Ping vs. Srixon

Lakers2020

Buy what ever you think you will keep longer. Or better yet, buy both.

2nd round out with my i210 I shot a +2, 73 only hitting 4 of 11 fairways with the driver.

I had the z585, seemed to thin a lot of shots.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

> @2717B said:

> There are a couple guys atop the Open leaderboard that are playing 785’s! Enough said about spin and distance concerns!

It would be awesome if Lowry can pull off the Open win tomorrow; Srixon and Cleveland stocks would be deserving for notoriety.

I’m not sure why Srixon and Cleveland gets over looked when you consider major wins from k Bradly, McDowell and LPGA wins.

Personally, I do consider tour wins when buying an iron set, but that is just me.

• Like 1

Had 585 and now have 210s. I think the Pings are a better club even though they are shorter. To me they have been more accurate. Both irons are great and I think they are the 2 best manufacturers on the market for irons.

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @Bunkersarebigcups said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > >The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel.

> >

> > And THAT is the point where I've got to call ****. Sorry. As long as you're not talking the MP 18 Fli His, there is miles between the 545, 565 or 585 and the Mizunos. Period.

> >

> >

>

> They use softer carbon steel than Mizuno. Still a Mizuno guy if I was forced to choose, which is why I said rivaled not equals, but your ignorance is showing.

The face isn't though. They have such a muted feel because the face is welded on, almost hybrid like construction IMO

> @AG12 said:

> If distance is a need for you and you like the distance the 585's provide you can always get the i210's in Power Spec. Which is anywhere from .5*-1.5* stronger than their standard lofts.

> @AG12 said:

> If distance is a need for you and you like the distance the 585's provide you can always get the i210's in Power Spec. Which is anywhere from .5*-1.5* stronger than their standard lofts.

I've never heard of 'Power Spec.' Does Ping do that for you?

> @Moonlightgrm said:

> According to the Maltby website, the Srixon 5-iron is 2-degrees stronger than the i200 5-iron. The Maltby playability factor gives both sets a similar rating, 504 to 474 which is close enough to call it a wash. The distance gain on the Srixon irons is due to the “jacked” lofts. Are the shafts identical in each set you’re testing? AG is correct. Ping offers Power Spec.

Same shafts - Modus 105 S

> @Lakers2020 said:

> > @AG12 said:

> > If distance is a need for you and you like the distance the 585's provide you can always get the i210's in Power Spec. Which is anywhere from .5*-1.5* stronger than their standard lofts.

>

> > @AG12 said:

> > If distance is a need for you and you like the distance the 585's provide you can always get the i210's in Power Spec. Which is anywhere from .5*-1.5* stronger than their standard lofts.

> I've never heard of 'Power Spec.' Does Ping do that for you?

Yes wherever you order your clubs from when you custom order the PING's just ask for Power Spec. PING then bends the heads stronger for you.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

> >

> > I disagree. Middle vs middle, yes, the forged iron will feel/sound better. The Pings are among the best feeing irons I’ve ever played (I’ve played quite a few too including 565) if you are even somewhat of an inconsistent ball striker.

>

> Most Pings yes (see iBlades), i210’s not so much. The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel. Again, my only complaint is they seemed to have a natural draw bias and I don’t want the ball to go left. The i210’s are the lifeless version of an excellent iron in the i200. Depends if you want soft (Srixon), click (i210), or a smash/thud (i200) like feeling on shots.

>

> Just hit the iBlades. They are easier to hit than you think, soft off the face for cast, and ridiculously user friendly through the set.

I put the iBlade and Blueprint side by side and noticed the iBlade was a bit larger. Made me think they may be forgiving for a blade.

• Like 1

> @Krt22 said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @Bunkersarebigcups said:

> > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > >The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel.

> > >

> > > And THAT is the point where I've got to call ****. Sorry. As long as you're not talking the MP 18 Fli His, there is miles between the 545, 565 or 585 and the Mizunos. Period.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > They use softer carbon steel than Mizuno. Still a Mizuno guy if I was forced to choose, which is why I said rivaled not equals, but your ignorance is showing.

>

> The face isn't though. They have such a muted feel because the face is welded on, almost hybrid like construction IMO

>

Or it could your lac> @Lakers2020 said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @Indygolfer85 said:

> > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > Srixons will feel a hundred times better than the i210’s and perform to boot, but they have always had an inherent draw bias in my opinion. As always, test them first, there are plenty of them out there.

> > >

> > > I disagree. Middle vs middle, yes, the forged iron will feel/sound better. The Pings are among the best feeing irons I’ve ever played (I’ve played quite a few too including 565) if you are even somewhat of an inconsistent ball striker.

> >

> > Most Pings yes (see iBlades), i210’s not so much. The Srixon 5 series rivaled the MP18 series in terms of feel. Again, my only complaint is they seemed to have a natural draw bias and I don’t want the ball to go left. The i210’s are the lifeless version of an excellent iron in the i200. Depends if you want soft (Srixon), click (i210), or a smash/thud (i200) like feeling on shots.

> >

> > Just hit the iBlades. They are easier to hit than you think, soft off the face for cast, and ridiculously user friendly through the set.

>

> I put the iBlade and Blueprint side by side and noticed the iBlade was a bit larger. Made me think they may be forgiving for a blade.

They would make an excellent combo set if I was so inclined. That said, I still prefer the iBlade on the whole to the Blueprint. That could change with better shaft offerings.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I hit both irons and went with the i210 and I could not be happier. I think the i210 looks better than the 585.

I originally was going to go with the Callaway Apex, having had the Razr X Tours for sometime. The Apex went about 5 yards farther on average, but the shot dispersion was much better with the i210 and that was more important. It also helped they were like $400 less as well, ha.

Overall, go with is best for you and suits your eye.

• Like 1

> @Lakers2020 said:

> The prices for irons these days is getting up there. I like the 585 at address but not when they're in the bag.

Why I pretty much buy closeouts these days. I got my 565s right when the 585s were coming out for half the price.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I was a big Ping supporter until I had a few bad fittings and they messed up a few orders. I ended up going with Mizuno and then the Srixon Z585. The issue with the Ping’s for me was spin. I would spin the i200 iron around 7,500-8,000 rpms. I never tried the power spec, but I didn’t want to pay the money for an experiment. The Z585’s give me the feel, distance and control I need.

> @Krt22 said:

> You can get brand new srixons for a song if you go through the right channels

What channels would those be?

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

> @AG12 said:

> > @Lakers2020 said:

> > > @AG12 said:

> > > If distance is a need for you and you like the distance the 585's provide you can always get the i210's in Power Spec. Which is anywhere from .5*-1.5* stronger than their standard lofts.

> >

> > > @AG12 said:

> > > If distance is a need for you and you like the distance the 585's provide you can always get the i210's in Power Spec. Which is anywhere from .5*-1.5* stronger than their standard lofts.

> > I've never heard of 'Power Spec.' Does Ping do that for you?

>

> Yes wherever you order your clubs from when you custom order the PING's just ask for Power Spec. PING then bends the heads stronger for you.

All of them? Srixon gaps differently. Which gives less loft early. They use 5° gaps in the short irons and less in the long irons. Which for most players gives equally spaced carries.

Which is more important than the loft numbers.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @lefty74pgh said:

> I was a big Ping supporter until I had a few bad fittings and they messed up a few orders. I ended up going with Mizuno and then the Srixon Z585. The issue with the Ping’s for me was spin. I would spin the i200 iron around 7,500-8,000 rpms. I never tried the power spec, but I didn’t want to pay the money for an experiment. The Z585’s give me the feel, distance and control I need.

I spun the i200s with powerspec lofts and Recoil 110 F5s, more than any iron I have ever hit. Don't know if it was the shaft, swingweight, combo of the two or something else. I have played recoil 95s and 125s in other clubs, spin was never an issue. Never understood it.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I would say compare the 585 to the Ping G410 and the 785 to the 210. I think the 210 feels better than the 585, which has a spring face welded to it — no different than a Mizuno Hot Metal. I don’t think the softness of the steel used for the body matters because the 585 is not a one-piece forging anyway. Of the Pings, I like the i200 in looks and performance better than the 210. The 200 has a lower COG. The 785 is a one-piece forging delivers that forged feel if that is important to you.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @stumptown said:

> > @Lakers2020 said:

> > The prices for irons these days is getting up there. I like the 585 at address but not when they're in the bag.

>

> Check out the 785s. Were never on my radar when I was testing because my top two were the same as yours. My fitter made me try them and I haven't looked back.

A combo set like the Champion Golfer of the Year works as well.

> @manima1 said:

> Don't sleep on the Srixon 7-series. I think most are really surprised how forgiving they are for a one piece forged construction. They are actually score nearly 80 points higher on the maltby play-ability factor than the ping 210's.

A lot of people refer to MPF scores when comparing iron head forgiveness. I've never found much correlation between MPF and how forgiving an iron iron actually is unless you are comparing a 300 MPF with a 700. Regardless of the MPF scores, Ping i-series irons have generally been reviewed as the most forgiving when you see group tests of better player irons, and that goes as far back as i3's and even earlier.