Any Single-Digit Handicappers Play Game-Improvement Irons?

Mackdiddyp

I'm "almost" a single digit (down to 11), and I play blades, and here is my rationale:

First, I was a 25 hcp 4 or 5 years ago, so I am improving rapidly. As my game has improved, I have changed equipment somewhat frequently to suit. When I got around 15, I decided to go to a forged cavity (Cally x-forged) primarily because my "fitting" suggested the either the x-hot pros or the x-forged, and my club-fitter / coach suggested to "buy up" so that the irons would stay with me a long time, AND he said "I've always felt that if you have appendicitis, you'd want to know that immediately rather than cover it up"...meaning, forged cavity and / or blades would give me instant feedback as I am improving. And he was right. My ball-striking improved immensely over the 2 years I played those Cally's.

Second, I seem to hit the "player's irons" every bit as well...maybe even better...than the GI irons. I ended up playing the Apex MBs primarily because I never really liked the PW in the X-forged set, and I replaced it with the Apex MB PW, and my "100-140 yd" game improved immediately. So I then decided to add the 9i, and found it to be at least as good as my other 9i, and it gave me more shot options I felt, and so I added it...and then of course I extended that logic up my bag to the point that now I have 4-P as Apex MBs and am about to buy the 3i. I tend to hit on or close to the sweet spot pretty often, so I've found that blades don't hurt my performance...they may even help it.

Finally, blades just look and feel right to me, and that may be the most important factor. They give me confidence. I feel better working them in different directions, playing a wider variety of shots, using them almost like wedges with certain shots, etc. It is probably mostly in my head, but the few times I've rented GIs recently (when traveling)...they just didn't look and feel right and they didn't perform as well. The offset just really drives me crazy, along with all of the bounce and the massive soles.

So that's my rationale...I'm playing blades for now. Maybe as I age I will go back "down" to GIs...

I'm off a 5.8 index play '69 hogan bounce soles with new shafts. I've played rounds with ap1 as a rental set on business travel and to be honest if your hitting in somewhat consistent your only going to get extra launch with gi irons. You have so many more options if you can even just half way control your club face and swing lines and path to create a lot more shot options with blades

Other then this I play 913 woods and sm4 wedges

These irons are slick with a great weight to them today's irons especially gi are so light to create "speed" it makes it harder to shape shots when required

This is no offense to others that can't it just this is the truth they are meant to hit straight and that's it for a lot this is true this is what they need

Give yourself an honest assessment from all aspects of your game not just your index number as a whole

Here is mine index I put myself at for each category

Driver 8

Woods and hybrid 4

Irons 3

Short game 5

Putting 6-7

Titleist TS4 10.5 project x smoke 6.5
Taylormade m6 5 wood project x smoke 6.5
Titleist 910H (Diamana Blue 60S, 21degree)
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW s300
Titleist sm7 chrome (54, wedge flex)
Titleist sm5 raw (58, wedge flex)
Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Ball (donations found in the trees)
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

"Game improvement" is such a vague description that it's hard to answer that. Some people consider a model like the Titleist AP2 to be a GI club. Where does "players cavity" end and "Game improvement" begin....I don't really know

Mizuno lists my irons as being targeted at 6-16 handicaps, i guess Mizuno thinks they are GI

So according to Mizuno i do....but i'd consider them more players clubs

Yep...yep...and yep..

scratch and play MPH5's. Mizuno rates them from 0-16 hcp and kinda of a game improvement iron for all types of players....previous post nailed it.

"Game improvement" is such a vague description that it's hard to answer that. Some people consider a model like the Titleist AP2 to be a GI club. Where does "players cavity" end and "Game improvement" begin....I don't really know

Mizuno lists my irons as being targeted at 6-16 handicaps, i guess Mizuno thinks they are GI

So according to Mizuno i do....but i'd consider them more players clubs

Yep...yep...and yep..

scratch and play MPH5's. Mizuno rates them from 0-16 hcp and kinda of a game improvement iron for all types of players....previous post nailed it.

hey , also a scratch thinking of moving into this iron, any feedback or words of wisdom ?

6 handicap that just switched from Mizzy forged to Titleist 716 AP1's. Really like the added forgiveness of the Ap1's and this years model is not near as bulky as previous years. Glad i made the switch.

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

Dropped my handicap from about a 9 to 5 since I picked up a set of 714 AP1s about a year ago. Was a 3 then lost my game about the age of 50 and struggled for 9 years, going as high as 14. The Misses with the AP1s are not as penal and I am regaining confidence in my game finally. Have been a club ho for most of my life, but these have found a long-term home in my bag.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

Just switched to a set of mph5, I'm not sure if these are classed as GI but I know they are aimed at handicaps up to the teens according to mizunos website. I had mx300 for the previous 5 seasons before that and my handicap came down to the lowest it's ever been (+3).I think to put it simply my golf would suffer massively if I switched to anything more 'player' like.

I have a friend who has won his club championship something like 12 or 13 times. He is not the longest guy around, but he hits it dead straight, and he makes putts.

For the last few years, he has been playing AP1's. With graphite shafts. Yes, he's over 60, but he is good enough to play anything. The fact that he plays a club that is easy to play, says something.

(I am a 7, and I play AP1's as well.)

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I have a question related to this topic, I asked a customer of mine who was a retired teaching pro I asked if I should play game improvement irons he said no way you will lose distance. im guessing with offset and weak shafts that is true? He based it off the fact that I'm pretty strong and good shape.

No Rob...when I changed from stiff shafts and blades to cast cavity irons with regular shafts nothing changed for me in regards to distance. Misses were certainly better and less stress on the arms and wrists.

Two thoughts. First, specific to the RAZR XF irons-- you can find them on sale though Callaway Preowned and get decent deals. I play them, but as a bogey golfer i am not the demographic you're asking for advice.

Second, and most important thought. These are the Most fun clubs i've ever hit. I have a set of Diablo Forged and a set of X-forged-- shoot nearly the same score with all of them, but i have consistently found that I have a more enjoyable round with the XF's. Check out Mark Crossfield's youtube review of the clubs. He's practically giggling through the video.

Extra joy and enjoyment... I'll take more of That please!

I'd consider myself an above average iron player, and I don't see much of a difference between a forged blade and a forged cavity. So, I don't consider any forged club as "game improvement". I've hit all the top irons out there and they are all similar, as long as your lie angle is right and the shafts are close. What people forget is they all have similar, yet different lofts per iron. You should hit this 7-iron farther if it has 2 degrees more loft.....lol

Does it really matter what a single digit plays, as long as it works for him?

I play a GI, I know scratch golfers that do as well. I also know some that play MBs.

The scorecard doesn't care.

Sage advice 'ol buddy! ....The scorecard is heartless!

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.0* (set to 11*)  PX EvenFlow 5.5 

Callaway Epic Flash 13.5* 3 wood   PX EvenFlow 5.5

Callaway Epic Flash 18* 5 wood   PX EvenFlow 5.5

Callaway Big Bertha $ Hybrid 19*   Recoil F3

TaylorMade M2 Irons (2016)  5-AW  FST Reax 88 Stiff

Titleist Vokey 54/12F  60/10S

Odyssey Toe-Up #9  34"  

Titleist Pro V1x

I'd consider myself an above average iron player, and I don't see much of a difference between a forged blade and a forged cavity. So, I don't consider any forged club as "game improvement".

Adams CB3, Mizuno EZ Forged, Srixon z545, Bridgestone J40 DPC? Others I am sure...

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I am curious if Any Single-Digit Handicappers Play Game Improvement Irons.

Right now, I play blades. But at the moment, I am intrigued by some sets of game-improvement irons (Callaway XF), and the technology behind them.

Do any of you play game-improvement irons? And if so, what are some Pros and Cons of playing them.

Thanks!

I'm a Zero and have gamed i25s, iE1s and now PXGs which are all considered Game Improvement. I thought I would never give up my MP-14s, but after a few rounds of watching miss hits fall on the green and not the bunker, there was no going back.
TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 Fuji Ventus Black 6S
Callaway Epic SubZero 16.5 Fuji Ventus 7S
PING i500 3 iron UST Recoil 95 F4
PING i500 5 iron Steelfiber i95S
TaylorMade 790 irons 6-PW
Vokey SM8 Raw 50F 54S 59K 62M
Scotty Cameron Timeless CS

Play in a group with 8 guys. All single digits - 2 through 8. The 8 cap is the only one playing with blades...... A few use mid size cavity backs (ie. AP1 and Cobra S2 forged)........ couple others use Ping G20 and Cobra S2 Max.....

Interestingly, the 8 cap is a great driver of the ball. If only he could hit his irons..... :swoon:

I think one of the biggest problems with golf for amateurs is all this categorisation, calling clubs "Players irons", GI, SGI etc means ego starts to come into it, trying to look good amongst your peers. They should just be "clubs" and you pick the design that works best for you rather than worrying about needing to "progress" to blades for very little gain even with high ability. Most players would probably be better using the clubs offering the highest forgiveness for them and more emphasis made by stores about getting fit properly rather than buying off the rack.

8-9 handicap and I play G25's. Before I bought them I was a 19 handicap and bounced around trying all different kinds of irons. Once I got the G25's my game improved dramatically. I originally purchased 4-GW, but my confidence was so high with them I decided to add the SW and LW. I've holed out more times in the last 3 years with these wedges than my Cleveland's and Vokey's the previous 10 years combined. I think of my bag as the "no ego, play what works" type of bag.

Now if only I can find the answer to my driver, which is easily the worst part of my game!

Ping G Driver 10.5*
Ping G 3-Wood 14.5*
Ping G 7-Wood 20.5*
Ping G25 4-GW
Ping Glide 54* and 60*
Ping Anser Milled 3

Now if only I can find the answer to my driver, which is easily the worst part of my game!

Get a G25 or G30 driver and set it up for a 44-44.5" shaft. These clubs are the most forgiving drivers ever made and the shorter shaft will give you the best chance for solid contact. If you miss the fairway it's your fault, not the clubs.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Get a G25 or G30 driver and set it up for a 44-44.5" shaft. These clubs are the most forgiving drivers ever made and the shorter shaft will give you the best chance for solid contact. If you miss the fairway it's your fault, not the clubs.

I've actually tried that (with the G25, not the G30). I've owned more drivers with more shafts at different lengths than I care to admit. It's easily my most ho'd club. I've settled on the R15 for now because while it may be inconsistent, at least I win the occasional long drive at local tournaments lol

Ping G Driver 10.5*
Ping G 3-Wood 14.5*
Ping G 7-Wood 20.5*
Ping G25 4-GW
Ping Glide 54* and 60*
Ping Anser Milled 3

I am a low handicap and if I played better with a GI club I would. But I play better with clubs with little offset and have a hard time looking down at a large club head. It really throws me off. Sure my mishits go farther with GI clubs but I hit them all over the place. I played well Hogan blades years ago then went for pings and callaways over a few years and I couldn't hit a green. I went to the mizuno mp 60's to get that smaller head, no offset, and some forgiveness and started hitting greens again. So for me, it is small blade type irons and I'll just deal with mishits not going as far. But at least they go straight.

I do. Play to a 5 and play the Nike vrs forged irons from 2012. Love the irons. Best set I've ever played. Forgiving,but not to forgiving. I can still work the ball as needed or flight the ball also.

I'll do one better and ad I play the sand wedge that matches the set too. The only wedge I have that doesn't match set is a 57 yururi chili wedge.