the i200. Depends if you want soft (Srixon), click (i210), or a smash/thud (i200) like feeling on shots.

> >

> > Just hit the iBlades. They are easier to hit than you think, soft off the face for cast, and ridiculously user friendly through the set.

>

> Agreed. iBlade is silly forgiving for the size. That said, they are soft in a dull way - they don't feel forged. They do feel nice, however.

I agree, couldn’t figure out how to describe it. Pure shots feel great, but powerful and solid. Not clicky at all like the i-series is prone to (even my beloved i200). Pure, but not in a forged kind of way where sometimes you didn’t even realize you hit a ball, but more of a satisfying smash that you just want to step back after the shot and look around so everyone else can admire it.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > > Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

> > > >

> > > > I disagree. Middle vs middle, yes, the forged iron will feel/sound better. The Pings are among the best feeing irons I’ve ever played (I’ve played quite a few too including 565) if you are even somewhat of an inconsistent ball striker.

> > >

> > > Most Pings yes (see iBlades), i210’s not so much. The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel. Again, my only complaint is they seemed to have a natural draw bias and I don’t want the ball to go left. The i210’s are the lifeless version of an excellent iron in the i200. Depends if you want soft (Srixon), click (i210), or a smash/thud (i200) like feeling on shots.

> > >

> > > Just hit the iBlades. They are easier to hit than you think, soft off the face for cast, and ridiculously user friendly through the set.

> >

> > Agreed. iBlade is silly forgiving for the size. That said, they are soft in a dull way - they don't feel forged. They do feel nice, however.

>

> I agree, couldn’t figure out how to describe it. Pure shots feel great, but powerful and solid. Not clicky at all like the i-series is prone to (even my beloved i200). Pure, but not in a forged kind of way where sometimes you didn’t even realize you hit a ball, but more of a satisfying smash that you just want to step back after the shot and look around so everyone else can admire it.

Absolutely. The forgiveness is actually so surprising given the size. Interestingly though, my local fitter told me he feels like it is the least forgiving in the bracket of clubs I've been trying. I really like them, I'm going to reshaft with PX 6.0 if I keep them though. The S300 just feel like I'm always having to hold have speed. If I hit it hard I'm spinning them too much. Tend to get too much shape right to left as well. I preferred the Cobra MB and 919T to the iBlade during a recent fitting though.

I don't trust Srixon spin at all - I have argued with many on here about it but I'd rather have to hit a knockdown rather than work to hit it high with spin. I know this sounds opposite to the above but I just found the PX 6.0 better than s300 for me. I still get the spin, height, and descent I need with them. The Srixons are very spotty for distance control. Feel amazing though.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > > > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > > > Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

> > > > >

> > > > > I disagree. Middle vs middle, yes, the forged iron will feel/sound better. The Pings are among the best feeing irons I’ve ever played (I’ve played quite a few too including 565) if you are even somewhat of an inconsistent ball striker.

> > > >

> > > > Most Pings yes (see iBlades), i210’s not so much. The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel. Again, my only complaint is they seemed to have a natural draw bias and I don’t want the ball to go left. The i210’s are the lifeless version of an excellent iron in the i200. Depends if you want soft (Srixon), click (i210), or a smash/thud (i200) like feeling on shots.

> > > >

> > > > Just hit the iBlades. They are easier to hit than you think, soft off the face for cast, and ridiculously user friendly through the set.

> > >

> > > Agreed. iBlade is silly forgiving for the size. That said, they are soft in a dull way - they don't feel forged. They do feel nice, however.

> >

> > I agree, couldn’t figure out how to describe it. Pure shots feel great, but powerful and solid. Not clicky at all like the i-series is prone to (even my beloved i200). Pure, but not in a forged kind of way where sometimes you didn’t even realize you hit a ball, but more of a satisfying smash that you just want to step back after the shot and look around so everyone else can admire it.

>

> Absolutely. The forgiveness is actually so surprising given the size. Interestingly though, my local fitter told me he feels like it is the least forgiving in the bracket of clubs I've been trying. I really like them, I'm going to reshaft with PX 6.0 if I keep them though. The S300 just feel like I'm always having to hold have speed. If I hit it hard I'm spinning them too much. Tend to get too much shape right to left as well. I preferred the Cobra MB and 919T to the iBlade during a recent fitting though.

They are all comparable, I got on with those irons as well along with the MP18 MB’s. I was quite surprised how good the Cobras were. However, what sold me was how much more forgiving the long irons were in the iBlades. I have never got on with hybrids and while a mixed set sounds sensible I am too anal retentive to ever actually go that route.

I am looking to reshaft the iBlades in September with something heavier than the AWT 2.0 stiff I am currently using.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > > > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > > > > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > > > > Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I disagree. Middle vs middle, yes, the forged iron will feel/sound better. The Pings are among the best feeing irons I’ve ever played (I’ve played quite a few too including 565) if you are even somewhat of an inconsistent ball striker.

> > > > >

> > > > > Most Pings yes (see iBlades), i210’s not so much. The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel. Again, my only complaint is they seemed to have a natural draw bias and I don’t want the ball to go left. The i210’s are the lifeless version of an excellent iron in the i200. Depends if you want soft (Srixon), click (i210), or a smash/thud (i200) like feeling on shots.

> > > > >

> > > > > Just hit the iBlades. They are easier to hit than you think, soft off the face for cast, and ridiculously user friendly through the set.

> > > >

> > > > Agreed. iBlade is silly forgiving for the size. That said, they are soft in a dull way - they don't feel forged. They do feel nice, however.

> > >

> > > I agree, couldn’t figure out how to describe it. Pure shots feel great, but powerful and solid. Not clicky at all like the i-series is prone to (even my beloved i200). Pure, but not in a forged kind of way where sometimes you didn’t even realize you hit a ball, but more of a satisfying smash that you just want to step back after the shot and look around so everyone else can admire it.

> >

> > Absolutely. The forgiveness is actually so surprising given the size. Interestingly though, my local fitter told me he feels like it is the least forgiving in the bracket of clubs I've been trying. I really like them, I'm going to reshaft with PX 6.0 if I keep them though. The S300 just feel like I'm always having to hold have speed. If I hit it hard I'm spinning them too much. Tend to get too much shape right to left as well. I preferred the Cobra MB and 919T to the iBlade during a recent fitting though.

>

> They are all comparable, I got on with those irons as well along with the MP18 MB’s. I was quite surprised how good the Cobras were. However, what sold me was how much more forgiving the long irons were in the iBlades. I have never got on with hybrids and while a mixed set sounds sensible I am too anal retentive to ever actually go that route.

>

> I am looking to reshaft the iBlades in September with something heavier than the AWT 2.0 stiff I am currently using.

Interesting... I should maybe try the 4-6 irons in the Cobra if I want to go that way. They fit my eye but you're right - the long irons in the iBlade are silly easy to hit.

> @GolfChannel said:

>The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel.

And THAT is the point where I've got to call bullshit. Sorry. As long as you're not talking the MP 18 Fli His, there is miles between the 545, 565 or 585 and the Mizunos. Period.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Having played Srixon (765/565) and seriously considering i210, I think it's apples to oranges comparison. Feel is so subjective to each individual that it comes down to results and imo Ping makes equipment that is really consistent and predictable. They aren't flashy or do any one thing great but are just solid across the board. And there stuff wears like iron. It's a cliche answer but try both and see which one produces the most consistent results for YOU.

P.S. the V sole and low spin thing are over rated. Spin is a result of loft and strike and the V sole isn't magic. You can still hit them fat or thin like any other iron. I know from experience ?

> @Bunkersarebigcups said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> >The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel.

>

> And THAT is the point where I've got to call ****. Sorry. As long as you're not talking the MP 18 Fli His, there is miles between the 545, 565 or 585 and the Mizunos. Period.

>

>

They use softer carbon steel than Mizuno. Still a Mizuno guy if I was forced to choose, which is why I said rivaled not equals, but your ignorance is showing.