Any Single-Digit Handicappers Play Game-Improvement Irons?

Mackdiddyp

I am curious if Any Single-Digit Handicappers Play Game Improvement Irons.

Right now, I play blades. But at the moment, I am intrigued by some sets of game-improvement irons (Callaway XF), and the technology behind them.

Do any of you play game-improvement irons? And if so, what are some Pros and Cons of playing them.

Thanks!

yep, i'm currently using Ping G30s, also have a set of srixon Z545s, but prefer the Pings, will be changing the g30s to a set of the new Gs as soon as.....just love the forgiveness of them, why make a hard game even harder by using clubs that require a perfect strike every time.....i'm not one of the usual wrxers that hit a driver 350yds and a wedge 150yds....just a normal golfer...240-250yds on a good day with my driver..Ping G30 sf tec 12 degree, and 110-115yd wedge...but am very straight...most of the time....get all the help you can and with todays tech you can a fair bit...if its there use it...

TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
Cobra F7 3 wood
Cobra F7 hybrid
Cobra forged tec black 4-GW
Cobra black wedges 54, 58
Evnflow ER2

bridgestone J40, Apex and Apex Pro, I am 4.3 hdcp and currently looking at a 716 apt/ap1 combo set.

[size=1][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Titleist [/b] - 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 917d - Aldila Rogue Silver
[b]Titleist[/b] - 915h 2 hybrid - Diamana Blue
[b]Titleist[/b] - TM UDI 4 iron with GD S flex (black) [/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - [/color][/font][/b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]714 AP2 5-9 KBS 110 tour V[/color][/font]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - SM5/SM6 [/color][/font][/b][color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif] 46/52/56 KBS 110 tour[/font][/color]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Callaway[/b] - PM Mack Daddy 60 KBS
[b]Scotty Cameron[/b] - Platinum[/font][/color]
[b][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][color=#0000ff]Titleist - Pro V1 or Kirkland Baby[/color][/font][/b]
[color=#0000FF][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]Foot Joy/Nike [/b] DNA or Lunar 3 [/font][/color][/size]
[size=2]Nike or FJ Apparel
Patrick Gibbons Belts[/size]

I am off 4 ATM and my irons are too easy to hit. They are callaway x-14's with regular graphite shafts. The move to them from blades with stiff shafts was easy and I will NEVER go back to blades or steel shafts. Golf became far more enjoyable when I made the change. You certainly can play better golf with game improvement irons. Ego for a lot of players gets in the way of sensible change even if they are told they should change.

"Game improvement" is such a vague description that it's hard to answer that. Some people consider a model like the Titleist AP2 to be a GI club. Where does "players cavity" end and "Game improvement" begin....I don't really know

Mizuno lists my irons as being targeted at 6-16 handicaps, i guess Mizuno thinks they are GI

So according to Mizuno i do....but i'd consider them more players clubs

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Hopefully every modern club would be "game improvement". I sure wouldn't want to play a game un-improvement iron. Sorry for the sarcasm. That being said, there are so many good choices from all the manufactures. The Titleist T-MB's really intrigue me. I purchased a set recently and will have a chance to play them next week. Titleist says they are closest in forgiveness to the AP1's - their most forgiving club.

"Game improvement" is such a vague description that it's hard to answer that. Some people consider a model like the Titleist AP2 to be a GI club. Where does "players cavity" end and "Game improvement" begin....I don't really know

Mizuno lists my irons as being targeted at 6-16 handicaps, i guess Mizuno thinks they are GI

Yep...yep...and yep..

scratch and play MPH5's. Mizuno rates them from 0-16 hcp and kinda of a game improvement iron for all types of players....previous post nailed it.

In all honesty, I'm around a 1 handicap, and I gave up the blades. My misses were getting worse every year. Went from the Tour MB's to the AP2's. Lost a club worth of yardage. I only stay competitive because I hit it long and can reach the par 5's. Go follow a top tour player when he ISN'T playing well. You'll see their misses with the blades are awful....The next question is do you go with forged cavity, or cast?.......

I would say cast cavity are game improvement, forged cavity for forgiveness AND feel, and blades for guys with big ego's....LOL

not sure what is classified a GI anymore other than the obvious. Does the iron have to be offset? Thick sole? Big cavity? Strong lofts? Longer shafts? I have never considered anything from Titleist as GI other than AP1. Mizuno has JPX line. I wouldn't consider MP's GI. What about something like Onoff Kuro? Is that GI? Srixon Z545? Or is it only the Z355's? I need a chart other than Maltby MPF. Or is that the bible of this topic? I haven't looked but I would bet the MPF on any Mizuno MP would not rate very high in forgiveness.

I've struggled with that as well over the years, and have tried many GI irons. Cally Apex, Titleist AP1, Ping G20. I like what I get the the 4 iron, but the 9i, PW, feel clunky and I have a hard time hitting all the shots with them, like knock downs.

I'd suggest a progressive set. I am currently playing the PING i series and like them a lot. GI where I need it (4i-6i) and smaller more "players" style in the 7i-AW where I want it. Best of both worlds.

I'm a 6 handicap right now.

not sure what is classified a GI anymore other than the obvious. Does the iron have to be offset? Thick sole? Big cavity? Strong lofts? Longer shafts? I have never considered anything from Titleist as GI other than AP1. Mizuno has JPX line. I wouldn't consider MP's GI. What about something like Onoff Kuro? Is that GI? Srixon Z545? Or is it only the Z355's? I need a chart other than Maltby MPF. Or is that the bible of this topic? I haven't looked but I would bet the MPF on any Mizuno MP would not rate very high in forgiveness.

The 545's would probably fall into GI, but the 355 would fall into SGI. If she's thick, and she's got exaggerated offset, its SGI. 745's would be a players cavity, and 945's being what I call a GI/MB

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

The 545's would probably fall into GI, but the 355 would fall into SGI. If she's thick, and she's got exaggerated offset, its SGI. 745's would be a players cavity, and 945's being what I call a GI/MB

Well the G30 seems to have a lot of offset to me. The Max is ridiculous. So is G30 just GI? What is I series? Players GI?

I don't but I should. Ii play with a guy who games G25 irons and he lets me,hit them on occasion. Without a doubt when I put the G25 in my hand on a par 3 I hit the green without fail. Not always the case with my Apex Pros. So this may be the year I put the ego away and use common sense. My hcp is 6

very sensible...ego is a game killer for a lot of golfers. I love it when people look in my bag at the start of a game and judge me based on my clubs.

Well the G30 seems to have a lot of offset to me. The Max is ridiculous. So is G30 just GI? What is I series? Players GI?

I wouldn't classify G30's to be SGI. Have you looked down at that 355 series?? They're....plump.

I play the original GI PING Eye 2s.

I also play Hogan Apex Redlines, Srixon I701Tours, and Titleist 755s. I rotate around when I get bored and my handicap doesn't waiver much at all.

The Eye 2s are a different animal - the fly high and straight, which is cool, but sometimes I want to move the ball around more.

I think most single digit players games would not change much using different irons.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I wouldn't classify G30's to be SGI. Have you looked down at that 355 series?? They're....plump.

What major OEM model would you compare Onoff Kuro's to? I assume most Japanese clubs aren't considered GI but I sure like the looks of the Kuro's. And am I correct that no way is any Mizuno MP model a GI iron?

What major OEM model would you compare Onoff Kuro's to? I assume most Japanese clubs aren't considered GI but I sure like the looks of the Kuro's. And am I correct that no way is any Mizuno MP model a GI iron?

Ya know I'm not sure. If you're referencing the 2015 forged Kuro's then you have me whipped. Although they have offset, they're a pretty slim package. I wouldn't even know where place them. As far as the MP's go, I'd have to agree. The H4/5 being the only thing in my opinion that would skim the surface for what I would think GI is.

The 355 are smaller than g30s, I have owned both.

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges