GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

2020 Ben Hogan Icon blades

Comments

• molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MOMembers  197WRX Points: 128Posts: 197 Fairways

Drool... These are so nice! Currently playing the older Ft. Worth blades, but these, these are darn good looking.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BreimanBreiman Members  41WRX Points: 27Handicap: 14Posts: 41 Bunkers

Oh these are to die for. But my wife just told me NO F-ING WAY MR !!!!

Posted:
  • cjblake09cjblake09 Members  2146WRX Points: 210Posts: 2,146 Platinum Tees

I just got the demo set and here are some pic vs my 718 AP2 6 and 9 irons. The irons do feel great and i have also demoed the PTX Pro's. I am really leaning to the combo set just need to settle on what shafts i want. Like others have said i am not a big fan of the grips either.

Posted:
  • avant_gardeavant_garde Members  11WRX Points: 22Handicap: PGA Professional Posts: 11 Bunkers

@cjblake09 how would you describe the feel of the new generation Hogan irons post TK?

My club builder here in Oz felt the last iteration weren’t as sweet a feeling.

Im keen on the combo set and I’ll have it pulled apart and moi-ed with some Mitsubishi graphites.

Posted:

I have demoed both the PTX Pro and the ICON and both feel great on well struck shots. Obviously the ICON's are a little more harsh when not a solid strike bit you dont lose that much in terms of distance. I wish you could go 7-PW on the combo set but they are not offering that right now. Both great clubs depending on your skill level but for me the combo set is what i am leaning to.

Posted:
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  3057WRX Points: 512Handicap: 7.6Posts: 3,057 ClubWRX

So if you can get the PTx Pro and Icon in black, wonder why you can’t order the same as a combo set in black?

Posted:
    Ping G30 SFT driver, 10 degree, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75 stiff
    Cobra F9 Speedback, 14.5 degree, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Callaway Epic Flash, 17 degree, HzRDUS Smoke 70 stiff
    Callaway Rogue, 21 degree, Diamana BF 80 stiff
    TaylorMade GAPR Hi 24, KBS TGI 80 stiff

Srixon z765 (5-7(, z965 (8-P) Fujikura 95i TS stiff
    Callaway MD4 50 S grind, 54 W grind
    Ben Hogan Ft. Worth TK 58
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line putter w/Pure grip

Advertisement

Yeah i saw that as well and was going to call about it but have not had a chance.

Posted:
  • cg0rd0noo7cg0rd0noo7 Members  13WRX Points: 14Posts: 13 Bunkers

Probably because they just haven't started offering it yet. They usually release the black versions of a set after they release the chrome versions

Posted:
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  3057WRX Points: 512Handicap: 7.6Posts: 3,057 ClubWRX

Just curious. I think the black irons look nice and have played a few black wedges, but tend to buy chrome irons.

Posted:

I have just noticed they tend to release black version of things like a month after the chrome version.

Posted:
  • topoftheline89topoftheline89 Members  15WRX Points: 27Posts: 15 Bunkers

We can all agree they look great, but how do they hitt'em? Interested to see how they do for a mid handicapper who plays blades on occassion.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX  4787WRX Points: 536Handicap: 3.2Posts: 4,787 ClubWRX

My buddy just got these, but he's a + HCP.... he says they are absolutely awesome.. I had the Ft Worth black, but never gave them a good run, and I kind of wish I did. Maybe the Icons deserve a go....

Posted:
    Ping G400 9*
    Titleist 917f2 16.5* 
    Adams Red 20* 
    Srixon Z745 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50, SM7 56
    Toulon Palm Beach 34"

• jefftrout14jefftrout14 Members  7WRX Points: 13Posts: 7 Bunkers

Just got off the range so I figured I would give my feedback. I ordered both the PTx Pro & ICON Demo. I consider myself a decent ball striker and the ICON’s outperformed the PTx by a decent margin. I found trajectory, shot dispersion, and distance more consistent with the ICON. I did not think miss hits were that punishing either. Both had KBS Tour V X shaft. Currently gaming TaylorMade SDLR, not exactly a players iron. I planned on combo set but would only game the ICON’s if I were to place an order.

Posted:
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  5557WRX Points: 1,196Posts: 5,557 ClubWRX

I wonder how many new owners of the Icon irons are in the process of reshafting them already? Well if nobody has then I might be the first. I have a set of Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts on the way (4-PW, GW and SW). The shafts should arrive mid week so I will be removing the KBS Tour V 110 stiff shafts tomorrow and cleaning them for resale. Then I will prep the heads to be ready to reshaft once the Modus Tour 120s arrive. Have to love the equipment tinkerers here on GolfWRX! 😁

Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
    TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
    Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

I will be re-shafting mine quickly after they come... most likely.

They should offer more shaft options even if they have to order them and it takes longer to assemble. It’s not like they would have to sit on the stock they could just wait for them to come and assemble them then.

Posted:
  • staysober for golfstaysober for golf Low carb guy Members  1080WRX Points: 122Handicap: 10Posts: 1,080 Platinum Tees

i love them and i miss my 99 set but i will only order them with 4&5 super game improvement irons and rifle shafts.

now a days i only play 9 holes a weekend so i need to max those games everytime.

they will sell, the price is really friendly and people will flock to them.

Posted:
    WITB:

8D* F9, HZDS B. S. 44 1/2"

14.2U* TS2, NV S. 42 3/4" 
    17.5U* R15 Stock S. 40 3/4" 
    4 & 5 Iron EPIC Stock S. 
    6-PW X2H Pro Stock S. 
    56* X forged, Stock S.
    ODYSSEY WIDE B/W 

Advertisement
  • Herm33Herm33 Members  486WRX Points: 79Posts: 486 Greens

Digging all the feedback so far on these. As someone who played or tinkered with Redlines, Apex II's, Apex Plus, and FTX's over the years, this ICON is very intriguing. I'm probably in the minority but I think one of the things I would do is strip off all the paintfill on them except for the sunburst logo. I'm happy to see Hogan was able to keep that piece of their branding history and excited to see them using it again on this iron.

Shaft options continue to leave quite a bit to be desired as I'd love to see another couple choices in that 110-120 weight class. But at their price point, as many have mentioned, re-shafting doesn't put you too far in the hole.

Posted:
  • SimpSimp Members  3013WRX Points: 220Posts: 3,013 Titanium Tees

My current irons have KBS Tour 120's (stiff). How are the Hogan KBS shafts compared to what I have? Just 10 grams lighter? Different profile? Different flight characteristics etc? Thanks!

Posted:
    WITB
    Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
    TM M3 15°
    Adams Idea Pro 22°
    Hogan Icons 4-P
    Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
    Callaway MD4 64°
    Ping Sigma Darby
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  5557WRX Points: 1,196Posts: 5,557 ClubWRX

My Icons just underwent a shaft transplant.

I've replaced the KBS Tour V 110 stiff with Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts. Epoxy is curing. I'm debating whether to add a wooden dowel down each shaft for vibration dampening or not. BestGrips Augusta MicroPerf grips ready to go on.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
    TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
    Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

The Tour V for most players will launch a little lower and spin a little less than the standard Tours. It’s also feels a little stouter to me. I like it as I spin most shafts too much and the Tour V fights the wind a bit better. It is the shaft KBS basically designed for Phil Mickelson and he has played it for a long time. He plays the 125-gram version.

Posted:

• SimpSimp Members  3013WRX Points: 220Posts: 3,013 Titanium Tees

Thank you! I appreciate your info! Sounds like coming from the KBS Tour 120's shouldn't be a steep transition.

Posted:
    WITB
    Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
    TM M3 15°
    Adams Idea Pro 22°
    Hogan Icons 4-P
    Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
    Callaway MD4 64°
    Ping Sigma Darby

Advertisement

Just my experience but I feel the Tour V stiff at 110g feels as stiff or even a little firmer than the Tour at 120g. The Tour V is a little more shaft than some expect but at the lighter weight, I like that because a lot of those lighter shafts spin a lot and/or feel less stable. It’s smooth but not soft.

Still, Hogan’s shaft limitations are a drawback. If a guy wants the Modus 120 or Project X 5.5 or Accra 95, they should be able to turn those orders even if they have to order the shafts and wait. It seems like a fulfillment challenge but solvable. They’re on to a good model but broad selection is important to us golf geeks. I wish Hogan offered the TGI graphites in these heads. The Icons would be incredible in a low torque graphite shaft.

Posted:

What is also irritating is they won’t just send you the heads... literally I asked for the heads so I didn’t have to go through the trouble of pulling the shafts they are putting in and replacing them... they said they do not do that.

Posted:
  • dhl28dhl28 Members  150WRX Points: 62Posts: 150 Fairways

how does ICON blade length and top line compare to some of the blades available today? particularly compared to honma rose proto, ping blueprint, wilson model blades, cobra mb.

Posted:
  • dhl28dhl28 Members  150WRX Points: 62Posts: 150 Fairways

i asked about buying single iron from them few months back and they told me "no can do". not sure what the reason is.

Posted:

They released the blended set options on May 5th. 8-PW in the icons in the blended sets. PTX pros in 7i-5i. And you get to chose between a couple of different options for your long irons - PTX pro 4i, UiHi 4i or a hybrid. These are your options you cannot decide where the set will switch between the icons and the ptx pros.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • awtryau89awtryau89 Hoschton, GAMembers, ClubWRX  1534WRX Points: 309Posts: 1,534 ClubWRX

On the Tour V conversation, I played them for a while about 5 years ago. I have always been a PX player and KBS recommended them as the best fit for me. Since then I have tried the C Taper Lite as well. The Tour V is definitely the best shaft for me as someone that is constantly fit into PX. I have since migrated back to PX LZs as they seem to be the best for me as I get older and want a touch more smoothness. The Tour Vs are a very butt stiff shaft that loses stiffness into the tip. They will definitely feel stiffer over comparable weight shafts because most of their heft is in the handle area. They are not hard to load at all. They just feel different. I found they launch easy, get up quickly and flatten out with less spin. Just one persons experience so take it with a grain of salt.

Posted:

Good assessment. I also consistently get fitted to PX Rifle, CTaper Lite, etc., so Tour-V fits right in, slightly easier to load. I was hitting various shafts the other day and which one did I like best? PX Rifle Flighted 6.0 that they don’t even make anymore.

And I think that’s why I like the TGI as well. It’s based on Tour profile. Only with graphite they can very precisely tune the stiffness in each weight class.

The other Ben Hogan stock KBS offering — the Tour 90 — doesn’t get talked about as much. But it’s really a midweight in stiff — a 102g shaft —and I wonder how it would perform hard-stepped? Not a weakling. This test on it is interesting.

Posted:

• 3_Jack_Par3_Jack_Par Members, ClubWRX  6367WRX Points: 373Posts: 6,367 ClubWRX

I'm hoping they'll have demo clubs back available soon. I'm not really in the market for new irons, but the black Icons look great, and I could see picking up a set as a backup that could eventually transition to my gamers. I like the idea of the 4-degree loft progression, because it would allow me to tighten up the loft gaps in my wedges a little better, because I could drop a long iron (the icon 4-iron is the same loft as my SB-1 3iron), and with the 46 degree PW in the Icon set, I could go to 50-54-58 degree wedges, which would theoretically give me more options for shorter shots. I'm generally pretty comfortable hitting less than full shots with wedges, and I've spent time on Trackman dialing in how far I hit it with different length backswings, but having smaller gaps would seem to eliminate some of the guess work and touch that you need to have to play those shots.

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 9* (set to -1.5*), 44.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
    Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Aldila Rogue Silver 80TX
    Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X (or Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x)
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
    Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200 (sometimes)
    Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34"
    WITB Link

Advertisement

Any updates from the inaugural Icon owners?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.