***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

PXG 0811 X+ Prototype Round 1

Comments

• JunglelandJungleland Members  624WRX Points: 124Handicap: 9Posts: 624 Golden Tee

Would love to see the milled wedges go on special, I’d jump on those in a heartbeat

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • skailehskaileh Members  79WRX Points: 33Handicap: 13.3Posts: 79 Fairways

They don't even put previous season's wedges on sale and they were one of the only items not to go on sale during the pandemic (not even the forged ones) when they put nearly everything else on sale. So if it doesn't happen then I doubt it ever happens, but I guess you never know.

Posted:

PXG 0811 XF Gen2 - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S

PXG 0341 X Gen2 3W - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S

PXG 0317 X Gen2 22* - ACCRA Tour TZ6 Proto 85H M3

PXG 0311 XP Gen3 4i-GW - Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54* - Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 Stiff

PXG 0311T Darkness 60* - Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 Stiff

Scotty Cameron Custom Shop 2020 Special Select Newport 2

• LobberLobber Members  2587WRX Points: 251Posts: 2,587 Titanium Tees

Played a couple of rounds over the weekend. Moved heavy weight from back to front which brought spin down and seemed to lower ball flight a bit. I did not notice a decline in forgiveness which I consider excellent after 4 rounds. I’m going to tweak loft a bit and see what impact that has. Also going to get on a launch monitor to get some actual spin numbers. All and all I am very pleased this far

Posted:

I have two more rounds in since Sunday and have reached some definite conclusions. I prefer the Tensei White Pro to the PX Riptide Blue counterbalance. Playing at 45 inches has improved my contact and accuracy. Keeping the heavy weight in the back gives me longer carry and a bit better dispersion than up front. Distance is consistently good for me 260-270 total which at age 63 I’ll take. Sound, feel and looks are first rate Dispersion is excellent on good hits and bad. Overall a great Driver for me

Posted:
  • ajlacombeajlacombe Members  348WRX Points: 105Posts: 348 Greens

I played my second round with the 0811 X+ tonight and I have to say I love this driver. It is set in small minus and has the Riptide CB 50 6.0 with the Lamkin Z5 PX grip. It definitely does better higher on the face for me. The sound is a thud - you can not tell much from the sound but you can feel when you bust it. Very little spin side to side and it launches high and just seems to hang there. You know you hit one well when the comments in the group are things like wow :)

I bought this as an experiment and now this thing is telling me that my TS3 and Epic Flash SZ need to visit the BST :) I just hope the rest of the PXG clubs I have coming are homeruns like this one. Hard to describe this club, but I can say you just know when a club feels "right". This is going to be a fun season

Posted:
  • soflasofla Members  1727WRX Points: 133Posts: 1,727 Platinum Tees

After playing another round, my opinion is solidified. Solid strikes are longer than anything (do not know why they just are) but not as forgiving as the TS3 or the Mavrik I was borrowing.

Posted:
    PXG Proto X+
    Callaway Mavrik 15
    Srixon H85 19 & 22
    Titleist T200 5-GW
    Titleist SM6 54 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Advertisement
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  3368WRX Points: 1,458Posts: 3,368 Titanium Tees

I just played with a buddy that got his proto driver - it sounds terrible - like a hollow beer can. Performance is good though.

Posted:

Epic Flash - Motore X F3 / Pro 2.0 7 / Apex 19h - Pro 2.0 8 / Apex 19 - Apex Pro 19 1050Gh HSx1 / MD5 / Phantom X5.5 - SS Mid Slim 2.0

Haha on the sound. I think it sounds great, but I also like the sound of the Epic Flash SZ - which most hate. I would equate it to a very dull sound that is very different than other drivers I have heard in the past. If I stripe it down the middle, I think I like however it sounds :) You know you are hitting it long when other people make holy crap comments when you hit it, but with this thing, I am the one saying holy crap once I see where the ball is. In my third round with it last Sunday, I hit a few drives on that course where I had not been before. One in particular was a dogleg right and I commented before the shot that trying to cut the corner is not a wise move, then I hit a bit of a fade over the tree at the corner. I thought I was just on the other side, but I was 50 yards past that tree - needless to say it put a big smile on my face. Then I thin my approach over the green :)

Posted:
  • snagy2000snagy2000 Members  1949WRX Points: 447Posts: 1,949 Platinum Tees

She may be ugly to you, but she performs, she's a keeper!!! If it sounded off, your buddy wasn't hitting it in the sweet spot...It sounds exactly the same as Gen 2 with a nice wooden baseball bat thud when nutted...

Posted:
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  3368WRX Points: 1,458Posts: 3,368 Titanium Tees

He's a teaching pro and hits it 300 easy and an insane swing speed, doubt he's not hitting it pure.

Maybe it's the shaft - some shafts can change the acoustics. He went to a session with the mobile fitter and for some reason they fit him into a blue profile shaft in X flex. I would think someone with his speed and distance needs a more stout black profile but...

Posted:

Epic Flash - Motore X F3 / Pro 2.0 7 / Apex 19h - Pro 2.0 8 / Apex 19 - Apex Pro 19 1050Gh HSx1 / MD5 / Phantom X5.5 - SS Mid Slim 2.0

My experience with the sound is completely different. Sounds nothing like a tin can when I hit it. More like a persimmon wood

Posted:

Advertisement

That is how I think it sounds. I played another round tonight and the thing is very straight for and it just flies down range. I am thrilled with it. I think it has knocked the TS3 and Epic Flash Sub Zero out of the bag. It is a fairway finder, that is also long as **** for me :)

Posted:
  • prouse25prouse25 ILMembers  396WRX Points: 109Handicap: 2Posts: 396 Greens

Completely agree. Played my first 9 holes with it (Proto+ with Vertus Blue). Unbelievably straight. Significantly straighter than my Epic Flash. Length was fantastic. I demo'd the Gen2 driver for a couple of weeks last year. Could not come close to my Epic. The Proto is a different animal.

Posted:
  • peteypropeteypro Members  116WRX Points: 67Posts: 116 Fairways

My first round assessment is the ball goes very high but when hit solid it was satisfying.

Posted:

Can lower the loft which I have done and gotten a lower ball flight. Also try putting the heavy weight forward and you will see a lower ball flight I believe

Posted:
  • RN4LGolferRN4LGolfer ColoradoClubWRX  281WRX Points: 73Handicap: 4.7Posts: 281 ClubWRX

Has anyone found the shorter shaft to be an annoyance? I found that it's 1.25" shorter than my Ping driver

Posted:
    Ping 410 LST 9*
    TM SIM TI 5W 
    PXG Gen 2 Hybrid 19*
    TM P790 4-PW 
    Callaway Jaws 50*
    Callaway Jaws 54*
    Callaway Jaws 58*
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 

Advertisement

How long is your PING driver? The 0811 should be 45" - I love the 45" - I like gripping the driver at the end of the grip and this works out perfectly for me. Sounds like your PING is either really long or your PXG is short? PING should be 45.75" and the PXG 45"

Posted:

It is 45 inches and shorter than others including Ping. I play my irons over length as

I am 6 ft 4 in but absolutely have adjusted to 45 inches and hitting more fairways!

Posted:
  • RN4LGolferRN4LGolfer ColoradoClubWRX  281WRX Points: 73Handicap: 4.7Posts: 281 ClubWRX

I measured both from the grip to the bottom of the head down down the shaft. The PXG measured 44.5" and the Ping 45.5". A full inch shorter.

Posted:
    Ping 410 LST 9*
    TM SIM TI 5W 
    PXG Gen 2 Hybrid 19*
    TM P790 4-PW 
    Callaway Jaws 50*
    Callaway Jaws 54*
    Callaway Jaws 58*
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers  646WRX Points: 160Handicap: Happy GilmorePosts: 646 Golden Tee

Did you buy both of them stock? The PXG stock is 45" and the Ping stock is 45 3/4". If you ordered them both stock there should be 3/4" of a difference. I could not imagine trying to swing a 45 3/4" driver. I personally play between 44.5" and 45" (I'm 5' 10" for reference).

Posted:
    PXG 0811x Proto 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 2 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping iblades 4-PW PX LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 3.0 50/54/58 DG TI
    Evnroll ER2cs
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes

Stock on both. I'm 5'10" as well. I noticed the difference the first time I picked up the PXG and took a couple of practice swings.

Posted:
    Ping 410 LST 9*
    TM SIM TI 5W 
    PXG Gen 2 Hybrid 19*
    TM P790 4-PW 
    Callaway Jaws 50*
    Callaway Jaws 54*
    Callaway Jaws 58*
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 

Advertisement
    Posted:

When I called them they said that was right. The measurement they gave me was from the grip to the bottom of the center of the club head, 50". I'm going to go to my fitter and see what he thinks. Still haven't decided if it's going to kick my 410 LST out of the bag. Might be going up BST soon.

Posted:
    Ping 410 LST 9*
    TM SIM TI 5W 
    PXG Gen 2 Hybrid 19*
    TM P790 4-PW 
    Callaway Jaws 50*
    Callaway Jaws 54*
    Callaway Jaws 58*
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 
  • soflasofla Members  1727WRX Points: 133Posts: 1,727 Platinum Tees

I know the heavy weight is 15g what are those lighter weights?

Posted:
    PXG Proto X+
    Callaway Mavrik 15
    Srixon H85 19 & 22
    Titleist T200 5-GW
    Titleist SM6 54 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

2.5g

Posted:
  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members  2363WRX Points: 242Posts: 2,363 Platinum Tees

Put the 0811X+ into play and it knocked out both of my gamers ( SIm8* and 9* ). Club is actually low/mid launch and low spin for me, I have it set with heavy weight in front and the big - lower setting. It carries well and does extremely well on windy days. Ive only done a couple launch monitor sessions and 1 round of play and I still have a 0811X Proto to try out, but I really don't see how the X will knock out the X+ ???

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SM8SM8 Members  43WRX Points: 96Handicap: Varies-Betting or BraggingPosts: 43 Bunkers

It looks like you have a good month of play with this X+. Wondering if it is still performing as described?

Put in an order yesterday with the exact setup, and coming from the Gen2 9degree setting +1.5.

Posted:

Great question - I have quite a bit of stick time on this one and a few others I bought. Here are random thoughts:

I love this shaft - for me it is a great fit - I do not ever feel like I lose the shaft - it is always right there with me and it is not a board - it allows me to load it and it unloads predictably, without ever lagging my swing. My miss is a low left snap hook shot - that is pretty well gone. I can still hit a low left shot, but there is more distance and it is not such a big miss.

The clubs is not self-driving and you can hit a sh&tball with it, but if you make a reasonable pass at it, the things is awesome.

The ball seems to jump off the face with a baseball bat sounding crack - with little spin. I hit a draw and it still draws, but I can hit a fade and I am not hitting those "hard draws" that are hard to control. The counterbalanced nature of the shaft make it lighter feeling but you can still feel the clubhead and it is not like just swinging a feather light club that you can not tell where it is - in that case my swing is erratic while I am swinging harder (wildly) trying to find the feel of the clubhead.

Long winded way of saying I still really like this club and my Epic Flash SZ and TS3 are going to be hitting the street :) The PXG 0811 X+ is not magical but it is pretty close and it fits me very well.

Gen 2 irons are taking a while to meet used to my yardages and dialing in my setup so I hit a more predictable draw with the longer irons. The Gen 2 FW is awesome as well - I have the 15º 3W. More clubs coming if they make their way out of the FedEx Home Triangle :)=

Andy

Posted:
  • SM8SM8 Members  43WRX Points: 96Handicap: Varies-Betting or BraggingPosts: 43 Bunkers

Thanks for the response. Good to hear that you are getting past the honeymoon period, and still loving it.

i am stoked to get mine and put it through the paces, but a little concerned because I have never played a 50 g shaft.

I’m thinking the counter balance Will redistribute the weight to offset the Lightness

Posted:

Advertisement

The 50g shaft is actually 55g - I think. There are two things in play the overall weight and the swing-weight, well there is also the shaft profile too. It all goes together to see if it works for you. Too many things to go through on how it could work for you, but unless you try a lot of setups it is hard to know if it is optimized. For the common people (non-pros) we just need something that is close. I like a bit of head feel and I can not have the shaft lag on me - or lead. I think the counter-balancing actually makes it feel lighter. Give it a shot and see how it goes.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.