Tiger Woods - Signs with TaylorMade

Yanki01

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant move by TM. Imagine how their value will increase. Just one win by Tiger and they will likely see incredible increases in sales. Just adding him to the "family" is going to help but a win.....wow.

And if that win is a major, all bets are off.

This season is getting more and more interesting!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I wonder how many 2016 M2's sold today? Count me in as one of them.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Great price?

Please do tell - I too have been waiting for an awesome price drop. : )

And you are dead on. People may not like TW but the man can sell some clubs!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

So will it still be an inferior equipment issue?

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Hahaha make that two. I bought one from 3balls.com in Very Good condition for $191.00! I already have a M1, so it was conspicuous consumption. C4PaP9n.png

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

Brilliant move by TM. Imagine how their value will increase. Just one win by Tiger and they will likely see incredible increases in sales. Just adding him to the "family" is going to help but a win.....wow.

It's going to be huge....wait, wait, wait. How's his last equipment company doing......selling shirts and hats only.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Great price?

Please do tell - I too have been waiting for an awesome price drop. : )

And you are dead on. People may not like TW but the man can sell some clubs!

Price was pretty good. Paid about the same as MBA-J at GlobalGolf with my favourite shaft. I had a crapload of gift cards and was just waiting to spend it on something. This announcement was the universe answering my dilemma.

Looking forward to gaming it. I have an easier time turning it over than my G30 LS Tec. Plus my eardrums have exploded since using the PING. A muted sound with the M2 should let my ears heal. The other day I hit my G30 and some old guy looked over like it was the first sound he'd heard in years. Maybe it was.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

He's not going to be better playing Taylor made. The Nike equip he had was top notch. His issues have been health..putting..yips. hitting the m2 further doesn't mean much. Dj hits it longer then tiger..it's about approach shots to green and putting. As to comment about face slots..they are on new m1 and m2.

The Nike equipment was so top-notch that Tiger took a lot of it out of his bag the day Nike said he could in August

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

no clue what they could pay him with so much uncertainty. He could tweak his back on first tee tomorrow and be out another year or two or be done entirely. This could happen on any swing moving forward. It's got to be mostly incentive based or maybe TM just said screw it and paid him an insane number and thats how they got him.

Don't worry. Taylor Made has already made their money with this announcement during the PGA show. Orders for M1 and M2 has probably gone up 10 times.

Sorry amigo. but it does not work that way. No reasonable increase will happen unless he plays really well and wins. Not one customer today even mentioned the announcement.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I don't want to see him in that awful soccer logo.

what soccer logo, i love adidas

Second worst logo in sports apparel.

Ok, I'll bite. What's the worst?

I'd say under armour is up there, but can think of a few more. Old school adidas logo is much better, don't know why is doesn't get more play stateside.

You are correct.

you mean this one?

adidas-trefoil-logo.png

if so, i agree...they should use it more, but it probably doesn't package as neatly on apparel items like hats.

Far better.

It's going to be huge....wait, wait, wait. How's his last equipment company doing......selling shirts and hats only.

I'm of the opinion that Tiger has likely sold more golf equipment than any other player (an argument could be made now that Rickie is the biggest, I suppose). That said, he can't sell equipment that lacks quality and consumer appeal. Nike failed because of the latter, not because of Tiger's inability to move the needle.

BTW, since I know Nike is an emotional product for many, let me clarify that I had an entire bag of Nike gear on more than one occasion. At one point, you would have found me with 14 Nike clubs (original blades, SQ driver, T60 FWs, SV Tour wedges, and whatever that god-awful unitized putter was) all in a Nike staff bag. But, when they stopped producing irons like the original blades, pro combos, and original VR irons, and started covering their driver, FW, and hybrids in trendy colors with poor quality finishes, they lost the golf consumer. It didn't help that demos were few and far between. Tiger moves the needle like no other, but THAT needle was pegged at "empty" when it came to market desirability.

no clue what they could pay him with so much uncertainty. He could tweak his back on first tee tomorrow and be out another year or two or be done entirely. This could happen on any swing moving forward. It's got to be mostly incentive based or maybe TM just said screw it and paid him an insane number and thats how they got him.

Don't worry. Taylor Made has already made their money with this announcement during the PGA show. Orders for M1 and M2 has probably gone up 10 times.

Sorry amigo. but it does not work that way. No reasonable increase will happen unless he plays really well and wins. Not one customer today even mentioned the announcement.

That's the way we think marketing works, but not how it actually works. For Tiger, as long as he's playing and visible, he's an unparalleled marketer.

"Consuegra said that having staff Tour players such as Brandt Snedeker and Matt Kuchar is extremely valuable, but Woods’s use of a Bridgestone ball created an immediate impact. In fact, Consuegra said Bridgestone’s website received about the same amount of traffic last Monday through Friday that it did in the entire third quarter of this year (July-September), and most of those visitors were going to the Tour B330S page."

That was before Tiger had even signed. One week of Tiger better than 13 weeks without him.

https://www.google.com/amp/golfweek.com/2016/12/08/the-tiger-effect-woods-provides-value-to-equipment-makers-without-a-contract/amp/?client=safari

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'm of the opinion that Tiger has likely sold more golf equipment than any other player (an argument could be made now that Rickie is the biggest, I suppose). That said, he can't sell equipment that lacks quality and consumer appeal. Nike failed because of the latter, not because of Tiger's inability to move the needle.

BTW, since I know Nike is an emotional product for many, let me clarify that I had an entire bag of Nike gear on more than one occasion. At one point, you would have found me with 14 Nike clubs (original blades, SQ driver, T60 FWs, SV Tour wedges, and whatever that god-awful unitized putter was) all in a Nike staff bag. But, when they stopped producing irons like the original blades, pro combos, and original VR irons, and started covering their driver, FW, and hybrids in trendy colors with poor quality finishes, they lost the golf consumer. It didn't help that demos were few and far between. Tiger moves the needle like no other, but THAT needle was pegged at "empty" when it came to market desirability.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Nike making a profit in the hard goods, just not up to Nikes standard and what they are used to in other sports?

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Nike making a profit in the hard goods, just not up to Nikes standard and what they are used to in other sports?

Yes, profit may be an overstatement but they weren't losing money.

Nike may not have appealed to the masses, the reasons don't really matter at this point. The return on investment wasn't meeting NIKE targets, that was the primary reason to exit the equipment business. Thinking they could obtain return on equipment like apparel/shoes just isn't going to happen..........ever. Too many manufactures and not enough demand and growth to sustain present industry business models.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

True, but they weren't bleeding red.

I haven't look at the P&L's; most likely they are available online somewhere. I just remember the press release issued by NIKE when Cindy Davis announced that she would be "retiring" as President of Nike Golf. The wording was something like.........we thank Cindy for six year of sustained, profitable growth.....wish her well.......bla, bla, bla......

My gut feel is executive leadership wanted her to get margins up and ROI up to some X numbers. She probably thought in her head.......yeah good luck with that and planned her exit from Nike Golf.

They bring in a new President that doesn't know anything about the equipment business, like the rest of the top level management and they are out of the equipment business within two years............IMO.

I forget if Nike was making any profit in hard goods, but Nike Golf was Nike's worst-performing sector

My understanding was that they were in the black, but the profit margin is so low on equipment that they determined it wasn't worth the operating cost to generate such a relatively small profit, and that greater margins existed in soft-line goods which is where they were going to focus all of their golf segment's focus.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

I forget if Nike was making any profit in hard goods, but Nike Golf was Nike's worst-performing sector

My understanding was that they were in the black, but the profit margin is so low on equipment that they determined it wasn't worth the operating cost to generate such a relatively small profit, and that greater margins existed in soft-line goods which is where they were going to focus all of their golf segment's focus.

yeah I think this is what I read....

• 3 weeks later...

Below is a picture posted by a developmental tour player that made a recent visit to TaylorMade. Unlikely that they had a TM staff bag with a Tiger head cover in the lobby until recently. I'm pretty sure TM will find a way to let Tiger "help" add value to their brand, regardless of his successful, or lack of, return to competitive golf.

That's the way we think marketing works, but not how it actually works. For Tiger, as long as he's playing and visible, he's an unparalleled marketer.

"Consuegra said that having staff Tour players such as Brandt Snedeker and Matt Kuchar is extremely valuable, but Woods's use of a Bridgestone ball created an immediate impact. In fact, Consuegra said Bridgestone's website received about the same amount of traffic last Monday through Friday that it did in the entire third quarter of this year (July-September), and most of those visitors were going to the Tour B330S page."

That was before Tiger had even signed. One week of Tiger better than 13 weeks without him.

https://www.google.c.../?client=safari

That is great news for Bridgestone and their web site designer. Now let's see if Bridgestone's next quarterly report indicates a big bump in ball sales.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft